Sign in to follow this  
Rambos_Nachbar

Trackhat and PS3 Camera questions

Hi guys, I recently bought myself the Trackhat headtracking system and loving it so far.

I only have two questions to anybody he has opentrack or a PS 3 camera. first one is, can I deactivate the Camera when I'm not flying? The blue light is constantly on, which is not a real problem, the problem is, that it is the light is on when I switch the computer off. so far only unpluging helped.

Next questions is, do you guys have any suggestions for mapping in opentrack? Like the degree ratio and deadzones?

thanks in advance 

Rambos Nachbar

As far as I know you cannot deactivate the camera, it's like a blue light special. I use a 3 pt clip w/opentrack, not sure how you would like to set the degree/deadzones. Best way to set it up is to make the adjustments while opentrack is running to see how you like it. I can upload an ini file that I use that will show you my mappings, just remove the txt part of the extension.

2.3.9 testing.ini.txt

Normally the blue light is out when your PC is off. Exception is when you use the camera plugged into a powered USB hub (as I do). In this latter case the blue light is always on (as the camera is powered through the hub which is powered all the time). Not a big issue, the blue light is something like the stand-by light on TVs. Blue light: camera is powered AND off. The camera is on when both the blue and the red lights are on.

Mine is plugged into a USB port on my PC, so when the PC is off, the light is off. I very rarely shut my PC down so the blue light is always lit. Let me know if you have any other questions about Opentrack.

I run mine at 75 hz at 640x480, the larger resolution helps with preventing some overlapping of the LEDs.

It doesn't make any sense to set it to a higher value than what your monitor supports. Check the max refresh rate of your monitor at the given resolution. Setting it to 120 Hz while your monitor is refreshed at 75 Hz is a waste of resources.

Similarly, it doesn't make much sense to set the value higher than what your PC can keep FPS-wise when running the game. 

E.g. my display only supports 60 Hz, so I set Opentrack to 60 Hz and I also limit my in-game FPS to 60 using vSync.

As a rule of thumb, you don't need what you can't see.  ;)

I run mine at 75 hz at 640x480, the larger resolution helps with preventing some overlapping of the LEDs.

Thanks, will try it out.

As a rule of thumb, you don't need what you can't see.  ;)

My game runs at 143 fps on a 144 hz monitor.

Then go for the better resolution as Gramps has suggested. Believe me, beyond 60 FPS/Hz you won't see any difference.

Edited by sniperton

Will do, makes sense to me.

Ps:

Believe me, beyond 60 FPS/Hz you won't see any difference.

I hope you mean by that the ps3 camera and not fps/hz in general on a monitor. I honestly hope that, cause I don't really want to discuss this.

Yep, head trackers have a smoothing algorithm, so that any faster head movement (if physically possible) is evened out at the output. Once you have 60 or 75 Hz, resolution becomes more important than any further gain in tracking speed.

More samples per second = greatest smoothness and responsiveness. What you can't see you can feel. The best solution is to much all in the same unit of time which in practice is impossible to do but some small differences drop beyond human recognitions. All prediction/interpolation algorithms by they nature make errors.