Sign in to follow this  
Nic727

Can't takeoff with Ju88

Hi,

I have some difficulties with German planes.

First of all, I have problem taking off with the Ju88. I have flap down, max speed, but can't go up. If I remove flap, my plane go down most of the time, I have a broken Engine 1 because too much power (overheat). Do I need to do something else?

Do German aircrafts have some radiator controls? All seem automatic, but always have problem with overheat engine.

Also, with the Ju88 (and other plane), what's the feathering propeller function? I tried it, but when at 100% power, my plane doesn't move at all. After that I tried to remove it "Rotating propeller", but my plane wasn't able to move either. Maybe I broke something in the game...

Thank you for your help.

thx

-----------------

EDIT:

I must do something wrong... I don't know how the plane work lol. I should have a proper in-game training. The only thing I can change is prop-pitch (RPM) and radiator. I tried other controls, but nothing move like in the video. I tried taking off again, but my engine was leaking water for no reason after 30 seconds. Also, can't go up more than 100m because flap up = going down. Also, they are saying to use cruise speed, but it's like 30% power... Can't go up with that much power right?

Someone want to join me in a server and train me on this plane?

Edited by Nic727

Not sure what time zone you are in but I will be in the TAW Training Server in about 2 hours - @ 20:30 US Central Time. I would be glad to help you.

What about tomorrow (August 30) around same hour?

Text Chat or TS? Don't have TS and never use mic, but if you want I can figure how it works lol. Normally use text chat in the game.

Edited by Nic727

Get TS and take HvB up on that offer!  (He's one of the best in that plane!!)

TS and/or Discord is vital for this game online. 

For right now I suggest only drop your flaps just before you lift off the ground in hot temperatures, often you won't need flaps at all.  Wait until you have at least 300m in altitude before you retract flaps.

When you open the map (O), read the tab that has the aircraft information.  Watch Requiem's video again, learn where the instruments are, and set your engine to the settings you read in the map screen.  Don't just use the technochat warnings that pop up, learn where the instruments are and you will very quickly learn the plane.

Important gauges are Engine RPM, and Manifold Pressure (ATA).

• Upvote 1

I have a love hate relationship with this plane.... love it once it's in the air, but getting the damn thing in the air is a pain.  tapping the breaks to keep it straight down the runway is a hit or miss experience for me.  Rudder is useless................ lol..............  It seems even harder since the patch yesterday............. that was the first thing I did was ground test all the German planes.............  Bf-110 for taking off in a wild left turn while trying to taxi, 109's spinning donuts..... I'm having an idea of using an axis tune on my stick to enable tailwheel lock/unlock using percent of axis deflection like the 190 has by default.............  all the new FM's are great, but getting them up in the air is a test of wills sometimes.

Cheers

Hoss

Edited by 1./JG54_Hoss
  • Upvote 1

Sadly the bad ground handling of the Ju-88 in Il2-BoX survived the 2.012-update, especially on dirt strips ... workaround for me is throttling up with 85-90 % prop-pitch until the rudder is effective.

• Upvote 1

Well, the easiest way to get to a stable position is to lift the tail as fast as possible , so : full stick forward, full throttle , release breaks - go . I release flaps at around 170km/h , the plane is pretty easy to control in this manner

In that video by Requiem he states "Use differential power" to correct L/R movement while taking off.................. well there is no differential power for twin engines............. I only found one throttle axis assignment in settings.  The use of brakes during take off is the only way to correct direction until you get up enough speed to get the rudder to work.  And taking off on anything but hard runways is a major undertaking..............  I have tried over and over to get the 88 off the ground on most servers, but have a very hard time.  LOL, I know the other players are saying "Freakin noob"............... can't get his 88 off the ground..... hope he doesn't take anyone out with him....

Cheers

Hoss

I had never noticed that before.....................I have a Warthog throttle so it should work.............. but if you choose option 1 for engine one, and start it, the option 2 for engine 2 and start it, will it see both throttles as seperate and apply power or do you have to choose option 0 to choose all engines and then lose differential throttles?................ guess I'm gonna have to try it out.  Because when you choose option 2 it the game will not see engine one and only increases power to engine two..................... interesting, I see lots of hate and discontent coming trying to see if I can make it work, and then having to get used to two different throttles and keeping them in sync.

Love this game............

Thanks and Cheers

Hoss

One thing I have started to do is place the plane at the end of the runway. make sure it has stopped. set pitch to 50%, then slowly bring throttle up to 100%, then slowly bring the pitch to 100%. Seems to induce less torque.

Yes, the Ju 88 is extremely frustrating in BoX. Hopefully it will get some attention at some point from the Devs. In the meantime, I suggest the following:

• Use 2x throttles (one for each engine) if you can.
  • When taxiing about, try reducing the prop-pitch a bit to make it gentler. Reset when about to take-off
    (see Tailwheelbrownbears comment above... I've not tried it, but it sounds a good idea!)
  • If you have toe brakes, use them. If not, map some keys that you can easily tap at, to slow down
  • Toes brakes are better, as you can apply a little bit of braking rather than the on/off you get with a key
  • If using keys, get used to quickly tapping them.
  • When learning, pick an airfield with a long, wide runway so you have plenty of room.
  • When taxiing... go slowly. Really slowly. Until you get the hang of it.
  • Until you get used to it, reduce your fuel load. 30% is usually fine, esp. when starting.
  • Reduce your bomb load too. Take minimal bombs while starting out.
  • Always take off with flaps. You get into the air faster, thus reducing the ground-spin risk.
  • Don't be afraid to use some brakes while steering and you ramp up to full-speed for takeoff.

Sadly, there is no easy way to deal with the ground handling. 'Tis a pity, as I otherwise really like the Ju 88.