Han

Game version 2.012 discussion: Hs 129, Kuban map, FM update, New shadows

Hi,

I'll start off by saying I'm a big fan of this series. I'd like to know more about the haze. It might just be that I've been playing other Il2 titles for a while but I don't remember the haze being quite so strong. For me it takes away from the scenery, I'll keep flying around and getting a feel for it.

Anyway, why did the devs make the haze this way? It looks almost identical to how it is to fly when there is a strong inversion and I like the way it seems to clear up above cloud but it'd be nice to have the option or some weather conditions where it is crystal clear.

Thanks

The horizon haze simply hides the "drawing" of the landscape. It's a legacy holdover from our earliest days, not because we are trying to help performance, but because our guys didn't know how to draw that far without bugs. After many years of experience and growing tired of this issue I spoke to our team and decided now was the time to try and make it better. We know what the competition does in this regard and we aim to beat them. The end result should be a better looking horizon. And seeing our map without an "atmosphere" will make your eyes bleed. Haze is needed to some degree always. The FSX/P3D/XP11 engines do a great job of simulating scenery at long ranges, but they also don't do combat. We'd love to make a next gen scenery rendered, but that takes a lot of time of our lead programmer.

Jason

• Upvote 31

Jason, what is the biggest fps eater in VR when switching from balanced to ultra - The texture resolutions?

Could we please get an option to increase drawing distance of ground objects to ultra/4x levels , when playing on balanced/high in VR?

And could we please get the option to stop rendering the propeller disk so that ASW from oculus does not bug out the picture? Having asw available helps getting a much smoother experience..

• Upvote 1

The horizon haze simply hides the "drawing" of the landscape. It's a legacy holdover from our earliest days, not because we are trying to help performance, but because our guys didn't know how to draw that far without bugs. After many years of experience and growing tired of this issue I spoke to our team and decided now was the time to try and make it better. We know what the competition does in this regard and we aim to beat them. The end result should be a better looking horizon. And seeing our map without an "atmosphere" will make your eyes bleed. Haze is needed to some degree always. The FSX/P3D/XP11 engines do a great job of simulating scenery at long ranges, but they also don't do combat. We'd love to make a next gen scenery rendered, but that takes a lot of time of our lead programmer.

Jason

Thank you for this detail.

Jason

A very interesting and appreciated explanation; it's pretty awesome to get a bit of insight into the inside of operations.

We need Command Formation (Trail Formation) option for AI flights in those mountains.

Left Edge,Right Edge and V formations don't work so well for making AI flights snake down the valleys.

We need Command Formation (Trail Formation) option for AI flights in those mountains.

Left Edge,Right Edge and V formations don't work so well for making AI flights snake down the valleys.

Formation Column in Settings/Keymap/Orders? Does this not work for aircraft? It used to in RoF.

Managed to get a couple of hours in last night. Absolutely wonderful stuff.

Such varied scenery too. I found myself in a P-40, flying lazy eights over a wide muddy river not unlike the Markham in New Guinea. It made me laugh at the sheer pleasure of it. If I'd spotted a pair of Zeros down low over the trees, I wouldn't have been at all surprised.

• Upvote 1

All i can say is, now that you've released the latest patch....pleeeeeease bring me my A20B :) I long to fly bombers for the russians (I'm not a fan of the PE-2 - i don't know what it is, but i do love the H-111/JU88) so I'm eagerly awaiting this. 

Impressive work guys! Thanks for the hard work and the on-time release.

Something you don't see too often these days :)

+ P40 is much better now

+ the sea looks amazing

+ very nice to hear that you guys try to get rid of the near haze effect (something I had on my wishlist forever)

+ new FMs seem to feel a bit more realistic now in general (exception of a Me110 which I bleed out in very high AoA without stalling...? With a Hs129 I crashed at landing though, as expected. But furher testing needed).

+ the map seems to be quite diversified

+ I like the new armored glass

+ morning lighting is awesome!

+ ships!

+ the Hs129 looks and feels really great - have to test that beast this weekend

- Had a bug where I quit a quick mission and then couldn't get out of the after-flight menu due to no button for "exit" showing up.

- In a quick flight I got shot by tanks (?) on the parking area starting up my plane. I think some enemies were placed too near to the plyer.

- the harbours and towns around them still look a bit "lifeless" or empty for my taste

- I still have issues, where my "head" in VR isn't where its supposed to  be - mainly in the late Il2 and now also in the HS129 (to a lesser extend). It seems as if the default view is too far to the right in the Henschel and way too low in the Il2. I can work arround but it's annoying.

- I think it's time for a new graphics card...

All in all a very, very pleasant update! Can't wait for the SP campaign, then I can re-locate my Stuka from Stalingrad map and fly my daily mission in a warmer surrounding ;):)

Cheers

Jason

This is really great news. The long-range visibility has been an issue for the high-alt bombers and recon pilots. If IL2 could come even close to X-Plane, that would be fantastic.

Loving the mountains so much, I have a deadly attraction to them. Flying low and hugging the curves is risky. With no physical sense of attitude and no in-plane attitude indicator, your nose can quickly reach stall angle without realising it, even if it looks like you're 'level' with the ground.  :blink:  :o:

In just to say great job again, and since I posted in this topic about my crash issues (sorry) I can say the latest nVidia drivers semm to have fixed the problem. Played for 2 hours last night, flawless.

Hmm,where was I when they issued life vests? Allready drowned like doze times  :biggrin:

I thought this update was also going to come with the new dynamic campaign. I don't see it in the change notes, so I am thinking maybe I misread that somewhere. any way, does any one know when we can expect the new dynamic campaign? 

Edit: I found a source looks like October. can't wait  :)

Edited by =SqSq=switch201

This is really great news. The long-range visibility has been an issue for the high-alt bombers and recon pilots. If IL2 could come even close to X-Plane, that would be fantastic.

This will not change how objects are drawn. Only terrain and horizon. 

Jason

Had several hours yesterday to spend with the new update. It was pure joy to just flying around and explore the wonderful map and witness the outstanding new shadows. Nothing but outstanding!!!

And that there isn't even a hotfix necessary after that immense update, proofs how incredible talented you guys are! :)

I have not time to play a good hours on kuban map, but the 2 times I check it is spectacular. Thank you very much devs for the great effort and dedication.

I have read some comments about issues but they have not happened to me. But to install this update I had to delete the folder (content) UPDATE because the game never started the update check and could not play because it asked me to update it.

It is not something serious but after installing it,  the only problem I currently have is that every time I start the game I have to change the language.  I need it in Spanish but when I start it again it is in English, and change and restart. Any suggestions about this?

Great day (or night) to all!

Thank you

An important update.

I'm a casual singleplayer. The FM adjustments have completely changed my experience. Where once gunnery was so difficult progressing in the scripted campaigns was a chore, now it's a pleasure. Before. 2.012, I had attempted the P-40 standalone mission protecting shipping over Klin 4 times without success. Today I completed it first time with 7 victories. I eagerly anticipate more scripted campaigns to buy and the new career generator. 

I haven't noticed it mentioned much, but the improved shadows are not only cosmetic. My sense of direction IRL is superb. Whereas, when peering at the world through a 24'' monitor, I have difficulty tracking my cardinal points. The shadows cast on the landscape mean I can quickly ascertain the direction of the sun, which reorients me. Further, the shadows cast by the terrain serve to bring new depth to the landscape on a flat screen, and make the faithful rendered wilderness more beautiful than ever before. 

Thank you team for continuing to improve this franchise beyond adding new planes and maps (though I'll buy all of those too :) ). Every bit of polish I could want for this sim is slowly being added.

Regards

Albino

Any word on how the Folgore feels compared to other planes after the patch? There was some talk about it in a german-speaking Youtube video, i think they said it's one of the "winners" of the FM change. But my german isn't the best, so i couldn't catch every word.

Just curious, i really like that plane

N3croo did a look at MC 202

Edited by [CPT]Pike*HarryM

Any word on how the Folgore feels compared to other planes after the patch? There was some talk about it in a german-speaking Youtube video, i think they said it's one of the "winners" of the FM change. But my german isn't the best, so i couldn't catch every word.

Just curious, i really like that plane

It didn't feel any different to me, but i didnt test it extensively either.

Will they add in the future, more buildings, telegraph poles, etc?

You got it. I have reshape running. I'll check to disable it before exiting.  :)

Mine used to crash on exit with Reshade, but it's not manifested itself after this game update.

Does the AI have problems to take off with the Hs-129? It doesn't work, neither in Quick Missions nor in my own missions.

Does the AI have problems to take off with the Hs-129? It doesn't work, neither in Quick Missions nor in my own missions.

Certainly when I tried it from a grass airfield on AI, it kept drifting off to the right and then spinning the tail around.

Wonderful update.But I thought it included the campaign mode. For when is going to leave the campaign mode ??

Anyway great job

Hotfix?

Seems to be: 173 Mb. I expect the devs will post a patch note soon.

Hello everybody,

We were closely monitoring the forums for the last two days and corrected several issues that could be fixed quickly. The hotfix 2.012 brings the following changes:

1. Course corrections in the bomb sight mode became more precise;

2. Wind speed will no longer suddenly decrease or increase while approaching the airfileds in the mountains;

3. Adjustable stabilizer buttons control delay minimized;

4. Mouse controls are now compatible with the level autopilot and course correction commands, even in the bomb sight mode;

5. Flag capture messages were corrected;

6. Complex Trigger takes into account paratroopers properly now;

7. Marker colors were corrected in track replays;

8. Kuban map boundary limits now work correctly;

9. 'End of the world' on the Kuban map has been removed;

10. QMB on the Kuban map won't generate buildings too far from the starting point, decreasing the mission load time;

11. 7000 tons cargo ship has been added to the game;

12. 14000 tons armed tanker has been added to the game.

2012b.jpg

• Upvote 25

Nice, more targets!

Strange, mine was 563,3MB

Steam? It`s always bigger download

• Upvote 1