Han

Game version 2.012 discussion: Hs 129, Kuban map, FM update, New shadows

I'll be taking a half day off from work and starting the campaign build. Nice work Han and company.

• Upvote 4

Played it in VR (rift):

- shadows on max

- ULTRA settings

- 1.6 SS

flows like butter! Kuban map is off the hook. So glad for this update.

sucks there's no campaign for Kuban yet. :)) But my multi-plane ad-hoc missions are doing the trick for now!

Flied the twitchy Mig. The landings are much easier and it is definitely LESS twitchy if you keep the speed above 250..

Edited by peachmonkey

I just have to say... my mind is blown..

I am a hardcore DCS and Cliffs of Dover man, and for a long time I have been watching Il2 come into full fruiton from the sidelines, sceptical, after a initial release and strategy that did not impress me.

Boy do things change....

With all that has been coming to this sim, from excellent developer communication, truckloads of improvements and enhancements, flawless performance, excellent scripted campaigns, rock solid sound design and the best lighting and weather system in any combat sim I am completely sold. This will be one of, if not THE primary simming platform for me for a long time.

The new map is stunning. It is in fact the most gorgeous, believable and immersive environment I have ever enjoyed in a sim to date.

As a result of my experiences with the sim for the last couple of weeks and peaking with todays release, I have purchased all products  (with the current exception of a handful of collector planes. For now..)

Consider me on board. Long term and hardcore.

Congratulations on bringing this wonderful addition to our small but deply beloved genre.

• Upvote 10

Yeah very happy about the patch. 109 is a very different plane stability wise. Going to take some time to get a feel for everything that has been changed in this patch.

This....

Please use spoilers when using swastica. Thank you

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

I wanted to check both HS 129 and new map so I equipped it with Mk 103 with AP rounds.  

Well, this is how NPC IL-2 1942 ended  :lol:

VWXlhE6.jpg

• Upvote 1

is....

Awesome...

Please use spoilers when using swastica. Thank you

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

Mountain topography is tough to simulate (I've moved to quite a mountain region, so I can observe this kind of environment very closely!). I hope I'll move my rig up here soon, so that I can finally get my hands on this new patch. I can't wait to look at those new shadows!

For the lucky ones who can already test it, do mountains cast shadows on the terrain? Keep the pictures coming!

• Upvote 1

Spent some time with the P40. It may be placebo or just wishful thinking, but it seems much more competitive now, doesn't bleed so much energy in turns, and retains speed nicely.

Guys what about the p40 how does this machine handle differently now? Can we hear little on this machine please, cheers!

Extremely crashy on my rig (i7-4770K + SSD + 780ti)

After first 20 minutes of pure delight (everything is beautiful) first crash, then every time I restarted the game, a crash.
There's an error window, will try to screenshot it and post it for the developers.

And no, haven't had time to read around if there are known issues or fixes, sorry

Great, great, great news!

Why 3 times great?

A new plane equal one.

A new map equal two.

Many corrections to the FM and other equal 3.

Sp I give 3 hourras for speed and beauty plus 3 the team of developers themselfs, thanks.   :salute: 

• Upvote 2

Guys what about the p40 how do the changes feel?

Like I said above: it doesn't bleed so much energy in turns, and retains speed nicely. Only tried it against 2 AI 109-f4 ace, and dropped both, even though I am generally a poor pilot and certainly not a competent P40 flier. In the hands of a good pilot it's going to be really competitive, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Like I said above: it doesn't bleed so much energy in turns, and retains speed nicely. Only tried it against 2 AI 109-f4 ace, and dropped both, even though I am generally a poor pilot and certainly not a competent P40 flier. In the hands of a good pilot it's going to be really competitive, IMO.

What about the ridiculous rudder death slide? Cheers

Awesome!!! I have to wait until friday till i can try it out! Thank you DevTeam, ihr seit ein leuchtendes Beispiel!

• Upvote 2

What the hell!? Its not Thursday or Friday! We get a release early in the week!? Must be Xmas or something. Can't wait to try after work. Looks like you've got another major milestone early guys! Fantastic!

just did my first flight - and found myself tempted to stretch out my hand to see if it would cast a shadow.

... and that without VR ...

Awesome.

Immersive and beautiful this is.

Also, I am not a RL pilot, but planes now seem to behave much more as I always had expected them to behave. Not THAT shaky as it felt before.

All you will ever put out is bought ...

P-40 sounds interesting. I'll wait for a few more impressions first but it might actually be worth buying now.

Haven't played the Kuban map but, online WOL, first took up an Il2, nice but got shot down by a 109. Then a Lagg3 and was very happy and then went with a Pe2 on a bombing run.

Not sure which map it was running but, tye trees, water, shadowns, and more importantly the flight characteristics of the aircraft = nice.

It looks much better and detail is easier to make out on the ground for ground pounders.  The flying is more fluid especially the Lagg3. It wasn't so wanting to plow the ground with decent control inputs. I was having fun flying instead of panicing about stalling out in moderate manouvers.

Even the German fliers on tye server were happy. I asked if they had anything to whine about and they said all was great.))

Well done Devs and thank you.  Now to find more time to fly.

I cant stop. Wetting my pants.

As someone who started his computer career in the late seventies, I just cant believe how you are able to render these thousands of trees with this detail, and each single one casting a realistic shadow.

There must be a cheat.

• Upvote 1

P-40 sounds interesting. I'll wait for a few more impressions first but it might actually be worth buying now.

Big thumbs up for the new P40 from me.

What about the ridiculous rudder death slide? Cheers

Gone.

I do not have idea on how many hours i have spendt in the Kuban map in the old il2 1946.

Fly over Novorossiysk bay and once again land at Myskhako airport gave me tears in the eyes of nostalgia and happiness.

The game and fps is smoot as silk :) Good Job Team!

Edited by Wandalen
  • Upvote 2

I just got my first taste of Kuban - wow!

What a beautiful map, the new shadows, the trees , the water and all the detail is just gorgeous. What an impressive update!

And I am still getting very good performance in VR as well. 

What an incredible job with this update !! Some very good times ahead!

I cant stop. Wetting my pants.

As someone who started his computer career in the late seventies, I just cant believe how you are able to render these thousands of trees with this detail, and each single one casting a realistic shadow.

There must be a cheat.

Yeah, if you were lucky something like this was your flightsim.

Great work. Thank you for continuing to support and expand this wonderful series.

You'll NEVER top the:  "Oh, and by the way, we added Oculus Rift VR capability"   surprise though ... but this is close/   :biggrin:

Does this mean we no longer need SteamVR to play IL2?

Gorgeous screenshots BTW!!

I can attest to the P40's redemption in its newly achieved realistic glory!

it is not just "better" - it is a whole new aircraft to fly - and quite a joy to do so!

the infamous death slide is no more (a million hoots!) I've tested that first thing as soon as I fired up .012 --- now, a full rudder deflection is just that, and the nose comes to rest at an angle depending on your airspeed and pedal pressure - it does not induce a mortal spin

in fact, even with intense maneuvering, I have not actually had this treat of an aircraft spin out on me today at all - even in a very low speed dogfight against a 110, which before would have sent me spinning to an early grave, no doubt, it held it's own, and the 110 went down under the punishing fury of those .50 cals 

the plane feels very tight and responsive, even light to the controls now - a pure joy to fly, though not capable of outperforming much with engine power alone - it can very well turn inside a 109, similarly to how you'd do so in a spitfire

I am in deep awe - this is the day which prophecy foretold! 

many cheers

• Upvote 4

Yet another nights without sleeping for our mighty dev team...

Congratulation guys, seriously, you are such "OP" team.

I admire your work, dedication. 

Keep up the good work, IL2 BOX is really becoming a reference, like old days! for the best!

• Upvote 1

I can attest to the P40's redemption in its newly achieved realistic glory!

it is not just "better" - it is a whole new aircraft to fly - and quite a joy to do so!

the infamous death slide is no more (a million hoots!) I've tested that first thing as soon as I fired up .012 --- now, a full rudder deflection is just that, and the nose comes to rest at an angle depending on your airspeed and pedal pressure - it does not induce a mortal spin

in fact, even with intense maneuvering, I have not actually had this treat of an aircraft spin out on me today at all - even in a very low speed dogfight against a 110, which before would have sent me spinning to an early grave, no doubt, it held it's own, and the 110 went down under the punishing fury of those .50 cals 

the plane feels very tight and responsive, even light to the controls now - a pure joy to fly, though not capable of outperforming much with engine power alone - it can very well turn inside a 109, similarly to how you'd do so in a spitfire

I am in deep awe - this is the day which prophecy foretold! 

many cheers

I will save some money and buy it then  :fly:

Sat on Nightshift!!!!

great to hear the update is going down a storm, but especially pleased that the P40 has been transformed, it's one of my favourite planes and have been disappointed with its handling. Can't wait to get home and give it a whirl.

please keep the pics coming.

Cheers

Anybody else notice anything weird about 2.012 on VR?  I went in to run a few tests with the VR benchmark track after the update, and the first think I noticed is that when I start the game with my Rift my monitor displays a full screen, two-sided (split screen) view showing both halves (as if showing what each eye is seeing in the Rift).  Before the update, I saw sort of a one-eyed/one-sided view in the middle of my screen, showing what looked like was probably what my right eye was seeing in the Rift.

Other thing I noticed is that something about the new settings tanked my average FPS in VR - went from:

2.011 (ultra settings everything maxed out):  Frames: 4446 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 74.100 - Min: 44 - Max: 91

to

2.012 (ultra settings everything maxed out):  Frames: 3329 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 55.483 - Min: 44 - Max: 88

Gonna have to do a lot more testing to figure out which aspect(s) of the new settings are having the worst impact.  Will report the rest of the test results in the VR benchmark thread - just wanted to see if anybody else has experienced anything similar with the new update yet.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

maybe you have to re-enable the VR mod in the graphics settings?

Gonna have to do a lot more testing to figure out which aspect(s) of the new settings are having the worst impact.  Will report the rest of the test results in the VR benchmark thread - just wanted to see if anybody else has experienced anything similar with the new update yet.

Everything seems normal so far on my end.

I wonder if maybe all the changes that have been made graphically and FM wise since the version that trk file was created with might have an affect on it...

Edited by dburne

Anybody else notice anything weird about 2.012 on VR?  I went in to run a few tests with the VR benchmark track after the update, and the first think I noticed is that when I start the game with my Rift my monitor displays a full screen, two-sided (split screen) view showing both halves (as if showing what each eye is seeing in the Rift).  Before the update, I saw sort of a one-eyed/one-sided view in the middle of my screen, showing what looked like was probably what my right eye was seeing in the Rift.

Other thing I noticed is that something about the new settings tanked my average FPS in VR - went from:

2.011 (ultra settings everything maxed out):  Frames: 4446 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 74.100 - Min: 44 - Max: 91

to

2.012 (ultra settings everything maxed out):  Frames: 3329 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 55.483 - Min: 44 - Max: 88

Yes, I have also the two pictures on my screen.

Maybe the new shadows affect your performance, tune them down a bit. I can`t see any negative effect of the new version concerning performance.