Andrej1972

I wish to buy BoS

Hello Fellow Pilots!

I have played pretty long time with RoF, but now I wish to start BoS, but I am not quite sure where to start. I see there are three "episodes" are running now, although it is not quite clear to be if Battle of Kuban is released or not...

I have read that RoF like career can also be played in BoK, and if I understood correctly also in BoS.

Finally I just wish to ask which episode should I start with?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Battlle of Kuban is still under development, the early access map for it will be released just about any day now. The final release of BoK sometime toward the end of the year.

Battle of Stalingrad, the original is a great one to start with. A nice plane set comes with it as well.

The new career mode is coming sometime between now and end of year, maybe couple of months or so.

Welcome to the forums and this great sim!

Edited by dburne

Welcome!

Some considerations:

There is a sale now, you get one full episode then a 30% discount on three extra aircraft of your choice. I'd recommend Battle of Stalingrad plus the Yak-1b, Fw-190A-3 and Ju-52 or La-5 depending on your preferences. If you like some oldies, get BoM for the 109E, I-16 and miG-3.

The RoF-style career is in the works, but it should be out around October give or take. It will work for BoS, M and K equally.

Battle of Kuban is running on an early access (ie unrelessed) regime where content is made available little by little. Within the next two weeks an update with the Kuban map, Hs-129 and a major flight model overhaul will come.

Also: Keep in mind, that regardless of which title you buy, the launcher will install the entire sim, BoM, BoS and BoK (what has been released of it so far) your access will just be restricted in-game to the content that you own.

The three titles are not separate games. They are parts of one single game.

I wrote a guide on which IL-2 I think a new player should buy. Definitely check it out! :)

https://stormbirds.wordpress.com/2017/03/12/which-il-2-should-i-buy/

In short though I'd say that IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad is a great place to start if you want a complete entry in the series. IL-2: Battle of Moscow is also complete and I enjoy it quite a bit too... and of course we're all very excited for the next content update for IL-2: Battle of Kuban which is still in development.

As the others have already mentioned, IL-2 may have three titles but its one game platform. You have access to the content that you've bought and the rest is there in the install but not available unless you purchase it. The exception is multiplayer where you can fly on a map you don't own - but the server still has to make the aircraft that you own flyable otherwise you won't be able to do much. Fortunately, there is a lot of overlap in aircraft sets from Moscow to Stalingrad to Kuban so usually you can find something!

Many thanks for your replies mates.

I am now then most probably buy BoS, plus possibly one extra aircraft. At the moment I have an older Logitech Freedom 2.4 joystick, and I have used this for RoF in the past. I just hope that for the moment it will also be adequate for BoS as well. ;)

I was always a simulator fan, I used FS9, and FSX in the past, but I gave up with them, since there were no further development from Microsoft, and finally I did not invested money into P3D or X Plane, since I looked for some combat simulation. Then I picked up RoF which was also interesting. For the past months I used different MMO games, like WoT or WT, but again I got bored with the endless grinding, and mostly brainless teams, which made me nervous. :lol:

So again, I am now looking for some challenging, and "relaxing" simulation. :P

Welcome here.

As a user of RoF, i can give you another feedback. Your joystick will be limited if you want to manage your engine (expert mode) with some planes. There are many new commands for planes. But you can begin with your joystick using keys and if you like the game, you can spend more money in control later.

German fighter will be ok with your joystick as they have many automatism for the engine, even if you fly in expert mode.

If you like planes where you have a target paint on your fuselage (Hp 0/400 or Gotha) and want some new gameplay, you can have a look on the JU52. With that plane dev introduce new gameplay. You can drop cargo and paratrooper, and unload cargo.

Be advise that some control are specific with some plane. For exemple, you can use axis for oil and water radiator. But in some plane, as the control is not an axis, you can't use your axis to operate them. In the HE111, you can't use axis to open the Oil radiator because it's not an axis on the real airplane. So, control which work on one plane can't work on another one.

To choose the game, have a look on the plane which are include. Choose the one you want to fly. And as RoF with chanel map, you can fly every plane on every map. The limitation is the mission builder. If the mission builder do not use the plane you own, you can't fly. It's easier than Rof because there are package.

Keep in mind that even if you don't have the map, you can fly on it in multiplayer, not in single player. For exemple :

You bought BoS : You have access :

- Map stalingrad in single (QMB, campaign and single mission) and Multiplayer

- Map Moscow only in multiplayer and if the mission builder use planes which are in the BoS package.

- Map Kuban only in multiplayer and if the mission builder use planes which are in the BoS package. (if dev does as for moscow, not sure at 100%)

There are other maps included in some package which are not use in MP (it's a choice of the mission builder).

Bos is a good start, but i think that Kuban is another one. i'm pretty sure that many server will use that map very soon.  ;)

Edited by Habu

Thanks for the feedback. Actually there are enough buttons on my joy for elevator trim, flaps, mixture and prop pitch. Oil and water radiators I must map to keyboard, but as you wrote Bf109s have automatic prop pitch, mixture, and radiator controls. ;)

For Russian planes it is a bit more complicated, but also challenging! I have heard rumors about Russian bias in this game, but engine management is surely not one of them. :P

One more issue, I might be able to buy a new joystick or hots system for my birthday. Which one would you suggest? With reasonable price quality ratio.

T.16000 HOTAS is probably the best value-for-money.

• Upvote 2

Hm.. I might not have enough money to buy both stick and throttle lever, but as I can see the T16000 stick has many buttons, and also throttle.

Also look into the VKB Gladiator in the US/Canada and Russia, called Speedlink Airrow in Europe, if you want a more traditional design :)

Guest deleted@30725

Depends on what planes you want. All planes are fun, all maps are good.

Thanks guys for all your kind support. I have purchased BoS, and now I can hardly wait my T16000M to arrive. I have already ordered it, and should arrive in about a week. Till then I am practicing with my old Logitech Freedom 2.4. I really enjoy this simulation, and I also hope that developers will further improve it with future content. ;)