Herne

IL2 In Space

I would love to see a space sim, with some IL2 fidelity built into the ship systems, and flying. Originally I was hoping that Star Citizen might fill that gap, but now i'm really not so sure, and I think it will have a whole load of fluff that I simply have no interest in.

1CGS don't make space games, but if they did, they would probably be the best space games in the world ;) 

hypothetically, If they were to kickstart such a project to see if there was a demand for such a game and allow them to get additional devs to build it. Would such a game get much support from the IL2 community ?

It goes without saying that they would have mine.

• Like 1

Hard to make space sim if you don't know what to simulate :P i Enjoyed star wars TIE/Xwing games but what i can tell by playing older (and watching new ones) it's not really sim which is shame.. Flying is so easy and all the controls you have is power to engine, shields or weapons.

So yea, would be nice to get something more advanced with engine control, advanced damage, on ship repairs... Star citzen looks nice and really pretty but does not really feels like sim, more like arcade flying around really pretty space.

• Upvote 1

Check out "Rogue System"!

Now that's a space simulator.

Yes I have, I love what this guy has done. Incredible accomplishment from a one man dev team, but he is but one man, and is now working on RS part time. 

There's always Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen :)

Yes but this is the problem, both of these games currently lack that IL2 "Star Quality" :)

having ship systems being interdependent on each other. In Il2 we can squeeze a little extra performance out of our engines, either by using wep, or closing radiators, but we risk damaging our Aircraft. If we take damage that damage may cause us problems a few seconds or minutes down the line as the coolant / oil / fuel leaks away.

I really would love a space game that gives you a reason to keep your head in the cockpit more and actually have to manage stuff. One of the great things in IL2 is that the flying, at least in my mind is the star of the show. Flying these AC especially in VR is rewarding in and of itself, and the more our flying improves the better we become in combat.

I just would love to see some of this fidelity make its way into a space game. Both games you mention do not currently provide that

I'd love a good space sim/game.

However, they always end up being a standard MMO grind fest, falling back on tired old mechanics of mission grinding/pirating/griefing to get the things you need to do the stuff you really want to do in space, which is total nonsense.

I don't want to fly all over the known, or sometimes unknown universe, delivering Long Limbed Roes, or spaceship parts, or whatever commodities, or worse... mining.    Nope, done that in EVE, and Elite, and several other games and I just won't do that kind of game anymore.

I want to captain a ship and explore or defend against the unknown, not be a bloody Jawa scavenging robot parts, or Owen and Beru farming in space, or making delivery runs from one station to another for credits ... nope... not going there... ever again

I want a space simulator, not an economics simulator.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

I've recently been playing through the X-wing series again, got through the X-wing vs TIE-fighter campaign yesterday, and am amazed at how well it holds up. It manages to strike a great balance between depth and complexity - the player fantasy of a star-wars dogfight, and being easy to play. Nowadays it seems games can only do all out simulation (like IL2) or absolutely no complexity or depth at all (Star Wars: Battlefront). Mostly just the latter. I'd pay good money to any person or company that could revive the middle ground, for sure. Intensify forward firepower!

Edited by Luftschiff
  • Upvote 1

Yes but this is the problem, both of these games currently lack that IL2 "Star Quality" :)

having ship systems being interdependent on each other. In Il2 we can squeeze a little extra performance out of our engines, either by using wep, or closing radiators, but we risk damaging our Aircraft. If we take damage that damage may cause us problems a few seconds or minutes down the line as the coolant / oil / fuel leaks away.

I really would love a space game that gives you a reason to keep your head in the cockpit more and actually have to manage stuff. One of the great things in IL2 is that the flying, at least in my mind is the star of the show. Flying these AC especially in VR is rewarding in and of itself, and the more our flying improves the better we become in combat.

I just would love to see some of this fidelity make its way into a space game. Both games you mention do not currently provide that

Respectfully diagree in regards to Elite...Star Citizen isn't even a legit game yet, so it shouldnt be part of the discussion. There is plenty of power/module management to make it interesting. Rogue System is still too shallow on content.

• Upvote 1

You would need to help the devs find the space ship manuals to determine the emergency boost times ...

• Upvote 3

That is true for E:D at least. You can regulate heat and power (turning off systems to power others) and also prioritizing movement, shields and weapons (similar to the old TIE/X-Wing games in that regard.  You also swap out components for different missions.  If you are going exploring you might dumb cargo racks to carry a rover and more gas, add fuel scoops and scanners, etc.  For combat roles you might focus on weapons, shields and armor.

I've recently been playing through the X-wing series again, got through the X-wing vs TIE-fighter campaign yesterday, and am amazed at how well it holds up. It manages to strike a great balance between depth and complexity - the player fantasy of a star-wars dogfight, and being easy to play. Nowadays it seems games can only do all out simulation (like IL2) or absolutely no complexity or depth at all (Star Wars: Battlefront). Mostly just the latter. I'd pay good money to any person or company that could revive the middle ground, for sure. Intensify forward firepower!

I would love to see a remake of the games with modern graphics.

[...] Rogue System is still too shallow on content.

That's a fact.

Yet Rogue System is within the initial criteria set by OP:

[...] hypothetically, If they were to kickstart such a project to see if there was a demand for such a game and allow them to get additional devs to build it. Would such a game get much support from the IL2 community ?

It goes without saying that they would have mine.

... because

- Rogue Sytem being in Alpha is the perfect oportunity to support a great (and maybe the only) space combat simulator. 

- It shares with IL-2 the fact that is developed with love and care to detail.

However, quite some time has passed, RS made it to Steam and, despite I only see good comments from users in all simulation forums I've been, these are only very few, and most of them say "yes it's good, but it's still in early stage". And so it never has got the support it needs so the only developer can hire a programmer, that would be enough for him to finish the first module of the 5 he has planned. I don't lose my faith though.

Now, the lack of support to RS and the lack of other space simulators in development (none that I'm aware of) does make me think there is simply not enough people wanting a real space simulator to have one developed. IL-2 and other flight sims are today a reality, a dream come true. I have the same dream for a space simulator, but I don't see that one coming true.

Oh, and Elite may have systems, but it doesn't even have what we call Flight Model. There are no orbital mechanics you can deal with.

While the likelihood of "IL2 in Space" is as likely as "IL2 Dog Park Simulator" and about as worthwhile speculating about...I would like a good space sim.

I'm talking where the ship actually has mass/energy...unlike Star Citizen.

Guest deleted@30725

Should have made a poll:

Nope.

you could use the same physics with a spot earth like of quadratic gravity where dogfighting takes place

it would be a question of making the perfect orbit

In the space , This tecnologies will be relevant : Grafeno , Em-drive :

With the Laser .

You can test experiment at home with a modified microwafe , this is a dual Em-drive :

also such application in space or in the sea and oceans: Like magma silent displacement Submarine Typhoon class in the 1990 movie ‘The hunter of the red October’

Minute 2’33’’. The Silent Drive .

Edited by RAY-EU

^^^^

Don't post propaganda, Rebel scum.

But fun fact, the Imperial pilot at 4:26 could very well be Iden Versio, the main character in the new SWBFII.

Edited by FFS_Cybermat47
  • Upvote 1

A new good space sim!! That would be what the doctor prescribes! I have been on withdrawal since IWar. 

Posted (edited)

I was thinking the same thing so I searched if this topic already exists.

There are some space sims now but they aren't like IL-2 in space would be.

a campaign with fighters and bombers and squadrons

multiplayer maps

Of course a real space sim combat sim is impossible to simulate because it doesn't exist. But you can simulate something that's between fiction and reality like The Expanse. 

An IL-2 in space could be like an alternate history of WW2 (like Wolfenstein). German moon bases. No shields or lasers. Just projectiles and missiles. Combat in atmosphere and in space. 

Edited by BlackMambaMowTin
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

"Everspace 2" is shaping up to be the ulimate space-sim that will allow for truly rewarding gameplay in a Sandbox environment.

It will feature a great cockpit view, superb visuals as well as 6 DOF Track-IR support.

I have tried most space-sims but IMHO those are either utterly boring, too complex for spacecraft that do not even exist, too arcade-like ...

Everspace 1 is great fun but a simple shooter.

Everspace 2 was what the community really wanted !

To be released in 2021, but in EA this year. 

BTW it's not up to the sim-standard of a.o. IL-2 of course, but it does look worth it ... besides there are very few alternatives if you like to have some fun in a still believable space environment.     

Edited by simfan2015

Posted (edited)

I still think star citizen will be one of the best space games out there when all critical components are implemented.

most aspects of the game really stand out, except for the gameplay, that is a bit gimmicky for now.. at least in my eyes, not much to do yet, other than the superb visuals,sounds,ships,scale,scenery etc.

Yeah the game has been in development for 8-9 years, that's a long time, but I assume all these things take loads of time and code.
I will definitely buy a package when we reach a good build when there is at least stuff to do and at a decent frame-rate, doesn't really matter to me if it takes another year(s), 

because I didn't spend grands and grands into it back in the days.. and suddenly people are dissapointed that it takes more than 9 years to develop a game of this scope.

besides, the Real Virtuality(Arma) engine took them over 10 years to develop prior to release, if wikipedia has to be believed.

but I assume that's because of the massive map(Chernarus being 223 square km).

Edited by icecream

1 minute ago, icecream said:

except for the gameplay

I hope Squadron 42 will change all this !?

Been hoping for a spiritual successor to Wing Commander for many years.

But Squadron 42 won't be a true sim of course and Everspace 2 won't be either.

6 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

I hope Squadron 42 will change all this !?

Been hoping for a spiritual successor to Wing Commander for many years.

But Squadron 42 won't be a true sim of course and Everspace 2 won't be either.

I do not think squadron will change this.

we need stuff to do, loads of stuff, a meaning for most of the stuff like in EVE Online.

58 minutes ago, icecream said:

we need stuff to do

Is that not what SQ-42 is planning to accomplish by giving meaning to gameplay in the greatest challenge of all saving the human race.

Something like so many games are set out to do like even ... DOOM !? 

But this always seems to work ... it worked for Wing Commander too !

On 3/3/2020 at 9:48 AM, simfan2015 said:

Is that not what SQ-42 is planning to accomplish by giving meaning to gameplay in the greatest challenge of all saving the human race.

Something like so many games are set out to do like even ... DOOM !? 

But this always seems to work ... it worked for Wing Commander too !

Star Citizen was originally supposed to be the next Wing Commander until it got a ton of money and feature creep consumed it.