Sign in to follow this  
chiliwili69

What are the best CPUs for IL-2?

Doesnt matter if its i5 or i7, his point was related to nonexistent IPC gains

Everyone knew that for weeks now. I'm not sure why he was expecting otherwise.

I also used G-sync when used my 4K-60Hz monitor bought about 2 years ago. But now only use VR.

G-sync was doing a very good work when the fps were not reaching 60fps with my old i7-4790. G-sync is a very good complement for CPU that cannot maintain the desired fps.

Based in the single-thread performance of the i5-6400, I think it would have difficulties to maintain 60fps at 4K. But with G-Sync you should not worry.

OK, yesterday I've upgraded my rig's CPU from i5-6400 to i7-7700K. And you're right: the difference in game experience is awesame! 

I'm getting now an average of ~100fps and never under 90 fps   :fly:

For them, the improved packaging with the 4970K (and related) CPU

What do you mean exactly with that?

I bought a brand new 4790K last June-2017.

What do you mean exactly with that?

I bought a brand new 4790K last June-2017.

This series (Devil‘s Canyon) is packaged slightly different from other Haswell CPUs. It was packaged to dissipate heat better than the others plus it has extra decoupling capacitors to make life easier for the voltage regulator.

It is a (slightly) more expensive way to package the CPU, but it gave 10% clock just like that plus it makes further OC easier. It should be the package for all CPUs instead of using beaver oil (or whatever turd they are spitting in the package). Intel being Intel, they switched back to beaver oil with the next series (7700, 8700, etc.)

Devils Canyon is about the only CPU line adressing the needs of the enthusiast. As long as Intel has a slight advantage in games over the competition, in general the enthusiast is very welcome to pay more. As for the rest, he can go and sc**w himself.

OK, yesterday I've upgraded my rig's CPU from i5-6400 to i7-7700K. And you're right: the difference in game experience is awesame!  I'm getting now an average of ~100fps and never under 90 fps  

I am glad to see that our tests helped you to de-bottleneck your rig. Enjoy it!

Your 7700K will give you many years of pleasure.

If one day you move to VR, remember you will need to OC to higher frequencies (4.8 to 5.0) to have the best experience and it will require good cooling. 

• Upvote 1

This series (Devil‘s Canyon) is packaged slightly different from other Haswell CPUs. It was packaged to dissipate heat better than the others plus it has extra decoupling capacitors to make life easier for the voltage regulator.

Oh!  I didn´t know that, but I am happier with my purchase then.  :biggrin: 

Was this for all 4790K produced from the beginning or in the latest series? 

I am currently using a mid-range air cooler (Katana-4) in a microATX MoBo. I can not put larger CPU air coolers (like Noctua d15) due to it hit the GPU.

I am upgrading to an ATX case with my microATX MoBo, so I have more space for good system fans.

I am thinking if it would be worth to put liquid cooling. Would you recommend that? (My plan is just to try higher stable OCs for BOS)

Any particular AIO cooler? (up to 300€).

Oh!  I didn´t know that, but I am happier with my purchase then.  :biggrin:

Was this for all 4790K produced from the beginning or in the latest series? 

I am currently using a mid-range air cooler (Katana-4) in a microATX MoBo. I can not put larger CPU air coolers (like Noctua d15) due to it hit the GPU.

I am upgrading to an ATX case with my microATX MoBo, so I have more space for good system fans.

I am thinking if it would be worth to put liquid cooling. Would you recommend that? (My plan is just to try higher stable OCs for BOS)

Any particular AIO cooler? (up to 300€).

Yes, it was for all i7-4970K and i5-4960K. They are discontinued.

So far I always used air coolers, so I cann't personally recommend any water cooling systems. I am always using ATX size motherboards. If you have plenty space, then you can install a large cooler. As you put the box under the table anyway, it matters not really if it is slightly larger or not. A bit of size makes ita ls easier to build the rig. And if you go for water cooling a larger box will give you more options.

Speaking of cpus and that kind of stuff I began to wonder, is anyone using Process Lasso to get some better cpu utilization ? It's mostly about setting process affinity and priority, but not only. 

Speaking of cpus and that kind of stuff I began to wonder, is anyone using Process Lasso to get some better cpu utilization ? It's mostly about setting process affinity and priority, but not only. 

Seems like snakeoil to me. I've tried such with FSX/P3D as there you are in the hell of microstutters. In the end, the only thing that really helps is turn everything off as processes that you don't need. (Meaning install only what you really need on your rig and make sure you're not infested with too many background processes that every crapware brings along.) Als CPU functions that you don't need (HT, VT...). The turboboost software so far has a habit to cause thread congestions if you're really in multithread. I'd say better leave windows alone with the scheduling.

All those software "helpers" are never the difference between playable and undplayable. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

We have  the first tests of the 8700K with Single Thread CPU benchmark:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-8700K+%40+3.70GHz&id=3098

It is 2844, a considerable increase with respect the 7700K.

In theory this is for base clock speed, but it can not be. It is a huge difference if you have 2844 mark at 3.7GHz. It must be with turbospeed 4.7 GHz. And that´s why the difference.

Unfortunately, passmark doesn´t report the frequency at which the mark has been obtained.

It must be with turbospeed 4.7 GHz. And that´s why the difference.

Exactly.

Unfortunately, passmark doesn´t report the frequency at which the mark has been obtained.

It just seems to report what the internal "branding" says. And this is default base speed.

Single thread you get the same "per clock" from the 8700 as from the 7700.