Supermarine Spitfire Skins

Posted (edited)

V.2 Change in brands such as profile

2019-3-24-20-25-22.jpg

Edited by E69_julian57
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Skin 4k Spitfire MK Vb  317 Sq Poland  RAF  JH Y W3970.

0000000497153.jpg

0000000497161.jpg0000000497162.jpg

2019-3-24-23-38-30.jpg

2019-3-24-23-40-12.jpg

Edited by E69_julian57
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Nice skins. If only you could put that Mark 9 pilot in the Mark 5. They really should do that.

6 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

Nice skins. If only you could put that Mark 9 pilot in the Mark 5. They really should do that.

Well, if you had forgotten, it's supposed to be a Soviet Spitfire.

3 hours ago, Frenchy56 said:

Well, if you had forgotten, it's supposed to be a Soviet Spitfire.

Nope, I didn't forget anything. In spite of my age, I stil have a very good......uh....what's the word...?  Oh, yeah, memory. I still have a good memory.

I'm saying that an RAF pilot would be a great option. Since, I'm sure that there are many like me who do not fly Russian. The vast majority of Spitfires were RAF...if my memory serves me correctly.

What would be a great idea would be to have a pilot associated with the skin... if you choose and RAF skin you get an RAF pilot in the cockpit.

If you choose a Russian skin you get a Russian pilot, etc...

17 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

What would be a great idea would be to have a pilot associated with the skin... if you choose and RAF skin you get an RAF pilot in the cockpit.

If you choose a Russian skin you get a Russian pilot, etc...

18 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

Nope, I didn't forget anything. In spite of my age, I stil have a very good......uh....what's the word...?  Oh, yeah, memory. I still have a good memory.

I'm saying that an RAF pilot would be a great option. Since, I'm sure that there are many like me who do not fly Russian. The vast majority of Spitfires were RAF...if my memory serves me correctly.

Yes, that sounds good. Would be nice to switch pilot skins like you could in 1946. However it seems like it's going to be a bit more complicated, the newer pilots having different animations than the older ones. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's really simple.

1 hour ago, Frenchy56 said:

Yes, that sounds good. Would be nice to switch pilot skins like you could in 1946. However it seems like it's going to be a bit more complicated, the newer pilots having different animations than the older ones. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's really simple.

If they make 'all' pilots animations up to the same standard as the new ones?

15 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

If they make 'all' pilots animations up to the same standard as the new ones?

Well, we can only speculate. Maybe new pilots for the Eastern Front modules are somewhere in the pipe.

Ah I see where you've been spending your extra time on!  If i may say all your works here are indeed top notch so I tip my fedora to ya and may you continue your excellent work Rap.  LONG LIVE THE WWC!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2019 at 6:08 AM, PROX_ said:

Ah I see where you've been spending your extra time on!

Thanks PROX! Good to hear from ya me old mate. The spirit of WWC is still alive here, as is LTL (the Low Tier League splinter group). Are you a 'partaker' of this excellent game? ;):good::salute:

Edited by Raptorattacker

Posted (edited)

Would be GREAT to see a very iconic and rare skin for the VB if possible?

So I made a start:

240555915_barryspit.JPG.c503878241b07be7eac8dc314bd900ca.JPG

My Question now is, what do I save it as, as in which DDS Format? (I have the plugin etc), for a 4k skin?

ie, DXT5 etc, and do I generate mipmaps?

psd - flatten image - save as DDS (5 I presume?)

is that for a 4k skin?

This plane has some history, as it is the 'Borough of Barry'   .... a town in South Wales.

W3234 P, Spitfire Vb "Borough of Barry", 1943 Flying Officer EG Powell

I even made an Airfix model of the scene some time ago

Screenshot_20190603-221542_Viber.jpg

Screenshot_20190603-221559_Viber.jpg

20190604_072536.jpg

Screenshot_20190603-221550_Viber.jpg

Edited by craig2859
  • Like 1

Some Greek Spitfire IX skins I made a while back. The Spitfire served in the Hellenic Air Force during the Greek civil war and up to 1952. They used a mix of different types, from Mk. Vs to Mk. XIXs.

ImjOCmF.png

FQkFa6l.png

yxSes3A.png

r3WfZsn.png

7rMxjtc.png

mkljIkA.png

mHQtNIm.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Found this nice XVI in a book. Maybe one of you guys can do it justice?

403_IX.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2018 at 8:36 PM, Raptorattacker said:

Mk IX Spitfire of 93 Squadron RAF flying out of Italy in 1944.

Squadron Motto: Ad arma parati - 'Ready for battle'
Squadron Badge: An escarbuncle.

EyZlcTn.jpg

clW1CVJ.jpg

6Zb0z06.jpg

nsMJY6Q.jpg

VBkhs8q.jpg

The skin can be downloaded HERE

and, as ever, thanks to @ICDP for the Template.

Enjoy and don't worry about scratching the paintwork as there really ISN'T any!! :salute:

Hi there Raptorattacker,

I just want to compliment you on your great skins, especially this beauty (above). I was hoping that someone had made a bare metal Mk.IX and here she is!

Also, can someone please tell me where in the Il-2 directory to put this skin? I'm a complete noob...

Edited by Algy-Lacey
ICDP made me a skin
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi again,

Mr. ICDP was kind enough to make a bare metal skin with roundels from his template, the problem is I don't know where in my Il-2 directory to put the skin. It is a .dds file.

Please can someone help?

Cheers

Algy

Edited by Algy-Lacey

3 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Hi again,

Mr. ICDP was kind enough to make a bare metal skin with roundels from his template, the problem is I don't know where in my Il-2 directory to put the skin. It is a .dds file.

Please can someone help?

Cheers

Algy

Hello Algy - Look for the games main folder "IL2 Sturmovik Battle of....." - if you have it on steam itll be Steam/Steamapps/common/IL2 Sturmovik Battle of.."

In the main folder you will see "data"

In "data" is another folder "graphics"

In "graphics" is the folder "skins" containing all the skins to all the types used in game. Find the one for the spitfire and copy paiste or drag the dds file into it. 

I dont think the game currently uses a 4K normal map but ICDP includes one on his main Spitfire page and it plays well with any other skin.

Drop this into data/graphics/Planes/SpitfireIXe/Textures within your main game folder. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Boo 😃

It seems fairly straightforward...

Hi Boo,

I've put the Skin that ICDP made for me into the data/graphics/skins folder, no problems

But I have no idea what a 4k normal map is. Is this necessary? I am currently downloading ICDP's work from his Spitfire IXe topic and will have a root around in those files to look for a 4k normal map...

Thanks again

Algy

I can't find a 4k normal map in the files that I downloaded from:

It only contains 2 x .psd files,

1 called - Alpha_SpitfireMkIXe_4k.psd

and another called - SpitfireMkIXe_4k.psd

Are these the files that Boo was reffering to for my data/graphics/Planes/SpitfireIXe/Textures folder?

Confused:unsure:

The file that is already in my SpitfireMkIXe/Textures folder is a .dds file

Now I'm even more confused!

I just loaded up Il-2 and the custom skin that ICDP made for me worked fine (and looked bloody gorgeous!) even without a 4k normal map.

I'm still curious as to what a 4k normal map would add or change.

Please could someone enlighten me?

Cheers

Algy

1 hour ago, Algy-Lacey said:

I just loaded up Il-2 and the custom skin that ICDP made for me worked fine (and looked bloody gorgeous!) even without a 4k normal map.

I'm still curious as to what a 4k normal map would add or change.

Please could someone enlighten me?

Cheers

Algy

Hello Algy-  The long and short is that the 4K normal map it now in the game as standard (according to ICDPs thread) and i was mistaken about the need to import it separated.  The 2 templetas you found are for making skins and dont need to go anywhere.  Sorry for the confusion.

No worries, Boo.

And it's useful to me to know that those .psd files were skin templates. I don't have Paintshop Pro, but I might download Gimp image software and try my hand at making some skins.

Algy

Gimp works great. I often convert dds files of skins that I really like to a bmp image. Then use that as base for modifying clots and markings. Save skin that you are working on during the process  as an xcf file just in case application shuts down unexpectedly. Big challenge is getting Alpha right especially for metallic skins.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sheriff88 said:

Big challenge is getting Alpha right especially for metallic skins.

There is a little application called DXTbmp. Its very useful when it comes to understanding alpha effects as you can find a skin you like the effect on and separate the alpha layer out to see how it was produced greyscale wise. I would advise against just ripping it and putting it on your skins as a) it will probably be unique to the aircraft it came from b) its fun and rewarding to come up with your own techniques.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 9./JG52_BOO said:

There is a little application called DXTbmp. Its very useful when it comes to understanding alpha effects as you can find a skin you like the effect on and separate the alpha layer out to see how it was produced greyscale wise. I would advise against just ripping it and putting it on your skins as a) it will probably be unique to the aircraft it came from b) its fun and rewarding to come up with your own techniques.

Yes that's app that I use.