lefuneste

3DMigoto mod for VR

Lafuneste, hats off for your effort here. After tonight's testing I'd say it's a must for VR in Mp rather than an optional mod.

Kept my standard 2x for long range gunnery but now on the same switch I have the 2x zoom stacked with the 3x migoto zoom for identifying at long range. Only had a few quick runs on berloga but as the biggest handicap with Mp Vr is now fixed, my initial reaction is that this is going to be fun!

Had to use JoyToKey for the joystick hat switch to work with the mod, if anyone has any better idea please share.

Edited by a_radek

Yea this mod is not even optional at this point.

I can see aspect, angle off, and judge plane of motion along with energy state now that I can see.

• Upvote 1

Profile it for stick usage.

It stacks with stock zoom. 3x mod zoom plus 2x game zoom, a nice 5x total zoom.

I'm now capable in VR. Bring it you owl view users! :)

what do we enter in the ini file to ask it to use a stick button?

what do we enter in the ini file to ask it to use a stick button?

It won't whatever you enter. No dx input available. So unless your joystick software has some way of converting stick buttons to keys, then like me, your stuck with JoyToKey or similar.

https://joytokey.net/en/

A workaround but ok enough.

• Upvote 2

It won't whatever you enter. No dx input available. So unless your joystick software has some way of converting stick buttons to keys, then like me, your stuck with JoyToKey or similar.

https://joytokey.net/en/

A workaround but ok enough.

grrr more money! :)

strange, it works for me both with sharpen and no sharpen option...

could you post here your grpahics settings and your d3dx.ini ?

I can ID at 6km now easily.

i've been quietly tracking this mod for a while. After this statement I'm ready to test it out! :)

That being said, is there a sample 'default' config I can use?

Or

What is your recommended config for this mod?

It seems (based on the main post) there are no color changes in the default, nor any Zoom bindings...  Can you paste your config sections that change colors and zoom?

[Key1]
;set high zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_UP
type = hold
; modify here the first value you want to use for zoom increase
w = 5.0
y6 = 0.6
x7 = 0.0
y7 = 0.0

[Key2]
;set  zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DOWN
type = hold
; zoom3x
w = 3
y6 = 0.3
x7 = -0.23
y7 = 0.0

[Key3]
;set med zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_RIGHT
type = hold
; modify here the first value you want to use for zoom increase
w = 2.0
y6 = 0.15
x7 = 0.0
y7 = 0.0

Left ALT and arrow keys.

Keep in mind this isn't perfect, but it's 90% there. 5x is kinda wonky (close one eye) but allows you to ID at maximum range. 3x is quite epic.

Hold down 3x mod zoom, and then press and hold your default game VR zoom, and you have a nice 5x zoom. Zooming on smoke/explosions makes em look kinda wonky an eats frames. I use stock zoom for most things, but when you have to sort, classify and get aspect on 4 blurry globs at 7km the 5x stacked with the 2x stock is a 7x. It's jumpy but you only need it for just a few seconds. I've yet to get sick from using it either. Disabling the prop and the gun-sight toggle is just icing on a cake, a cake made from dead owl views. =)

I cant get the color part to work. Let me clarify that statement, it works but to me its a gamma increase on a key press. Color adjustment to me is more akin to Nvidia digital vibrance, richer more vibrant colors.

Edited by [CPT]CptJackSparrow
  • Upvote 3

Left ALT plus arrow keys, yep.

Slap yourself in QM in your ride of choice, you at 12,000 and AI at 9,000, merge (have icons on) and let him fly past, extend and roll back to look at him at 6-7km, pop your zoom then sing songs about

lefuneste! lefuneste! the VR even playing field maker!
  • Upvote 1

Left ALT plus arrow keys, yep.

Slap yourself in QM in your ride of choice, you at 12,000 and AI at 9,000, merge (have icons on) and let him fly past, extend and roll back to look at him at 6-7km, pop your zoom then sing songs about

lefuneste! lefuneste! the VR even playing field maker!

tried it out.. yup.. awesome mod!  the x5 zoom actually makes it a lot more competitive in the mp campaigns.. I can see what to bomb/where and also don't enter zones with hot enemy 4v1 fights.. lol..

definitely a must have mod for VR now.

The x5 zoom is a bit awkward but it's totally and utterly overpowered by its usefulness!

I have just been told about this mod by my wingman AceVenturi!  :salute:

Thankyou for making this Lefuneste!

I've only just tried it for the first time only for the reticle resize and i am SUPER happy with the smaller reticle. It has improved my gunnery by allowing me to actually see the rings around the crosshair, which allows for a finer reference for lead and angle!  :biggrin:

I cant wait to try some of the other features!

Continued testing and I can't believe how blind I've been. Hoping a few distant dots will fire their guns so I can figure out if the colored tracers belong to friend or foe - no more.

I do seem to experience reduced fps compared to vanilla BoX. Nothing certain as I haven't ran the benchmark yet for comparison. Wondering if any future optimizations are on the road map?

Would be interesting comparing performance with this mod installed. To figure out if it's loading the gpu or cpu. Anyone willing to compare? I'm on a i7-7700k @4.8 and a 1070.  

The small sight and prop removal are really useful if one uses ASW.

The IPD feels different even if toggled on or off. Is that correct or placebo?

Both med and high zooms give me double images on my rift.

Still, great work!

Orlok, here are some values found by haltux that can set your zoom up correctly for the Rift:

Here are my parameters for zoom 2x and zoom 3x:   [Key1] ;set high zoom on Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_UP type = hold ; zoom 3x w = 3 y6 = 0.3 x7 = -0.23 y7 = 0.00   [Key2] ;set med zoom on Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_RIGHT type = hold ; zoom 2x w = 2.0 y6 = 0.15 x7 = -0.15 y7 = 0.00

Make sure to try Captain Jack's values as well! For zooming, use the mask and 1 eye closed. Arrh! 

@lefuneste

I found out it was because if HDR = 1 Bloom = 1, color fix did not work. Now it works fine :)

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Upvote 1

Been busy the last wee while but just got around to testing this again.

Installing the latest version I notice that the gunsight no longer has the sharpen filter.

Was that removed for any reason in particular? I really found the "sharpened" version of the gunsight much better than the default and reduced size ones...

Been busy the last wee while but just got around to testing this again.

Installing the latest version I notice that the gunsight no longer has the sharpen filter.

Was that removed for any reason in particular? I really found the "sharpened" version of the gunsight much better than the default and reduced size ones...

There have been no changes on sight since the begining. The mod disable all pixel processing  other than reduced texture sight drawing...

Does that mean that Sharpen is disabled even if I enable it ingame?

lefuneste, I noticed one thing, when I use the mod's zoom is that it zooms south by around 5° - 10° in the vertical. Is there a way to fix that angle by myself?

(The result is that by zooming quick the eyes must reacquire the object of interest. To see what I mean, start quick mission at 3000m. Pause game. Focus on an object on the ground, make sure it is central in your view. Then zoom on it with 3x or 5x. It will be in the top of your field of view (3x), or above the field of view (5x).)

Does that mean that Sharpen is disabled even if I enable it ingame?

As far as I know, sharpen is made by a global pixel shader and not for part of plane only...So you have it for all or for nothing. But I may be wrong...

when I use the mod's zoom is that it zooms south by around 5° - 10° in the vertical. Is there a way to fix that angle by myself?

I did not notice that, but I do not have a Rift and maybe I just fix that unconsciently. But, as I can use 10x zoom with my OSVR HDK2, I think that such a big offset should be seen with this zoom factor...

I can add a variable for vertical offset too, but it may also introduce black bars on top or bottom of the view

I found out it was because if HDR = 1 Bloom = 1, color fix did not work. Now it works fine :)

It looks like one or both options are triggering a different global PS shader than with or without sharpen...I'd have a look but not soon.

Both med and high zooms give me double images on my rift.

Try to modify y6 values in [key1] to [Key3] section of d3dx.ini. But that's strange because default values have been define here by Rift users...See previous posts...

• Upvote 1

I redid the values again, and the best (no double images) zoom I get are by the standard values that "come out of the box", there was no need to change anything for those. I use VR Zoom + 3x for identification, and VR Zoom + 1.5x for standard zoom.

I then keep HDR enabled, and use 0.7 or 0.8 gamma.

Thank you again lefuneste, your mod fixed the one big glaring problem VR had ingame. Finally, no more friendly fire issues. :good:

lefuneste, I noticed one thing, when I use the mod's zoom is that it zooms south by around 5° - 10° in the vertical. Is there a way to fix that angle by myself?

Same here. Only annoying when spotting against ground. Against a blue sky it's easy to reacquire the contact. Using default settings 3x zoom, coupled with standard 2x.

I really hope they don't break this mod with 3.001.

Edited by a_radek

Maybe lefuneste wants to open a patreon page or anything similar, so we can reward his work. Credit where credit is due, as a thank you.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Lefuneste for your work, it really changes things immensely.

By the way, I saw you have created a similar mod for DCS as well, but the download links are broken. Can you upload it again please?

Thanks Lefuneste for your work, it really changes things immensely.

By the way, I saw you have created a similar mod for DCS as well, but the download links are broken. Can you upload it again please?

I was waiting for the 2.5 in order to see if I can do the same for DCS. The mod for the 1.5 / 2.0 is here: http://helixmod.blogspot.fr/2015/05/dcs-world-15-20.html, but I think that part of it could be broken, as I did not update it for the last versions:

Edited by lefuneste

Thanks Lefuneste. I was just curious, are you a game developer? I tried to take a look at how the mod was done, but shader programming seems way too complicated for me.

Once again I find myself struggling with what should be relatively simple. I downloaded JSGME as recommended and placed it here C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow, The MODS folder is also in that location. Then I unzipped lefuneste`s add on and stuck it in C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\MODS\3Dmigoto_VRBOS_6.0 (note that I left all the elements of that add on still in it`s folder?? I start JSGME and enable the add on, start up IL2 Oculus and Steam both start automatically and I`m in game. Sit on the runway in a 109, press Shift k or k and nothing happens still getting that wishy washy blurry prop image and a gunsight that flickers behind the original static gunsight image (sort of a fragmented sight mixed in with the solid original. Sorry to be a continual pita, but I`m guessing I haven`t done it right and possibly I should pull the elements from the 3D Migmoto add on out of the folder and just plonk them in the MODS. Any help would be greatly appreciated for an ageing numpty who thought he had a clue!!!

BFsSmurfy, No worries, we can get you fixed up. Let's take things step by step.

I downloaded JSGME as recommended and placed it here C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow,

Yup, so far so good.

The MODS folder is also in that location

Looks good.

C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\MODS\3Dmigoto_VRBOS_6.0

That is correct.

I start JSGME and enable the add on, start up IL2 Oculus and Steam both start automatically and I`m in game

Perfect.

Sit on the runway in a 109, press Shift k or k and nothing happens still getting that wishy washy blurry prop image and a gunsight that flickers behind the original static gunsight image (sort of a fragmented sight mixed in with the solid original.

Okay, now we may have a problem. First, pressing "K" should toggle between a new, smaller, gunsite, disable it all together or revert to the original one. You aren't seeing any change to the sight at all? Even though its all wobbly, its not changing its size?. Pressing Shift K should toggle between showing the blurred propeller disc and turning it off altogether. That is normally how you fix the wishy washy sight. Here is why, that wavy image you are seeing is a product of ASW (Asynchronous Space Warp) kicking in because your framerate is too low and ASW is trying to predict how and where to draw the sight. The spinning propeller confuses this prediction and you get that crazy squirrely image instead of how it should look. By using Shift-K, what should happen is that the blurred prop disc is no longer drawn so ASW no longer gets confused and draws the gunsight properly. You can verify by switching to an external view and notice if you see your spinning prop blades appear and disappear as you press Shift-K repeatedly.

Now, you said you aren't seeing ANY changes so that tells me that the mod isn't activating for some reason.

Quick question, while it seems you have installed JSGME, and placed the 3dmigoto mod in a MODS folder which it can see, what you didn't say is if IL-2 is actually installed there as well. Is IL-2 installed to this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow?

You can check that a number of ways but easiest would be to right click on the desktop shortcut you have for the game and click on Properties. The path to the game (assuming its not a Steam version) will be listed there. If its not C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow, then we have found the issue.

Assuming it is C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow, we can do a simple check to make sure the mod itself is actually installed correctly. Browse into your IL-2 folder, then go into the "bin" folder and from there please browse into the "game" folder. Do you see a "_pycache_" folder? How about a "ShaderFixes" folder? You should also see, among other files, a filed called "ShaderCache.zip". Assuming those are all there, then the mod is indeed properly installed and something else is causing the issue. But lets start easy and confirm the mod is installed where its supposed to be in the IL-2 area.

Now, if IL-2 itself is NOT located in C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow, then the fix is easy, we just need to make 1 of 2 other changes. We can either change where JSGME is installed or we can change where JGSME looks when it is launched. I can explain both those options after you do the steps above.

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt
  • Upvote 1

Thx Madmatt.

C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow?​ answer is yes IL2 is installed there.

Must`ve been a fault of mine somewhere down the line as all the folders etc you mentioned were present. 

I`ve got it to work by basically unzipping the file, copying the bin folder and putting that directly into the right place where the game is installed. All`s good now thx.

Just one last question, do you still need to open say tray tools and disable ASW if the prop is no longer there? 

Thx again to everyone and long live the community spirit.

Just one last question, do you still need to open say tray tools and disable ASW if the prop is no longer there? 

That's totally up to you really. There are advantages and disadvantages to both running or disabling ASW depending on a number of factors and system configurations. If you are happy with flying with no-prop and ASW enabled, have at it.

Don't forget, you can use the "Control-Numpad 1" command to enable and disable ASW at any time while you are flying (although for me and with the latest version of Oculus Home, it only seems to work now if I have Oculus Home running in the background). Sounds like you already know about the Oculus Tray Tool so if you prefer setting a profile with that and just leaving ASW on or off, again, that's fine too.

Disabling the prop just alleviates one of the side effects of ASW when framerates drop a bit. If you have ASW turned off, then disabling the prop won't affect the sight at all. It's just a cosmetic effect then.

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt

Just a quick note to say "thanks" lefuneste! Just tried this mod out for the first time since I'm new to Rift, and I can't imagine how people can get along without it!

yup, thank you, Lefuneste! A Big One!

yesterday I tried the mod without the prop and boy I wasn't expecting such smoothness in WoL... 90 fps pretty much constant.. That damn prop was robbing me some massive fps in VR!!!