Sign in to follow this  
Rambos_Nachbar

Rudder Pedals

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie, but willing to learn the game. I played IL 2 1946 for hundreds of hours back in the days and even today from time to time. My question is, I'm looking for some rudder pedals with toe breaks and narrowed it down to these 2 options:

Thrusmaster TFRP: 

https://www.amazon.de/Thrustmaster-Rudder-Pedalerie-R-G-E-T-Software/dp/B01649IVI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1502455294&sr=1-1&keywords=MFG+Crosswind+rudder+pedals

Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals: 

https://www.amazon.de/Logitech-Saitek-Flight-Rudder-Pedals/dp/B01MQ0N57Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1502455848&sr=1-3&keywords=pedale

The Saitek ones are on the top end of my budget, so MFG Crosswind or others are no option for me. Could anybody say a word or two to these pedals. Just from looking at them, the Saitek ones look a bit nicer, as the pedals are a bit further away from each other.

Any advice is appreciated.

Kind Regards

Rambos Nachbar

Btw: The Community here looks really nice and civilized, as I'm coming from a more fps (Bf, R6) heavy background 

Hey and welcome to the community here Rambos Nachbar !!!

Between the two choices you are showing, for myself I would choose the Thrustmaster TFRP. I had bought a pair that was on a really good sale just to have as a backup. They are made of very sturdy plastic,however the plastic is just fine for this type of application. Some have complained that the rails the pedals slide on stick a bit, mine did not ,however if they do, you can use an inexpensive non-petroleum lubricate, safe for plastic ( such as an aerosol silicone spray ) to lightly grease the rails. Also, the pedals as many folks will say, are close together but again, for me it is not a big issue. The ones I bought are very smooth and precise and comfortable for my build ( 6ft,178lbs, shoe size  11 ). For the money I believe they will serve well.  

Cheers--sf--

I have a set of the Thrustmaster pedals and they are fine. I would recommend them to anyone as a great budget or starter option.

I can tell you I had the Saitek Combat Pedals, which I don't believe are made any longer, but very similar to the pro and I believe mechanics are the same.

I ran them for about 4 years solid and they were great, never had an issue with them. Ended up selling them when I got the Crosswinds.

so looks like I'm going for the Thrustmaster ones. 80 bucks for an entry device seems fair for me and if I really enjoy it, I can switch later I guess. Thanks for the comments guys!

Saitek is overpriced now, and unless width don't offer any better than Tm to justify pay more - same plastic construction, cheap potentiometer...

Yeah, I see some weird pricing on Saitek stuff, I've heard there's some sort of shortage or something. In any case, if you're going to pay 150 euro for pedals, I would definitely recommend saving another 100 euro and going to the Crosswinds. Otherwise go for the TM, because I'm really skeptical of that Saitek price (not that its a scam, just that Saitek stuff is overpriced because of the market).

I went through two sets of Saitek Pro flight pedals. First set failed within a few weeks and was RMA'd due to the rudder axis failing.

Second set lasted almost a year before a toe brake wire was severed internally due to poor product design. I found others reporting the exact same fault, found some photos online and fixed them but moved on to MFG's.

Wish I never wasted money on the Saiteks in the first place.

Edited by =TBAS=Tripwire

MFG Crosswind aren't available, anymore ?

I can't find them, for online order.

MFG Crosswind aren't available, anymore ?

I can't find them, for online order.

MFG Crosswind rudder pedals are by far the best I've ever owned. They are premium quality and customer service is great.

Here is a link to the website http://mfg.simundza.com/blog/

What makes them so special / best ?

Anyway, 320 euro is a high price, i'd say.

What other options to I have ? 

Thrusmaster TFRP ? 

CH Products 300 ?

( Logitech G ? ) Saitek Pro Flight  

Plenty of reviews online for the MFG crosswinds. For me what made them stand out well above the Saitek pedals is the quality of construction (MFG's feel like they will last forever) and the smoothness and accuracy of the movement across the axis. Saiteks felt 'sticky' in comparison even when new, which when precise aiming is required lining up a guns solution was a liability. 

Just open up the Saiteks and you can see so much wrong with how they are put together. It reminds you of the internals of a cheap kids toy (if you have ever opened one up).

Just open up the Saiteks and you can see so much wrong with how they are put together. It reminds you of the internals of a cheap kids toy (if you have ever opened one up).

The way my Saiteks feel as I use them, I definitely wouldn't open them up. I think it would be impossible to put them back together again :D

What about Thrustmaster TFRP ? Are they any good ?

This would be my first rudder pedals ever, that's why i don't want to spend 300 euro on it

First, learning, use them, and maybe in the future, MFG

Thank you

What about Thrustmaster TFRP ? Are they any good ?

Went the same way as you. They're decent and pretty ok for the price. Don't expect too much, as they are a bit stiff from my experience. But they offer toe brakes which is a pretty big plus. You can definitly make them work.

What makes them so special / best ?

Anyway, 320 euro is a high price, i'd say.

What other options to I have ? 

Thrusmaster TFRP ? 

CH Products 300 ?

( Logitech G ? ) Saitek Pro Flight  

"High end" pedals (Baur, MFG, Slaw, VKB) use contactless magnetic sensor (no wear, long life) instead cheap potentiometer (wear, reduced life)  like "entry level" pedals.

Their pivot's utilize ball bearings, not plastic bushing.

Their frame/foot rest is made of resistant material - metal or composite (MFG), not plastic. *

High end ($250+)

Baur F's - several variations, 1 or 3 axis.

MFG Croswswind - 3 axis.

Slaw viper - 3 axis.

VKB T-rudder - more helicopter style, 1 axis no brakes.

Entry level ($80 - 170)

CH PRO Pedals (obsolete - circa 2000 - USB controller 8 bits, today standard is 10 bits)

Thrustmaster TFRP

Saitek PRO Pedal

All 3 axis, potentiometers, cheap models in Tm/Saitek, durable in CH, pot is easy to replace in this model, virtually impossible in the previous ones.

* CH PRO pedal is made in plastic reinforce with Nylon, last decades (never see CH parts broken, like happen with Saiteks, or Tm Cougar/Warthog).

Edited by Sokol1