Han

Developer Diary, Part 167 - Discussion

I don't usually ladle on the praise around here but that is really pretty amazing. Stunning even. The low clouds/mist at the top of the hill just screams "Hawaii,"  BTW!

Well done.

On to the PACIFIC!!!!!

I keep flashing back to those New Guinea maps in IL-2 1946. Good times on the Kokoda Trail.

what hardware was used for the video ? because it looked like below 60fps

It's a Youtube video. They don't go higher than 60hz and most ppl upload in 30hz.

Morning glory rolls, awesome! :)

Aren't they parallel to the shores though, as they are brought inland with the morning sea breeze?

Those mountains are gorgeous :biggrin:

Edited by Redglyph

Gorgeous ! This map will be a blast !

The improvements in graphical department are really promising. Love it.

One thing is that is seems to me that trees are visible for quite a long distance away. It may be a placebo effect or some side effect of the youtube video processing but could there also be some improvements in the tree department that aren't mentionned in the DD ?

Bloody Gorgeous!

Reminded me of dropping down on low flying bombers around the english coast in the recent SOW flying clod, but just looking better!

I was also reminded of IL2 of old and the battles there.

Well done devs.

Excellent DD. The rendering of water and shade is superb.

Edited by A-E-Hartmann

Looks really great. Looking forward to fly on this map and also to see videos which have incorporated all the new tech.

I hope I have not to make too much compromises with my GTX970.

Back in the early days when I was flying in Forgotten Battles, if anyone had told me there would one day be a Kuban map like that, I wouldn't have believed it. :)

• Upvote 2

Spitfire......white cliffs........is this Dover? :P

Remembering back in the days of old 1946, how many times have I been flying through these valleys behind Gelendzik, but there were no forests, must have grown since then. ;)

I can't wait to take a Heinkel (would appreciate a FW189, as it has the better glasshouse cockpit) and make some sightseeing flights through those valleys in this great map, enjoying the surrounding around me. The only thing missing will be the torpedoes under my Heinkel. Great work, Devs. Keep going.

• Upvote 1

Back in the early days when I was flying in Forgotten Battles, if anyone had told me there would one day be a Kuban map like that, I wouldn't have believed it. :)

Watching the video was thinking the same thing remembering the old time, good work.
regards :salute:

Man this made my jaw drop to the floor. Another sim might be loosing some playing time. I can just imagine how wonderful the Pacific is going to look like. This could draw some players from other sims.

And I used to think Keban was good in the original version. My concern is I can't envisage much action on the current maps when this is released pour moi.

Me takes me hat off to da devs, in fact they can have my hair too.

Rewatched the video. That hill behind Gelendzhik which reveals forests with some clearances made me so nostalgic! So many missions in so many aircraft and campaigns converged there in 1946. There is also an airbase some 30km out NW I think that's a nightmare to attack.

Almost every dogfight or ground attack mission in that area involved hugging that hill when things got hot - it would break sight from the German flak gunners, and the terrain on the other side allowed great room to manoeuvre and prepare either a counterattack or an escape route.

Oh man - that looks gorgeous!  Now that I've gotten my new rig built and seem to have gotten my new Rift working, I can't wait to plow into those mountainsides in full VR glory :)

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

Oh man - that looks gorgeous!  Now that I've gotten my new rig built and seem to have gotten my new Rift working, I can't wait to plow into those mountainsides in full VR glory :)

+1  ;)

Looking Fantastic. As others have said, It brought me back to IL 2 46 Kuban Map. Just, it is so much more "Realistic Looking " today . BOS/BOM is just getting better and better.

@ Han. Who is the Pilot of the Spitfire in the video ?...His Rudder control was Superb ! I watched the video a few times and I couldn't see the rudder needle move once. Great Flying ! 

I wish I could fly the Spit like that !

~S~

looks great. really looking forward to the progress... an yes.. thinking about damp rainy misty Solomon Islands and jungle beneath

Oh boy!

Congrats to the devs, this trully is masterpiece.

For someone that map was most anticipated BoK feature this looks far better than i could ever imagine.

I simply don't have enough words to express how amazed i am!

Fly into cloud, crash....ooh they had mountains here.

​Must change tactics for ground attack... :biggrin:

This update will be great.

Excellent,

and what makes it look all the more realistic,

no technochat or zooming in and out.....

Its 'almost' a flight simulator and not a game anymore. ;)

Hats off to you all, absolutely brilliant work.

Long may it continue...

Thanks you

Very nice to see the Gelendzhik area again.

I see that a lot of extra trees were planted since the original IL-2 ;)

Anyway, looking forward to flying over Kuban again, cleaning the skies of fascist vipers! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I can't wait to be flying my Spitfire over the Kuban mountains! Excellent job guys, it'll be nice to see 109's hitting the Black Sea after I've finished.

Though I am curious, will there be multiplayer combat over the mountains/sea? I'm guessing it'd be awkward having no where to land or take off from close to the mountains or Black Sea

• Upvote 1

... Though I am curious, will there be multiplayer combat over the mountains/sea? I'm guessing it'd be awkward having no where to land or take off from close to the mountains or Black Sea

I don't see why not. As always, it's entirely down to mission builders and the guys who put up servers.

[And as always, if there's no multiplayer server that suits a player's needs, there's nothing at all to stop them from doing a mission or just populating a map (DF, coop, whatever you want), putting it on a server and then letting people join! Obviously, organising this kind of thing is easier if you're part of an online squadron, and hopefully, the hyperlobby-esque MP interface we hope we'll eventually get will make all this more obvious to people, but everything we need is already in the game!]

Edit: Aw, all mission builders need are clearings in valleys in which to place their airfield objects ("falsefield" in the ME). I look forward to lots of MP craziness in valleys and mountains - I always loved the summer mountains mini map in IL2 '46!

Edited by No601_Swallow

I wonder if new shadow definition will make VR play a little more sharp?

I could quote everybody and put a +1 on them. This map will for sure put this sim on 1 place of combat flight simulator. The constant improvement never stop amazing me

I wonder if new shadow definition will make VR play a little more sharp?

This will undoubtedly be one heck of an update we will be getting. Lots of new stuff in there along with the new map. It will be interesting to see how it all does in VR. 

Based on what they have managed to accomplish with their VR implementation, I expect performance will continue to remain very good.  Nice thing about the new shadow technology, is it will be adjustable should we need to.