Vyrtuoz

Tacview – Understand what happened during your last flight!

There are no pilots names assigned to aircrafts because after some patch they stopped show up in recorded replays, yes?

Tacview holiday sale has started!

From Dec 21st to Jan 4th, 40% off Tacview Standard and Tacview Advanced licenses including group buy.

If you want to upgrade your Tacview Standard edition to Tacview Advanced, please send me an email with your name and current product key. I will return you a coupon to buy the upgrade at the reduced price.

Do not worry if I do not answer right away, be assured that you will get a reply as soon as possible.

943746823767904257.png

Tacview 1.7.0 should be available very soon:

• I am putting the finishing touches on the new database: With this new module, which is replacing 10-year-old code, Tacview will be able to identify and display the appropriate information on any object on the battlefield much more efficiently.

• Numerous 3D models have been added or enhanced, so you should soon be able to see your favorite aircraft, regardless of the simulator or real-life telemetry data you are reviewing.

• Registered users will be able to use the brand-new media player, to play back up to four audio/video media from your flight, always synchronized with the 3D view and the telemetry data.

A surprise is also awaiting you next year, stay tuned!

• Upvote 2

Indeed, it looks like that pilots’ names are currently injected in the aircraft names. When Tacview recognize an aircraft, it strips all the invalid characters from its name, therefore the pilot name is not removed and not displayed.

To fix the issue, IL-2 should export pilots’ names in the “Pilot” telemetry property (not in the object "Name" property).

Meanwhile, it is possible to see them in the raw telemetry window where all the original telemetry data is always available.

There are no pilots names assigned to aircrafts because after some patch they stopped show up in recorded replays, yes?

Is there any way to run TacView on the server side to record the entire mission from all points of view? I apologize if this info is present elsewhere.

Right now, when you record a flight, the amount of data exported by IL-2 is supposed to be the same for all aircrafts and ground units.

Which means that in Tacview, you can choose to see the battle from the point of view of anything on the battlefield. Simply select the object you want to track and use the HUD view or the external cameras.

Right now, when you record a flight, the amount of data exported by IL-2 is supposed to be the same for all aircrafts and ground units.

Which means that in Tacview, you can choose to see the battle from the point of view of anything on the battlefield. Simply select the object you want to track and use the HUD view or the external cameras.

Interesting. All I am able to see are objects within my visual range. This has been confirmed with a flight on my test server with 40 players on.

Is there a way to set up TacView to record server wide? Like it does in DCS? Or is this not supported by BoS?

I'm really enjoying the software and our group is definitely going to be getting some licenses.

I think that the game record events only in between 10 km radius from recording player. Edited by 307_Tomcat

I think that Tomcat is correct on that point. It looks like IL-2 (like BMS for instance) is exporting telemetry only for the objects around the local aircraft.

If you can gather the flight data (acmi files) from several players in the same online session, you should be able to merge all of them one big battle. Simply open all the files at once, or use the merge function in Tacview to do so.

Ignorant question, watching a MP flight, not showing player names. Is that my fault or?

It's the way BoS labels the data, until the devs fix it you won't see the name.

I think that Tomcat is correct on that point. It looks like IL-2 (like BMS for instance) is exporting telemetry only for the objects around the local aircraft.

If you can gather the flight data (acmi files) from several players in the same online session, you should be able to merge all of them one big battle. Simply open all the files at once, or use the merge function in Tacview to do so.

Thanks for the response. Loving the software.

Tacview 1.7.0 is now available!

At last, the long-awaited update is here!

First, I'd like to give special thanks to the French Air Force, for sponsoring some of the major improvements in this version and accepting them to be published in the public version of Tacview. That way the whole community can benefit from the idea and support of everyone!

The first major improvement in this new version is a brand-new objects database. The old code has been replaced by clean and powerful module which can smartly analyse, in real-time, objects types and names to properly display the right 3D models and properties. In other words: no more surface-to-air missiles displayed like tanks! Another important feature of this module: you can now dynamically change *any* object property, and the result will instantaneously be displayed on screen without the need of reloading the file. This further improves the real-time telemetry as well as opening new possibilities like unidentified radar contacts, airbases captures, and so on…

This new database is fully customizable. Numerous 3D models have been already added, and new objects declarations are added every day. A dedicated documentation will soon explain how to extend the new database by adding your own declarations (especially handy when you are flying real-life aircraft which are not yet declared in Tacview): http://www.tacview.net/documentation/database/

The other new feature available to the proud owners of Tacview Standard and Tacview Advanced is the new synchronized media player. You can now play up to four (4) audio/video files synchronized with the 3D view! Very handy to playback the video of in-game HUD, instruments, squadron chat and even real-time GoPro videos! Because this new media player is based on the installed Windows codecs, all your favorite video formats should be supported.

You can read the following release notes to know more about the usual numerous improvements and fixes provided by this update.

Now that the new database is working and stable, I can start working on a brand-new module. But this is a surprise. I will tell you more about it as soon as I have something working ;)

Vyrtuoz

Video playback

956659875962081286.jpg

Filling up the new database

956659875962081286-TacviewNewDatabase.jp

FEATURES & CHANGES

• Added synchronized audio/video playback (up to four media at the same time)

• Brand new fully customizable objects properties database

• Added numerous new 3d models

• Improved helicopters and propeller aircraft models

• Integrated BMS Nordic theater version 2.1

• Integrated BMS Pillars of Hercules theater 0.7.8.6

• Tacview now supports GAE files with lines ending in blank characters

• GAE object rotation is now automatically emulated when provided data is invalid

• KML files hierarchical styles and aliases are now supported

• The registered license key is now displayed in the “About” dialog box

• Unknown objects will now be displayed with the generic triangle plane shape

• Added support for transparent objects for 3d models (typically used for propellers)

• An error message is now displayed in the debug console when a declared 3D model cannot be loaded

• It is now possible to not display the transponder code from the labels

• Improved VHS files merge (when Falcon does not provide all information)

• Objects groups can now be edited directly from Tacview

• Added support for Dynon Skyview EFIS csv files

• Added /Authenticate command line option which returns -1 when all loaded documents are authentic

FIXES

• Updated DCS World exporter to support DCS 1.5.8 and 2.2.0

• Upgraded Tacview clock to improve synchronization during online debriefing or media playback

• Tacview is now gracefully handling distorted aircraft orientation in BMS Theaters (notably Nordic and Ostsee)

• GAE files with longitudes of exactly 0 were not properly loaded

• Tacview is now using the date provided in GAE file name before using last file change time as a reference

• Line number displayed in error messages was not correct with files randomly mixing CR/LF characters

• The event log was not always detailed when loading a flight from a different source as before

• Fixed Z-fighting on threats domes

• AGL/ASL limits where not always properly displayed in charts

• Pitch angle was inverted when exporting object rotation telemetry from the charts

• Fixed crash when loading VHS files containing invalid (NaN) data

• Upvote 1

Can TACView be misused as well? or is there a time delay of recording?

Can TACView be misused as well? or is there a time delay of recording?

I know some servers can detect when you try to launch Tacview and stop you.   I was not trying to cheat,  I just wanted to look at my last fight after I landed.  Shame it did also recognise that I was not flying and just stop me spawning in.

I cannot even launch tacview when the il 2 is working. It is a little bit annoying when I want to switch windows to analyze a track. However that was to prevent cheating.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov
  • Upvote 1

ok...no matter what i do. i can't align the IL-2 maps on google earth i'm pretty sure there is too much stretching going on. i might have to use ArcGis and use a lot of reference points to actually get the whole thing aligned

I managed to bring in the Stalingrad map to Tacview but it looks a bit offset. Trying to check the coordinates. Its nice to see the map though as it makes it feel like its now related to the game

Edited by TP_Jacko
  • Upvote 1

Nice work Jacko!

If you want, I can mirror it on Tacview web site. Were did you take the data? Was it complicated to put all of it together in Tacview?

Good news guys: I can confirm that Battle of Kuban 3.001 properly exports the telemetry (acmi files) for the black sea theater!

Hello Vyrtuoz, love your app!

I'm not sure this if this is existing behaviour or not, as I've been using Tacview with DCS lately more than IL2.   WIth the Kuban release I've been playing a German campaign a ton and noticed that when I view my tracks, a lot of the Russian planes and at times ground objects aren't colored the opposite from me (I'm blue, and they should be red in my mind).   In addition, objects aren't being marked destroyed in Tacview when they are killed.   This is mainly happening with ground objects.     

My plane is also not picked out when I load the track, I have to manually find it and set it up as the primary plane.    I'm used to DCS tracks doing that, I'm not sure if that's something IL2 does.    

DCS World exporter is explicitly tagging the player aircraft so Tacview can easily auto select it when you load the produced data recording. I think that IL-2 data exporter does not support this feature yet.

Can you share me on of your acmi file which does not display the Russian aircraft with the proper color? I will use the data to check if this is a bug in Tacview.

No worries, all feedback is useful!

I have tested your file and noticed malformed data in it. Looks like a bug in IL-2 exporter which outputs invalid object names.

Thankfully, I was able to improve Tacview telemetry importer to gracefully handle this kind of invalid data. The improvement will be in Tacview 1.7.1 beta 2.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else get B1s and E3 Sentries flying around in Kuban using Tacview?

They are probably because of missing entries about WWII aircraft in Tacview database.

Can you share me some of your acmi files? I will do my best to add the corresponding 3D models if possible.

Tacview 1.7.1 is now available to everyone!

Download: http://tacview.net/download

This intermediate release offers many fixes and improvements.

You can now use the new time-shift tool to temporally merge the telemetry of different flights to visually compare performances and trajectories. This could be quite handy to visualize multiple take-off techniques, as well as comparing air-race trajectories.

Numerous 3D models have been added. If your favorite ones are not here, please share an acmi file, and I will do my best to add the missing objects in Tacview database.

Here is an example of the new time-shift tool:

• Load and/or merge several tracks
  • Use the time-shift tool to synchronize each attempt
  • Compare the results in the 3D view! (see the screenshot below)

Vyrtuoz

FEATURES & CHANGES

• Added a time-shift tool to fix telemetry or to create “ghosts” to compare performances
  • Added list of active aircraft in the 3D view to select and disable (SHIFT+CLICK) objects
  • Added real-time telemetry and remote-control passwords to DCS World exporter
  • FSX2ACMI and XPL2ACMI do not force objects colors to blue anymore (color can now be predefined in a custom dabase)
  • Minor improvements to the csv file importer
  • It is now possible to activate Tacview for the entire system in addition of current user
  • Added numerous new 3d models
  • Added sea surface in full 3D terrain mode
  • Improved submarines support
  • Improved the acmi importer to gracefully handle malformed object names in some of IL-2 acmi files
  • The main menu has been reorganized a bit to be more intuitive

FIXES

• Fixed performance issue: dynamic objects where displayed twice (1.7.0 regression)
  • Some textures where not always properly displayed on the ground
  • Objects auto-selection was always preferring bullseyes over ground objects
  • Bookmarks are now exported when exporting XML flight log
  • 5 and 20 minutes playback delay were considered as 10 minutes by the DCS World exporter
  • Opaque custom terrain textures where displayed as transparent textures
  • Matra missiles names are not correct in DCS World 2.5.0

981974666024714240.jpg

• Upvote 1

I upgraded by clicking to install the new version without previously uninstalling the previous version. Everything works but I demand myself if that was the correct procedure for the upgrade.

I started recording by pressing LCtrl+R. I saw the red recording symbol on up-right corner. But after a while it stopped with the message something like "maximum file size".

Does tacview recording also stops? How can I extend the time? and can I record tacview without recording the game.

Posted (edited)

@Kornezov

This is correct, when you install a new version of Tacview, it will cleanly overwrite the previously installed version on your system.

@Europa

I do not know if the Tacview recording also stops. I think it may continue, since there is no file size limit for acmi files.

Now, if IL-2 stops recording both files, there is one thing you can do: on a regular basis you can press twice LCtrl+R to cut the flight recording in several pieces. You should be able to load and merge all the corresponding acmi files in on whole flight in Tacview after your flight.

Edited by Vyrtuoz
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Vyrtuoz said:

@Europa

I do not know if the Tacview recording also stops. I think it may continue, since there is no file size limit for acmi files.

Now, if IL-2 stops recording both files, there is one thing you can do: on a regular basis you can press twice LCtrl+R to cut the flight recording in several pieces. You should be able to load and merge all the corresponding acmi files in on whole flight in Tacview after your flight.

So why do we have to start the IL2 recording with it then, can't we just simply assign another key and move on? Though I wish it starts to record the acmi file by auto everytime I play. Tacview helps alot. Thank you anyway for this great tool.

I tried starting and stoping the IL2 recording and it seems the tacview recording continued but can't say I am 100% sure as I tested it only once. The acmi file was continuous. But I will test it again.

Edited by Europa

I think that IL-2 dev time save development time by using the same key combination to trigger both data recording. Please let us know the conclusion of your experiment.