Vyrtuoz

Tacview – Understand what happened during your last flight!

Latest Official Version: 1.7.1

NOTICE: During this early stage, you may notice some discrepancies between your favorite simulator and the numbers displayed in Tacview. This is normal and will be improved in upcoming updates of Tacview and IL-2.

For now,  Tacview may best be used as a tool to understand the battle from a tactical standpoint, to improve your situational awareness, and your general energy management skills. It is too early to attempt accurate analysis of aircraft performances.

Your feedback is very important to me! Be assured that I’m listening to you and doing my best to integrate all your suggestions in upcoming releases. Before posting, please take a look at the FAQ and documentation first.

Follow the development of new features on Twitter and Facebook!

What is Tacview?

Have you ever wanted to understand what actually happened during your last flight? Tacview is an universal flight analysis tool which enables you to easily record, analyze and understand any flight to improve your skills much faster than with conventional debriefings. Whether for the private pilot or the virtual squadron leader, Tacview is an invaluable tool to understand what really happened and to improve piloting style and tactical skills.

With Tacview you can embrace the whole battlefield at once, draw advanced telemetry charts in one click, visualize radar locks, export telemetry for deeper analysis in your favorite spreadsheet or export debriefing logs in CSV or XML file format to create statistics for your squadron.

And don’t forget that Tacview works with all your favorite flight simulators and also real-life recorded GPS files!

Native Support for IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik can now record native Tacview telemetry files. All you must do, is to manually enable Tacview data recording in IL-2 configuration file:

Open \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\startup.cfg and make sure that tacviewrecord = 1. It should look like this:

[KEY = track_record]

fx_sound = 2

record_graphics_effect = 1

record_ground_vehicles = 1

tacviewrecord = 1

[END]

Now, every time you will press LCtrl+R during a flight, IL-2 will record Tacview data. Your flights will be recorded in \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Tracks\*.acmi

What about online games?

If you are flying online, by default, IL-2 Sturmovik will not record Tacview data. You can enable data recording by editing the *.sds server configuration file. Make sure that the following line is present in it: 

TacviewRecord=true

FAQ

Q: Is it free?

A: Yes, you can download and use Tacview as long as you want for free, without being bothered by ads or popups. After a trial period, if you wish to continue to use the most advanced features, you can either buy Tacview Standard or Tacview Advanced. A comparison of the advanced features is available online.

Q: Can I upgrade Tacview Standard to Tacview Advanced? How much does it cost?

A: Yes, you can! Just send me an email with a reference to your current license and I will send you back a link to buy the upgrade. It will cost you the difference of price plus the transaction fee.

il2-tacview-1.jpg

il2-tacview-2.jpg

Edited by Vyrtuoz
  • Upvote 7

Thanks for this!

TacView completes this -- and any other flight sim! 

Two questions:

(1) Is it possible to have the "rec" icon disabled in VR mode when recording? VERY distracting. I understand that this is an IL2 thing rather than a TacView thing, but the problem with TacView recording being tied to video track recording is that we not only get the latter whether we want it or not, but we get the icon in VR view that ruins immersion whether we want it or not.

(2) Currently, when viewing results, I see the aircraft type but not the callsign in the drop-down selection menu. So, e.g., if there are two Spits and two Bf-109's, I cannot tell which one is mine and which one is someone else's. Is there an option that I can turn on, or has this not been implemented yet and will be in the future?

Thanks.

I would love to know how to bring in the BoS maps, I see some ifo but really have no clue what to do. Will the IL2 instructions on your website eventually cover this.

what i did was download the Moscow and Stalingrad map and than i used the coordinates that are used for the IL-2 hight maps. it's not perfect, off by about 1-1.5km but it's ok for orientaiton. i hope i will be able to fix the last offset in the future

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Bearfoot

1) This is in the hands of IL-2 dev team. I am going to let them now about this good point.

2) I think the callsign data is not yet exported by IL-2. I am going to let them know about that too.

@TP_Jacko

Yes and no :) I will explain how to add custom terrain in Tacview. However, I have no clue on how to convert IL-2 native terrain in the format supported by Tacview… The terrain included in Tacview 1.6.3 were provided by IL-2 dev team. I will ask them for the Kuban map data as soon as it is available.

If you are talking about custom terrain textures / game map, then you may find the answer to your question in the following post:

True custom terrain textures

Now, you can display truly custom textures and orthophotos! No need anymore to produce perfect 1x1 degree tiles! All you must do, is to store your PNG and JPEG files in the appropriate folder and to declare your new maps in the appropriate XML file. You can use this feature to display real-life photoreal textures as well as the maps of your favorite region. PNG transparency is supported, so you can overlay several layers.

• Copy your pictures in C:\ProgramData\Tacview\Data\Terrain\Textures\
  • Copy the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacview (beta)\Data\Terrain\Textures\CustomTextureList.xml in C:\ProgramData\Tacview\Data\Terrain\Textures\
  • And declare in it your new pictures. All you need to do, is to declare the latitude/longitude of each corner of your texture. You can easily check them using Google Earth image overlay tool, in the LatLonQuad Location mode.

ok...no matter what i do. i can't align the IL-2 maps on google earth i'm pretty sure there is too much stretching going on. i might have to use ArcGis and use a lot of reference points to actually get the whole thing aligned

Asgar, thanks for looking into the maps importing. Its not a biggie for me. The tool is very usrful to see whats going on in 3D

i'm looking into map importing for me. i just shared my experience so far  :P I'm selfish here

Edited by 6./ZG26_Asgar

Hey Vyrtuoz, thanks for this great tool. I'm having trouble getting Tacview to record data while playing online. Is this server dependent? My .sds file is set in the manner described above.

Edited by GringoBoy87

Indeed, this setting is server dependent. You must modify the sds file on the HOST to be able to record flights. As a client, modifying your client sds file has no effect from what I know.

When I play a track from Tacview, it shows my aircraft flying in and out of the ground?

I'm a long supporter of TACView.  It works good with DCS.  Any help is appreciated

Il2 does not work yet with the Kuban Map properly . Flight directions, speed ... shows wrong data`s.

Edited by I./ZG15_dasSofa

I confirm that the Kuban map is not yet supported.

The Kuban map is in early access: IL-2 telemetry is distorted and Tacview will not display the proper map. This will be fixed in the coming updates of IL-2 and Tacview it is just a matter of time.

I am confused as to how this works.

I have this in "C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\startup.cfg"

[KEY = track_record]
fx_sound = 2
record_graphics_effect = 1
record_ground_vehicles = 1
tacviewrecord = 1
[END]

but when I press LCTR-R it records a track but no telemetry data.    OK I understand it wont work with most MP servers but it wont work when I record quick missions either.  Should it?

I have just tested a SP quick mission in IL-2 v2.012c and the telemetry data has properly been recorded.

Which version of IL-2 are you running? Do you see the little [REC *] in the top right corner of the screen after pressing CTRL+R?

The acmi files should be recorded in [\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Tracks] *NOT* in \My Documents\Tacview\

Also, maybe your IL-2 configuration file is corrupted. You can try to rename it and launch IL-2 to regenerate a file and see of the flight is recorded after that (just make sure tacviewrecord = 1 in the new file)

Edited by Vyrtuoz

Apologies.  I have found the telemetry.   I am not sure what I was doing wrong before but they are obvious now. I must have either been opening the track files themselves or looking for acmi files in the subdirectories for each mission inside 'tracks'

Apologies again for wasting your time  :scratch_one-s_head:  :(

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Heya, just a quick question. I'm unable to get ground units to show in tacview.

I've double and triple checked, that the sim is set to record ground units, however they're just not showing when loading and IL2 flight.

Perhaps i'm missing something? any and all help much appreciated

It is possible that some grounds units which are far away from your aircraft are not exported or spawned yet on the map.

Can you share me the corresponding acmi file and a screenshot of the mission map so I can compare their content?

Heya, just a quick question. I'm unable to get ground units to show in tacview.

I've double and triple checked, that the sim is set to record ground units, however they're just not showing when loading and IL2 flight.

Perhaps i'm missing something? any and all help much appreciated

Tacview is a Topgun level software for the flight sims. Any engagement looks different in Tacview and through the replay. The 3D maneuvering is much more perceptible and prone to analysis. After the fight it is possible to see what really went wrong and when.This is not magic software but a very usefull tool.

The advanced mode really enhanced my dogfight performance. I was able to significantly boost my performance thanks to this software.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov
  • Upvote 2

Actually I find any map an obstruction in il 2. I need just the planes and their trajectories. As long the bos and mop the terrain is flat anyway. For Kuban it is another thing, I do not know. The terrain thing is mainly for DCS as the terrain features are critical for missile evasion.

Tacview is a Topgun level software for the flight sims. Any engagement looks different in Tacview and through the replay. The 3D maneuvering is much more perceptible and prone to analysis. After the fight it is possible to see what really went wrong and when.This is not magic software but a very usefull tool.

The advanced mode really enhanced my dogfight performance. I was able to significantly boost my performance thanks to this software.

I considering buying this software, could you elaborate more about advance mode and how exactly it helped you in particular cases. If you don't mind of course. Edited by 307_Tomcat

I flew right into the back of a stuka at 500mph. Fairly certain Tacview would confirm 

• Upvote 1

The advanced mode gives you a depth for analysis. There are some patterns that become visible only with the advanced telemetry. This domain is completely unknown and it is basically unchartered territory.

Basically when you see a good pilots, like David red and AK47. What they do? How they do it? Even if you have the track you see things but there is not the whole story. There is a hidden layer.

I discovered one interesting pattern that charactarized really good pilots, this  is the ability to make very fast G cycle transfers from loaded to unloaded state and again (during those G transfers there is a course change). The exact measure is irrelevant, so the question if the software accurately translated the game is irrelevant.

So I found that exceptionnal pilots have patterns of flying that are unique to them. They are so unique that I can see only the charts and tell you that is AK47 or that is DavidRed.

Seeing those patterns the next question is how to reproduce them and to match them and reverse engeneer the actual maneuver whenever possible.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov

Thanks ,very interesting as learning tool. I was looking for tool to improve and find out what exactly happened since I don't have little previous experience in genre. There are other ways but they work with others like-minded persons which are hard to find, this app allows me to do it myself.

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Tacview 1.6.4 is available!

This intermediate release is manly focused on fixes and brings several improvements which have been requested for a long time (like the look-at dogfight camera).

Tacview 1.7 is already in development and will offer improved modules and tools related to customization. Like a new and smart database for the objects of the battlefield, as well as new module to manage navaids, airspaces, runways, ILS and so on.

NOTE: While the Battle of Kuban terrain has been added to Tacview, IL-2 (at least my Steam edition) still exports the coordinates for another much smaller battlefield when flying over the black sea. I have notified IL-2 dev team about that, let’s hope they will fix BoK battlefield coordinates in their exporter in an upcoming patch.

Enjoy!
Vyrtuoz

918897238935515136.jpg

FEATURES & CHANGES

• Added support for NMEA 0183 GPS files
• Added a Look-at camera mode to the dogfight camera
• Added IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Kuban terrain
• When not available, magnetic heading is now calculated using IGRF-12 models
• The line-of-sight between selected objects is now displayed in red when obstructed by terrain
• Attitude indicator, HIS and HUD heading indicator are now emulated when no rotation information is available
• Real-time telemetry and remote-control TCP ports can now be customized in DCS World exporter options
• Gear handle status is now recorded by FSX2ACMI
• It is now possible to mouse-hover buildings to display any available debug info
• Tacview will now display if the file is authentic, not altered since its recording
• Added more predefined types in the object properties editor
• You can now double click to restore the default aircraft trail size
• Boosted by a factor of two terrain texture resolution for the highest level of detail
• Updated BMS Ostsee theater to version 3.28.88
• Added BMS Nordic 2.0 theater

FIXES

• Mouse input (rotation, zoom...) is now giving the same result regardless on screen DPI
• Flaps status is now properly recorded for all FSX aircraft (e.g. A2A ones)
• Export Flight Log was not always working with Falcon 4.0 flight recordings
• The last lines of nmea and text acmi files was not always read (regression)
• Custom rectangular terrain textures were not always properly displayed
• Objects violating altitudes restrictions were not blinking anymore
• Debug console and log now properly output a full date including seconds
• Fixed multiple minor bugs in dockable windows
• The exporter will now properly work when the user’s name contains dots
• ExportFlightLog command was not exporting csv files when multiple file extension was used
Edited by Vyrtuoz

@Vyrtuoz : Just tried tacview above Kuban but it shows I am in the middle of nowhere in mother land. How can I show Kuban map?

37514017480_acb166b806_c.jpg

thanks!

EDIT : seems like Kuban.raw (and others, stalingrad and Moscow) is missing...

Edited by NN_RugbyGoth

The explanation is in my last post. I have just put it in red to not miss it.

NOTE: While the Battle of Kuban terrain has been added to Tacview, IL-2 (at least my Steam edition) still exports the coordinates for another much smaller battlefield when flying over the black sea. I have notified IL-2 dev team about that, let’s hope they will fix BoK battlefield coordinates in their exporter in an upcoming patch.

Edited by Vyrtuoz

@Vyrtuoz : Just tried tacview above Kuban but it shows I am in the middle of nowhere in mother land. How can I show Kuban map?

37514017480_acb166b806_c.jpg

thanks!

EDIT : seems like Kuban.raw (and others, stalingrad and Moscow) is missing...

Just the Kuban Map didnt work. The other ones works fine!

Me again. I agree that on Stalingrad and Moscow I have the right position, but the ground is just light green. No map displayed. Other pilots in my squad have the same. How can we add the actual map (with airfields, towns, rivers...)?
Seems to me that we are missing the "Moscow.raw" and "Stalingrad.raw" files

Tacview contains all IL-2 elevation maps. This does not include any visual representation of rivers, roads, … Just the shape of the terrain.

It is possible to overlay a texture on top of each terrain. But so far, I could not get my hands on one of IL-2 maps.

About custom terrain textures

Now, you can display truly custom textures and orthophotos! No need anymore to produce perfect 1x1 degree tiles! All you must do, is to store your PNG and JPEG files in the appropriate folder and to declare your new maps in the appropriate XML file. You can use this feature to display real-life photoreal textures as well as the maps of your favorite region. PNG transparency is supported, so you can overlay several layers.

• Copy your pictures in C:\ProgramData\Tacview\Data\Terrain\Textures\
  • Copy the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacview (beta)\Data\Terrain\Textures\CustomTextureList.xml in C:\ProgramData\Tacview\Data\Terrain\Textures\
  • And declare in it your new pictures. All you need to do, is to declare the latitude/longitude of each corner of your texture. You can easily check them using Google Earth image overlay tool, in the LatLonQuad Location mode.

I was using Tacview yesterday on a track of me diving on a convoy with a fighter and the plane icon stayed almost level throughout each attack but with bullets coming out of the bottom at 45 degrees.  Is that how it is supposed to work?

Kuban map telemetry is not yet properly exported by IL-2.

Make sure you are using the latest version of IL-2. The current version is 2.012b. Older versions of IL-2 may not export aircraft orientation.

Also, It is possible that your bullets are bouncing back and IL-2 just did not have the time to export their initial coordinate if you were really close to the ground..

Create VFR maps for Tacview in just a few minutes!

Jacques ‘Detox’ Deyrieux has just released Mapview 1.0.0, a great program to create VFR maps for Tacview in just a few minutes!

Simply add the region of your choice in the maps.ini file (do not forget to add the region in the GLOBAL section of the ini file). Launch Mapview. Adjust some of the parameters, and click [Go!].

Three new jpg textures modes have been added to Tacview 1.7.0 beta 2: adaptive black & white, adaptive color, and transparent. They will be available soon, till Tacview 1.7.0 beta 2 is released, make sure the blending mode is set to [Normal].

The next version of this wonderful program will be able to generate maps with OpenStreetMap as well as orthophoto from Bing maps!

Thumbs up to Detox!

pic-mapview.jpg

Blending modes available in Tacview 1.7.0 beta 2:

pic-tiles-blend-mode.jpg

You can find IL-2 terrains coordinates in C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacview\Data\Terrain\Custom\CustomHeightmapList.xml

Just make sure you round them to integers (degrees only, no minutes/seconds).

You can use Google Earth as well since IL-2 coordinates match the reality, despite the possible projection distortion.

It would be nice if gunnery statistics is presented at the end of the flight log or in the property section, that is, how many rounds of a certain type of gun are fired, how many of them hit targets in the air, and the corresponding hit rate.

Edited by wonders9