Sign in to follow this  
BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 45

Greetings, Friends!

We're happy to welcome you to the 4th week of Early access. It's been 3 weeks already that you're not just looking at screenshots, and watching videos, and reading our annoying articles - but you're actually playing, flying, and shooting in the game that was just an idea only 12 months ago. 

It's been a year since we published the announcement about cooperation between 777 Studios and 1C and our plan to create a new game in the legendary IL-2 Sturmovik series. The news were perceived ambiguously: some saw it as a chance for the sim to return after a big correction of old mistakes, others we afraid that we'll work out of the genre traditions, and others simply had no idea about who we were and what could be expected. 12 months after the announcement and 6 months after the start of Pre-order have passed, and you've shown your actual support to us and the project. It's Early access stage now, and we keep moving on. Thanks for all your support on that path.

Back to business now. You're about to get your hands on a new version of the game this weekend. The key addition is track recording. The video that you can find below in the post tells about this feature and gives a brief instruction for it (it's yesterday's live stream actually).

Here follows the text description of the track recording system controls (for the current, shortened version of the game):

LCtrl+R - start/stop recording

H - hide the play bar and activate cameras

LCtrl+F1 - choose camera that was recorded in the replay

F1 - pilot's view replay

LAlt+F1 - free camera in the cockpit

Access will be open to all Premium pre-order and Early access editions owners since 20:00 GMT December 13th till  20:00 GMT December 16th.

We're also glad to announce that buyers of the Standard edition will join the Early access program starting December 20th. Thanks a lot for your patience, and please wait just a little more.

Early access - week #4

Change log:

• Track recording features added
  • Ground textures quality preset changed
  • Shadow quality preset changed
  • A plane no longer disappears in the air after the pilot is killed
  • LaGG's compass fixed
  • New hit sounds added
  • A clone plane does not spawn in the missions anymore
  • Axis inversion, mouse sensitivity, and force feedback settings reset correctly now
  • Canopy opening sound added

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

Nice, I'll be joining in next week. Thanks devs,

Looking forward to the 20th. :)

In the meantime, any Premium owners in Gwynedd? :P

Edited by Endy
  • Upvote 1

???

Loft stated that standard edition owners will fly on the 20th December.

It says it in black and white in the 1st post.

Also spoken about in the recording of last night's live steam.

I was cynical as they told us we will get access in december....I thought it wont be at the end of the month :-) Nevertheless, good news...

Question about the recording, in the original IL-2 such track-files could only be played in the game.

Can the present type of recording be automatically played as [for example] vlc. ?

Gun cam track recording. I was thinking about linking my gun trigger to the track recorder. When I pull the trigger or, to take it one step further, drop bombs the recorder kicks in but crucially continues for several seconds after I release the trigger or the bombs make contact. It might be cool for someone,like me, who doesn't ordinarily record tracks.

• Upvote 1

Question about the recording, in the original IL-2 such track-files could only be played in the game.

Can the present type of recording be automatically played as [for example] vlc. ?

I'm going to bet it requires the engine to graphically render and playback everything, which VLC lacks. So you'd need to playback in game, and record from FRAPS to get into a media player friendly format.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to bet it requires the engine to graphically render and playback everything, which VLC lacks. So you'd need to playback in game, and record from FRAPS to get into a media player friendly format.

I just hear the team say in the latest video that the tracks can only be played in-game, so that sounds like the original IL-2 approach.

On the other hand, at the start of the video it is said that a track with all wistles and bells [high quality etc] can be around 100Mb. Now I seem to recall that the original IL-2 tracks were very small, I exchanged these small tracks with fellow simmers by e-mail. They were at most 1Mb or so

Edited by Roast

This is epic. It was staggering to find guncam recording missing from that certain other sim!

I have been continually amazed by the efficiency of the BOS team :salute:

awesome. Thanks a lot. Am really looking forward to all the cool videos our talented members will with no doubt make.

.trk files were very small but we're just text files. They were unreliable, often you could play a track twice and each time see a slightly different result.

.ntrk files were larger (nowhere near the size that Loft mentioned in the stream though), were in an encrypted code format and didn't have the reliability issues of the older format.

Ah, that's interesting to hear. I didn't know the story behind the type of files.

Thanks for explaining :good:

• Upvote 1

Nice update!

I will try to map toe brakes in Friedrich to my G940 pedals...

Glad our Standard friends will join us next week.

:)

It has been a very good year for our hobby, and 2014 looks really promising!

Looking forward to the 20th too, it will be a nice birthday present (although a bit late) :good:

• Upvote 1

Well tbh, by today's standards 100mb is relatively small. He also said during the live stream that 100mb was more of the top end for an hour long flight.

A questions

first, i dont ready all forum, i new in here and i expect undertand me.

1) Date to realease game;

2) [ no is question, but suggestion: more time to early access - phisics of the game is perffect, i belive and more time = chance to training squadrons]

Thanks and sorry if this no pertinent.

:)

1) Release is a ways off RedEye, last I heard was Spring next year.

2) They've said many times that the access period will be lengthened as time goes on. It started on weekdays to ensure server stability, now it's on weekends. Give it time, it will expand out gradually until it's 24/7.

buyers of the Standard edition will join the Early access program starting December 20th

jr8i0h.jpg

Nice track record system. :good:

Sokol1

1) Release is a ways off RedEye, last I heard was Spring next year.

2) They've said many times that the access period will be lengthened as time goes on. It started on weekdays to ensure server stability, now it's on weekends. Give it time, it will expand out gradually until it's 24/7.

Thanks.  ;)

Great update.  BOS development just keeps rolling along like a well-oiled machine.  Really appreciate the consistent way they are going about their business.  Keep up the great work!

• Upvote 1

When do we get to see a Focke Wulf and Lavochkin?

Per the teamspeak chat had on the rof ts during and after the livestream. Jason indicated that 3 more aircraft models are complete and awaiting FM's. And he speculated that the IL2 would indeed be next (though he advised us not to quote him on that). A great nugget of info he providd us as well was that we are testing tbings in early access that are sometimes only days old. So basically we are going to get things as they are completed.

Much like the trim tab system that is so eagerly awaited for the lagg. He informed us that the system has not been created yet by Petrovich. But that it is going to be made, just in the order that they have set out for themselves. So as for the 190 and LA 5. I would assume, based on the previous info, that it will be Feb. or March.

Maybe some one has a recording if the ts conversation?

@nevervne : I've been waiting for a revamp of the IL-2 since the mods have been possibe in the game.

I'd better wait a bit and be able to fly in a finished plane - even if I can't wait to fly in it !!!!

• Upvote 1

The answer is in Loft's post and it is underlined. It has been quoted several times in the comments since.

Standard edition owners will be flying December 20th. Not long to wait now. :)

Thanks, I know how to read and I've read, so i was wondering if we could have the last day, next week, eve of 25, the last weekend, preparations are in many families, and some we would not have time to try it.

• Upvote 1

Great stuff guys. Thanks very much for implementing the track recorder at this point of development!

:salute:

Yeah, looking forward to new training vid's from you :) .

:salute:

Just did a go and touch, my same result broke the 109 :( . Hope to have more time to refine my landing skills later today. ;)   Yes it nice to be in the air again.

Stand back fellars, the cavalry is here! AKA standard edition founders!

Gee, I can hardly wait! Rubbing my hands gleefully and all that....

But I'd like to make a point regarding the recording. It's a darn good introduction but Im wondering if they could make it like WoT where one can sit back and enjoy the replays without having to log in online first. It's less stressful. I know I'm speaking more for myself cos of the heavy Internet costs where I live. If I have to log on to watch my replays everytime (something I love to do as an aid to improving my gameplay) I'm afraid my service providers will make a killing! Okay, maybe not so much, but you do get my drift, don't you?

Devs, once again thanks for letting us standard guys in from the cold. It was such a long wait.

• Upvote 3