Sign in to follow this  
ShredderSim

Messerschmitt 109 - myths, facts and the view from the cockpit

Thanks. Some things are interesting.

Me 109 G:
"- Did you use the 7.9mm machine guns of the G2 model as an aid to aiming and only then fired the cannon? Were the light MGs good for anything ?
We used to fire all guns when in good position. The G2 had more ammo for the MGs than for the cannon, so it was worthwile to shoot with every weapon. Our idea was that if the cannon was jammed so the 7mm guns were worthless, then it was time to go home.
- Many a fighter pilot tells in their memoirs that the rifle caliber MG was almost useless. It could not penetrate the rear armour nor make leaks in the fuel tanks. Well, if you hit a carburator it might be split.
It pays to shoot always, you might hit for example the aileron mechanism or some other weak spot. "
- Kyösti Karhila, Finnish fighter ace. 32 victories. Source: Interview by Finnish Virtual Pilots Association.

Can you hear other sounds from the plane?

Kyösti Karhila being attacked by Soviet La-5:
"Do you hear the sound of passing enemy projectiles?
No, it is masked by the sound of your engine and the airflow, but I heard the tac-tac-tac of the enemy guns."

- Kyösti Karhila, Finnish fighter ace. 32 victories. Source: Interview by Finnish Virtual Pilots Association.

"-Can you hear the engine of another plane if you are flying next to it?
No, since your own engine is closer and its noise drowns that of the other one. But you can feel taking a hit, it is like "clack, clack". The holes then were the holes of the splinters of a heavy AAA shell."

Edited by Voidhunger
  • Upvote 2

Thank you! Pilot notes are a joy to read.

I specially like notes from Gunther Rall regarding F and G. I think the differences he describes have been perfectly nailed in the sim.