Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Oculus Rift + Touch - 399.00 for Limited Time

I got my lenses from vr-lens.eu https://vr-lens.eu/. I checked the reviews on vr-lens-lab and they were horrible, so I avoided them. I am satisfied with the lenses from vr-lens.eu. My only problem with them is that they can get loose during play sessions with heavy movements. Typically not a problem with BOX, but it happens more often than I'd like in Echo Arena.

With the premium version of the vr-lens-lab I do not notice any distorsion, but I can assume vr-lens-eu coud be a viable alternative.

Ill wont go back as well. But only once i received the next iteration with at least doubleled pixeldensity.

Then you'll need also a VGA with doubled graphic performance. And I hope one day to see one. Maybe within the next fife years. Since then I'll have my new PC with my new VGA and my new headset. But until then I'll enjoy my actual CV1 and 1070.

I started with the original subLogic Flightsim in DOS. Had a 2 button CH stick and a 14' monitor. Decades later I am "inside" my aircraft with full hotas and the engines rumbling under my butt. Sound all around. An immersion factor I could not have dreamed about. We are truly lucky to be in on the birth of this new age in gaming. This is not evolutionary, it's revolutionary. In over a year,I have not played outside of VR and have no desire to do so. Indeed, a game must now have VR or I can't abide it. No matter how good it is.

I agree with you, but only if with "game" you mean "simulator". I still enjoy FPS, RTS, RPG, and for that kind of games a monitor is still a good choice.

I've been eyeing that one pretty hard. The graphics look more than a little dated (is it based on the original Counter Strike from 2000-2001?) but the gameplay seems impressive.

On topic, it seems they sold a ton of those so far at the new price. No way to tell how far on backorder the Rift is since it is no longer being sold at major online retailers (amazon, Newegg) as either stand alone or as part of the original bundle (the one with the xbox controller), but the touch controllers are now on backorder for about 2 months. Seems that $400 price point was all that was really needed to get a wave of mass adoption. I know it wasn't something I'd even briefly considered getting back when it was $600+. But at $400, especially with the controllers and a few decent looking games included, it only took me 2 days to jump on it. On a related note, mine still isn't shipped, I really should have ordered 5 minutes earlier. :P

On topic, it seems they sold a ton of those so far at the new price. No way to tell how far on backorder the Rift is since it is no longer being sold at major online retailers (amazon, Newegg) as either stand alone or as part of the original bundle (the one with the xbox controller), but the touch controllers are now on backorder for about 2 months. Seems that $400 price point was all that was really needed to get a wave of mass adoption. I know it wasn't something I'd even briefly considered getting back when it was $600+. But at $400, especially with the controllers and a few decent looking games included, it only took me 2 days to jump on it. On a related note, mine still isn't shipped, I really should have ordered 5 minutes earlier. :P

You are going to love it I am sure, hope it gets shipped sooner rather than later. I look forward to reading the initial comments from some of you guys that are soon to be getting the Rift. 

Ya everything I have been reading now points to a pretty large backlog of orders and lead times getting out there, and with them still running the sale I doubt it will get much better anytime soon. I suspect some Chinese workers in a certain factory are getting some serious overtime in. 

I think Oculus may have been caught a little off guard with the reception of this sale pricing on the Rift.

You guys are lucky, you are getting this equipment during this sale for half of what I paid in middle of January of this year. Even then, I still think it was worth every penny I spent on it. I have had one heck of a lot of fun over the last 6 months, no telling how many hours I have spent in my Rift.

Edited by dburne

Well, it seems like they underbet the market equilibrium, in order to increase their share bigtime.

That's rare to see these days!  But let me tell you, this will mean that they will take a big leap forward in the future as well. They just took many consumers away from Microsoft's early-2018 MR headsets and made them their own. 

It seems like the most capable strategists regarding business sit in Oculus'/FB's HQs (easily dribbled out HTC with Touch and Price, and riskavoiding Microsoft by being early in the market). That usually indicates that the best horse, which you can set your bets on for future PC VR development, is Oculus.

I got my lenses from vr-lens.eu https://vr-lens.eu/. I checked the reviews on vr-lens-lab and they were horrible, so I avoided them. I am satisfied with the lenses from vr-lens.eu. My only problem with them is that they can get loose during play sessions with heavy movements. Typically not a problem with BOX, but it happens more often than I'd like in Echo Arena

I also chose the VR-lens.eu ones.

Perhaps you've done this already but just in case...

The plastic frames are a good design but 3D-printing usually requires some manual cleanup and these are no exception. If you look closely at the inside of those ears that clutch around the rift lenses, you will notice they have a "barb" there, (not sure that's the word).

However, at the sides of each of those "ears" there is some sharp excess flash and melted material, preventing that "barb" to properly lock in. With a scalpel or hobby knife it only takes a few minutes to scrape of this excess material and clean up the edges.

In return the lenses lock in better. But also, without those sharp bits of excess material, they are much less likely to damage the rift fabric

I remember back at the beginning of CV1 ocolus saying they didn't really make much (or any) money on rifts. This is how they were trying to defend their shocking price. It was shocking because their "ballpark of dk2" statement earlier in the first place. I got mine for 740 euros (!!!) and I had to order it to switzerland to a buddy then he got it to me because it was not available to my country. I almost felt like a criminal trying to smuggle something illegal. This was half a year after they launched the product "globally".

Now they have really jumped on the charity rift for all train. How nice they are.... Is there and option I submit an order and simply get the 200 bucks leaving them the new rift? Win-win. 

Well well I like the product but totally lost my simpathy to the company in the past few years.

I can not be anything but happy even if I paid full price on january. My bro has jumped in thanks to sales and is waiting his rift, and I'm waiting to fly in close formation :biggrin:

I can not be anything but happy even if I paid full price on january. My bro has jumped in thanks to sales and is waiting his rift, and I'm waiting to fly in close formation :biggrin:

:good: 

You guys will have a blast with that!

Well, just took the plunge!  I'd pretty much convinced myself that I would ride this one out and wait for the next generation VR stuff to come out next year or whenever, but I had a chance today to run by one of the malls in the area that had a Microsoft store set up to do VR demos.  Ten minutes later I was walking out with a bag full of Rift goodies.

I confirmed that I'll either need to get a new pair of single-vision, distance-based prescription glasses (didn't work without glasses, or with my mid-range computer glasses), or else get some of the custom lenses mentioned in some of the posts above.  And the screendoor effect was noticeable, so it may be tough for me to work past.  But, the sense of depth and immersion was pretty incredible just in the couple of freebie games they had installed (unfortunately, they don't have BoS installed to demo - I may go talk to them and see if I can convince them to install it if I buy it for them), and the issue of turning around to check six wasn't as problematic as I thought it would be.  I can't wait to get it set up on my rig so I can see how it looks in BoS (although given some things going on IRL I will have to wait a few days :(  - but I didn't want to take a chance on the sale ending by then) - if nothing else, it should be an interesting new toy to play with until the next generation comes out.

Well, just took the plunge!  I'd pretty much convinced myself that I would ride this one out and wait for the next generation VR stuff to come out next year or whenever, but I had a chance today to run by one of the malls in the area that had a Microsoft store set up to do VR demos.  Ten minutes later I was walking out with a bag full of Rift goodies.

I confirmed that I'll either need to get a new pair of single-vision, distance-based prescription glasses (didn't work without glasses, or with my mid-range computer glasses), or else get some of the custom lenses mentioned in some of the posts above.  And the screendoor effect was noticeable, so it may be tough for me to work past.  But, the sense of depth and immersion was pretty incredible just in the couple of freebie games they had installed (unfortunately, they don't have BoS installed to demo - I may go talk to them and see if I can convince them to install it if I buy it for them), and the issue of turning around to check six wasn't as problematic as I thought it would be.  I can't wait to get it set up on my rig so I can see how it looks in BoS (although given some things going on IRL I will have to wait a few days :(  - but I didn't want to take a chance on the sale ending by then) - if nothing else, it should be an interesting new toy to play with until the next generation comes out.

Post #666!!!  Welcome to the Dark Side  :ph34r:

Congrats, you are in for a treat the first time you get into the cockpit in IL-2.

I wouldn't worry too much about the screen door effect.  In certain games, particularly ones with large areas of flat colours they sometimes become evident.  But on IL2 I haven't noticed them at all.  I'm sure they are there if I look hard enough for them.  But, really, they are a total non-issue IMHO.  Resolution is the only real bug-bear at present, but it's still way better than playing flat @4k :)

So, who all is still waiting for them to ship? I am, Amazon claims it will ship before the 7th for the headset and before the 14th the controllers. Long wait given I ordered on the 12th of last month.

I ordered direct from Oculus on 15th July and am still waiting for mine. Last communication I had from them was that they hope to be caught up by the middle of August.

Incidentally Amazon here in the UK are reporting that they have the Rift + Touch bundle back in stock and available for order again. I was considering changing my order to be with them rather than direct, but if they don't really have them in stock then there's no point.

I've thought about doing that. It looks like I can actually order the new pack right this instant from newegg or elsewhere and have it in a couple days, but I do want the Xbox controller which is not included in the newer bundle offered now. Then again, no sales tax on Newegg, so that's $35 less...

The Microsoft store, of all places, had them in stock at the nearest mall, so I cancelled my amazon order and bought it there. It is the newer bundle, so no XBox controller but I can live without that (or just buy one). I've only made one flight so far with BoS, still getting things setup but my first impression is simply wow. I instantly became a far better pilot (for landings anyways) as depth perception makes sticking the landing far easier. Resolution is garbage, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be given what others have said about it. It also fits fine over my glasses, but it does seem to press them in slightly. Short term it isn't a problem but after a while it makes my nose sore. Might be able to adjust that away though.

Wound up getting the old bundle (with the xbox controller) from the Microsoft Store at a mall nearby a couple of weeks ago - had to wait for my prescription lenses from Zenni and my 3D-printed lense frames to get here, so just got a chance to start installing it yesterday.  Went through all the tutorials and played a couple of missions of the included freebie game Robo Recall (pretty cool, actually, though the touch controllers can be pretty frustrating sometimes - very hard for me to grasp things without having my thumbs hit some menu button and pause me out of the game - usually in the most dire of situations of course), but then it got too late last night to start messing with BoS.  Got Steam VR installed earlier today, and almost ready to fire up BoS and see what happens.  I'm having a little trouble in the demos/freebie games with sitting as close to my desk as I'm going to need to be for BoS - it keeps saying I need to be farther away from the sensors or something, so that's got me a little worried, but hopefully that will sort itself out somehow.

Panthercules,  I've been waiting for your report.  How did the glasses thing work out for you?

Plus, as soon as you try out BoS I'd love to hear what you think.

Panthercules,  I've been waiting for your report.  How did the glasses thing work out for you?

Plus, as soon as you try out BoS I'd love to hear what you think.

OMG!

The glasses thing worked great - found a cool-looking set of 3D printed Oculus insert frames via Googling and ordered it and the pair of glasses from Zenni (using my normal, distance prescription numbers) that the frames were designed to fit (the info from the guy who designed the insert frames told you exactly which Zenni pair of glasses to buy).  Both came within about 7-10 days, and total cost was about $10 for the Oculus insert frames and $15 for the glasses from Zenni (including shipping).  They seem to be just what I needed.

There was a little flashing weirdness as the BoS opening menu screen was loading in, but it pretty much went away once I got into the mission menus.  Just took my trusty I-16 out for a scenic tour on the Moscow Autumn map.  I still have some work to do mapping controls to my stick and throttle quadrant (keyboard really was as useless as I'd expected it to be), and also twiddling with some of the graphics settings to find the optimal mix, as I'd expected.  My FPS seemed locked around 45 and I guess ASW or whatever it is was kicking in 'cause I did notice some graphic weirdness with the prop, so I'll have to read up on how to deal with that.

But OMFG the feeling of being in the cockpit and the feeling of actual altitude when looking down at the ground was astounding, and the rush from strafing the factory and barely missing the smokestack with the buildings hurtling by at maybe 50 feet altitude, or flying along the rivers at below treetop level, was soooo much more intense than it ever was before.  I tried a landing (which I'd actually never tried in the I-16 since I only used it for flight testing before) and, although it didn't end well, I could tell that the sense of where you are in relation to the ground was much improved and it should help with landings generally once I get more used to it.

All in all, I'd say this is going to be one fun toy to play with till the next generation of VR stuff comes along.  

Edited by TG-55Panthercules
  • Upvote 1

It's an incredible sensation of being there, isn't it?  Even when just taxiing, it feels so good to have the canopy up, and to be able to pop your head out and look at the engine popping away, and get a better view of the runway.  It even feels "airy" with the canopy open.  I was flying the other night, and was looking for a height advantage over a couple of 109's, when, all of a sudden, I  felt nervous about going any higher.  I was actually getting scared of the height, cos my brain was totally fooled. It took me back to my paragliding days, whereby I loved flying, but always hated being "top of the stack".  Amazing stuff!  I'll never go back to flat!!

I already have singly vision "computer glasses" that I use, they have almost non exisitent frames so I think I should be good to go with that.  Recently hit back to back trifecta's that would all but pay the $400.  Hmmmmmm.

OMG!

But OMFG the feeling of being in the cockpit and the feeling of actual altitude when looking down at the ground was astounding, and the rush from strafing the factory and barely missing the smokestack with the buildings hurtling by at maybe 50 feet altitude, or flying along the rivers at below treetop level, was soooo much more intense than it ever was before.  I tried a landing (which I'd actually never tried in the I-16 since I only used it for flight testing before) and, although it didn't end well, I could tell that the sense of where you are in relation to the ground was much improved and it should help with landings generally once I get more used to it.

All in all, I'd say this is going to be one fun toy to play with till the next generation of VR stuff comes along.  

Kind of says it all!

I love reading these first reports from new Rift users, trust me while the initial rush is incredible  that feeling  does not really go away, at least it has not for me.

Wait till your in a dogfight laying some cannons on an enemy's six and a wing departs and comes hurling toward you.

I already have singly vision "computer glasses" that I use, they have almost non exisitent frames so I think I should be good to go with that.  Recently hit back to back trifecta's that would all but pay the $400.  Hmmmmmm.

You may want to do a demo or something to test your glasses.  I also have a single-vision pair of "computer"/midrange glasses, but when I did the demo with them they did not work as well as my distance glasses did - that's why I went with my distance prescription for the lenses for my Oculus insert frames, and that seems to have worked well.  No idea why that would be, but someone else had said that in another thread somewhere around here, and it seems to have been borne out by my experience.

Just clicked buy now :) however I will need to upgrade my graphics card as its a 780ti :(

Just clicked buy now :) however I will need to upgrade my graphics card as its a 780ti :(

I've got the cash waiting in my wife-proof slush fund for the 'rift and a 1070 but I'm pretty sure she'll cut-up a bit rough if I start sporting blacked out diving gear around the house. :( 

might have an angle - she's been talking about us getting a ragtop two-seater now we only have one sprog at home - but it'll turn into a bloody expensive VR experience if I have to go that far.

Can I join your pension scheme Crash?  :cool: