Han

Game version 2.011 discussion: Spitfire Mk.VB, Blazing Steppe, New graphics features

Awesome team!!

Han has now posted the full performance details on the tech specs page, so I can calculate that the game Spitfire Vb has a CLmax of  1.33-1.34

This is very close to the RAE test figure for the Mk.II (?) - basically the team has used the power off stall speeds derived from RAE testing using trailing pitot measurements, hence their 85-89 mph stall speeds, and not the raw figure given in manuals - 73 mph , since this was subject to a large measurement error. Ie they were what the RL pilot saw in the cockpit, but not what the plane was actually doing.

Since our cockpit instruments do not have these errors, we should see what the plane is actually doing: ie stalling at a higher speed than you might expect from reading the manual.

This is consistent with their approach to other aircraft. 

More detailed discussion belongs in the FM sub-section, but I thought it might be good to have a summary here 

• Upvote 1

They are in set out in the game - look under the specs tab during the flight set-up.

Thanks for a very fun aircraft.

post-13181-0-79144300-1499346743_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

did that work?

No… Once game reinstalled, I encountered the very same problem and had to manually launch vc_redist.X64.exe as explained by Sneaksie and all is fine now !

Half an hour lost but this game worth the time and any effort.

Merlin 45 engine:

Maximum true air speed at sea level, 3000 RPM, boost +9: 480 km/h

Maximum true air speed at sea level, 3000 RPM, boost +16: 535 km/h

Running on the deck in a 109 isn't going to work well vs the Spit.

How long can it run at 16psi?

Edit: Emergency Max All Out power (up to 5 minutes): 3000 RPM, boost +16

Wow

Edited by Tripwire
  • Upvote 1

Thanks devs for everything! I'm happy that optimization passes are still happening. Really helps for those of us with sub-optimal hardware. Keep it up!

The Spit is gorgeous, love it!

Flew a quick mission in VR, very nice plane!

I crashed and burned during dogfight and was unable to cleanly exit the mission, had to force program to close through alt-tabbing out. Just had a blank screen for the mission results screen and nothing else.

In graphic settings uncheck full screen

In graphic settings uncheck full screen

Ah, I did change it to full screen after the update this morning - must have been a reason I was not using full screen lol.

So far it has only happened the one time, but guess I should uncheck it again to be safe.

Thanks,

Nice experience seeing the larger gunsight of the Spitfire in VR. Everything focuses well out to infinity in both eyes as it should.

Every other sight has not been big enough for more than one eye.

Is there some trick to fuel gauge like i-16? Mine was reading 0 with 80% fuel.

from Gavrick's DD:

The fuel gauge indicates the amount of fuel left in the feeder (bottom) tank when the fuel gauge button is pressed. In the sim, the pilot automatically presses the button twice in a minute if he doesn't do active maneuvering. The amount of fuel left in the upper fuel tank can't be indicated.[/size]

If you watch the fuel gauge it will sit at zero then automatically flick over every now and then.  

All is OK now!

The water radiator does it job and get rid of the oil overheating.

I get my reflexes from COD back, only the mixture control is inverted, in the Spitfire MKI or II it in front of the throttle here it is behind.

All the speed limitation for take-off and landing are the same, that is nice.

120 rounds per gun for the cannons and 350 r.p.g. for the 0.303.

Now the new campaign, I flew in quick succession the first two missions, very addictive, very realistic, read the mission briefings and feel the battle developing into a full war.

The skies are nicely full of planes and the pc I have does not any difficulties with it.

Once again and again thank to the development team(s), hip,hip,hip hurrah!

:salute: 

Excellent update, the Spitfire is really wonderful to fly and the sound is impressive. Game is working flawlessly, second to none. Thank you very much devs!

Can anyone comment on the draw distance improvement? The claim is that draw distance has improved by 1.5 times. 

Can anyone comment on the draw distance improvement? The claim is that draw distance has improved by 1.5 times. 

Han meant 50% further.

Jason

The Spit feels really great, not ridiculously out of balance when slightly out of trim, unlike the DCS MkIX.

However, slide-show frame rates that I didn't get before - for about 2 minutes. Even after a driver update.

It's as if some texture data is being swapped in and out until it settles. A bug I'm sure.

56RAF_phoenix

EDIT: maybe now for 30 seconds after the driver update

Edited by 56RAF56RAF_phoenix

Man those cannons in the Spit are lethal, love em!

Granted not a lot of ammo, but used sparingly with good aiming they can rip those 109's to shreds. 

For those of us unable to update for a while...

Anybody willing to do some comparison shots of the new graphic settings?

Also the new water crash effect ;)

• Upvote 1

So what is the main difference in the stock engine by default and the Merlin engine mod? I have been flying so far with the stock engine.

I tried the rear view mirror in the Spit, seemed to get more of a performance hit in VR out of it this time so I am leaving it off. Just need to keep my situational awareness up - ie work that neck lol.

Downloaded!

Now I must go to work. :(

Once again - thank you Jason and team.

I am having issues with the framerate as well, I hear everyone saying to update the driver, do they mean go to the Nvidia website and update that? I have a GTX 9 something.

Installing the new graphics driver helped 9./JG27DefaultFace with this problem.

Re-installed the game and updated my graphics driver and all is running sweet again. :salute:

Edited by bzc3lk

I am having issues with the framerate as well, I hear everyone saying to update the driver, do they mean go to the Nvidia website and update that? I have a GTX 9 something.

Yes.

Yes, identify your video card and operating system.

Go to Nvidia.com and search for the latest drivers for your setup.

I myself do a custom installation, preferring to just install the graphics driver and PhysX. I untick those other items like 3d, audio, GeForce Experience.

So what is the main difference in the stock engine by default and the Merlin engine mod? I have been flying so far with the stock engine.

Basically it's the altitude for which they are optimised. The Merlin 46 achieves its best power output at a higher altitude, while the 45 does so at lower altitudes. The specific power outputs for different altitudes are listed in the aircraft specs. On the whole the Merlin 45 is slightly more powerful and the speed gains at low levels compared to the 46 are larger than the speed loss at high altitude. The operation and limits of both engines are the same. 

Flying with the Merlin 45 will give you a slight edge in most situation in this sim, but the more historically correct choice would be the Merlin 46, since it was by far the most common engine on Soviet LL Spits.

Basically it's the altitude for which they are optimised. The Merlin 46 achieves its best power output at a higher altitude, while the 45 does so at lower altitudes. The specific power outputs for different altitudes are listed in the aircraft specs. On the whole the Merlin 45 is slightly more powerful and the speed gains at low levels compared to the 46 are larger than the speed loss at high altitude. The operation and limits of both engines are the same. 

Flying with the Merlin 45 will give you a slight edge in most situation in this sim, but the more historically correct choice would be the Merlin 46, since it was by far the most common engine on Soviet LL Spits.

Gotcha, much thanks for the info!

Nice job..spitfire looks nice..

Here my first spit kill online

Nooooooooooooooo.....!

;)

Was there ever any concave mirrors used in the spifire? The flat mirror is rather uhh, well not relaly useful since it has like a 5 degree field of view and I don't have trackir to easly look around it.

Only one niggle... can we not open the cockpit without the door coming down as well?

From the manual on landing... ''During the preliminary approach see that the cockpit hood is locked open, and the emergency exit door is set at the half cock position.''

The door should not come fully open.

Spitfire is gorgeous.... :fly: ....

No fun here .....

Downloading the update

Fps max 5

Game is no longer payable

Before the update 60 fps  on normal settings

amd six core

geforce gtx 680

8 gig ram

Edited by 1.JaVA_KEBEN