Han

Game version 2.011 discussion: Spitfire Mk.VB, Blazing Steppe, New graphics features

The instrument on the panel is a gyroscopic 'direction indicator'. The compass is lower down, mounted horizontally in front of the joystick. Neither are 100% reliable while manoeuvring in the real aircraft: the gyro loses direction entirely under high-G turns, while the compass lags as you turn one way and leads while you turn the other. After combat, fly straight, and check the compass (which is darned difficult to read), and then check that the gyro is reading the same - it should settle on the same reading (in BoX, in reality the pilot needs to reset it manually), and can then be used for navigation provided you don't turn too hard. 

Can I just add that somewhere in the DD or notes the devs comment that the gyroscope is "caged" automatically by the pilot when performing sharp manoeuvers, so it is not "stuck": in RL the pilot would, if he remembered, press a button that fixes the gyroscope in place so that it does not get "confused".  After you fly straight and level for a while it will be automatically uncaged.  So it is similar to the fuel gauge mechanic where the pilot automatically makes a check every now and then.  Slightly annoying if you are a procedural sim purist, but it saves us all having to make yet another key command binding!

OK, ground level speed for the Spitfire is on the generous end of the historically correct range. It's no big deal.

But it does render the low altitude 18lb M engines moot, since it's fast enough to catch Fw fighter bombers at 16lb already.

https://books.google.ru/books?id=q1zfo63_KRYC&pg=PA11&lpg=PA11&dq=10.+(jabo)+jg+2&source=bl&ots=rYTm4rednh&sig=e0OsEKM2VaiGjKTpFGoKynMxr9M&hl=ru&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKkebDgovQAhWD_iwKHZ10A-Y4ChDoAQhNMAg#v=snippet&q=330%20mph&f=false

They ve done their job fine it seems. Up to 330 mph speed on a spit V.

the only problem is that 2 min bug which should be fixed ASAP

Edited by Max_Damage

I have removed references to FMs since Jason's 2nd request to keep this thread on track .. Please keep all FM discussions here.. 

What Spitfire was he flying? What weather conditions? Position error is 8-10 mph at that speed.

EP559 he was allegedly flying in May 1942 got to 312SQN on August 2nd. It was damaged on August 19th by Fw190's, received a M45M engine in late 1943 and was eventually shot down by a P-47 on December 21st, 1943. Not quite the lucky Spitfire...

The picture of the damage very well illustrates the damage (pg. 121) from a 20mm HE round, probably a mine. A 20mm AP round would have been a simple 20mm hole.

Edited by JtD

Great update! Since then I can run the game in Ultra mode with HDR and SSAO without any lags (Geforce 1060 6GB, i5-6400, 16GB Ram and SSD).

Can you guys make a modification for VR users please?

In order to eliminate the very strong artifacts that appear with ASW in the fast moving propeller circle, can you disable the propeller once it starts spinning please, so that it isn't rendered? That would allow us to use ASW without abandoning IL-2s beauty - currently it is a giant immersion killer, and a big nerf to gunnery when you see one target three times, while the crosshair flashes all about. You're not multicrosseyed after all))

Thank you for consideration.

Edited by 1CAG_Fenris_Wolf

Can you guys make a modification for VR users please?

In order to eliminate the very strong artifacts that appear with ASW in the fast moving propeller circle, can you disable the propeller once it starts spinning please, so that it isn't rendered? That would allow us to use ASW without abandoning IL-2s beauty - currently it is a giant immersion killer, and a big nerf to gunnery when you see one target three times, while the crosshair flashes all about. You're not multicrosseyed after all))

Thank you for consideration.

Have you tried the sim with ASW disabled?

That is what I ended up doing, always fly now without ASW and I like it better. 

Second hot-fix which is contain a solution for extremely low FPS when using old NVidia video card drivers is released.

The problem was: current NV API is providing invalid system parameters when working with old drivers (for example - driver have provided data that there are 84 video cards on PC).

Now in that case NV API will not be used. So, due to this, to have a correct SLI and 3D Vision support on your PC you need to update your video card drivers to current version.

We believe 780 cards can now use older drivers as a work-around as before to play. If this doesn't work please let us know. We still do not have a fix from Nvidia for the 780 issue on newer drivers. If that changes we will let you know.

• Upvote 18

Thanks Han. Although I have two GTX 970 cards working in SLI mode and not a 780 nevertheless the hotfix has solved my stutter problems with the grass distance in 4X. Now everything goes fine!!! :good:

Yep, it's working again, GTX 780 with old drivers! A big thank you to the devs! 

Second hot-fix which is contain a solution for extremely low FPS when using old NVidia video card drivers is released.

The problem was: current NV API is providing invalid system parameters when working with old drivers (for example - driver have provided data that there are 84 video cards on PC).
Now in that case NV API will not be used. So, due to this, to have a correct SLI and 3D Vision support on your PC you need to update your video card drivers to current version.

We believe 780 cards can now use older drivers as a work-around as before to play. If this doesn't work please let us know. We still do not have a fix from Nvidia for the 780 issue on newer drivers. If that changes we will let you know.

Trying to clear up the language barrier for my own understanding: does that mean people with cards newer/higher than the 780 are losing out on a modern API to support legacy hardware? Or does this mean the game/driver/system are disabling the API based on the hardware you have installed?

The way I read Han's post is that those of us with newer cards are fine, they just changed something so that 780 users could go back to the old drivers.

• Upvote 1

Oh no... I have my 780 working just fine with the latest drivers... does that mean I now have to revert to the old ones again?

Oh no... I have my 780 working just fine with the latest drivers... does that mean I now have to revert to the old ones again?

no if it ant broke don't mess with it.

Dramatic performance improvement, from 50 to 100 fps (on 1060!)

Dramatic Graphic improvement thanks to the Forest drawing distance 1.5 times on Ultra graphics preset -->  :cool:  :salute:

Forest far far away I see you where you try to hide :biggrin:

Can't wait to see the new shadow tech coming with the next update.............. :)

post-14161-0-50700700-1500914070_thumb.jpg

Have you tried the sim with ASW disabled?

That is what I ended up doing, always fly now without ASW and I like it better.

Yes of course. ASW is working properly in most other games though, and has its reasons. It is a great feature that I don't want to miss in IL-2. It just cannot handle the rapidly rotating picture-cutting prop blades.

Don't you think the obvious actual (hot)fix would be to remove prop blades for VR users once they run quick enough, and not to disable one of the most important VR features released in 2017?

Edited by 1CAG_Fenris_Wolf

Yes of course. ASW is working properly in most other games though, and has its reasons. It is a great feature that I don't want to miss in IL-2. It just cannot handle the rapidly rotating picture-cutting prop blades.

Don't you think the obvious actual (hot)fix would be to remove prop blades for VR users once they run quick enough, and not to disable one of the most important VR features released in 2017?

It was just a suggestion, I know for me I like it better with it off in BoS currently.

DCS is even worse with ASW on, at least with the Spit.

Certainly if game developers could do something to make this better when running ASW on in these flight sims that would be nice as well. They may just not have the resources to devote to it at this time.

Edited by dburne