schurem

excited for tomorrow!

Not to nitpick but shouldn't it be Buzz Lightyear in that meme?

For this picture the text should be something like "The hills are alive with the sound of Merlins".

Yeah, I know, I'm a dick.

• Upvote 4

Not to nitpick but shouldn't it be Buzz Lightyear in that meme?

For this picture the text should be something like "The hills are alive with the sound of Merlins".

Yeah, I know, I'm a dick.

Its all good! I just threw it together real quick from my meme generator on my mobile. I see what you're saying though. :biggrin:

Either way, I am excited to give the Spit a VERY warm welcome.

post-114771-0-17549000-1499318639_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm absolutely baffled by the hype the Spitfire is causing. And i don't mean this in a negative way. Although i don't share the extreme enthusiasm of most, i think it's nice that one plane can cause such excitement among many. 

Grt M

Spitfire will be an important element of released content, heck, maybe one of the most important this year.

Knowing how many fans are there and how many Spitfires exist already (in DCS, FSX, Il-2 clod and others ...) it will be compared and reviewed in detail. No wonder it causes such emotions.

I'm absolutely baffled by the hype the Spitfire is causing. And i don't mean this in a negative way. Although i don't share the extreme enthusiasm of most, i think it's nice that one plane can cause such excitement among many. 

Grt M

It is the first completely new plane since the Ju 52, so I get the excitement 

It is the first completely new plane since the Ju 52, so I get the excitement 

That's a valid point indeed. Haven't thought of that. We are going to see a lot of new stuff the next 4/5 months. 

Grt M

Yeah it's always exciting to get something new. Adding to the anticipation is probably also the fact that the Spitfire is a plane that we have seen modeled in one incarnation or another in so many other flight sims, which really makes you want to see, just how it feels in this sim.

Still the star of the show in BoK to me is the P-39. A legend on the Eastern front it's such an interesting and ambiguous aircraft, that's just in its right element. Hopefully it's gonna be a ton of fun to fly.

• Upvote 3

The P-39 and Hs-129s will be the ones I'm looking forward to most.  Rare and unique.

btw: Blacksix is online right now....  :cool:

• Upvote 1

Yeah it's always exciting to get something new. Adding to the anticipation is probably also the fact that the Spitfire is a plane that we have seen modeled in one incarnation or another in so many other flight sims, which really makes you want to see, just how it feels in this sim.

Still the star of the show in BoK to me is the P-39. A legend on the Eastern front it's such an interesting and ambiguous aircraft, that's just in its right element. Hopefully it's gonna be a ton of fun to fly.

I'm most excited about the Hs-129, and the A-20. In general i'm not that fond of purebred fighter planes like the Spit. And let's not forget the map which will come somewhere during the next 2 months.

Grt M

Yeah actually I'm gonna revise my statement from before. The map is the real star of the show.

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone. Achtung spitfire. Its gonna great...i think the engine mod was a brilliant move. Just think of a make believe channel front 1941 scenario 109f vs mk v. As per B6...cant wait for the campaign.

Grt M

For some of us it will be the first plane which was flown by our national heroes like Zumbach for example. And it is really great feeling - a mix of proud and joy. And Spitfire is a real beauty.

P.

• Upvote 1

That for me is the main reason to be excited about. It is such a gorgeous piece of metal. And of course history. I dont mind the map, just some sky, some clouds, a messerschmitt to shoot at and I'm fighting the battle of Brittain. In VR. Oh yeah.

That for me is the main reason to be excited about. It is such a gorgeous piece of metal. And of course history. I dont mind the map, just some sky, some clouds, a messerschmitt to shoot at and I'm fighting the battle of Brittain. In VR. Oh yeah.

Mooie stad waar je woont. Ben er geboren. :)

Grt M

S!

Oh the Spit... always makes my index finger pull the imaginary trigger ;) ... Noticed this one summer when there was a Spit flying in a local air show. I was constantly imagining a Revi sight in front of me ;)

It`s great to see all this enthusiasm about Spitfire! Lot of folks will be happy today.

I don`t understand the hype though, it`s too elegant to be a war machine  ;). 109 on the other hand, it looks like it`s out to shoot people down  :hunter:

But I`ll fly her in any case. Can`t wait for the Kuban map and the campaigns  :salute:

who cares about elegant i want my tool of war, i want my Panzerquacker  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

A Spitfire campaign would make no sense as long as we don't have the Kuban map anyway.

One can still make campaign at map of Moscow for 16.IAP of 320.IAD PVO. The only problem would be quite a lack of action = boring  ;)

One can still make campaign at map of Moscow for 16.IAP of 320.IAD PVO. The only problem would be quite a lack of action = boring  ;)

I could deal with less historical campaign with more action  ;)

Ooooo just a perfect day......

Free day from work, spit coming out and vkb gunfighter just arrived

Edited by redribbon

Surely you could do Rzhev Vyazma campaign on the Moscow map for 1942-43 

Surely you could do Rzhev Vyazma campaign on the Moscow map for 1942-43 

Germans were long gone from Rzhev when spitfires came to Moscow PVO  ;)

Its probably been sat ready for a few days now, they said they would wait until after the sale for release :dry:

Its just not the spit. Each update is always filled with a lot of new improvements that needs testing :)

Grt M

Personally I find it strange that every Spit thread features "humourous" posts from LW about how Spits will look great when getting shot down.

Did every plane get that treatment, or is it just backlash because of how (justly) popular the Spit is? Was there the same reaction from VVS players when new LW planes were announced?

For some of us it will be the first plane which was flown by our national heroes like Zumbach for example. And it is really great feeling - a mix of proud and joy. And Spitfire is a real beauty.

P.

This. For some of us (especially the old gits) the Spitfire has a meaning that transcends it's objective characteristics as a warplane and even her elegance.  Perhaps the Russians feel the same way about the Il-2; I could quite understand that.  

It is not about crude nationalism, "our plane is better than your plane": nor an analytic weighing up of what "won the war".  The Spitfire has captured the imagination and has come to represent, for some of us, a time and mood in an idealized form, in a way that, for instance, a Flower Class corvette, that might have a claim to be more important objectively to the British and Commonwealth war effort, has not.  

No doubt the excitement will settle as the plane's limitations become more apparent - but any time I see that wing shape I will still get a thrill.

• Upvote 2

This. For some of us (especially the old gits) the Spitfire has a meaning that transcends it's objective characteristics as a warplane and even her elegance.  Perhaps the Russians feel the same way about the Il-2; I could quite understand that.  

It is not about crude nationalism, "our plane is better than your plane": nor an analytic weighing up of what "won the war".  The Spitfire has captured the imagination and has come to represent, for some of us, a time and mood in an idealized form, in a way that, for instance, a Flower Class corvette, that might have a claim to be more important objectively to the British and Commonwealth war effort, has not.  

No doubt the excitement will settle as the plane's limitations become more apparent - but any time I see that wing shape I will still get a thrill.

Amen to that.

Plus it's time the eastern front get some proper RAF Banter. :)

Grt M

When I was 3 years old I remember my father giving me two small plastic airplanes that I could play with. They were a Spitfire and a Mustang. Almost immediately I could point to both the plastic version and a photo of the real thing and say "Spitfire!" This is one of those aircraft that transcends their own reputations as a warplane to become something else. That is, I suspect, why I was so excited for this aircraft announcement. I'm legitimately excited about all of them and its been fun to jump into the cockpits of each and learn their characteristics - but the Spitfire is special.

I think I was 5 or 6 years old, when my father gave me my first plastic kit of a WW2 aircraft. It was a Spitfire Mk. 1 (which he insisted on calling "Speedfire" - his English has room for improvement) and he proclaimed that it was "the best fighter aircraft of the war".

I was immediately hooked on WW2 aircraft, but concerning the Spit the effect was actually the opposite of what people describe here. I was actually turned off by the hype and tended to shun famous aircraft like the P-51 and Spitfire in favor of first German/Italian and then Soviet aircraft which I felt (and to some degree still do) has received an unfair amount of bad press.

The Spit is loads of fun, but its sheer popularity makes sure, that it will never hold a special place in my heart.

post-13181-0-90562600-1499372624_thumb.jpg

Well said "unreasonable",

it's more than just a plane, it's a symbol to many, myself included and part of our childhood memories.

My dad used to tell me his hole ridden jumpers for work were the result of being shot down in world war two whilst flying a spitfire in the battle of Britain, I remember sitting in wide eyed amazement believing every word of it. I only realised as I got older that he was born in 1947!!!!

but that roar of the Rolls Royce engine is the sound of freedom to me.

I absolutely love what the Devs have done with it.

Cheers

Fink,

I've just lost all respect for you!!! :P

• Upvote 1

Yeah actually I'm gonna revise my statement from before. The map is the real star of the show.

This

I'm giddy about the Spit - can't wait to get home and take her up.

...but the map is going to be the true gem of the series for some time.

• Upvote 1