Sign in to follow this  
critical_mach

VR Hand Tracked Cockpit

I know this would be hard to implement retroactively, but I would love to someday see motion controllers come to Il-2. I have been recently following a VR flight sim that uses motion controller hand tracking to allow an entirely interactive cockpit, everything from switches and throttle to stick inputs.

The Vive wands would be especially well suited to this. With a 3d printed retainer that slides under your seat cushion to retain the controller while you use it as a stick, I think it might compare, or even exceed some flight stick or HOTAS setups! I know the force feedback is going to be better!

The Vive controler has no force feedback. Controlling an aircraft is going to be really difficult without any resistance on the stick such as a spring. Maybe a controller like the Leap Motion that tracks your hand movements but still allows you to use a joystick.

The Vive controllers have as much force feedback as most modern joysticks. It's actually far better at inferring things like tension in a spring or, for example, a bow string. Watch the video. The guy braces the controller on his leg, could be an arm rest, could be an actual retainer that hinges and allows you to place the controller between your knees. I could throw together and print one in an afternoon.

If you haven't tried a Vive and used the controllers in a similar configuration, it's easy to write it off as difficult. But when you have the visual feedback of the stick, with the force feedback from the controller, you'll find it very easy to make precise movements and recenter the controller. One point of contact is all that is needed. This wouldn't work as well with the Oculus touch controllers though.

This looks really neat and would add an additional layer of immersion. We would all have to truly know our aircraft of choice instead of simply using the same button for the same function across the different cockpits. I sadly haven't gotten into VR yet, but I'm excited for what the future holds with regards to flight sims.

• Upvote 1

I've tried Ultrawings (No not that sort.  Get your head out of the gutter and concentrate) and to be honest the lack of tactile feedback and having no physical resistance from the stick or throttle wasn't very good, in fact it was just a bit pants  :lol:

I suppose you could have a system where you keep your throttle and stick, and wear, lets call them, "tracking gloves" but the software would only track them, for the purposes of a flight sim when a pressure sensor did not detect, that your hands are on like your hotas for example.

let go of the stick to scratch your face, so does, the virtual pilot. I think this way the player would get the best of both worlds, tactile feeling of the stick / throttle / peddles, but also able to let go, flick virtual switches and pull virtual levers / wheels etc.

There is so much potential with VR, I look forward to watching the tech evolve.

Edited by herne6210

best will be when Vr evolves and no need for stick or gloves or anything.

Just a simple port and it can make it feel like you holding a stick with resistance just by altering the brains signals.
;)