jcomm-il2

I would Love to have gliders !

If one day a "Battle of... " could take gliders ( Allies and Axis ) into play, that would be JUST GREAT! for me :-)

• Upvote 1

Are thermal updrafts modeled in this sim? 

• Upvote 1

There were gliders in original IL2.

Never saw them used in all the years we played it.

I suspect the same result would happen here.  

Developer time would be better spent elsewhere

• Upvote 1

I wonder how relevant that is. AFAIK glider that where used in WW2 had no ability to fly "themselves" and had to towed most of the journey. And as much as i disagree with sinned on his anti Junkers crusade i really do think this is stretching it to much. I know a lot simmers want every aspect of flight modeled but in can't see this having a place in a eastern front ww2 sim. 

Grt M

On one of the early maps of TAW I was climbing in a JU87 circling the airfield. it was a turbulent day, but my bird was nicely trimmed for a 260 kph climb. My left wing kicked up in the air and I actually had to use a large left stick input to turn into it. In the gliding world this would tell me that there is a thermal on my left. I swear, by turning my JU87 to the left that the variometer shot up to to over 10m/s while the attitude and speed remained fairly constant.

I asked myself did I just hit a thermal ? Nah . . . If thermals were modeled then there would have to be sink too, and the game really can't be that complex . . . . can it ? For a few seconds though in that JU87, I really did wonder if I had just passed through on the edge of a thermal.

Seriously guys,

How would the gameplay for gliders look like in fr example MP? 

- Start in lobby, select DFS en chose load-out

- Spawn on airfield and ask in chat for Ju-52 to get you of the ground

- Get towed to the front-line

- Unhook en glide for 20 min with +-100 km/h 

- Land and end mission...

I know this sounds exciting(..), but i just don't see it.

Grt M

• Upvote 1

AI-only gliders would be ok as long as they fitted the scenario. Eben Emael, and Crete for the Germans; Sicily, Normandy, Arnhem and the Rhine crossing for the Allies. Did the Russians have any at all? And I can't see them being used at Midway :lol: . So no planeset, no relevant maps and no likelihood of getting them.

It's a big no to gliders for me; there are far better things we haven't got yet.

• Upvote 1

Gliders are cool, but there are other cool things that we need more for now. A Li-2 for example, to balanca out the transport planes.

They could just model ridge lift in Kuban and a modernish glider and I'd buy it immediately. Sod the warfare, running ridges is one of the most exciting things to do in aviation in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

I'd love to have gliders, my grandfather flew them because he wasn't allowed to be a paratrooper because he had to many false teeth. If he had become a paratrooper he would have participated in D-Day, so I may not be here if he had. IIRC he flew a Waco CG-4 Hadrian. I think it'd be cool to have. 

They could just model ridge lift in Kuban and a modernish glider and I'd buy it immediately. Sod the warfare, running ridges is one of the most exciting things to do in aviation in my opinion.

Would also be useful to ride while climbing in heavy bombers, but you can't have rising air without sinking air, and I wonder what kind of server load such a system might introduce. 

Well,

thanks for all your posts so far.

As a glider pilot IRL, for more than 3 decades, of course I would like to see a ww2 glider modeled in Il2 BoX, but the weather components of soaring would probably be very difficult to implement while maintaining the rest of the game fluid enough...

Anyway, IMO, il2 still has a very good weather engine in as far as wind variation and turbulence go - actually muchf better than the usual default civil sims...

One of the first gliders I flew was a Bergfalke 3, in the early eighties :-), a model that made it's debut around 1950...

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 2

As a fellow glider pilot I'd also love to see it but it makes about zero sense for the devs to spend a minute of time on.

More than anything I just hope a flight sim title with as great of a VR implementation as this one comes along that supports gliders. The devs have just done such a great job with the VR that even the civilian sims are lagging behind. Aerofly FS2 has a couple gliders but does not yet simulate the aero-tow which is one thing I'd love to have if nothing else than just for keeping my skills sharp during the winter.

Anyway, none of that is relevant to IL2 other than for me to say thank you to the devs for what they have produced. It really is the pinnacle of aviation simulation for me and nothing else comes close.

• Upvote 2

As a fellow glider pilot I'd also love to see it but it makes about zero sense for the devs to spend a minute of time on.

More than anything I just hope a flight sim title with as great of a VR implementation as this one comes along that supports gliders. The devs have just done such a great job with the VR that even the civilian sims are lagging behind. Aerofly FS2 has a couple gliders but does not yet simulate the aero-tow which is one thing I'd love to have if nothing else than just for keeping my skills sharp during the winter.

Anyway, none of that is relevant to IL2 other than for me to say thank you to the devs for what they have produced. It really is the pinnacle of aviation simulation for me and nothing else comes close.

I couldn't agree more with you !

Apart from ELITE IFR, IL.2 BoX is my only other flightsim.... and I have used pretty much every sim ( civil and a few combat ) you can name, since 1987 ....

But I confess that for Soaring I am still looking fwd for anything like SilentWings 2 or Condorsoaring 2  ;)

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 2

Well, the Flight Dynamics in Il-2 are probably the best out there for Civilians. So far I have only about 41 Seconds of Flying time on an SG-38 so I wouldn't mind having that. As well as about 30 hours on K-13 and K-8 and some GRP Toys as well. 

Since Gliders are faaar less complicated than any of the other Aircraft ingame, no Engines to Model, Extremely simple DM, about 10 Moving Parts and no big debates about High Speed behaviour etc. I think the Addition of something Period Correct like a Grunau Baby, Meise or Kranich wouldn't be all that intensive in Development. 

The Lack of Transports in MP can be explained with bad Mission Design. Apparently we have Mission Builders who cannot understand the Mindset of Transport Pilots and only give them Suicidal Paradrop Missions. 

And Tranport Gliders could be AI, so could the Tow Plane. A bit like FSX. 

If Mission Builders would get away from the "every Plane must be used offensively" Mindset our cause would be furthered a lot. 

White Shirt on the left Rope is me, got to start later that day as well, twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZig5ujrMPM

And another one, the Dutch Guys in an FI of mine

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann
  • Upvote 2

AFAIK glider that where used in WW2 had no ability to fly "themselves" and had to towed most of the journey.

On a sidenote: I used to know a now deceased gliding enthusiast who was a kid still getting trained on troop gliders in WW2 and always told the story how he got in trouble for thermaling them..

• Upvote 1

Never saw them used in all the years we played it.

It was used plenty , in the 12 y ears I flew IL2 every day I can count on one hand how many  times I was online

You saw human flown gliders every time you went online?

Sorry sir, not buying it one bit.

Every aircraft I fly becomes a glider at some point...

Pulled of a beautiful field landing with a JU87 with a damaged engine on WOL earlier tonight. Normally It will topple over but managed to set her down in one piece the right way up for a change :)

Like a moth to a flame, Sinned will answer the call...

WEINER_SIGNAL.jpg

You owe me a new shirt. I was drinking coffee when I read this. That was beyond awesome.

As a current tow pilot, my club required me to get three dual hops in the two-holer before allowing me to tow. I got two takeoffs and all three landings. That will be the extent of my glider flying. The sailplane guys invite me to ride with them and the CFI-Gs ask if I've gotten the bug yet. Gliders (and the Ju-52) just don't do anything for me. :mellow:

Of course we need gliders. Eventually we need the whole package. My hope is that one day these guys can have the budget they deserve.

I agree with several others here. Though it would be a "pretty neat" option, I just don't see a practical application for this in this sim. Maybe AI gliders to torch, but beyond that, without having troops that run and engage and attack targets, it just seems kinda silly. Perhaps if there were a way to tow the AI gliders within range of the drop zone and them landing successfully would trigger some sort of asset capture it would be cool I guess, but then we would need an Li-2 to kind of round out the supply/paratroop/transport/tow plane package, as the Germans already have the Ju-52 in game. Like I said before, it would be neat, but by no means necessary. I'd rather see the Li-2 introduced so both sides have a player flyable transport.

I agree with several others here. Though it would be a "pretty neat" option, I just don't see a practical application for this in this sim. Maybe AI gliders to torch, but beyond that, without having troops that run and engage and attack targets, it just seems kinda silly. Perhaps if there were a way to tow the AI gliders within range of the drop zone and them landing successfully would trigger some sort of asset capture it would be cool I guess, but then we would need an Li-2 to kind of round out the supply/paratroop/transport/tow plane package, as the Germans already have the Ju-52 in game. Like I said before, it would be neat, but by no means necessary. I'd rather see the Li-2 introduced so both sides have a player flyable transport.

The Ju 52 wasn't the only aircraft used for towing but also the He 111, Bf 110, Ju 87 and other that are not in the sim. As for the russians I've read they also used SB and DB-3 bombers for glider towing which both would be interesting aircraft to have in this sim.

To get people into the mood of gliding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwITsfx3ETw

Would be ideal for resupply missions in the mountainous terrain of Kuban

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

The Ju 52 wasn't the only aircraft used for towing but also the He 111, Bf 110, Ju 87 and other that are not in the sim. As for the russians I've read they also used SB and DB-3 bombers for glider towing which both would be interesting aircraft to have in this sim.

To get people into the mood of gliding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwITsfx3ETw

Would be ideal for resupply missions in the mountainous terrain of Kuban

Nice looking gliders those :)