Sign in to follow this  
Bullets

Help With Throttle Controllers

So basically I am wondering if there is anything like this out on the market, I have looked but can't find anything for an affordable price..

Ideally all I want / need is 4-6 levers to help control multi engine aircraft in our sim as I am getting ever frustrated with only having one throttle lever on my joystick to taxi bombers..   Thanks  :salute:

41Y59MF4FML.jpg

Um... you just posted a picture of something that offers exactly that. It's the CH Products throttle quadrant - I use two of them to satisfy all my lever-related needs, and while not state of the art they are tough, reliable, and definitely up to the task.

Edited by ruby_monkey

I was just wondering whether there is any other products on the market similar (Hopefully cheaper..)  :salute:

You can try out the Saitek throttle quadrant (3 levers) - they are not very expensive and offer quite a good quality.

I have one of these and I'm very happy with it. Good response and precise. You even can change the knobs of

each lever - plus you have 3 two-way switches.

post-65179-0-61524700-1498559563.jpgpost-65179-0-17687800-1498559569.jpg

So, if you buy two of them, you can configure it anyway you want/need.

Cheers

Edited by Therion

Ah I didn't think of buying two 3 lever ones! I will have a look thanks!  :salute:

Hi mate

I just checked the prices of these throttles - they're between 40-50 eurons...  :salute:

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Although more cheap* avoid Saitek Quadrant, their cheap potentiometers will give you headache (spikes), soon or later.

* But (Amazon prices):

CH Quadrant - 6 levers = $120

Saitek Quadrant - 3 levers = $60

Same price for lever.

• Upvote 1

Keep an eye on eBay too - I bought my second CH quadrant for £80 a month ago, and it was in almost brand-new condition (my first quadrant is over a decade old and still going strong).

Edited by ruby_monkey

I have that CH Quadrant as well, has worked great for me in the past compliments my Warthog throttle nicely. Now that  am going to move up into doing my own engine management in BoS I will be hooking that puppy back up. 

The extra axis' is very nice to have.

plug in another random controller use the buttons from that..

Eg, Take a Steering wheel with lots of buttons
clamp this to desk off to side of controls then use the 10-25 buttons and stuff on there for plane.
also can use the steering axis for things if wanted.. (like ground steering tiller of sorts)

if you have no pedal can even map the brake and accelerator to rudders (depending on pedal design)

Owning both, Go for the CH one without a single hesitation.

Saitek are really bad.

Out of the two I had, one had two faulty potentiometer (reaching their max values way before the lever was fully pushed forward). I've tried multiple calibration tools, plying with deadzones and response curves but in the end, I never managed to get them synched nor working with the full movement of the lever. Really annoying for flying twins.

The other one was spiking right out of the box. I've taken it appart to clean the pots and found out that even brand new, they were already quite dirty. Unfortunately I damaged a capacitor on the chipboard while putting everything back together and the thing isn't working anymore. I've scraped some parts from it to customize my CH quadrant (longer levers for the two throttles). 

I've came across a post from an electronician somewhere saying that these aren't true potentiometers, but cheap variable resitances that are supposed to be set at a value and not touched very often afterwards. And this is why they tend to spike rapidly because they wear off much quicker than a true potentiometer designed to be operated constantly. Wether or not this is true, Saitek engineering and quality control is still very questionnable.

My CH quadrant worked flawlessly right out of the box and still does today. 

It's plasticky and doesn't look as appealing as the Saitek product but quality is far ahead. 

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

Alright now I just need to wait for one to pop up on ebay  :biggrin:  :salute:  Thanks guys