Sign in to follow this  
badracketadam_wagner

Pimax vs. Oculus - Personal experience with both

I've been an Oculus supporter since the DK2. I admit to being a bit of a fanboy - but really I'm just enthused by VR in general.

Which is why I thought I'd give the Pimax a try. The idea that I could give up a bit of refresh rate and 6DOF for the resolution of the next gen Oculus headset intrigued me. Also, since I bought through Amazon, it was a low-risk purchase :-)

I'll cut to the chase ... I'll be returning it. Here's why:

1. Resolution in the Pimax *is* better than the Oculus, but only in the very center, and only if the headset is positioned perfectly. Everything but the center is much blurrier, which is distracting.

2. Ability to change from focusing on near objects to distant objects was much harder. Often, I couldn't get a plane in focus, even if it was dead center in view.

3. Rotating my head corresponded with a mild fisheye effect of the view. It was more like looking at a 3D photo of a cockpit through 1990s QuickTime viewer than being *in* the cockpit.

4. The color is *much* duller and muted than in the Oculus. I didn't fully notice this until I switched back to the Oculus after flying a few missions in the Pimax.

5. The field of view is smaller, further compounding the blurriness near the edges. 

I'm using the latest Pimax software and firmware. I adjusted my IPD. 

If you're on a budget, the Pimax is passible. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying VR. But, if you already have an Oculus or Vive, don't get jealous of the additional resolution of the Pimax ... it isn't worth it.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, finally someone able to put forward some personal experiences after trying a high end VR headset vs the Pimax.

Hopefully more people try a HTC Vive or Oculus Rift to see that you may actually get what you pay for, prior to just jumping straight into Pimax which I believe is missing some critical features like perfect 1:1 tracking to make the experience more immersive. 

Thanks Tripwire. I too was surprised by the lack of direct comparisons. I hope this saves some Oculus / Vive owners from "grass is greener" thoughts, *and* encourages those curious about VR to try the Pimax (it's still totally awesome ... just not quite as awesome as the other two).

Many thanks badracketadam_wagner, I also was tempted to buy the Pimax just for comparison.

As you said, you were giving up on the lower refresh rate (60Hz) and the lack of native 6DOF, this latter reason was the really reason for me to pass. But now it is even more clear to not buy it.

I am sure every year there will be more and more VR devices to try, things will only get better and better... 

As soon as I will see a greener garden I will change my very green garden!  :salute:

Very interesting, great to see some feedback from one who has tried both.

I was never really tempted as I am very happy with my Rift and definitely the no 6dof/positional tracking was a no go for me.

I do look forward to the next generation though, but that won't be until probably 2019, but I have a feeling it will be a nice leap in the technology. For me it will likely be a Rift CV2, or maybe even a Vive 2 depending on how things shake out.

Thanks for posting!

Yap, my thoughts exactly.

I advised sometime ago to pass pimax and get a REAL VR.

Apparently it hurt some pimax owner's tender feelings so I had to apologize.

I have both vive and oculus.

Pass this piece of VR wannabe.