Gavrick

Developer Diary, Part 162 - Discussion

They already said it wont.. that stuff will come in the patch after  :unsure:

I don't get it tbh, aircraft development was almost 2 months ahead when the H16 and A3 were released together, then the 1943 IL2 took ages considering they were ahead and now the spit is even more late  :(  :huh:  You guys decrease in team size or something?  :blink:

No, the global FM revamp is a HUGE undertaking and almost all of the new aircraft are being built from the ground up. Then there is the FM review and tweaks for individual aircraft. The historical data review for the new AC alone is quite the endeavor, not to mention the actual builds and testing.

Time estimates are just that, estimates.

• Upvote 2

Amazing sound, It seems to assist in the video a true take-off of a real airplane, great job devs

No, the global FM revamp is a HUGE undertaking and almost all of the new aircraft are being built from the ground up. Then there is the FM review and tweaks for individual aircraft. The historical data review for the new AC alone is quite the endeavor, not to mention the actual builds and testing.

Time estimates are just that, estimates.

Also keep in mind, that both the A-20 and the Hs-129 are already flying in the sim, even though both aircraft aren't due for another 4-5 months. Maybe they are ahead of schedule, and we have no idea about it. Best not to speculate too much and enjoy, that we are getting awesome newstuff on an almost monthly basis.

• Upvote 1

The engine is it going to cut when applying negative G?

From what I know, the Mk V had an improved carb that allowed constant fuel flow even in negative g maneuvers. Thats not to say that it never happened though.

I personally like the earlier carburetor spitfires more than the later variants, I know it's not good but I just like when the engine cuts out.

Also keep in mind, that both the A-20 and the Hs-129 are already flying in the sim, even though both aircraft aren't due for another 4-5 months. Maybe they are ahead of schedule, and we have no idea about it. Best not to speculate too much and enjoy, that we are getting awesome newstuff on an almost monthly basis.

You are right but I am still gutted  :(

Great piece of work!

Superb model, I'm just not sure about the external sound... I just don't recognize it, but apparently many here find it fantastic so it's all good I guess. I'll double-check when it's released :)

• Upvote 1

It would be absurd to think that they developed an "old" FM for the new planes. They knew they were working on the FM revamp for months. Why do twice the work for an unreleased plane?

It would be absurd to think that they developed an "old" FM for the new planes. They knew they were working on the FM revamp for months. Why do twice the work for an unreleased plane?

+ 1000 they clearly would be modeling it with the new tech/lessons learnt. Some people cant see the wood ...........

I've been putting off my return to flying with any regularity (outside of mission testing) but the Spit is going to it for me. Bring it on.

Wondering what the graphical optimizations and improvements are all about in that latest sale announcement.

Wondering what the graphical optimizations and improvements are all about in that latest sale announcement.

That's the improved airfields on the Moscow map.

Gavrick the man! What a write up.

Looks like a pretty good roll-rate on that bird considering the wing area!

Christ, love this sim!

Edited by temujin

Nice video, I like the sound of that Merlin engine, it sounds like victory.

Didn't expect Merlin 45M engine mod or adjustable range settings for gun sights!

And thanks Jason for release date, saves me the trouble of checking for game updates every 20 min or so...

Didn't expect Merlin 45M engine mod or adjustable range settings for gun sights!

Whoops! What did I miss there? Didn't notice that.

EDIT: Oh there it was. I had completely skipped that part.    :wacko:  Awesome!

Edited by Finkeren

Great update. Looking forward to it. Thank you devs...

BTW: Did anyone else notice how exceptionally slender the "bars" are around the windscreen? That view forward is amazingly good compared to what I was expecting.

Yes, it looks wrong to me, compared to the real Spittie cockpits I have poked my head into. (EDIT: but it looks about right compared to the photos earlier in this thread).

Also I noticed that the starboard and port landing gear rise simultaneously. I believe one rose a bit before the other due to the hydraulic fluid lines.

I never noticed the small kink in the wing root, but it is there in both this model and in the real Spits, excellent detail!

Can't believe those who are complaining about the spit only coming after July 6... Entitled or what?

Edited by Freycinet

Yes, it looks wrong to me, compared to the real Spittie cockpits I have poked my head into. (EDIT: but it looks about right compared to the photos earlier in this thread).

Also I noticed that the starboard and port landing gear rise simultaneously. I believe one rose a bit before the other due to the hydraulic fluid lines.

I never noticed the small kink in the wing root, but it is there in both this model and in the real Spits, excellent detail!

Can't believe those who are complaining about the spit only coming after July 6... Entitled or what?

Well once it is properly released I am sure people can source good images and compare it too our model and highlight if anything needs to be made more accurate, there was a very good thread made about the Mig a while ago about all the tiny imperfections in the model  :salute:

The gunsight range and wingspan settings can also be mapped to an axis. :)

• Upvote 5

Any word on the potential modifications? (thanks for the Merlin 45/46 option!)  Did the Russians ever try mounting their own bomb racks/bombs/rockets on the spit5?  I'm curious to know what other potential "mods" will be there.  That mirror looks great too.

That video presentation, while brief, was certainly welcome.  I'm looking forward to reading the comments when we get to try this bird out.  I'm sure it will be entertaining.  

I was kind of excited reading the thread thinking it had been released, and that I'd be trying it this evening, but alas, we have to wait for a little bit longer.

The dog fighters among us will probably really enjoy this plane in quick turn fights.  Good times.

I bet it's going to be really nice in VR too.  Cheers for now guys.

Re the carb, I guess we'll find out how it's modeled once the Spit is released but as I understand it the flow restrictor only works well if you're at full throttle (which is fine, I guess we only bunt heavily in a dicey combat situation anyway) and you'll want to avoid prolonged inverted flight.

Edit: I see the DD describes the Spit as "it is easy to land", I guess the 'Spitfire Bounce' isn't modeled? I suck at landing anyway so if I don't have to deal with the bounce I shan't complain! :biggrin:

And thanks Jason for release date, saves me the trouble of checking for game updates every 20 min or so...

It's the regular 45 we'll be getting rather than the 45M, so two high altitude engines are our options although on the plus side we'll get +16lb emergency boost which will help a lot at low altitude for a few minutes.
+1 to your comments about the sights and the release date :)

Re the frames around the windscreen, I suspect a number of people are more used to seeing the Spitfire cockpit with the internal armored screen (the frames of which are fully visible to the pilot) rather than the external one we have here.

Edited by HBPencil

I think some grime like they put around the edges of the mirror would look good around the edges of the the canopy frames as well.

The only Spits I've been able to poke my head into were Spitfire IX and XVI models with the integrated internal armor plate. These are modeled as earlier versions more similar to the Mark I/II than the later series. There were Mark V models with the integrated armor plate and the Seafire III had this feature too. The more slender/better view looks about right. It's similar to what you'd see in the IL-2: 1946 Mark Vb but not the Vc in that series.

Any word on the potential modifications? (thanks for the Merlin 45/46 option!)  Did the Russians ever try mounting their own bomb racks/bombs/rockets on the spit5?  I'm curious to know what other potential "mods" will be there.  That mirror looks great too.

That video presentation, while brief, was certainly welcome.  I'm looking forward to reading the comments when we get to try this bird out.  I'm sure it will be entertaining.  

I was kind of excited reading the thread thinking it had been released, and that I'd be trying it this evening, but alas, we have to wait for a little bit longer.

The dog fighters among us will probably really enjoy this plane in quick turn fights.  Good times.

I bet it's going to be really nice in VR too.  Cheers for now guys.

There may not be very much to modify on this aircraft. The Merlin 45/46 engine choice. Perhaps the mirror add/remove. The Russians didn't make a lot of modifications to the Spitfire. It wasn't well suited for ground attack so they didn't do that. The armament was deemed adequate (compared to the 12 gunned .303 armed Hurricane IIb anyways). It also only served in a small number of units.

Hopefully it is not the IX model.

It's the Mk.Vb. Nothing has changed from when BoK was first announced. The DD makes this abundantly clear.

The Spitfire MK V b or c are a great addition to this game thanks and waiting until the release of the 1.02 patch is not a great sacrifice I think when we imagine the total of work put into the production of this beautiful plane.

But, yes there is a "but", I am still not convinced by the form of the upper engine cover just behind the spinner, please look at this pictures and look at the pictures in the game I find that there is something wrong there! Is It me?!

spit_in_clouds_zpsm6ite6lx.jpg

53902805.SupermarineSpitfireMk.V2_zpsxas

In any case thanks for this great addition to the BOX planes.  :salute: 

Edited by senseispcc

Yes, some Vb's had their wings 'clipped' to increase the roll rate, (at an expense of speed) to help counter the 190 threat to give better performance in that regard at lower altitudes.

That's not entirely correct.  

At altitudes below 10000 feet the clipped winged VB was about 8kph faster than the standard version.  At 15,000 - 20,000 feet it was about the same and at 25,000 feet the standard version was slightly faster.

Edited by Wulf

Is the Vokes filter included? I have an urge to set up some QMB missions over open water and try to kid myself it's off the coast of Malta. :)

Is the Vokes filter included? I have an urge to set up some QMB missions over open water and try to kid myself it's off the coast of Malta. :)

The Russian Spitfires were not fitted with the Volkes tropical filter. I'm trying to find the name of this filter but I can't. There was the Aboukir filter which was used to later develop the Volkes Aero-Vee filter (fitted on Mark IX models). I think what we see here is a much smaller dust and snow guard.

Best in-game image I can find now is here:

post-19-0-14827000-1496322178.jpg

I just have to say that the ground view portion of the Spit video is like watching real footage from an airshow.  Two thumbs up!

take a look at those pics, i dont think you have the right Spit?!

Well, the Merlin engine even with the early versions required some bulges to cover the cylinder banks of the upright V. When viewed directly from the side, the nose was going in a pretty straight line, but when viewed from the sides at some angle, you'd see the bumps senseispcc highlighted. Personally I also feel that there's a small difference between the real thing and the game 3D model, but it's only apparent from some angles. The bumps are there, the straight line over the nose is there, but maybe some transitions are off a little. Best to wait for it to be in game and judge then, not that I think it matters much.

Edited by JtD

I'm glad that I must be wrong on this given the multiple favourable comments, but to me the engine sound doesn't have the distinctive Merlin growl that I was hoping to hear. Your thoughts?

The Spitfire MK V b or c are a great addition to this game thanks and waiting until the release of the 1.02 patch is not a great sacrifice I think when we imagine the total of work put into the production of this beautiful plane.

But, yes there is a "but", I am still not convinced by the form of the upper engine cover just behind the spinner, please look at this pictures and look at the pictures in the game I find that there is something wrong there! Is It me?!

I think that is just caused by unfrotunate angles of the screenshots. The nose actually doesn't taper at the end but rather smoothly joins with the spinner. What you really see in the pictures giving the impression of a tapering nose are the extruded side wells of the cowling for the engine, which (althought not easily seen in screenshots) is definetly modeled ingame.

Some drawings to compare it:

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w447/T6flyer/32900-3-H GA Sectional Side Elevation Spitfire Mk 2.jpg

https://public.bn1.livefilestore.com/y4pzMFTTHCKU-Uy7QQ3rEoMfQQDnSEs7NkZAHnsSLgo60O3HAXwGDt_KghrjCRdKFvTi23bG9vd3P3GCtbwaTkyMRtoXAL8jAFHJaAFSwk2AdKfaDW9NSMDYzj8NLZaGPV5b_Yc7DBBcgJtCARATW-_hbmCIo6joqt3fBaerp4ZDlQKQ_dYcCCrmQPpX4u0gQbc/spitfire_side.jpg?rdrts=172830882

Also check this picture of the sppitfire with removed hood. It clearly shows there's no space for a tapering nose due to the armoured ring / cooler that is fitted just beneath the cowling.

spitfire-5b-2.jpg

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 3

I'm glad that I must be wrong on this given the multiple favourable comments, but to me the engine sound doesn't have the distinctive Merlin growl that I was hoping to hear. Your thoughts?

Im not completely sold either.

Not sure which models these planes are, but the sounds are very different:

https://youtu.be/Y5rGyP6SSYM

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Upvote 2

I don't think any of the planes in BoX completely captures the RL sound of a high powered piston engine, especially in the flypast. The Spit is fairly close but still lacks that brutal metallic base.