Gavrick

Developer Diary, Part 162 - Discussion

It looks great!! About its capabilities against German 190s it depends part on the plane obviously and part on the pilot, as in real life!!

I suspect it will be outclassed by the 190, as it was in real life when the Vb met it over France... it wasn't until the Mk IX came along that any kind of parity was reached.

I suspect it will be outclassed by the 190, as it was in real life when the Vb met it over France... it wasn't until the Mk IX came along that any kind of parity was reached.

The Fw 190 is just gonna be too damn fast to catch and rolls too well to effectively out-scissor. However, I could see it give a nasty shock to any 109 jockey who pushes his luck and bleeds too much energy. 

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 1

The Fw 190 is just gonna be too damn fast to catch and rolls too well to effectively out-scissor. However, I could see it give a nasty shock to any 109 jockey who pushes his luck and bleeds too much energy. 

Yes, some Vb's had their wings 'clipped' to increase the roll rate, (at an expense of speed) to help counter the 190 threat to give better performance in that regard at lower altitudes.

Looks awesome! It's a bit weird to that our first Spitfire will be obsolete in the campaign, but you can't rewrite history. I'm looking forward to seeing the Spit in action :)

Here's hoping that the Hs-129 gets released soon as well, I can't wait for a proper German tank-buster :biggrin:

Great DD, thanks Gavrick!
The notes about possible rapid high-g accelerations due to stick movement were interesting, did the Soviet Vbs have the counter weights fitted to the elevator controls, and if so are they modeled in game? Which leads me to another question, did they also have the pilot's oxygen tank fitted when operating with the VVS? I ask because as I understand it the RAF didn't feel the need to add the counter weights if the said aircraft didn't have the oxygen tank, flare dispenser and IFF gear fitted... so if that equipment wasn't fitted anyway I guess there'd be no need for the weights.
I'm just going to put this out there as my 2 cents worth, it sounds to me like the audio in the cockpit is great but externally it doesn't sound very Merliny...

Yes however the "bar" at the bottom of the armoured glass is extremely thick, suffers from the same lack of refraction issue the 190 has I think ?  :huh:  :(

I thought that as well at first but after looking at more photos like Trooper's I'm ok with it. Maybe that horizontal pipe that runs just above the bar (the windscreen de-icer iirc) may be a tad thick or maybe it's just me.

Damm! Spitfire is beautiful! They have raised the bar here!

Jk.

:biggrin:  Can´t wait to fly this beauty!

Nice work!

So a Spitfire walks into a bar...  :biggrin:  I know, I've just stolen someone else's joke (HerrMurf maybe?) but it's too good not to ;)

Edited by HBPencil

Spitfire won't have any difficulties out-scissoring Fw-190. It'll have about the same roll rate as Yak-1 which already doesn't have any difficulties out scissoring Fw-190s. Both Spit and Yak turn so much better than Fw-190 that even though focke rolls better, it wont save it in a scissor fight Whats more Spitfire will have the tightest turning circle in the sim. ~17 seconds sustained. 

Are you sure the Spit will roll that well? I was always under the impression, that early Spits had horrible roll rate.

Despite, the stall behavior of the Spit is going to be very different form the Yak. Scissoring might not be an easy task at all and require a steady hand.

Is it me, or is he doing a flat turn after takeoff, maybe to show new FM? It looks that he gives left stick while turning with the rudder, and the plane doesn't seem to roll right as much as now...

Edited by SYN_Ricky

A Spitfire walks into a bar, the only other client was a FW190....

A Spitfire walks into a bar, the only other client was a FW190....

A Yak-1b is there as well, but he's not allowed to complain, so he keeps his flaps shut.

• Upvote 7

And a P-40 was on the ground and couldn't get up.  The barman said he'd reached his limit.

• Upvote 1

A lagg walked in but the 109 and 190 decided to make furniture out of him!

• Upvote 1

A lagg walked in but the 109 and 190 decided to make furniture out of him!

Laquered furniture.

The Spit will be released after the Summer sale on July 6th approx. You'll get a newsletter about it guys.

Jason

• Upvote 10

The Spit will be released after the Summer sale on July 6th approx. You'll get a newsletter about it guy.

Jason

My heart just broke a little :sorry:

• Upvote 1

The Spit will be released after the Summer sale on July 6th approx. You'll get a newsletter about it guys.

Jason

How about we split the difference and release next Tuesday. Looks and sounds amazing BTW

How about we split the difference and release next Tuesday. Looks and sounds amazing BTW

I think more appropriately, would be to "Spit" the difference.

;) 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the update.

I'm looking forward to the Spit: so much attention to detail with this and all the other aircraft.

Very impressive.

So its late  :mellow:  I did say its taken a back seat the last 7 months lol  :dry:

Hopefully it is not the IX model. The engine is it going to cut when applying negative G?

Still I consider the Cobra much more dangerous opponent than the Spit for the Luftwaffe.
I am sure it will be very different to fly and will be a lot of fun.

The veterans from cliffs of dover and il2 46 will have an advantage, because they already know how to deal with it. Those who do not know will have a hard time.

Forum threads are a poor substituent for experience but better than nothing.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov

The spit looks nice, and i like that there are two options for the engine. And somewhat weird that this is the first plane that will not be able to carry bombs... 

Grt M

Most of the planes sent to the USSR had Merlin 46 engine, but roughly one-fifth of them was equipped with Merlin 45. They differed by critical altitudes - Merlin 46 was designed for higher altitudes like 4-5 kilometers, where it was more powerful, but it was  80-100 HP weaker than Merlin 45 near the ground. Our sim will represent both engines (Merlin 45 will be a modification).

Merlin 45 and Merlin 46, both confirmed. Well done guys, thank you. :good:

"Par Condicio" We need G2 1.42 ATA!

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro

Anecdotally I just read a book called "never split the difference" by chris voss about negotiating, highly recommended.

I'd say that we could all be alpha/beta testers this week and then they can officially release it on the 6th.

• Upvote 1

So the Spit will come with all the new flight model improvements?

Like the sound and cockpit.

They already said it wont.. that stuff will come in the patch after  :unsure:

I don't get it tbh, aircraft development was almost 2 months ahead when the H16 and A3 were released together, then the 1943 IL2 took ages considering they were ahead and now the spit is even more late  :(  :huh:  You guys decrease in team size or something?  :blink:

Edited by Bullets

They already said it wont.. that stuff will come in the patch after  :unsure:

I don't get it tbh, aircraft development was almost 2 months ahead when the H16 and A3 were released together, then the 1943 IL2 took ages considering they were ahead and now the spit is even more late  :(  :huh:  You guys decrease in team size or something?  :blink:

It's almost like a whole new aircraft is a significantly greater endeavour than what are effectively modifications of existing ones.

Achtung Spitsfeuer!!!

Hopefully it is not the IX model. The engine is it going to cut when applying negative G?

Still I consider the Cobra much more dangerous opponent than the Spit for the Luftwaffe.
I am sure it will be very different to fly and will be a lot of fun.

The veterans from cliffs of dover and il2 46 will have an advantage, because they already know how to deal with it. Those who do not know will have a hard time.

Forum threads are a poor substituent for experience but better than nothing.

The veterans know that you do not underestimate that particular aircraft. I can`t say for sure given that we don`t know how P39 / Spitfire fly in BoX, but if it gets to be similar to 1946, the latter will be a very important addition for VVS players, as it complements the Yak / La5 differences like no other.

It's almost like a whole new aircraft is a significantly greater endeavour than what are effectively modifications of existing ones.

I understand its increased workload buddy but the schedule was laid out. Please no one think I am angry or upset about this I'm just thinking aloud  :)  :salute:

Did you even read what Gavrick wrote in the DD?

• Upvote 4

Very interesting update, thank you. It sounds as if you've managed to include the most prominent particularities about the Spitfire handling. Looking forward to trying it out.

One thing I'm still wondering about - a well known feature of the Spitfire was the low aileron reversal speed, inhibiting high speed roll rate. It's something we don't have in game yet. Did you manage to model it for the Spitfire?

• Upvote 1