jcomm-il2

The Campaigns....

Blazing Steppe and the one in Pre-Order: Ten Days of Autumn, are two tittles I am considering buying, if not for other reasons simply to support 1C/777 and their hard work maintaining this platform.

I aven't actually even practically started the one that comes with the games, so, I really don't think I would play these as well, but I believe they are after all a bit different in the way they evolve. Are they dynamic Campaigns ? Are the overall tactic / strategic decisions and final outcome fully deterministic ?

Any comments, tales from your experience with "Blazing Steppe" are welcome :-) 

Blazing Steppe isn't out yet, but 10 Days of Autumn is simply amazing.

They're static campaigns, but TBH they're the best I've seen in a flight sim.

Oops!, Then Blazing Steppe will be my next acquisition - have to forget about my "do not play War Games" trauma, and start to get som fun out of this :-)

It's not a war game. It's a history related flight sim. ;)

Ten days of Autumn campaign was really good and I enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to Blazing Steppe as well. :)

I have played all on the static campaigns published to date and have thoroughly enjoyed them all.

• Upvote 2

I'm not an SP player but I bought 10 Days in autumn to support the team.  Additionally, when I fly on line I generally fly for the VVS.  Out of shear boredom I fired up 10 Days yesterday.  Went through the first 3 missions before I had to run an errand for the wife.  I plan on getting back to it today!  It's an excellent bit of work and I think everyone should give it a go.  Bought Blazing Steppes and now I'm looking forward to it.  

As soon as they fix the airfield performance I'll immediately purchase 10 Days. Otherwise I think I'll be too annoyed by my rig struggling near the BoM airfields in VR...

• Upvote 1

As soon as they fix the airfield performance I'll immediately purchase 10 Days. Otherwise I think I'll be too annoyed by my rig struggling near the BoM airfields in VR...

Pretty sure they stated that is coming in the next update, hoping that is the case.

• Upvote 1

I just started 10 days of autumn and it's the first campaign I've done in VR, truly and amazing experience. The ,missions are well done and the immersion is increadible. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts / experiences with these Campaigns.

If not for other reason, just a way to support 1C / 777 I'll give them a go!

There are pros and cons to both multiplayer and scripted/linear single player stuff. 

I enjoy multiplayer for a nice challenge with the human vs. human aspect. Sometimes the missions are put together very well. Sometimes I can't stand them. (borefest, no weather, always clear, airfields are too close to front line (no love for bombers), light wind, no turbulence ect like so many aspects of the game aren't being utilized in multiplayer missions!!!) (yes I know TAW and Random expert do some cool stuff, but it's hard to every get on when it's populated for me...)

I find single player stuff to be more immersive (when done well). You actually feel like you're in a war and not a solo sunday stroll like in multiplayer... by that I mean the AF's are loaded and busy, radio chatter, combat on the ground, varied weather and time, wind directions that aren't 090 or 270 like multiplayer mission silliness. The list goes on...

I'm currently working on a campaign for the Ju 87. Today I finished up a mission where 2 Staffel bomb the north factory district in Stalingrad... 24 stukas with sirens blazing...music to my ears! ......you don't ever get to see that in multiplayer.

• Upvote 2

Wow NETSCAPE, that looks as tempting as NETSCAPE did when I first used their Navigator :-)

Keep the good work.

I remember Netscape! :) Was definitely my first browser.

I actually just finished writing my review on Ten Days of Autumn a few days ago. I've been playing the campaign through slowly, soaking it up, and enjoying the experience. You can read the whole thing on my blog but the short version is that I enjoyed it immensely and the missions were absolutely top notch.

https://stormbirds.wordpress.com/2017/06/11/reviewing-ten-days-of-autumn/

• Upvote 2

I actually just finished writing my review on Ten Days of Autumn a few days ago. I've been playing the campaign through slowly, soaking it up, and enjoying the experience. You can read the whole thing on my blog but the short version is that I enjoyed it immensely and the missions were absolutely top notch.

Thank you very much for the review :) I hope that you'll also like my next work.

Please BlackSix include the possibility of unlocking the remove head rest on your next campaign, unluck are not that fun. Other then that thanks for the great work

o7

Edited by ATAG_dB

Please BlackSix include the possibility of unlocking the remove head rest on your next campaign, unluck are not that fun. Other then that thanks for the great work

Sorry, but I can't unlock only this possibility, I can unlock all modification at once. It will broke all ground attack and intercept missions.

Hi b6, is there a file that i can alter to remove the weapon restrictions in 10 days?

Hi b6, is there a file that i can alter to remove the weapon restrictions in 10 days?

Hi, there isn't such file, sorry. The campaign is protected from any changes.

Sorry, but I can't unlock only this possibility, I can unlock all modification at once. It will broke all ground attack and intercept missions.

Thanks for your reply Black, can all the modifications can be unlocked and a recommendation of what weapon configuration must be select to complete the mission be include in the mission briefing instead? If it not too much work obviously. I appreciate all the effort and the work put in those campaign and want to buy most of them. But having locked mods is a big turn off.

Edited by ATAG_dB
  • Upvote 1

+1

I agree, or just have the weapon tab disabled. Missions are historical so you fly what you get. Weapons tab availble vut unselectable doesnt add to immersion.

Of crse if it can be done at ease.

Thanks for your reply Black, can all the modifications can be unlocked and a recommendation of what weapon configuration must be select to complete the mission be include in the mission briefing instead? If it not too much work obviously. I appreciate all the effort and the work put in those campaign and want to buy most of them. But having locked mods is a big turn off.

I don't know what I've to write in such case...

"Please, don't use any modifications because I./JG 52 hadn't the bomb racks, senior officers negatively treated the removal of the armored head rest and I've no reliable information about replacing MG 151/15 in October, 1941."

• Upvote 5

I don't know what I've to write in such case...

"Please, don't use any modifications because I./JG 52 hadn't the bomb racks, senior officers negatively treated the removal of the armored head rest and I've no reliable information about replacing MG 151/15 in October, 1941."

Fair enough for me. It was developed based on historic data, so, mods wouldn't make sense any way.

Looking forward to start using it ! :good: 

I understand your point but having the headrest remove was a personal thing and like the removal of the mirror on the Spitfire. It was question of preference and having a wrench that all ;)

I understand your point but having the headrest remove was a personal thing and like the removal of the mirror on the Spitfire. It was question of preference and having a wrench that all ;)

Removing a mirror increases airspeed slightly.

Removing an armored plate behind the pilot's head decreases life expectancy significantly.

-snip-

senior officers negatively treated the removal of the armored head rest 

-snip-

This. It was hardly a "personal thing" (ie. you didn't have a choice...) unless you happened to be said senior officer... And even if you were said senior officer, it's unlikely you would remove the plate.

Galland in his memoirs mentions he was very unhappy when this plate was installed, the extra weight reducing performance. The next day he went up with this unwanted ballast, and he got hit by a Spitfire. Some projectiles were stopped by the armour plate. Needless to say, he changed is opinion about the plate that day.

But since Galland had to go up with the armour plate and was at that time one of the most famous and influential fighter pilots of the Luftwaffe, I'd say its installation wasn't just up to the whims of the pilot.

Fully agree with JtD's assessment from this thread: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/19004-complete-romoval-head-armor-109-e-7/?p=298404

Edited by Space_Ghost

Agreed absolutely. To be consequent, we then should also lock the convergence setting for the german fighters to 400m, as it was at that time, it wasn't a 'personal thing' either.

Agreed absolutely. To be consequent, we then should also lock the convergence setting for the german fighters to 400m, as it was at that time, it wasn't a 'personal thing' either.

Way ahead of you - I adhere to a 400m convergence rule only.

On the rare occasion that I have time to fly...

So, yesterday I bought and installed, and played the first mission of my first purchased Campaign for IL-2.

It's actually my first Campaign in any flight sim, since I rarely palyed combat flight simulators, and IL2 is just an exception due to the unique realism and feel of it's flight dynamics, scenery and overall graphics & display...

Enjoying it already, with that first mission across rainy overcast, and finding it as a very tempting alternative to the "rush" of online sessions :-)

Very Glad !

I remember Netscape! :) Was definitely my first browser.

Nice review, looks like I will be getting this after I have bought BOM in the next sale.

I only play single player and it sounds perfect for me. :salute:

I'm currently working on a campaign for the Ju 87. Today I finished up a mission where 2 Staffel bomb the north factory district in Stalingrad... 24 stukas with sirens blazing...music to my ears! ......you don't ever get to see that in multiplayer.

Do not say never ever, I saw 16 Stukas doing dive attack on WOL server but I admit that is very very rare to see but happened. Edited by 307_Tomcat

Shamrock,

I've just read your review, very fair and balanced. I'm midway through playing myself and agree totally, I think it's worth the price.

Cheers

Nice review, looks like I will be getting this after I have bought BOM in the next sale.

I only play single player and it sounds perfect for me. :salute:

Thanks! For folks who are primarily single player focused, this campaign and others like it are a breath of life into this series. I think you'll really enjoy the atmosphere of it. Also its a great way to experience the Moscow map - its a stunning map and this really shows off the autumn time period on that map.

Shamrock,

I've just read your review, very fair and balanced. I'm midway through playing myself and agree totally, I think it's worth the price.

Cheers

Thanks! I'm glad you agree on the price. I feel like $9.99 is just about right. Anything more and it'd feel overpriced but for that it's a very very good experience.

Long before I decided to re-start my campaign building career (in fact for years I was dead-set on not messing with editor in BoS) I maintained that with regard to offline play, there's nothing that comes close to a good hand-crafted campaign.

That will always hold true. No mission generator will ever quite equal this experience. (although I'm expecting good things from the new career)

Both have their place.

Given the amount of work that it takes to construct even a single, well choreographed and balanced mission, let alone 15 or 20, it will be some time before we have a sizeable catalogue of campaigns to download, but we'll get there.

I'll be purchasing BlackSix's campaigns, although my own mission building activities might prevent me from flying them for quite some time. :)

• Upvote 2

Gambit, can you make a sp campaign flying either 109 g2 or f4?

Gambit, can you make a sp campaign flying either 109 g2 or f4?

I'm a long ways from determining that yet...but possible considering the map we'll have.

First, I'm adding a few Ju-52 missions while waiting for the Kuban map...it seems there's a commando insertion/extraction happening and Anders needs to step up...   :)

Then I'll be putting my head down and working on the Kuban A-20 campaign. Since there is so much ground to cover (literally, and time-frame wise) this might easily

be a 2 part campaign. The Kuban air battle was 3 months, but the Battle for the Caucasus lasted for over a year, and our map covers much of this area.

The Kuban air battles were just part of this campaign.

After I finish the first 15-20 missions I'll have to re-evaluate and see where I'm at. I may want to explore the Battle of the Kerch peninsula (41-42) and that would put us in 109E and I16 territory.

I do favor mud-moving when campaign builds are concerned...but I'll have to wait and see. I want the product to be diversified, so I have to see what other campaigns are being created

by others as well. Yet also consider demand. I think the later 109's will get plenty of attention, and I do favor the Emil. 

I have to balance my day job, wife, family, other hobbies etc so I'm not sure how much I can squeeze in before Midway arrives.

We're talking 10-15 hours per mission not including testing.

Edit: Then there's the HS-129...the P-39...

No, not ruling out the late model 109 either, but so many options at this point it won't be easy to pick.

Edited by Gambit21

Nice. Your campaign of ju52 was great and wanted to see if you can permeate such talents into fighter centered theme.

Look forward to seeing more.

Nice. Your campaign of ju52 was great and wanted to see if you can permeate such talents into fighter centered theme.

Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks

I've done many fighter missions in the old sim, most of which I turned into CoOps.

I'll be up to my eyeballs on in fighter campaigns should Midway come to pass as well.

I was also thinking of including a few supplementary fighter missions with the A-20 campaign as well - for both sides. (since these flights will exist in the campaign) - This means a few 109 missions. :)

A Pitomnik Air-Bridge scenario would be really cool...JU52s and HE111s under fighter cover tasked with getting troops airlifted out of the cauldron seems like a blast in simulation terms.

• Upvote 1