Sign in to follow this  
Daisy_Blossom

Bass Transducer lags behind audio

I fly with VR and use a simple headphone splitter cable at my headset to split the audio between my headphones and the transducer amp which has a low pass filter. The issue is, when I fire my guns I hear the sounds a perceptible amount of time before the seat starts shaking.

My entire simpit is bolted together aluminum tube and very over-built. The two aurasound transducers are mounted to a plate right below the seat. The 100W amp is more than enough to drive it everything, and I'm a little at a loss as to what's going on.

Does anyone have experience with this issue/setup?

Thanks in advance!

Are you driving the transducers with the same card that's running your headphones/speakers? Different cars will have differing latencies. Also if you are on the same card check your surround effects the DSP's could be adding latency to the bass. I've never had transducers just sharing what I know about sound systems. Sometimes even on the same card the differing outputs will be run by a different DSP they may not be identical and on many higher end cars are swappable. If yours aren't you could just split off the headphone speaker output to the transducer amp to make sure the signal is identical by using a cable solution.

Edited by driftaholic

If yours aren't you could just split off the headphone speaker output to the transducer amp to make sure the signal is identical by using a cable solution.

That was my original setup. It's a pain in the butt to add more wires to the back of the VR headset and it still seemed to lag. I tried mirroring the output in steamVR to my external soundcard (soundblaster xfi 5.1) spdif-out and then using an RCA Y-splitter into the amp but this wasn't any better.

Appreciate your response; was hoping someone had a similar VR setup and had gotten it to work well.

Mine too.

I always thought that the transducer just took a bit longer to "fire up".

I wrote it off as unavoidable.

Mine too.

I always thought that the transducer just took a bit longer to "fire up".

I wrote it off as unavoidable.

I mean, even the amp's low pass filter brings latency with it, and shaking a simpit takes a non-zero amount of time, too. I am willing to live with it if it's unavoidable.

If you don't mind, Jade, could you give the details of how you're routing audio to your amp? Using any software? I appreciate it!

Edit: Just realized you're the one that made the awesome Butcher 190 campaign that I very much enjoyed. Thank you for your hard work!

Edited by Daisy_Blossom