yaglourt

Identification/recognition aircrafts of BoS/BoM/BoK

Many thanks, thats a good source of information

• Upvote 1

One question about ID : can someone confirm that the russian and german machine guns' tracers have the same color in BoX ? (or maybe I am daltonian)

Edited by yaglourt

Nice collection of information here.   One thing puzzles me - why would there be bottom views but no top views?  I guess maybe these were designed more for use by ground troops/gunners/spotters than for pilots - seems like fighter pilots at least would be better off with top views (assuming they would be likely to be attacking from above) than with bottom views.

Indeed it's from a book made for the russian AAA, so no top views unfortunately. It would be nice to find the same kind of book for pilots.

One question about ID : can someone confirm that the russian and german machine guns' tracers have the same color in BoX ? (or maybe I am daltonian)

Nope, Germans are more yellow/white while Russians are kinda orange. I don't think there are any exceptions to this.

Nope, Germans are more yellow/white while Russians are kinda orange. I don't think there are any exceptions to this.

Thank you ! That's weird because from what I read, the russian 7,62 mm tracers were green IRL ? (I-16, some versions of the Il-2, early LaGG-3, MiG-3, Yak-1...)

And the german 7,7 mm tracers were light orange ?

Edited by yaglourt

This is awesome!

Somebody should pin this.

Edited by Warpig

Nice the only drawback is we don't have the quality of render to really have that details...my game at Max settings can't even render to that detail to use your images

Nice the only drawback is we don't have the quality of render to really have that details...my game at Max settings can't even render to that detail to use your images

Yeah, can't distinguish until they're very close. I know I'm looking out for 'fat' wing roots for VVS planes, sounds so easy, however in practice find it's really tough.

• Upvote 1

Thank you ! That's weird because from what I read, the russian 7,62 mm tracers were green IRL ? (I-16, some versions of the Il-2, early LaGG-3, MiG-3, Yak-1...)

And the german 7,7 mm tracers were light orange ?

Yes but ignore that.  In BoX Red/Orange is VVS and Yellow is LW.  Same applies to AA etc.   Depending on distance though sometimes the colours are quite subtle and may just look white until you get closer.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

exactly, how can u guys even see anything, anyways. Let alone have good SA, to know whats happening at a distance?!

Zoom helps a lot. Even so ID can be difficult sometimes but you usually have some situational factors to help you, like location, altitude and direction of flight. In a dogfight you can sometimes tell by movement and attack patterns, and finally by tracers. If in doubt set up as if for attack but don't shoot until 100% positive even if this means being right up their tail.

Main thing that causes me ID grief is that P-40. Looks like a 109 from most angles and ranges unless you can clearly see the chin radiator.

EDIT: and fly with other people, the more eyes the better!

Edited by VC_

Yaglourt- Excellent- I was looking for this reference material for my identification tutorials:

How to find the enemy and shoot him down, and

Good kill, but...

This info is key to reducing friendly fire incidents.

• Like 1