Jason_Williams

Developer Diary, Part 159 - Discussion

Thanks Jason. The current il2 series has opened my eyes to a lot. I have always been a history fan but my interest has now expanded to soviet weapons and history. The sim is so much more than just the sim. Regsrding the pacific i had cfs2 but was never really a fan. But now I am already reading and cant wait for wildcat versus zeros etc... i missed 1946 but my son has flown it to death in the pacific area. Japanese i will never be able to read and my book collection is limited on that. What i have i can send but i would be surprised if you dont have it yet. My real input could be a financial contribution to fund research and development.I would propose that the devs open a paypal account and that we as community then take the process from their ourselves to drive a process to make a viluntary contribution as each individual can or cannot do. You just open the account and give the details of that no more. We know that you guys deliver. On another sim a guy did a dlc map that ended up not being payware. The dev gave him permission to contact the community and ask for contributions. The cimmunity responded. We can also do that here. No handouts just an investment we can see thst things are HAPPENING on il2. From us to us.

Hi Luger,

good point and it's quite the same idea I suggested yesterday. Here I quote myself:

[I don't know, if my idea is a good one, but here are my suggestions:

- why not offering "bonds", let's say f.ex. for the value of 20, 50, 100$. This would help you with your budget

and would be independent of any pre-order / pre-sales. The owner of these bonds can later have some

discount for the final product.

That's just some idea I have in mind and I would gladly acquire some bonds "à fond perdu" as we say in french.]

So you opt for a Paypal account and I think of "Bonds". Hope someone from the team will think about it. Let's see.

Cheers

My son is currently studying engineering in an exchange program in Tokyo.

He is there right now and he speaks rudimentary Japanese but is taking a lot of Japanese classes to become fluent. He has many friends who are Japanese and teach Japanese, so I will ask him if any of them are willing to participate in translating for this project.

Since my son is in Tokyo right now, he may find several people who are interested.

• Upvote 1

We have had a big discussion with mates and we have a common opinion.

I am sorry to say but for our squad the Pacific front is a nightmare because we don't like these planes and this war at all.

We thought we could fly the best soviet fighters as Yak-9T, La-5FN, Yak-3, La-7 soon. But now this dream is deadly far away.

All Skv (Il-2 Sturmovik true fans and supporters) are extrimelly disappoint!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: 

• Upvote 1

I am sorry to say but for our squad the Pacific front is a nightmare because we don't like these planes and this war at all.

We thought we could fly the best soviet fighters as Yak-9T, La-5FN, Yak-3, La-7 soon. But now this dream is deadly far away.

All Skv (Il-2 Sturmovik true fans and supporters) are extrimelly disappoint!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: 

Umm ok. Not everybody can be happy. But pressuring really isn't a good option. Actually it's likely the worst. Chill please.

• Upvote 1

All Skv (Il-2 Sturmovik true fans and supporters) are extrimelly disappoint! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

All of the world is not just Russians and Germans. You guys have three games in a row. Let some other people have theirs for a while.

• Upvote 6

Serafim, pretty pathetic comment.

I am not a biggest fan of Pacific theatre. But I can't see any possible harm in bringing new front and nationalities to the game. More options is better imo. And it's refreshing for everyone to try new planes, I'm sure Zero and all other legendary planes will be interesting in this FM.

• Upvote 4

All Skv (Il-2 Sturmovik true fans and supporters) are extrimelly disappoint! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Quite pessimistic. :(

We already get to fly some of the most iconic and famous aircraft of the war, on red and blue side. We fly the machines that took to the sky when the war in the east was on the knife edge. What we have is amazing and beautiful.

I'm not a huge pacific guy; but now we get to add some of the most storied craft from the pacific theatre. We'll get to fly aircraft of the (arguably) best naval air arm of the early war. Zeroes, kankos, kanbakos, and the avengers, wildcats, and dauntless who took them down.

This is no loss. It is a huge win!

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr
  • Upvote 1

What about the hangar in the title screen? Will the Pacific planes be shown in the same hangar or inside a carrier?

What about the hangar in the title screen? Will the Pacific planes be shown in the same hangar or inside a carrier?

I'm guessing there will be some sort of change.

Jason also suggested in one of the Q&A sessions that he'd like to see some sort of gallery area where the aircraft could be parked in different places which may translate into an idea for how the hangar is displayed.

I'm guessing there will be some sort of change.

Jason also suggested in one of the Q&A sessions that he'd like to see some sort of gallery area where the aircraft could be parked in different places which may translate into an idea for how the hangar is displayed.

Yeah I think a selectable display area would be cool. In the default hangar or carrier hangar deck. Or float planes in the water. Or parked under a net on an airfield.

Hi Luger,

good point and it's quite the same idea I suggested yesterday. Here I quote myself:

[I don't know, if my idea is a good one, but here are my suggestions:

- why not offering "bonds", let's say f.ex. for the value of 20, 50, 100$. This would help you with your budget

and would be independent of any pre-order / pre-sales. The owner of these bonds can later have some

discount for the final product.

That's just some idea I have in mind and I would gladly acquire some bonds "à fond perdu" as we say in french.]

So you opt for a Paypal account and I think of "Bonds". Hope someone from the team will think about it. Let's see.

Cheers

If you are seeking to make donations you should buy the products/modules/AC/campaigns and do give-a-ways as several of us do. This gives product to those in need, money to the pockets of the Devs, and just as importantly shows the actual investors that they are moving units in the store.

The "bond" idea is generally a kickstarter type program and the team is diametrically opposed to that business model.

Plus, gifting copies to people holds the potential of that person really enjoying it and making future purchases, as happened with me.

One member's $50 investment actually grew into $200 worth of sales in my case.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jason. The current il2 series has opened my eyes to a lot. I have always been a history fan but my interest has now expanded to soviet weapons and history. The sim is so much more than just the sim. Regsrding the pacific i had cfs2 but was never really a fan. But now I am already reading and cant wait for wildcat versus zeros etc... i missed 1946 but my son has flown it to death in the pacific area. Japanese i will never be able to read and my book collection is limited on that. What i have i can send but i would be surprised if you dont have it yet. My real input could be a financial contribution to fund research and development.I would propose that the devs open a paypal account and that we as community then take the process from their ourselves to drive a process to make a viluntary contribution as each individual can or cannot do. You just open the account and give the details of that no more. We know that you guys deliver. On another sim a guy did a dlc map that ended up not being payware. The dev gave him permission to contact the community and ask for contributions. The cimmunity responded. We can also do that here. No handouts just an investment we can see thst things are HAPPENING on il2. From us to us.

Hi guys. Jason said he will get back so lets see.

Therion missed yours sorry.

Agreed support through buying all and or gifting.

This proposal will be a 100% community initiative. Give us another option. The only things the team would have to do is:

-give us an official account to pay into perhaps through our website accounts.

-allow a pinned locked post to tell the community.

-mention it in a dev diary so everyobe knows.

Whether they the team use the funds for upgrades to bos..bom...bok..or pacific or the rudder doesnt matter. We see results every week. I bought bos in 2014. There has been so many changes i did not expect that and so many to come even on existing sales.

Give us another choice no expectation from our side. If i can give 1$ this month or 10$ next month or i cant afford it or want to gift planes etc let me decide. No expectations this is just a contribution.

My humble input. Thanks to the devs and community i have found a product snd place where i like to spend time.

From us to us.

Edited by Luger1969

In this point opinions differ! Others are sick to have 3 years only Axis vs VVS, like me! I not say I or others be disappointed like you to see another year Axis vs VVS. However there are much better more interesting theatre out there than only Axis vs VVS. Finally the time has come to move away from the "All's Quiet on the Eastern Front".  :big_boss: 

I avoided MP because it is not possible to destroy the enemy airfield with bombs to avoid players to start or to land again on that airfield for a while because bomb holes are just simple texture without collision detection. Nightmare is to see planes land and start across bomb holes! On a pacifc theatre I can sink the carrier together with all planes and players. Makes MP more interesting for me........

Hi guys. Jason said he will get back so lets see.

Therion missed yours sorry.

Agreed support through buying all and or gifting.

This proposal will be a 100% community initiative. Give us another option. The only things the team would have to do is:

-give us an official account to pay into perhaps through our website accounts.

-allow a pinned locked post to tell the community.

-mention it in a dev diary so everyobe knows.

Whether they the team use the funds for upgrades to bos..bom...bok..or pacific or the rudder doesnt matter. We see results every week. I bought bos in 2014. There has been so many changes i did not expect that and so many to come even on existing sales.

Give us another choice no expectation from our side. If i can give 1$ this month or 10$ next month or i cant afford it or want to gift planes etc let me decide. No expectations this is just a contribution.

My humble input. Thanks to the devs and community i have found a product snd place where i like to spend time.

From us to us.

Did not BoS cost $99 or $59 before. Now all theatre cost $79 or $49. There you have your $20 or $10 what nobody seems to need it anymore! What is more improtant the $20 or $10 or more sales?. BTW all theatre are already pre-funded ( based on: "Reliability,Optimization,Speed").

A pacific theatre increase the ratio to reach more customer. More customer = more sales! Gifting is whole another story another way to bring new customer to this game..................

Edited by Livai

Hi all,

again, the idea of Luger1969 and/or my proposal has nothing to do with the pre-sales/pre-orders nor does it exclude making gifts to someone who might deserve it.

I'm very positive about doing gifts - I actually did it once not long ago. And I bought already everything the devs published. That's all fine.

My proposal aims to help the dev team to make further research and preliminary work for the pacific theatre without the need of spending the revenues of the sales

of the current products in line - you all still want some optimisation, adjustments and updates of the current BOX series, right? So the actual sales should cover some

of the expenses.

And don't forget those people who want to wait until pacific theatre is released. They don't necessary feel the need of buying the actual product by lack of interest to

Eastern / European front. Those hesitant customers, "waiters" do not contribute much in actual sales.

That's why we have a similar attempt to support the dev team financially at free will and without great expectation so to speak - of course we all hope pacific theatre

will happen in the near future. But, for what I'm concerned, I would buy some bonds "a fond perdu".

And btw have you ever thought how much young generations are willing to pay for console game? Those games often cost around 100$ and the pleasure often

lasts not more than one month?

Think about it. Have a nice evening and ...

Cheers to all of you pilots

Also ITAF desire other..like Med...but imo pacific will be another interesting theatre to fly so the Devs need our help in all the way we can, like provide data and informations soon, because they are doing a great job..

post-9637-0-49300400-1495996938_thumb.gif

Edited by ITAF_Rani

Dear Development group,

I live near Pensacola Naval Air-Station. This base is the home of the United States Naval Aviation Museum. There they have all of the American WWII Naval aircraft. They also have a couple of Japanese planes, including the "George N1K2 Shiden-Kai". I think that this is the only plane of its kind left. Although it was not at Midway, I believe that it was at Okinawa. They also have a couple of zeros.

This facility has a restoration group. I am sure that they would have a lot of documentation on the different types of aircraft that you are looking for.

If you would like, tell me about which aircraft and documentation that you need, I could make some inquiries and hopefully provide you with what you are looking for. I may also be able to take detailed photos of the various cockpits....

Let me know.

Thank you

Dufalator

• Upvote 4

Serafim, pretty pathetic comment

A thousand times this.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 1

I think the PTO offers as much interesting history as any other area in WWII. As many have mentioned, they learned a lot about the war in the East because of IL2. Would it be any different for others to learn about the vast war in the Pacific?

Edited by Rjel
  • Upvote 2

The draw here is to World War II aviation. Any theatre, any time within that larger conflict, any aircraft... I'm interested! They are all fascinating and wonderful to learn about. The East, the West, the Pacific and Mediterranean.

Looking forward to Wildcats versus Zeros and flying a D3A or SBD into battle.

• Upvote 5

The draw here is to World War II aviation. Any theatre, any time within that larger conflict, any aircraft... I'm interested! They are all fascinating and wonderful to learn about. The East, the West, the Pacific and Mediterranean.

Looking forward to Wildcats versus Zeros and flying a D3A or SBD into battle.

+1

I think the PTO offers as much interesting history as any other area in WWII. As many have mentioned, they learned a lot about the war in the East because of IL2. Would it be any different for others to learn about the vast war in the Pacific?

That is irrelevant, if PTO can`t be done having the quality/content BoS/BoM has. We need to be rational here.

That is irrelevant, if PTO can`t be done having the quality/content BoS/BoM has. We need to be rational here.

And what rational grounds are there for suggesting that the PTO can't be made to the same quality?

The one thing I remember with the Pacific theatre and IL2 the original game was that they never could get the rights to simulates the Hellcats and other Grumman’s planes because of payments of copyrights?! Strange but true! it was a story on one of the time forum I hope the actual development team does not have the same problems?!

:salute:  

The one thing I remember with the Pacific theatre and IL2 the original game was that they never could get the rights to simulates the Hellcats and other Grumman’s planes because of payments of copyrights?! Strange but true! it was a story on one of the time forum I hope the actual development team does not have the same problems?!

If I remember it right, Jason said that there will be no problem with this

It's a dead issue. Let it go already.

It's a dead issue. Let it go already.

It's dead. Done. Finished. Over and done with. Finished. Over.

Marjorie...

Damn!

I find your post irrational.

Don't make me lock this. Knock it off.

Jason

C'mon, Jason. Your post was about a very controversial decision that will affect this community deeply. A lot of us have zero interest in the Pacific theatre and your proposed direction means we have nothing to look forward to out of this sim for 5+ years. You're actively driving people away from your product.

Furthermore, this is the discussion thread for that post.

Honest ask: what should we talk about? If positive feedback only is allowed, then that needs to be made clear in the forum rules.

C'mon, Jason. Your post was about a very controversial decision that will affect this community deeply. A lot of us have zero interest in the Pacific theatre and your proposed direction means we have nothing to look forward to out of this sim for 5+ years. You're actively driving people away from your product.

Furthermore, this is the discussion thread for that post.

Honest ask: what should we talk about? If positive feedback only is allowed, then that needs to be made clear in the forum rules.

So... See you in five years then?

You'll really be stoked on the battle of Kuban (obscuristan), but have "zero" (hehe) interest in the war in the Pacific?

An entirely new set of aircraft has no appeal to you at all?

So... See you in five years then?

Well I'll probably be around still flying Kuban or whatever.

I've never understood this tribal attitude of "agree with us or get out" you're displaying.

What are discussion forums for if not discussion?

You'll really be stoked on the battle of Kuban (obscuristan), but have "zero" (hehe) interest in the war in the Pacific?

An entirely new set of aircraft has no appeal to you at all?

An entirely new set of aircraft has appeal to me.

An entirely new set of Pacific aircraft has none whatsoever.

Who cares if it's obscure or not?

Edited by JG13_opcode

Well, I understand your personal preference but I hope you can understand that a lot of people are excited for a whole new theater and plane set instead of marginal improvements (Let's say Bf109 G6) and same sides (VVS vs Luftwaffe). If you don't get that, then there is not that much more to talk about here.

I have a feeling that the net amount of players will increase with a change of theaters, while saying in the same front will discourage a lot more players who feel that this is more of the same with minor improvements. 

'Tribal attitude'? That's rich coming from someone who has just accused the developers of 'actively driving people away' because they wish to expand the sim to other theatres. It is obvious that the developers can't please everybody, but to suggest that they are acting out of malice is ridiculous.

If you don't like PTO content, don't buy it. That is your prerogative as a consumer. The developers' prerogative is to create whatever products they feel will suit their commercial interests.

• Upvote 2

Well, I understand your personal preference but I hope you can understand that a lot of people are excited for a whole new theater and plane set instead of marginal improvements (Let's say Bf109 G6) and same sides (VVS vs Luftwaffe). If you don't get that, then there is not that much more to talk about here.

I have a feeling that the net amount of players will increase with a change of theaters, while saying in the same front will discourage a lot more players who feel that this is more of the same with minor improvements.

I agree and have been saying for a while now that they should move to the European theatre. There are plenty of scenarios that wouldn't need 4 engine heavies.

What's more, it brings variety to the Allied side.

'Tribal attitude'? That's rich coming from someone who has just accused the developers of 'actively driving people away' because they wish to expand the sim to other theatres. It is obvious that the developers can't please everybody, but to suggest that they are acting out of malice is ridiculous.

If you don't like PTO content, don't buy it. That is your prerogative as a consumer. The developers' prerogative is to create whatever products they feel will suit their commercial interests.

Please quote where I suggested they were acting out of malice, then take your outrage and come back when you are capable of discussion in a calm manner. Edited by JG13_opcode

I have already quoted the relevant phrase. Perhaps you need to take a little more time composing your posts if that wasn't what you meant. Because it certainly came across that way. And there is no 'outrage' here. Just bemusement...

I have already quoted the relevant phrase. Perhaps you need to take a little more time composing your posts if that wasn't what you meant. Because it certainly came across that way. And there is no 'outrage' here. Just bemusement...

I'm glad we agree that you did not interpret my post correctly.

Perhaps rather than engaging in vacuous point-scoring you could actually stay on topic, and tell us why you think the developers shouldn't be entitled to make their own commercial decisions? Because 'me and my squad don't like it' isn't much of an argument. Not without evidence that a significant number of other potential customers share your opinion.