Fw190 windscreen bar

Bloody Brilliant !

At least someone  got research to back himself up.... 

Is this true? 

Screen shot maybe ? 

Fact is its just as much issue as normal monitorgaming. At best its subjectively not as annoying. Nothing more. The geometry of the bar is the same. No matter if in VR or not.

If mirrors tech was not enough efficient to implement back then as Han explained and after two years after of game engine upgrades we have them, maybe refraction without severe performance hit is now in range to?

As much as I would like it. Until computers with 10x computing power arrive  (and that would be a very different technology) a simulation of such an effect is very unlikely to be implemented. So there have to be Compromises in the 3D model and IIRC the devs have lowered the bar already. To put the complete cockpit upwards or to model the cowling more downwards seem like a rather silly idea.

Edited by 216th_Jordan

I think that would depend on how it was done: For example, on the Spitfire you could simply make the armoured glass and inside fairing not as thick to simulate the refraction effect. Can't see why that would look weird either using a TrackIR or VR?

On the 190, move the lower part of the outer fairing down to cowling level, on the sides, move the rearward edges forward making the side framing a bit thinner. Of course not saying its a slam dunk case: You would have to try it out and see how it looks from both inside and outside.

That could be done I guess, but as it is the interior view in VR looks about what I'd expect in the real aircraft. If you change any part of the 3D model and it won't unless it is something that you could not see anyway.

Whatever could be done would make it incorrect for one part of the community.

Von Tom

Bloody Brilliant !

At least someone got research to back himself up....

Is this true?

Screen shot maybe ?

Screen shots taken whilst in VR do not show anything but a 2D image ie what you'd see on a monitor. You really have to try a VR headset to see how it is.

Von Tom

I always wondered, appart from refraction, why the amored class has to have 90° angles at the bottom.. instead of cutting it an angle or mounting it in a recess...  If there was a bar blocking the view, that´s what an engineer would have done ;=)

Hey, i have a slightly offtopic question.

I read a long time ago about the offset Revi and why it is how it is, the reason was that we humans have 2 eyes but only one eye is needed for the guncross to be interpolated through the brain which combines both images to one and that a german pilot dont need to lean right, the same as with the monocle in the Apache Attack Helicopter, is this right or wrong, im really not sure?

I allways thought how awful it feels to lean right in Cliffs of Dover, so i really think it is used just with the right eye but with both eyes open like you uses a Red Dot sight on a Assault Rifle.

How is it in VR then, can you use the revi this way?

In VR, the revi functions in the same way as a holographic sight on a military rifle.

You keep both eyes open and the guncross is interpolated in the brain.

As for someone else's question, eye dominance is an issue in VR, but more so for iron sights. I'm cross dominant and in VR FPS I have learnt to use my dominant left eye and changed to my non dominant left hand.

For the revi, being left eye dominant is not a problem for me due to the way the sight functions even though it is positioned on the right. I use my non dominant right eye for firing when flying the 109.

Edited by Tripwire
  • Upvote 1

In VR, the revi functions in the same way as a holographic sight on a military rifle.

You keep both eyes open and the guncross is interpolated in the brain.

As for someone else's question, eye dominance is an issue in VR, but more so for iron sights. I'm cross dominant and in VR FPS I have learnt to use my dominant left eye and changed to my non dominant left hand.

For the revi, being left eye dominant is not a problem for me due to the way the sight functions even though it is positioned on the right. I use my non dominant right eye for firing when flying the 109.

Wow that sounds awesome, now im really curios to see it myself hehe but i have to wait till better resolution VR displays arrive.

Never testet VR yet and i keep myself away from it because i think i would never go back to a Screen if i do so, thx for explaining. ;)

I immediately ordered an Oculus Rift yesterday, after testing it. The experience is hard to put into words.

Now, the idea of the self re-assuring 5 people repeating each other here to thin out the bars will fall on deaf ears and is inherently wrong, because: In your reasoning you disregard a growing group of fellow simulator fans, which disqualifies that push - even if you'd be a hundred, it is still wrong. It also does not fit into the developers' strategy of improving the IL-2 series' graphics.

Hence, the only goal you / we should concentrate on is to push for a proper refraction shader in unison.
Includes everyone, and fits into the developers' work for VR inclusion as well as graphical prowess and graphical improvement to the IL-2 series.

Yes, it will benefit to all consecutive titles as well.

Hence, we must push for refraction shaders only, in unison. 

That is the simple truth. 

Edited by 1CAG_Fenris_Wolf

I immediately ordered an Oculus Rift yesterday, after testing it. The experience is hard to put into words.

I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts on the bar once you've played with the Rift for a while. Just to see if they match mine.

von Tom

Well, what a response. :salute:

I think it's safe to say that, as no one else has come forward, I must be one of the few people on this forum who has sat in a Fw190 which kinda qualifies me to say what the forward view is actually like. The view to the front that we have in the game is incorrect, whether that's down to refraction or anything else. I was surprised how good the view was, even though being on the ground, bearing in mind that when the Fw190 is properly trimmed flies nose down it would be a whole lot better.

The developers are doing stunning work on this sim with regular updates and improvements, and while it really isn't a huge issue makes it curious that that they don't appear to want to get it looking right.

I may be wrong but it seems to me there has been an assumption on the construction of the screen which is wrong. When flying the BoS Fw190, if I sit up (with TIR) and look at the bottom of the screen and out to the nose it looks as if the cockpit coaming is level with the top of the fuselage, whereas there is actually a step, about the thickness of the screen, looking as if the screen is recessed so the front bottom outer edge of the screen is just about flush with the fuselage and the bottom inner edge level with the coaming. The developers appear to have the screen perched on top of the fuselage. Added to that the I don't believe the Fw engineers would have made such a mistake anyway, it would be nice to see it corrected. That all said it's unlikely to improve my kill rate.

Now, anyone want to talk about the audio?  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts on the bar once you've played with the Rift for a while. Just to see if they match mine.

von Tom

My thoughts on the Rift's effect on this issue:

All things being equal, (ie. same head height) there is no effect on your field of view that is not obscured by the 'bar'. However, as your eyes are either focusing on the bar, or an object you are shooting at, your depth perception increases your awareness of where that object is spatially. (difference between looking and seeing, I suppose). This, together with the fact that you can move your head up easily, I believe mitigates the issue a great deal.

All said, I think the P40 in this game, as well as the Spit mk nine in DCS, are effected by a similar degree by the inability to model refraction and the issue is something that would be a thing that would be a 'nice to be fixed eventually' thing, but should be low on the developers list of priorities.

Exactly this..

When flying the BoS Fw190, if I sit up (with TIR) and look at the bottom of the screen and out to the nose it looks as if the cockpit coaming is level with the top of the fuselage, whereas there is actually a step, about the thickness of the screen, looking as if the screen is recessed so the front bottom outer edge of the screen is just about flush with the fuselage and the bottom inner edge level with the coaming. The developers appear to have the screen perched on top of the fuselage.

It was a lot here about view in FW.

1CGS did improve 2 years ago I think and now its ok with this. Thx the Team!

Edited by YoYo