Solved

Disable Advanced Supersample Filtering in Steam VR

I recently have had issues with seeing "double" for aircraft and buildings at distances.

I don't recall having this issue when VR first came out.  does anyone know what might be causing this?

Using the HTC Vive, but I'm sure if you are having the same problems in the Rift, the solution might be the same.

I've tried resetting graphics settings, but I haven't had any luck.  The "double vision" only happens with distant contacts/objects

Edited by NakedSquirrel

Sounds like maybe you need to adjust the IPD in your Vive? Not sure how it is done in the Vive, in the Rift there is a slider bar at the bottom right of the headset for adjusting...

You will get double vision if you don't set the IPD to the correct settings, for your own eyes.

The Vive had a little turn knob on the lower right hand side of the goggles.

This is how you can calculate your own IPD

http://doc-ok.org/?p=898

I popped into my opticians who had a record of my IPD from the last pair of glasses I bought.

Even with the correct IPD I still get two images of the gun sight though. I can see a full circle with either eye when I close the other. However when using both eyes the two circles only partially overlap. I'm not sure if this can be adjusted.

Edited by SYN_Skydance

What plane are you referring to? You are only supposed to use one eye through the sight. Move your head so one eye is aligned for the gunsight and the other just looks straight out of the cockpit.

Take up a 109. Sit centred (ignore the fact the game incorrectly positions you directly behind the sight) and use just your right eye for aiming and you will understand.

Some things as (I *think*) Jason said are doubled, but come into focus if you focus on them.... ok, that's not an exact quote, but that was the gyst of it.  The gun sight has the issues Tripwire spoke about above.  If you use aiming aids, or terrain markers (or the server does) those double when not focused.  IPD may need attention as others have said.  You don't notice it as much when flying in expert or on a server with similar settings, but there is less going on in the screen too, and the depth isn't the same as it is for those markers.

When in doubt pick the one in the middle.  ;)

Not tried the sights in the 109. I have only noticed it the Yak in QM. I've only flown the PE-2 on "Random Expert" server and I can't recall whether I had any issues there.

The iron sight works in the Yak. It's the illuminated reticle that gives me two separate, partially, overlapping circles. I'll try some different planes and let you know.

I don't get the same issue in the DCS Spitfire. It does take a little focusing but I do get the circles to overlap.

I noticed the same thing last night. It seems to happen to me when aircraft fly by/away from me fast at certain angles. It is almost impossible to identify the aircraft type :/ 

I noticed the same thing last night. It seems to happen to me when aircraft fly by/away from me fast at certain angles. It is almost impossible to identify the aircraft type :/ 

I believe you are describing ASW kicking in. It is indeed like the enemy plane is doubled when it is moving other directions than you (meaning it is moving fast across the 'screen')

ASW also has a side effect of messing up the reticle a bit. 

It doesn't matter which aircraft I am flying.  It only seems to happen when aircraft are beyond shooting range (300+ meters).  I can look at a plane parked next to me on airfield and it looks crystal clear, 

The gun sights work and look fine.  The gun sight glass is not large enough that you'll see the entire thing with both eyes, so you will (in a way) see double, but that isn't the game, that's an illusion due to your limited perspective.  (I prefer keeping both eyes open when aiming through gun sights, it makes it easier to see where the tracers are falling.  Just make sure your non-aiming eye can't see the crosshair).

It isn't IPD, I've tried moving the IPD range to both extremes and the distant contacts still do not merge into one.  It is only something that seems to affect very distant LODs.  Rivers and roads do not seem to turn to double, and other games don't have double.  The main issue I notice with your IPD being off is the lenses are not properly in front of your eyes, so your image is out of focus.

I don't think it's ATW(ASW) I do notice when ATW kicks in because objects become (jiggery) and teleport a little.  It makes more of a ghosting image than "double"  

The problem I have only seems to affect distant aircraft though.  If I am in a turn fight with a aircraft at 2-300m, I do not notice any double vision.

It's most obvious with very distant contacts that are small on the screen.  It will look like there are two contacts.

I'm just wondering if it has something to do with my settings. 

Has anyone else noticed this with distant LODs?  Place a distant plane flying 1000-800m away and let me know if you see double without icons. 

Not sure what might be going on there, I myself have never seen the double vision you are describing. It almost sounds like your eyes are maybe somewhat losing the focal point of what you are looking at for some reason.

Nope no glasses.  

I think it might have something to do with my config or perhaps the re-vive software I had installed.  I was trying to find out if anyone else saw this distortion before I went medieval on my config and install files.

I think this happens when your system cannot sustain 45fps and Oculus starts to interpolate, which can cause ghosting where composites of multiple frames look like double vision. 

Thanks for checking.  

It looks like the problem might have been due to the advanced supersampling filter available in steam options... which I guess works sort of like dynamic superresolution "DSR", rendering a higher resolution to give a smoother image.

So the supersampling must have messed up the distance between the L and R eye.

I was noticing a little bit of vertical distortion in the middle of my vision when I would turn my head back and forth.  That is also gone when I put Advanced Supersampling back to 1.0 in Steam VR.  

The feature works in some games, but apparently not so well in IL2 as it oddly distorts the 3d effect. 

Hopefully this saves someone else headache later on!

Bump.

Does anyone still have this issue? I've disabled the supersampling filtering as recommended, but I still can't focus on the distant objects or the reticle. I play quite a lot VR games, and I have this issue only in Il2.

It takes away all the fun in game, and it's the reason why I don't play Il2 in VR at all. With upcoming Flying Circus I'd like this issue to be fixed (on my or on dev end, doesn't matter) eventually...

Majkel - I am using the Vive. Everything looks fantastic except the illuminated gun cite. I get two circles that semi overlap. I wear glasses and suspect that has something to do with it. My brother has the Rift and has no problem. I have adjusted the IPD on the Vive and don't see any difference. There are a few things suggested here and elsewhere that I still want to try. Has anyone tried adjusting the startup.cfg or_ipd = number?

I wear contact lenses.

I play (or played) almost every flight sim that supports VR, from FSX with Fly Inside, through Prepar3d (native VR), XPlane 11 (native VR), DCS, VTOL VR, Elite Dangerous, Combat Air Patrol 2 to House of the Dying Sun. I don't have any focus problems in those games, only in Il2.

IPD in Steam VR is set correctly. I have the same problem with gunsight as Skyware, two circles that semi overlap while I should see only one. I can imagine the problem will be even worse once the draw distance increases in the upcoming patch.

Are you guys sure you are using the gunsight correctly?

Single eye behind the sight for all planes and only both on the spitfire?

Gunsight interpolation occurs in the brain. Take the 109 for a flight and sit centered in the cockpit with your right eye behind the gunsight only.

You'd be right if it was just the gunsight problem, but I can't focus on anything in the distance. The reticle is just an example. And as I said previously, I have this issue with Il2 only.

Gunsight in Il2 can not be used with both eyes for VR and 3dvision. I spent a lot of time trying to fix that but, unlike DCS, I did not succed...

You'll have to close one eye...that's the devs official position and the only way to use it.

Well, it's a deal breaker if it's the official position. And considering the real world reticle is focused to infinity it should be possible to focus on it with both eyes in the game, regardless of the aircraft.

Too bad, because I was looking forward to play Flying Circus in VR, but currently VR in the game isn't really usable for me. Hopefully it will be fixed down the road.

Edited by majkel

Strange, I do not seem to really have that problem flying in Il-2.

Maybe you cand try the "IPD modifier" like feature of my mod: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30556-3dmigoto-mod-vr/

I am not sure it will help, but as it shift left and right eye image it may help you to reduce the double for other things than sight...

I will try, thanks. I'm not sure if it's an IPD problem actually, it seems rather that the cameras are slightly rotated. It's just a guess though...

Gunsight in Il2 can not be used with both eyes for VR and 3dvision. I spent a lot of time trying to fix that but, unlike DCS, I did not succed...

You'll have to close one eye...that's the devs official position and the only way to use it.

Why close one eye? The idea is that both eyes stay open, one behind the sight. Same as how a holographic or red dot sight works on a rifle.

The gunsight gets interpolated in your brain.

Why close one eye? The idea is that both eyes stay open, one behind the sight. Same as how a holographic or red dot sight works on a rifle.

The gunsight gets interpolated in your brain.

You are right that you should look just with one eye, but regardless of that, if looked with both eyes you should be able to focus on the reticle. That is impossible to me in Il2. It's perfectly possible in DCS for example.

Double vision is a performance issue that caused by weird interactions with ASW.   If I turn ASW off I am usually free of double-vision, but I will the occasional stutters.   But it makes ASW unusable when heading into combat when more than 4 or 5 planes are in the area.  

I'm on Vive, so I don't have ASW. I did some tests with SteamVR settings, but none of them have any visible impact on this issue. What's worst, the view is almost there, but slightly beyond what's comfortable. The game looks amazing on first sight, but scanning the horizon or aiming with the gunsight is making me feel uncomfortable. I have this problem only with this game.

I have double vision only through the gunsight - sometimes even with one eye closed.  I am running VR on a 970, so I am pushing the GPU to the limit and probably beyond.

Even with that I find that my shooting has improved with VR.  Spacial awareness is so much better I find anticipating lead to be much easier with VR.

Even with that I find that my shooting has improved with VR.  Spacial awareness is so much better I find anticipating lead to be much easier with VR.

Agreed, my shooting skill improved quite a bit after going VR.

This is how the gusight works in real life. On Russian Il2 forum there was a long topic about it, and after some people were able to get to real airplane gunsight they agreed that it is impossible to see reticle with both eyes simultaneously because the lens of the gunsight is narrower than the human ipd.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/6044-kollimatornyj-pricel/page-3

It is all in Russian, but at least there are some pictures of real gunsights guys checked out and measured lens width.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you understand the problem here.

We're not discussing how to use the gunsight, but the VR implementation which is a problem. The gunsight example is given because it's easiest to see the the lack of VR focus on the gunsight itself. I don't want to look through the gunsight with both eyes, my problem is that I can't focus on the distant objects in VR (again - this is problem unique to the Il2, I don't have this issue in any other VR game/sim), including the reticle (in Spitfire you can see the reticle with both eyes).

I'm at a loss as to what is causing your particular issue then. Steam install or direct from the website? Possible that your configuration file is set to read only and unable to get your IPD setting from your mask/steam vr?

I don't understand it as well.

Steam version, config file is readable and writable.

Yes, I can, but that's not the point. I can't focus with both eyes on distant trees or distant aircraft either.

Why can't you focus on reticle with both eyes open then, if you are supposed to see reticle only with your prime eye. So ipd is not an issue I guess. Do you get double vision while airplane is staying still on parking, and you trying to focus on distant tree?

What is you fps in game? Are you talking about double vision during fps sags?

Edited by Balapan