The only abuse in question here is the abuse of bad sportsmanship from elitist 109 jockeys looking down their noses at anything else in disdain and with blatant disregard for the overall server gameplay. When the rest of us get fed up and all go over and fly bloody bf109s day in day out then you'll see how fun it becomes. It's simply not fair when a decent proportion of flyers hardly ever get to fly blue because of the zealous fanboys who look down superciliously from their pedestals thinking they are all Gunther Rall reincarnations.

This is why there needs to be a team balance function of some kind to put the inferiority complexes and big egos in their places.

thanks for demonstrating my point so effectively

I used to think team balance was a huge deal. I really did.

Then I started flying blue...and discovered the german team is usually far less efficient than the red team. We all know the cause... Fighters wandering around at 7k boom and zooming once in a while,trying to shoot stuff down, including their own. Not covering objectives, not covering bombers.

At the end of the day we can't ignore the fact that the LW team gets rekt even when numbers are in its favor...

My advise is, don't waste your energy worrying about it like I did, fly what you want and enjoy what you can...

To be fair, when the German team doesn't fly like herpa-derpa-ding-dongs in 99% Bf 109s but actually takes out Stukas, bomb-laden 110s, 88s and 111s they wipe the floor with Russian ground targets even faster than the Russians can do German targets with their Pe-2s and IL-2s.

Sure, the Pe-2 may be fast, but so is the Ju 88 and it carries a FAR bigger bomb load.

When the German team almost exclusively consists of 109-jockeys however the Russians do get a pretty clear pass to make low-altitude attacks with their bombers, but I don't know how to correct team sizes for players willfully losing battles (i.e. cruising around at 5+ km their 109s unable to find targets), and then correcting it the other way when the players on both teams want to win (German players flying lower in their 109s and also flying other planes than 109s).

The most fair option does seem to enforce relatively even teams as far as playercount goes. As stated above it is hard to balance by player quality/intention, and it's not fun to fly neither 60v20 or 20v60.

Or well... maybe some people enjoy flying 60v20 because they mainly enjoy flying combat air patrol missions in formation with their friends, but in that case I question why one needs to be on a PvP-server where there are no enemies because the outnumbering presence one is the cause of has scared them away <.<

Edited by Inkompetent

I found to the cost of my rating recently that switching sides, in a given month on WoL is not recommended if you are interested in seeing awards etc from the stats page. So in the future, if I pick a side, I intend to stick with it for that calendar month.

For new players I think Luftwaffe is a sensible choice. The auto management in the fighters, and clear instrument readouts makes a new pilots life bearable, and breaks them in gently to wanting to know more about engine management. I flew a Yak 1 69 series for a few sorties on one mission only, and I really enjoyed it, luckily for me I didn't have to taxi, because I didn't know wtf was going on with the wheel breaks etc, and when I was airborne, I couldn't find the fuel tanks. Had to read chucks guide the next day to discover that they are in fact on each wing.
I guess the point I'm trying to make, is that unless you have experience with both sides, it's not a simple matter of choosing side based solely on player count. I flew that Yak never once adjusting fuel mixture because I didn't have it mapped, same with the supercharger gear thing, and indeed the wheel breaks.
I do want to learn this stuff but not sure that WoL would be the best place to do it.   

I do want to learn this stuff but not sure that WoL would be the best place to do it.   

Quick Missions. Just take a plane and test it out. :)

I don't see a problem with putting auto engine management on WoL. It gives you no advantage whatsoever, you can turn it off if you want and it may make some people more inclined to be flexible with the teams.

I don't see a problem with putting auto engine management on WoL. It gives you no advantage whatsoever, you can turn it off if you want and it may make some people more inclined to be flexible with the teams.

What?

the lamest thing is when people try to enforce what they think is the 'right thing' on others through abuse, swearing and general attempts at shaming people.

Swearing at people is pretty lame. In my opinion, the guys flying VVS should just switch to German when the sides get too stacked. Then we can all just fly around staring at each other.

• Upvote 4

I would not want to see this.  This is supposed to be a simulation, and engine management in IL-2 is already simplified as it is.  The way I see it, anyone who might be inclined fly Luftwaffe simply because they find working a radiator or mixture lever too "complex" will simply make a good target for some hotshot VVS pilot.

• Upvote 3

Swearing at people is pretty lame. In my opinion, the guys flying VVS should just switch to German when the sides get too stacked. Then we can all just fly around staring at each other.

Doesn't work.  The problem people will either wait forever, with their sense of entitlement at the expense of everyone else nice and firm, or they'll leave and go fly warchunder.

I don't think this will ever be fixed in the serious servers.  There are plenty of different reasons why the guys who do it do it.  Some just want the superior, easier aircraft.  Some have a caveman-esque distaste for the Soviet side even though it's a game.  Some have a bizarrely strong attachment to the "planes of legend" 109 and 190.  And some have a toxic "Da customur is aaaalways right, and that's ME!" attitude that precludes sportsmanship in a multiplayer environment when people need to cooperate for everyone to have fun. 

In the end the degrading effect on the MP environment is the same.

Safe to say I've basically never been able to fly LW online because the teams are always so stacked.  There's no juice in it.  So me and my friends have flown VVS through thick and thick.  And you know, flying in a group of say 3 IL-2s and then being attacked by say 8 109s and 190s who are killing themselves they're so desperate to take us down used to give us competitive fuel in a way.  Beating those guys in the end felt so good.  But now the imbalance is too bad and has been for too long, it's just depressing.  I don't think I'll buy Kuban just to be a punching bag again.  God knows how bad Midway will be.

The only matchup that I think might balance itself would be if you had ONLY the Luftwaffe and ONLY the American AAC set in 1944-45.  Nothing else.  Then maybe there would be enough fanboys of each side's superplanes that it would even out online.

Edited by 7-GvShAP/Silas
  • Upvote 3

Holy crap. This is a discussion? Um, ok.

Try this: it's my quarter, and I'll fly whatever I want whenever I want. On whatever server I want.

Who the hell am I to suggest you should do anything different? You and I are both customers.

It IS nice to hear opinions, but let's not go telling each other what to do. And those inferring qualities about the other side based on your feelings ie: why doesn't so and so fly xxx side? Or why are there so many guys flying the other side ?- try just asking them. Making sweeping generalizations attacking your opposing players never goes over well. In case you actually wanted my 2 cents on the matter. :)

LW players have their perspective. Whatever that is they value that more than flying in a balanced multiplayer game. To a large degree that is already the nature of there game when the sides are so asymmetric (at least in terms of fighters).

I must admit even I fly LW every now and then when I want easy mode :)

Edited by gnomechompsky

I must admit even I fly LW every now and then when I want easy mode :)

Stop that...and I'm one of the guys who is normally stuck playing VVS in order to balance the sides, and yes, I wish that VVS wasn't most frequently at a big numerical disadvantage.  And yes, the German planes have superior performance and they likely allow a lesser pilot to get away with more mistakes than their Russian equivalent, but all planes demand the same:  Fly to your strengths and the enemy weaknesses, and it takes a skillful pilot to get the most out of his plane.  There are no "easy mode" planes in this game, and the numerical advantage enjoyed by Luftwaffe doesn't mean that somebody on that side can succeed as a poor pilot.

Edited by Iceworm
  • Upvote 1

but let's not go telling each other what to do

No one is telling you what to do, because we're well aware that the only-Lufties don't care.  What I'm suggesting is to shut down the mission when it's stacked by only-Lufties.  There is no reason for the people who are willing to fly VVS to enable those who don't give a crap about how stacked the sides are.

No one is telling you what to do, because we're well aware that the only-Lufties don't care. What I'm suggesting is to shut down the mission when it's stacked by only-Lufties. There is no reason for the people who are willing to fly VVS to enable those who don't give a crap about how stacked the sides are.

I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting something like forcing people to fly a particular side because you don't like the numbers. You'd rather just shut it down instead. Do you think a lot of people will fly on a server like that?

I wonder if the "Lufties only" guys would like that. Where will you get your opponents from if you alienate "those people"? From the flavor of the comments I'd think they were not too popular with many in this discussion.

Bunch of no talented pilots those Luftwaffles I tell you.

Try this: it's my quarter, and I'll fly whatever I want whenever I want. On whatever server I want.

In case you actually wanted my 2 cents on the matter. :)

Petty. Bet this champ is fun at parties. Can't see the wood for the trees some of these entitled Lufties.

"And some have a toxic "Da customur is aaaalways right, and that's ME!" attitude that precludes sportsmanship in a multiplayer environment when people need to cooperate for everyone to have fun. "

Edited by B0SS

Yes I see B0SS. I think I get it. Stupid Lufties! No good self entitled good for nothings! *shakes fist harder*

Well... good luck with the server. I bet people will flock to it.

There are plenty of different reasons why the guys who do it do it. Some just want the superior, easier aircraft. Some have a caveman-esque distaste for the Soviet side even though it's a game. Some have a bizarrely strong attachment to the "planes of legend" 109 and 190. And some have a toxic "Da customur is aaaalways right, and that's ME!" attitude that precludes sportsmanship in a multiplayer environment when people need to cooperate for everyone to have fun.

In the end the degrading effect on the MP environment is the same.

This is it, through and through.

The thing is, it amazes me that in a flight sim of all genres there are so many with this obstinate and​ supercilious air about them. As if they were really sitting there with a home-made pot metal Wehrmacht helmet looking down their noses at red in disdain.

Even kids playing a football game will often show a common sense of decency to balance the sides, yet here we have grown men with swinging egos thinking they are bloody Hans Joachim Marseille reincarnations. It is a crying shame.

It's an unfortunate business but this is why there needs to be a team balance function of some kind- to put the superiority complexes, fanaticism and big egos in their places. It need not even be something too intrusive at all, but when it gets to 2:1 or even worse this often and for this long, you need a little regulation for everyone's good.

Edited by B0SS

I really don't understand why we're still talking about why people stack the teams and [Edited] up the gameplay on the server. Frankly I don't care. Be it the easy planes, because they're Wehraboos with a Wehrmacht helmet made from Aluminium on their heads while they fly, be it because they simply like the fighters.

I just don't care, and no, one should not sacrifice meaningful gameplay for the feelings of a few. In every damn genre autobalancing is a thing. Do you see 1v3 Starcraft Laddermatches because Zerg should be many according to the lore? No. Do you see 3 vs 9 Counterstrike matches, because some guys just can't handle running around as a terrorist with an AK out of sheer misplaced patriotism? No, the autobalancer will pull you over and doesn't give a damn.

Balance is simply a thing, but for some effed up reason, the flightsim community, and it's not only this one, it's also DCS, CloD and everything else, didn't get the hint, yet. Probably because we're so niche that we're a little like North Korea when it comes to development and trends in gaming (and yes, this is gaming, we're not some simulator masterrace). People are always quick to count the bloody hits it will take this plane or that plane to lose it's wing, people will create hours and hours worth of videos to prove this or that imbalance, people will fill whole books on this forum about perceived imbalances and little possible errors in the flightmodels, but a much more serious matter of gameplay is just ignored. I don't get it.

Not that the LW only guys would know, but after a while it get's really damn tiring to attack and shoot down a fighter or two and then be swarmed by 3 others, because there is a ratio of 3:1 on the server. And not only that, since 90% of LW players sit in fighters all day, presumable reading Hartmann's memoires at 7K, you're often not fighting a 3:1 fighter ratio, but even a 4/5:1. Is it really that hard to grasp that that's a [Edited] experience for half of the server? Are we really at that level of entitlement that a simple "Hurr durr, play what I want, don't care, I'm a customer and don't give a [Edited]." is acceptable as a counterargument to those situations and proposed solutions?

It has become abundandly clear over my years in the flight sim that sweet words and appeals to decency and sportsmanship don't yield results. It didn't work in DCS, it didn't work in Cliffs and apparently it won't work here (shocker, right? ^^). Therefore an automated system needs to be available to the server admins. 1,5/2:1 ratio on the server? No, you cannot join LW and get the numbers lopsided even more, done. Maybe that would also lead to a few other servers being populated besides WoL, but that's beside the point. The point is that such a system might lead to more actual fights and less piranha swarms.

I really don't care about the technicalities of this hypothetical system. Maybe it only gets active at 30 players, so the server can fill up, don't especially care about the exact allowed ratio either, but something should happen in this regard.

Edited by Bearcat
Language
  • Upvote 4

But why do they have to be fanatics and big ego people? Why can't they just be fellow pilots? Who might be encouraged to fly with you more often if you encouraged them to do so? If only they weren't such scum that is. Egomaniacs, the lot of them. Sorry, forgot myself there...

Anyway, when we get coop missions online this can sort itself out and if you (I mean we) don't want to fly with any of "them" online if you (we) don't want to. That way those jerks can stick to themselves and fly with whoever wants to lower themselves to flying against those other guys can do so whenever they want. Win/Win I guess. Or they could fill vacant spots with AI... I think some servers do this...

This is a simulator guys. This isn't Counterstrike or whatever other game you want to throw in there where there is parity. Auto balance exists in arcade mode in war thunder - but you fly any plane from any side. (I don't even know if that could be done here but I maybe someone could set up such an animal in the future?) It's still free too. Not everyone wants to be told what side to fly and when. Some Allied guys would shudder at the thought of lifting a 109... imagine how easy they woild have it! But they wouldn't want to fly that side because they like a particular plane or fly with their friends who only fly one side, or they belong to a squad that has particular rules, or they are from an online culture where you generally don't switch sides as a rule (they fly a "side" for a period of time and then go to the other side)? Or they just "like" a particular plane?

But throw "simulator" in there where pilots pick a side and you are almost always guaranteed to run into this issue. But with a side verses side mode of online competition where one side has stukas and the other has sturmoviks people will fly to their particular preference. And guys who fly at 6km might do so because they got bounced at 4... but then they miss out on the objectives too.... so there's that problem...

... so now that I've thought about I am thinking maybe having an enforced "auto balance" server isn't such a bad idea after all... people would simply opt "in" or "out". With (theoretically) auto balance in place the numbers would at least be balanced.... but what then? Will you mandate people pick a particular role too? You could wind up with a slaughter of 10 LA 5's verses two 109's and eight Heinkels. Or whatever... use your imagination.

But of course you could wind up flying on "that" side. What then? Is it okay then because you didn't choose that particular side?

This is getting complicated.

Edited by Beazil

But why do they have to be fanatics and big ego people? Why can't they just be fellow pilots? Who might be encouraged to fly with you more often if you encouraged them to do so? If only they weren't such scum that is. Egomaniacs, the lot of them. Sorry, forgot myself there...

Anyway, when we get coop missions online this can sort itself out and if you (I mean we) don't want to fly with any of "them" online if you (we) don't want to. That way those jerks can stick to themselves and fly with whoever wants to lower themselves to flying against those other guys can do so whenever they want. Win/Win I guess. Or they could fill vacant spots with AI... I think some servers do this...

That will not work either. Boycott does not work. TAW proved it. The numbers there were even more ridiculous at times (40 vs 8 and the like). Eventually VVS stopped showing up for a while. Guess what happened? They simply kept on flying without enemies on the server and just bombed the AI all day, bringing the campaign to an end. It's incredible, but people are actually like that. That's why I said in my wall of text above: An automated system is the only thing that will actually work.

Edited by JG4_Etherlight
  • Upvote 4

Do you think a lot of people will fly on a server like that?

Why do you think it even matters?  If the sides are constantly stacked it doesn't really matter if the server is empty or full.  Everyone switching to German is just a good way to drive the only-Lufties away.

I am American, and I fly LW. I also have mediocre skill at BEST, and I get shot down...A LOT. This thread is the most entertainment I've had in a while! Keep up the salt boys! I am reading it while staring down my nose from my high horse and observing the VVS peasantry, whilst drinking horrible American beer and firing my redneck .44 magnum pistol in the air and making print outs of my daily stats to wallpaper my caravan/trailer home with. Please excuse me if I've forgotten or omitted any other gross generalizations and/or stereotypes....it's getting late here. :crazy: :crazy:

This place cracks me up sometimes. :lol: :lol:

Now...if you'll excuse me....

article-2512694-199C26CB00000578-946_306

Therefore an automated system needs to be available to the server admins. 1,5/2:1 ratio on the server? No, you cannot join LW and get the numbers lopsided even more, done. Maybe that would also lead to a few other servers being populated besides WoL, but that's beside the point. The point is that such a system might lead to more actual fights and less piranha swarms.

I really don't care about the technicalities of this hypothetical system. Maybe it only gets active at 30 players, so the server can fill up, don't especially care about the exact allowed ratio either, but something should happen in this regard.

The 'EU official 1CGS server planes and tanks by DED' server, does have a feature that does this. If the numbers get too high on one side, that side's airfields are greyed out with a 'max' lable and you are unable to join on that side.

This is a simulator guys. This isn't Counterstrike or whatever other game you want to throw in there where there is parity. Auto balance exists in arcade mode in war thunder - but you fly any plane from any side. (I don't even know if that could be done here but I maybe someone could set up such an animal in the future?)

Yes, it is possible, but unless you have icons on it is impossible to tell what side the planes are on.

Also, sort of the same point, I agree with you broadly with it being a simulator, but the thread is specifically about stacking on WoL, which is one of the more 'arcadey' servers.

That's why I suggested having auto engine management, to encourage people to try something other than a 109. WoL is the most well populated server so it will attract new players anyway, and I don't see how someone can be bothered about it not being simmy enough when they are flying around on a server with GPS and kill notifications on.

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles

That's why I suggested having auto engine management, to encourage people to try something other than a 109. WoL is the most well populated server so it will attract new players anyway, and I don't see how someone can be bothered about it not being simmy enough when they are flying around on a server with GPS and kill notifications on.

On the other hand there needs to be a "ladder" somewhere. For example WoL has standard engine management, but still has a GPS-map which makes navigation a no-brainer. RandomExpert has a more complex campaign, plus no GPS map so people need to actually navigate, which can take quite a lot of focus and require flying in teams to both have SA and knowing where you are going. TAW adds even more complexity onto the campaign layer, basically being the "ultimate" mode in IL-2 at the time being.

By simplifying WoL to auto engine management the step up to RE or TAW will be enormous.

On the other hand there needs to be a "ladder" somewhere. For example WoL has standard engine management, but still has a GPS-map which makes navigation a no-brainer. RandomExpert has a more complex campaign, plus no GPS map so people need to actually navigate, which can take quite a lot of focus and require flying in teams to both have SA and knowing where you are going. TAW adds even more complexity onto the campaign layer, basically being the "ultimate" mode in IL-2 at the time being.

By simplifying WoL to auto engine management the step up to RE or TAW will be enormous.

Fair point.

I am American, and I fly LW. I also have mediocre skill at BEST, and I get shot down...A LOT. This thread is the most entertainment I've had in a while! Keep up the salt boys! I am reading it while staring down my nose from my high horse and observing the VVS peasantry, whilst drinking horrible American beer and firing my redneck .44 magnum pistol in the air and making print outs of my daily stats to wallpaper my caravan/trailer home with. Please excuse me if I've forgotten or omitted any other gross generalizations and/or stereotypes....it's getting late here. :crazy: :crazy:

This place cracks me up sometimes. :lol: :lol:

Now...if you'll excuse me....

article-2512694-199C26CB00000578-946_306

We were having a perfectly one sided conversation until you came along... Dammed Luftie. Go back to your auto pitch l33tmobil3. Besides if you had any talent at all, you'd fly VVS. Just look at the evidence presented here!

• Upvote 1

But vvs planes smell like rotten yaks milk :D

Only because the pilot sprayed his milk all over the windshield laughing at the prospect of losing to a dirty Luftie.  ;)

when the spit arrives, I think I'll mostly fly for the reds

Before anything else is considered, I think, get rid of the 3 minute switching penalty and get rid of the hit to the "ranking" that people apparently take for switching sides, and it might help somewhat people's willingness to switch sides.  I imagine that there are quite a few people who have purchased Stalingrad, Moscow, and Kuban, so that they can fly a variety of aircraft on both sides, not just the BF-109.

• Upvote 3

This is a simulator guys. This isn't Counterstrike or whatever other game you want to throw in there where there is parity. Auto balance exists in arcade mode in war thunder - but you fly any plane from any side. (I don't even know if that could be done here but I maybe someone could set up such an animal in the future?) It's still free too. Not everyone wants to be told what side to fly and when. Some Allied guys would shudder at the thought of lifting a 109... imagine how easy they woild have it! But they wouldn't want to fly that side because they like a particular plane or fly with their friends who only fly one side, or they belong to a squad that has particular rules, or they are from an online culture where you generally don't switch sides as a rule (they fly a "side" for a period of time and then go to the other side)? Or they just "like" a particular plane?

This is what gets me.  Multiplayer isn't a simulator (certainly on WoL), it is not even close.  If you want a simulation play single player or one of servers that organises periodic private games where players are divided into sqns with objectives.  

WoL is for the most part a bunch of randoms flying around with no support and with no defined objective other than bump into the enemy and engage them.  Just because you happen to be flying in a sqn doesn't make it realistic either, you are still flying against people who are not.

If you are kidding yourself it's a simulation it is not surprising you see no problem in a team ratio of 2:1 using superior planes.  

You are not going to make WoL a simulation so you may as well at least make it fair.  

Stop that...and I'm one of the guys who is normally stuck playing VVS in order to balance the sides, and yes, I wish that VVS wasn't most frequently at a big numerical disadvantage.  And yes, the German planes have superior performance and they likely allow a lesser pilot to get away with more mistakes than their Russian equivalent, but all planes demand the same:  Fly to your strengths and the enemy weaknesses, and it takes a skillful pilot to get the most out of his plane.  There are no "easy mode" planes in this game, and the numerical advantage enjoyed by Luftwaffe doesn't mean that somebody on that side can succeed as a poor pilot.

Well my stats speak for themselves.  I have a much higher W:L ratio as LW.  

• Upvote 3

Before anything else is considered, I think, get rid of the 3 minute switching penalty

This never made any sense. I almost couldn't believe my eyes when they first put this penalty on - what were they thinking? 

On a server with such bad imbalance and far too many 109 jockeys, how can you punish the few good who are willing to balance and change sides?

Edited by B0SS

Not a simulator huh? Hmm.... someone should tell the developers - I think they actually believe that are in fact making a simulator. I also didn't realize that it's not a Sim if one side out numbers the other. I'm learning so much here. Please tell me more.

I agree that getting rid of the penalties for switching sides would do more to balance things. But of course you'd have to assign sides (and roles too). Like I said this is complicated.

I'm smug? You want to make people fly VVS, even if they don't want to.

Because you said so.

You contend that because you are statistically better in LW planes that it must be so for everyone else. And you offer up your stats as "proof".

Obviously the rest of us pilots have a tremendous amount to learn. Apparently so to do the developers and the idiots that run Wings of Liberty, unless of course they wake up and do things the way you say. It couldn't possibly be because some of you are frustrated with a population imbalance and have let to some pretty goofy conclusions. I realize you could probably singlehandedly take on the entire player base at once, because you are so good. We'll, maybe not you in particular, but I believe some moron made a comment to that effect, so it must be true. It's just because the rest of us simply just don't know any better, and have been just dying for someone like you to tell them what to fly, on what side and whatever role. I understand.

Now, who's being smug?

Edit: Of course you could set up your OWN server and enforce whatever rules you like. That way you wouldn't have to fly with the rest of the riff raff.

Edit again: sorry for the quick edit. But there is a point I do want to make.

I for one WILL make an effort to look at the sides and might even try something crazy like flying VVS if the numbers are out of whack.

Who knows? Maybe we might even end up flying on the same side! Or maybe someone else reading this will go VVS if they see a massive imbalance. Nothing wrong with bringing it to people's attention anyway. Be sure to refer to them all as talentless wanna be Erich Hartmanns too. I'm sure they will love you for it. I know I've found new respect for some of you. :) xoxo

Edited by Beazil

I'm smug? You want to make people fly VVS, even if they don't want to.

Because you said so.

To be fair, you [team stackers] are making it so people who will play VVS for the sake of balance cannot play LW, even if they wanted to.

Where's the fun in flying 45 vs 21?  If you don't mind flying around for an hour without seeing an enemy and aren't willing to join the underpopulated team, why not go play a quick mission free flight?   Why are you so opposed to flying VVS?  I mean, you did pay for the planes after all, why not use them? 

I really cannot understand why people are so opposed to flying both sides.  If you're playing the multiplayer aspect of the game, it's about teamwork, not the individual. 

The only time the current Red players will get a chance to play Blue is when the PTO games come out, and then we are going to be flying Japanese while the LW all ride their thinly-veiled high-horses over to the Red side American planes...

Believe it or not, sometimes the allies have the advantages. I know not in this time period, but eventually.

We will see when we get the spit5. I'm confident some will really like it for acceleration and turn, as well as its stability as a gun platform.

Will it balance things automatically? Pff no. But it will bring players to that side. At least for a time.

It is a conundrum, I do agree. Honestly, I'd suggest setting up a server to do just what you are suggesting - assign sides based on numbers.

Some servers will fill those blank spots with ai (so numbers are always even I assume). Is that possible? If not, someone is always going to be unbalanced.

Then people could evaluate if this concept could work in a game like this. Maybe it could. It's worth a shot anyway.

I used to think team balance was a huge deal. I really did.

Then I started flying blue...and discovered the german team is usually far less efficient than the red team. We all know the cause... Fighters wandering around at 7k boom and zooming once in a while,trying to shoot stuff down, including their own. Not covering objectives, not covering bombers.

At the end of the day we can't ignore the fact that the LW team gets rekt even when numbers are in its favor...

My advise is, don't waste your energy worrying about it like I did, fly what you want and enjoy what you can...

I think there's a lot of truth in this. 

Noone likes a five on one monkey hump.

PS: loved Turban's comments. And Tuesday's too.

It's funny but in another Sim I had a forum meltdown over this very issue. Only it was the allies with the advantages in numbers. Anyways, I made an ass of myself because people were not doing what I wanted them to do - that is even up the numbers. They just didn't want to. They all had reasons like those I listed earlier. Bottom line, they made a different choice than I did. The difference in my old situation was that there were more squads there, larger numbers or of course people just liked a particular plane set. That and numbers sometimes would swing both ways, not just one. Then I realized something similar to Turban.

There are great people on both sides of this game with a wealth of knowledge and experience. That's the richness of this flight Sim culture. :)

Edited by Beazil