Sign in to follow this  
SCG_Tzigy

SLI...update

Just a little update, as usual, your mileage may vary...

With my card (690) the only way i can make SLI work is to use Nvidia Inspector.

Under "SLI compatibility bits" for DX11, chage the last 0 to 5

In my case SLI use results in near double FPS (110-120, 50-70 under load)

Still, unfortunately, after the last update, I had to turn down the distance to "normal" from "3x"

The smoke/explosions were causing extreme stutters (especially with zooming in and out), near freezes...

The new settings (sharpen, sharp/blurry) do not seem to make much difference but I'm still testing..

Running ULTRA,  2560 ×1600, 4AA

• Upvote 2

Same here. Official nvidia driver update should come soon for correct bit numbers now that software is fixed??

Setting the bits to the same number as for dx9 now also turns on sli. 0x0440005 I believe?

• Upvote 1

The last developer diary reported that SLI is now fixed and significant performance increases have been demonstrated, but I'm just not seeing it. 

Tests with bits set to 0x0000005 and other experimental bits, running In "Full Screen" mode, the game is okay, but seems more stuttery with SLI than it does on 1 card.  With Mirrors installed, the game is literally a slide show, and unplayable.  SLI is definitely "ON" in this mode because I can display the NVidia SLI indicator bars

Running at the same resolution with Full Screen unchecked yields much more useable results, including very little performance hits from Mirrors, but the bad news is, I don't think that SLI is even being used in windowed mode, even if Multi-GPU support is enabled in the BoS settings.   I think it is still just using one card, and the other card is just mimicking the other.  I'm not really sure if the cards are actually scaling, because the SLI Indicator bars do not display if the game is running in Windowed.

Glad to hear that SLI is working for some, but I would really like to get some developer guidance on the correct settings, including compatibility bits, to get SLI to work optimally.

Edited by Iceworm

SLI does work and we've confirmed it with Nvidia and they have told us we have done a good job implementing it. You don't need to do anything with the bits. As Han said if you already have strong card and good graphics performance you'll not see a huge gain.The biggest benefits come from pairing two less powerful cards together on a slower system. 

Jason

Hi,

Just giving feedback here. After the update the bits for dx11 compatibility remained blank ( all zeros). Only dx9 line is filled in, and my msi afterburner showed only one card at 100percent use and the second at 1percent. Program Profile looks just like it did when dx9 was around.

It remained this way until I entered numbers in that dx11 bit compatibility line. Nothing else worked to enable it.

SLI does work and we've confirmed it with Nvidia and they have told us we have done a good job implementing it. You don't need to do anything with the bits. As Han said if you already have strong card and good graphics performance you'll not see a huge gain.The biggest benefits come from pairing two less powerful cards together on a slower system. 

Jason

Jason, i hear u but just like Tuna, I can't get it working unless edit in dx11 bit compatibility line is present. Have the latest nvidia drivers (clean install).  Nothing in the IL-2BOS settings will make SLI working without it.., by the way I also used MSI Afterburner to confirm

Maybe we are just outliers and I hope it works for everyone else.

Sli is hit or miss anyways. Regardless of a game supporting it.

• Upvote 1

Best option has always been one fast card.

Jason

Ok, just put them back to default (nothing 0x0000), and the only thing that tells my machine to take advantage of SLI for this game is the multi-GPU setting in the game itself.  Performance is improved with 2 cards vs 1 card, and I was able to go to back to Ultra settings.  The SLI Visual Indicator that should display when SLI is working will not display, but since I was able to boost my settings significantly and get very noticeably better performance than what I was getting on one card yesterday, that's a pretty strong indicator that it's working on my machine.  Thanks

Edited by Iceworm

I haven't modified the Inspector bits in 2.010, but SLI is definitely not working for me.

Rivatuner/MSI Afterburner reports that GPU 2 remains at flat 39% and "SLI Sync" does not engage at any point.

I have tried in both windowed and fullscreen.

Even after the DX11 update you could get SLI Sync using the 0x0000005 bits however performance was arguably worse, normally when moving the camera around quickly.  

Hopefully this information is of help to someone.

Edit: 2 x 980s here.

Edited by gnomechompsky

DEFINITELY not working here either.  2 GTX 980TI in SLI.  Installed latest drivers and rebooted to be sure.  Multi GPU setting doesn't make a difference...using MSI Afterburner/Riva Statistics to monitor GPU usage.  1 GPU pegged in upper 90s (%) and other sits around 4% aka idle.  SLI indicator turned on as well and does not show.  using unaltered nvidia profile.  If I do alter the SLI compatibility bit it's an extreme stuttery mess.  Interestingly I still suffer from stutters that I never noticed before the update.  Graphics settings maxed at first.  Then I turned off mirrors, turned distant terrain detail to 2x, turned off SSAO, Ultra preset and other options checked/maxed.  STILL stutters but not as bad...which should not be the case.  If anyone figures this stuttery thing out please advise!  (I'm using stalingrad map not moscow but stutters persist).  I may not NEED SLI since I get good frames anyway (90-140 on average) but I can't live with stutters...and they exist regardless which completely ruins it for me.

i5 4690K at 4.7Ghz stable (watercooled)

2 Asus Strix 980TI in SLI (not overclocked)

16Gb RAM

similar experience to DoggyC...yap, seems like the peeps with older cards not doing so well after the most recent update....not sure will get much luv as most people have reported great improvements...

similar experience to DoggyC...yap, seems like the peeps with older cards not doing so well after the most recent update....not sure will get much luv as most people have reported great improvements...

I have GTX 1070's, and seem to be getting good scaling when looking at usage in Afterburner, and as I said, 2.010 runs a lot better with 2 cards than it does one on my particular machine, which was definitely not the case for me with 2.009.  I wonder if this is only working out for people who have 10 Series cards? 

No the team tested with 580s which are quite old and it shows good results. We're trying to build some more current machines to test. I swapped some hardware and I now have two 980s running and I'm getting some seemingly illogical results as well. I will continue to follow up with the team and do more testing, but I do not know what will happen or if anything will change. We've always only suggested SLI for older machines because of this law of seemingly diminishing returns on faster hardware. We made the same suggestion with Rise of Flight. Sometimes I hate computers.

Jason

• Upvote 1

No the team tested with 580s which are quite old and it shows good results. We're trying to build some more current machines to test. I swapped some hardware and I now have two 980s running and I'm getting some seemingly illogical results as well. I will continue to follow up with the team and do more testing, but I do not know what will happen or if anything will change. We've always only suggested SLI for older machines because of this law of seemingly diminishing returns on faster hardware. We made the same suggestion with Rise of Flight. Sometimes I hate computers.

Jason

Thank you for your follow up on this, Jason. Really appreciate it. I love this sim so much, and it has made so many great improvements lately. I would like to get that second 980 humming along, but if it's not possible I'm still very pleased with the single 980 giving me 100+ fps with the last update on my 4 year old rig. I for one will never again waste money on SLI ever again, that's for sure.

And now about 780s. Any new info, Jason?

The 780 issue is not our problem to solve. It is Nvidia's.

Jason

• Upvote 1

It is PARTLY your problem because some of your customers cannot play your game.
So no more action from your side taken? You leave it to us?

Sry for OT.

Sry for OT.

We've explained that the problem is with Nvidia's drivers and their hardware. We're not the only game with this issue. We've provided a workaround and suggested which drivers to use. There is simply nothing more we can do at this point. Nvidia has even told us they are aware of the issue. What more do you want me to do huh? We've done our job and supported there damn cards. Now it's Nvidia's turn to support us.

Jason

• Upvote 6

Sry for OT.

I know you're frustrated, especially because you're card isn't that old from a chronological standpoint (ignoring generations) but this really is Nvidia's issue.

We can't expect to Dev's to backpedal for the sake of aberrant behavior on one particular older card.

Finger's crossed that Nvidia does something to help before too much longer.

The flip-side is that you can get a used 970 in Ebay for very little $$.

I just sold mine in there for $95.

Jason

really appreciate all your help!!!! 

also, pls, check PM, not related to SLI...

We've explained that the problem is with Nvidia's drivers and their hardware. We're not the only game with this issue. We've provided a workaround and suggested which drivers to use. There is simply nothing more we can do at this point. Nvidia has even told us they are aware of the issue. What more do you want me to do huh? We've done our job and supported there damn cards. Now it's Nvidia's turn to support us.

Jason

Thank you Jason.

I have connected two GTX 970 in SLI and the FPSs have showed an improvement but I have now stuttering that I was not observed with one card alone. I updated drivers last night and rebooted but the stuttering still remains. I ran Nvidia inspector and put the bits in 5 but it is no use. Apparently was a waste of money buy a second card and put it in SLI.

I have connected two GTX 970 in SLI and the FPSs have showed an improvement but I have now stuttering that I was not observed with one card alone. I updated drivers last night and rebooted but the stuttering still remains. I ran Nvidia inspector and put the bits in 5 but it is no use. Apparently was a waste of money buy a second card and put it in SLI.

SLI seemed to go through a resurgence a few years ago when a lot of games supported it, presumably because nvidia was pushing the tech. For a while SLI was the only way to get 60fps in Witcher 3 at 1440p.

In the last 18 months support seems to have fallen off massively with most companies just not bothering at all. At this point I would say it is a huge waste of money. You are better investing in a new card and selling your last one.

Hi,

Just giving feedback here. After the update the bits for dx11 compatibility remained blank ( all zeros). Only dx9 line is filled in, and my msi afterburner showed only one card at 100percent use and the second at 1percent. Program Profile looks just like it did when dx9 was around.

It remained this way until I entered numbers in that dx11 bit compatibility line. Nothing else worked to enable it.

Just a small update for anyone interested. With 10 lines for texture LOD and dx11 bits changed to 0x0A00005 ( The A is new), I managed to get rid of stuttersin SLI. It doesn't work with only 5 lines.

I got a reply from nvidia last week on my sli report. They told me that their engineers were working with the game developers to solve the issue.

Just a small update for anyone interested. With 10 lines for texture LOD and dx11 bits changed to 0x0A00005 ( The A is new), I managed to get rid of stuttersin SLI. It doesn't work with only 5 lines.

Perhaps is a silly question, but where is the option for 0x0A00005? Nvidia Profile Inspector last update perhaps? I can not find it in the 2.1.3.4 version and can not find a newer one.

Thanks in advance.

Regards  :)

Edited by Tag777

Perhaps is a silly question, but where is the option for 0x0A00005? Nvidia Profile Inspector last update perhaps? I can not find it in the 2.1.3.4 version and can not find a newer one.

Thanks in advance.

Regards :)

You can type any combination of numbers you want if click on the 0x0000000 with your mouse, just hit enter after you are done typing and apply button above.

You can type any combination of numbers you want if click on the 0x0000000 with your mouse, just hit enter after you are done typing and apply button above.

Thanks mate. I really appreciate your help.

Regards

Another question. Where I put the line number for LOD in the Inspector?

Thanks  :)

Another question. Where I put the line number for LOD in the Inspector?

Search for terrain.cfg file information here on forum. That's where the number of LOD lines is specified. It should be put into the

Data/graphics folder in the game folder

Edited by TunaEatsLion