Any sim pilots are welcome to try my rift with IL2 as well.

You would have to come way down to south Texas though

And I would not trade VR for nothing.

I guess I am an Immersion whore LOL.

While it may not be beautiful 4K or even 1440p, running mine at Ultra settings with Pixel Density of 1.6 and 4x terrain distance, AF on Sharpen, it looks pretty darn sweet to me. 1CGS really did in incredible job with this VR implementation.

And I too am really looking forward to seeing what the next generation of VR brings to the table.

Can you maintain 90fps with those settings?  

Can you maintain 90fps with those settings?  

The majority of the time, yes. During some intense heavy combat it will drop to ASW ,  but no problem maintaining ASW of 45 fps. And really it still is very smooth to me at that. But climbs back up to 90 fps fairly quickly when some action starts dying back down.

Edited by dburne

I sold my Rift today. After two months of experimenting, I just could not adjust to the low resolution. I prefer to play with my monitor instead so no reason to keep Rift anymore. I think I`ll wait a bit to see how the Nolo vr add works out or if some other way show up to add 6dof capability for Pimax. 

Really? Specs say 110 degrees but 75 sounds really narrow... 

What`s your opinion on the Pimax fov issue? I mean what the TunaEatsLion said above.

Zami for me I think it is just fine as far as FOV is concerned although I wish I had tried one of the other headsets to give a better answer...The latest update by Pimax is running great...smooth as can be...still awaiting Nolo vr(June sometime)

Now just need a system to test it at 8K with supersampling (maybe 2 x 1080Ti)

Just like how the vive and rift are running almost 4K with 1.5x SS

Before I got my vr headset I was running on 3 40inch 4K screens with 2 980 ti's with excellent results. Above 60 fps most of the time. I usually run 1.3 S.S. but I am experamenting with setting the Pimax to run at 3840x2160. which is a nice trade off with lower AA. Still trying to find the sweet spot.

With latest Pi play update all FOV issues are fixed...I am running i6700/3000ddr4/2 980 ti's/z170 mobo

Given your GPU is not the latest and greatest, how do you find the FPS when doing low level flying with high ground detail present such as trees etc?

I'm looking at building a new PC specifically to use with Pimax and this sim.  Obviously a 1080 or 1080TI is going to give the best performance but given that the Pimax can't display over 60 FPS then I'm interested in your experience when stressing the GPU.

Zami for me I think it is just fine as far as FOV is concerned although I wish I had tried one of the other headsets to give a better answer...The latest update by Pimax is running great...smooth as can be...still awaiting Nolo vr(June sometime)

Did you get your Nolo set up yet? Also do you wear glasses by any chance?

Edited by TunaEatsLion

Tuna haven't received my dispatch email for Nolo yet...and yes I do wear glasses.  No issue with comfort and I have a fairly large head.

Given your GPU is not the latest and greatest, how do you find the FPS when doing low level flying with high ground detail present such as trees etc?

I'm looking at building a new PC specifically to use with Pimax and this sim.  Obviously a 1080 or 1080TI is going to give the best performance but given that the Pimax can't display over 60 FPS then I'm interested in your experience when stressing the GPU.

I always stay above 30 fps which believe it or not for me doesn't bother me.  Once I get above 200m I stays pegged at 60 fps most of the time.   I think the lower refresh rate(60hz) helps with lower specs as long as the refresh rate doesn't bother you.  For me no problem.  I will upgrade video card in a few months I hope.

Edited by GrendelsDad

Tuna haven't received my dispatch email for Nolo yet...and yes I do wear glasses. No issue with comfort and I have a fairly large head.

I always stay above 30 fps which believe it or not for me doesn't bother me. Once I get above 200m I stays pegged at 60 fps most of the time. I think the lower refresh rate(60hz) helps with lower specs as long as the refresh rate doesn't bother you. For me no problem. I will upgrade video card in a few months I hope.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

• Upvote 1

Tuna haven't received my dispatch email for Nolo yet...and yes I do wear glasses.  No issue with comfort and I have a fairly large head.

I always stay above 30 fps which believe it or not for me doesn't bother me.  Once I get above 200m I stays pegged at 60 fps most of the time.   I think the lower refresh rate(60hz) helps with lower specs as long as the refresh rate doesn't bother you.  For me no problem.  I will upgrade video card in a few months I hope.

Thanks for the reply.

What verion of PiPlay are you using?  By the way apparently Nolo VR is not yet working with the Pimax event though it was advertised as such and there has been a lot of chatter on the Pimax forums about it.  Apparently Nolo devs say they are working on it and a new version of PiPlay that works with Nolo may be out this Friday.

As far as i know the nolo isn't out yet, should be shipped soon anyway (the site tell june 2017) i am waiting for someone review before buying the pimax and nolo vr

As far as i know the nolo isn't out yet, should be shipped soon anyway (the site tell june 2017) i am waiting for someone review before buying the pimax and nolo vr

My biggest concern now is whether or not pimax 4k locks you into 30fps for the higher resolution setting that they call 4k. As far as I know it was a thing in the past but not sure if new drivers changed it.

Tuna right now its res is set at 2560x1440@60hz...I find using SS or DSR both really clears the image up.  I have messed with the video settings over the past few days and now have it running at 60fps online WOL at all times.  When using DSR factor of 2.25 it runs at the screens native res of 3840x2160 @60hz...this option drops below 60fps sometimes so its still a work in progress.

Westgj I am using the latest I believe which is 1.2.75 which seems to be the most stable and best performing update...I would like to say they do a good job of addressing issues from what I can tell.  Updates every few weeks or so.

Edited by GrendelsDad

Tuna right now its res is set at 2560x1440@60hz...I find using SS or DSR both really clears the image up. I have messed with the video settings over the past few days and now have it running at 60fps online WOL at all times. When using DSR factor of 2.25 it runs at the screens native res of 3840x2160 @60hz...this option drops below 60fps sometimes so its still a work in progress.

Westgj I am using the latest I believe which is 1.2.75 which seems to be the most stable and best performing update...I would like to say they do a good job of addressing issues from what I can tell. Updates every few weeks or so.

Just to know...(considering taking the pimax) it works as the OR?you just need to launch il2 in vr mode?the resolution is set automatically?then using steamvr you can set ss?the retroprojection is working like vive and rift creating frames for you?

I read that pimax has an asyncronous mode at 90hz that works by rendering only for one eye at the time...basing on the fact that the left eye cannot see the right screen you should not notice but performance would be much better and the hdmi 1.4 interface bandwitdh limitations (4k@30Hz) could be bypassed could you look at it and see if it works and how it feel?I read in the pimax forum and should be an option in their piplay software.

I would like to know the more i can about it before buying...

Thanks

Edited by Virus*

Tuna right now its res is set at 2560x1440@60hz...I find using SS or DSR both really clears the image up.  I have messed with the video settings over the past few days and now have it running at 60fps online WOL at all times.  When using DSR factor of 2.25 it runs at the screens native res of 3840x2160 @60hz...this option drops below 60fps sometimes so its still a work in progress.

Westgj I am using the latest I believe which is 1.2.75 which seems to be the most stable and best performing update...I would like to say they do a good job of addressing issues from what I can tell.  Updates every few weeks or so.

Thanks for the info.  I notice in your original posting that you didn't experience much drift whereas on the Pimax forums there is a lot of issues with drift in other games, even with the latest PiPlay software.  Can you confirm that drift is still not an issue in this game?

FYI in IL-2 there is drift regularly especially on Wings of Liberty. So keep that reset HMD to center bind on the ready. On another note, SteamVR values are off and not what you expect regarding SS and PD: SS@2.25 in SteamVR gives a Pixel Density of between 1.5 to 1.6 to the base value.

Edited by 1CAG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Upvote 1

Roger that Wolf...I am getting better looking results using Nvidia DSR but it drops fps a bit more than using S.S. what you said would explain the big difference I noticed.  Thanks for that.

Also wanted to mention I do have a bit of a drift issue online...it seems almost not there offline which seems strange.  This is without my Nolo which still has not shipped yet.  Hopefully the 6dof tracking will fix any issue with drift.  I will update here as soon as I get it going.

Edited by GrendelsDad

The drift is game related, and happens both on Rift and Vive as well - I have just seen it in MP, just as you. It usually happens right after spawning a plane, usually 2 in 3 times at least. While flying it is almost not noticable, and quickly fixed by a "reset hmd position" button.

Just FYI, DSR seems to have no effect on actual HMDs' density, and only changes the picture on the 2D monitor - that is where the unreasonable performance hit may come from. We can be influenced a lot by placebo effects as human beings, hence I suggest you pull an OSD overlay for the HMD and read off the PD there, and only change it in SteamVR as well.

And remember guys, PD != SS value.

Hey guys just wanted to shoot an update...I received my Nolo vr kit...so far it is working like a charm. Up and running in 30 mins after a few videos of how to pair with Pimax. The head movement is better and more responsive than my Track IR was.(this is opinion as I do not have numbers to support this). Drift is still evident but not any worse and with new Piplay update seems to be better overall. I have yet to go up in Multiplayer but I will report back after I do. So far guys this is working out like a dream...good resolution with 6DOF also want to mention I can still turn 360 and as long as the sensor can see the headset no problems looking behind me and this is mounted above my monitor not on ceiling. Pleasant surprise.

Edited by GrendelsDad
  • Upvote 1

Hey guys just wanted to shoot an update...I received my Nolo vr kit...so far it is working like a charm. Up and running in 30 mins after a few videos of how to pair with Pimax. The head movement is better and more responsive than my Track IR was.(this is opinion as I do not have numbers to support this). Drift is still evident but not any worse and with new Piplay update seems to be better overall. I have yet to go up in Multiplayer but I will report back after I do. So far guys this is working out like a dream...good resolution with 6DOF also want to mention I can still turn 360 and as long as the sensor can see the headset no problems looking behind me and this is mounted above my monitor not on ceiling. Pleasant surprise.

What version of Piplay are you running?  I've been following the Pimax forums closely for weeks now and it seems that latest version that was released a couple of days ago (1.2.91) is apparently causing even worse drift that the previous version for a lot of people plus additional ghosting but the rendering and visual quality has improved significantly.

Other people on the Pimax forums are still reporting drift with Nolo.  Yet others are reporting less drift when facing north.  What direction are you facing?

Glad to hear everything is work well for you - and I am hoping when I finish building my PC that I will experience the same results taking into account that I have the Pimax BE version whereas you have the Pimax 4K version.  Maybe even one day Nolo will ship their kit to me or at least give me a tracking number.

Yeah man, my Nolo took 3 weeks to ship after label was printed. I was in Wol and the drift wasn't really bothersome. It's there especially if you look one direction for a while but it's not an issue for me. I am actually facing west and I too had read about facing north but have not had to do that yet. I also don't feel ghosting is any worse for me and quality is a step up. I am running 1.2.91 with no problems. It may be important to note my sensor for Nolo is about 10 inches above my head and tracks me almost 360 degrees. I am sitting about 3-5 feet from the sensor and cannot express enough how nice it tracks.

Edit-west let me know how you like the BE edition, I am curious to here your opinion.

Edited by GrendelsDad

Just wondering if all is going well with the use of the Pimax and Nolo after the dust settled with the updates.

nope, I can\t make my Pimax B1 work with BoS.

The image is deformed..

I wonder if anyone has managed to have the game work well with Pimax.

Any ideas ?

Hmmm ...

60fps is a recipe for nausea. There's a REASON why Oculus and HTC stay well above that and that's WHY their resolution is lower to make sure it happens on viable PCs of last year. This is fundamental. I flick my view in any direction and it is as smooth as silk, always.

Also the reduced fov is crazy. The VIVE and RIFT are already below where they should be for an immersive experience in my opinion and there's NO way a manufacturer should make it even worse!

I've spent about 100 hours flying IL-2 missions with my RIFT, it's compromised but nonetheless superb and I'll never go back to 2D non-VR ever.

Edited by Lensman

Hmmm ...

60fps is a recipe for nausea. There's a REASON why Oculus and HTC stay well above that and that's WHY their resolution is lower to make sure it happens on viable PCs of last year. This is fundamental. I flick my view in any direction and it is as smooth as silk, always.

Also the reduced fov is crazy. The VIVE and RIFT are already below where they should be for an immersive experience in my opinion and there's NO way a manufacturer should make it even worse!

I've spent about 100 hours flying IL-2 missions with my RIFT, it's compromised but nonetheless superb and I'll never go back to 2D non-VR ever.

I am with you there. Since VR was implemented into this sim, I have flown:

Both parts of the Stalingrad campaign.

Ivan's War campaign.

Blazing Steppe campaign.

122 mission so far into a PWCG Campaign.

Can't seem to get enough of this sim now!

mirq, is your startup.cfg set to readonly? Shouldn't.

Did you enter the correct IPD value in the startup.cfg, and what about or_width and or_height? I suggest you talk to Grendelsdad and copy his settings and values for this. The latter two should be affected by SteamVR's SS slider (try to only alter SS in SteamVR or you might get artifacts like warped picture, or stuff not rendering at the side of your vision, etc.).

mirq, is your startup.cfg set to readonly? Shouldn't.

Did you enter the correct IPD value in the startup.cfg, and what about or_width and or_height? I suggest you talk to Grendelsdad and copy his settings and values for this. The latter two should be affected by SteamVR's SS slider (try to only alter SS in SteamVR or you might get artifacts like warped picture, or stuff not rendering at the side of your vision, etc.).

Problem solved, thnx.

Salutations,

Six months later.... any updates on performance of the Pimax with IL2? Inquiring minds want to know. :salute:

9 hours ago, Thad said:

Salutations,

Six months later.... any updates on performance of the Pimax with IL2? Inquiring minds want to know. :salute:

Mine will be in tomorrow. I am new to VR just borrowed my friends Vive and now I am hooked. I will let you know.

Thanks... will be looking forward to it. Hopefully, it will work well with IL2 now. :salute:

On 4/16/2018 at 11:28 PM, Thad said:

Thanks... will be looking forward to it. Hopefully, it will work well with IL2 now. :salute:

Sorry to say but U am having some issues