Is there a way for the server to detect if the connecting client is running in VR?  If so, is it possible to force the server to only allow people who pass this check?

Would be cool to have a server where everyone is flying in VR.  Same head movement, viability limitations as everyone else. 

• Upvote 2

yes indeed this will be an important function. Its hard to fight against TrackIR Pilots

Is there a way for the server to detect if the connecting client is running in VR?  If so, is it possible to force the server to only allow people who pass this check?

Would be cool to have a server where everyone is flying in VR.  Same head movement, viability limitations as everyone else. 

How about a server for people flying by mouse only? I've heard it's hard for them to fight against joystick pilots.

If you choose to handicap yourself, you should deal with results yourself, too  :rolleyes: .

I wouldnt complain if mousers had their own server.

I too would like to fly with other VR pilots as its about the whole, vastly different experience.

Just my 2 pennies

you dont understand the difference. This is not a handicap, this is more immersion and realism as it is if you real fly a plane.

Also you can better handle your plane in VR, less arcadisch .

How about a server for people flying by mouse only? I've heard it's hard for them to fight against joystick pilots.

If you choose to handicap yourself, you should deal with results yourself, too  :rolleyes: .

i dont see a distinction between what other players are doing/using versus vr players. Are you suggesting that vr users are going to play differently because of their immersion? fear of death? 

if so i'm sorry but i'll have to burst your bubble on that one. 

I think if thats what you are after then your best bet is actually the dedi servers that take things to that level in their mechanics. eg TAW and Random Expert. You will find more like minded players on there because of the way the mechanics work not because of their use of trackir vs vr. 

Also, the game population barely supports consistently good numbers on more than about 5 servers in a primetime period from what i've seen. Adding in a server with some sort of restriction (which is impossible anyway afaik) would be pretty empty pretty much all the time imo. The biggest drawcard in online play is how populated a server is. Thats why we see the same 3-4 dominating the list most days. 

disclaimer: i have VR, used trackir previously. don't feel that my style of play has changed fundamentally on the servers i use. My playstyle depends on the server in question more than anything else

Edited by =WFPK=chappyj

sorry now i must smile.

What I meant was the immersion and the fair play with other if you are in a fight with an enemy. 

>> Are you suggesting that vr users are going to play differently because of their Immersion?

in my opinion yes - because you have to fight with motion sickness during hard maneuvers (which simulate a !!little!! bit G Forces in an other way)

and you havent the best sight as an TrackIR User. Also it makes a difference if you must move your head 110 degree (VR) to left or the right,

or as an TrackIR User with 5-10 degree to left or right.

You are right with dedi server such as WOL,TAW and RandomExpert. But also - The Track IR User havent the head movement.

I can life with it. The real difference is to know how to fight and be professional to handle maneuvers.

i dont see a distinction between what other players are doing/using versus vr players. Are you suggesting that vr users are going to play differently because of their immersion? fear of death? 

I think if thats what you are after then your best bet is actually the dedi servers that take things to that level in their mechanics. eg TAW and Random Expert. You will find more like minded players on there because of the way the mechanics work not because of their use of trackir vs vr. 

Also, the game population barely supports consistently good numbers on more than about 5 servers in a primetime period from what i've seen. Adding in a server with some sort of restriction (which is impossible anyway afaik) would be pretty empty pretty much all the time imo. The biggest drawcard in online play is how populated a server is. Thats why we see the same 3-4 dominating the list most days. 

disclaimer: i have VR, used trackir previously. don't feel that my style of play has changed fundamentally on the servers i use. My playstyle depends on the server in question more than anything else

Resolution = spotting ease.

Physical restrictions.  You literally have to twist yourself around in your chair to look behind you, vs barely moving your head in TIR.

Limited FOV.  

VR is a PHYSICAL experience and limits you in ways you're not limited with TIR.  

Resolution = spotting ease.

Physical restrictions.  You literally have to twist yourself around in your chair to look behind you, vs barely moving your head in TIR.

Limited FOV.  

VR is a PHYSICAL experience and limits you in ways you're not limited with TIR.  

i have used both. i now play exclusively with VR not trackir. Has it impacted on my ability vis a vis another player?  honestly. NO it has not. 

if anything i believe i have a slight advantage in vr compared to a trackir user. based on my experiences in both. 

in fact i would say that spotting is markedly easier in VR, although target ID is slightly harder.

Edited by =WFPK=chappyj
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

i have used both. i now play exclusively with VR not trackir. Has it impacted on my ability vis a vis another player?  honestly. NO it has not. 

if anything i believe i have a slight advantage in vr compared to a trackir user. based on my experiences in both. 

in fact i would say that spotting is markedly easier in VR, although target ID is slightly harder.

Didn't really used to play IL2 before VR, but I certainly found this in other sims: once I got used to it I was better in VR than with TIR. The biggest difference for me is that VR gives you such an intuitive sense of where things are that I almost never lose a contact in a fight now, with TIR it happened all the time. The other thing that it helps with a lot is gunnery, depth perception really helps there. The one that's harder is spotting (I think it's a bit harder), and target ID (which is noticeably harder). The target ID issue would be improved a lot if we were allowed just a little bit more zoom. VR is also tiring in a way that TIR just isn't. Even when you're accustomed to it, it's still quite taxing.

Edited by Tomsk

If a no icon VR only server does get legs, I say ban the Macchi :ph34r:

:banned:

I only had minor trouble picking them out before with TrackIR, usually leading to a long pursuit before ID, but in VR, very hard to pick.

I've only shot at two friendlies in 20 hours of VR Wings of liberty, and both have been a Macchi. To be fair, one had been attempted to be shot at by a few other 109's as well, but still. ;)

Edited by Tripwire

you dont understand the difference. This is not a handicap, this is more immersion and realism as it is if you real fly a plane.

Also you can better handle your plane in VR, less arcadisch .

After switching back and forth, I would say vr is an advantage..

After switching back and forth, I would say vr is an advantage..

I agree to spot contacts, but disagree for identification. Admittedly I've only been playing regularly since VR, but I usually have to see paint, before I can ID the contact, otherwise it's just an educated guess lol, which I quite often get wrong, certainly more often than I would like

I agree to spot contacts, but disagree for identification. Admittedly I've only been playing regularly since VR, but I usually have to see paint, before I can ID the contact, otherwise it's just an educated guess lol, which I quite often get wrong, certainly more often than I would like

Silhouettes, and if they don't yell at you when you shoot them they're bad.

• 3 years later...

I would love to have such a VR only server as an alternative with identification tags on. Not that serious, just to train dogfights with people with the same vr play style. For example: trackIR users check their six easy peasy for 10 seconds and I can't turn my head physically like that without break my neck or loose control over the flight path.

If there's an option I would like to setup a server like this...

47 minutes ago, MontanaZh said:

I would love to have such a VR only server as an alternative with identification tags on. Not that serious, just to train dogfights with people with the same vr play style. For example: trackIR users check their six easy peasy for 10 seconds and I can't turn my head physically like that without break my neck or loose control over the flight path.

If there's an option I would like to setup a server like this...

..check this one here, works like a charm...

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/67985-simple-tool-to-check-your-six/

13 hours ago, JimmySolarium_VR said:

..check this one here, works like a charm...

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/67985-simple-tool-to-check-your-six/

Thanks for that! But that was just an example and a bad one (see below). I like it that way because real pilots couldn't do that either.

6 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

If you think VR is a disadvantage and you value competitiveness over immersion, then don’t use VR in multiplayer. Nobody is forcing you to play in VR

That isn't about competitiveness. I play for fun & immersion and not for boring stats although I think I'm better with VR than with trackIR. But my problem is IDing an enemy with VR and it would be much more fun to play with markers. I can understand that if someone plays with a 4k flat screen markers are game breaking but that's why a separate server would be great.

5 hours ago, MontanaZh said:

But my problem is IDing an enemy with VR and it would be much more fun to play with markers.

There are servers which have markers (icons) enabled, so just play on those. 

The truth about this and other flight sims is that there just aren’t enough players online to give everyone their choice of options. There may be VR players who don’t want icons, and those who want VR with icons. You’d split up the player base too much. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Upvote 1