Jason_Williams

My experience with a 4K monitor and other good stuff.

I get 144 fps most of the time though :mellow:

With the specs below, in a heavy CPU situation like 8 bombers all on the runway, max graphics, grass distance etc. I get 45-60 FPS. For that situation it's all limited by the CPU so the resolution doesn't matter. Free flights where the GPU is the limit I get much higher and the difference between 1080p and 4K would be really pronounced.

Edited by SharpeXB

IL2 in 4k is gorgeous !! Il2 in VR though wins. I think I'm addicted and it's all down to the VR implementation. How did you guys get around the nausea problem, I've flown for hours upon hours in VR with IL2 and not felt any nausea even once. I have felt it eventually using VR with almost every other Fsim I have tried, but not IL2. Well done !!

IL2 in 4k is gorgeous !! Il2 in VR though wins. I think I'm addicted and it's all down to the VR implementation. How did you guys get around the nausea problem, I've flown for hours upon hours in VR with IL2 and not felt any nausea even once. I have felt it eventually using VR with almost every other Fsim I have tried, but not IL2. Well done !!

Indeed, they have really take the VR implementation and knocked it out of the park.

I am extremely impressed and very happy with it!

Addicted? Yep. I've now become an IL-2 VR evangelist. 17 years ago when we surpassed the 1Ghz barrier, I talked of future 5Ghz chips and photo-realism in gaming, as if that were the end game, the holy grail of gaming. VR was never on my radar. Oh my gosh. :)

• Upvote 1

I would have to disagree with those that say VR and IL-2 have no related nausea effect.  I don't have VR and every day that goes by with me missing out that I don't have VR with IL-2, makes me sick just thinking about it.

• Upvote 4

Messing around trying to troubleshoot one of my Ju52 missions - I'm still floored by BoS at 4K with this IPS panel.

Even the menu screen looks vastly more rich than it did before.

The color rendition is just outstanding, deep blacks, textures looking how they're meant to look....not something I'd be seeing with a TN panel.

A question for you 4K people.  My 1080 Ti will be here on Monday and I really want to upgrade to 4K but for flight simming this might not be ideal.  At 4k wouldn't you need a pretty large monitor to see the dots?  Meaning the new HDR panels due out soon are 27 inch but my concern is that isn't a big enough monitor.  Wouldn't you need 32 or bigger?  My thought was to go 27 inch but 1440 rez not 4K.

i5 3570k @ 4.5 ghz

16 GB Ram

Currently running 1080p 24 inch monitor

I also have the RIFT CV1 which I love

A question for you 4K people. My 1080 Ti will be here on Monday and I really want to upgrade to 4K but for flight simming this might not be ideal. At 4k wouldn't you need a pretty large monitor to see the dots? Meaning the new HDR panels due out soon are 27 inch but my concern is that isn't a big enough monitor. Wouldn't you need 32 or bigger? My thought was to go 27 inch but 1440 rez not 4K.

i5 3570k @ 4.5 ghz

16 GB Ram

I have 27" 1440 and see the dots, after I got my 4k... No way to turn your brain off..4k is 28".

No visible lines dots or anything. But can't wait for vr headsets coming in 6 months!!!

Edited by TunaEatsLion

Guest deleted@30725

Anyone remember 14 inch 640x480 monitors?  We've come a long way.

Freaking 17inch crt monitors. Best thing tho when you fail in game punching one does more damage to your hand than screen!

A question for you 4K people.  My 1080 Ti will be here on Monday and I really want to upgrade to 4K but for flight simming this might not be ideal.  At 4k wouldn't you need a pretty large monitor to see the dots?  Meaning the new HDR panels due out soon are 27 inch but my concern is that isn't a big enough monitor.  Wouldn't you need 32 or bigger?  My thought was to go 27 inch but 1440 rez not 4K.

i5 3570k @ 4.5 ghz

16 GB Ram

I'm not sure what you're asking.

4K @ 27" is spectacular in this sim.

I have a 4770k , 16GB RAM, and a 970 GTX.  What kind of experience can I expect in this sim with VR?  Is it adequate to experience the love?

I have a 4770k , 16GB RAM, and a 970 GTX. What kind of experience can I expect in this sim with VR? Is it adequate to experience the love?

LOL

It's more like first date from you except to much ;)

I have a 4770k , 16GB RAM, and a 970 GTX. What kind of experience can I expect in this sim with VR? Is it adequate to experience the love?

Both your cpu and gpu are borderline minimum/don't, for il2 in VR.

With a rift it will work on balanced settings. You will rarely reach the desired 90fps but chug along at 45fps with asw active. Asw will give you a smooth experience but also create some annoying artifacts you can read lot's about on this forum. If you plan on upgrading anyway, go for it. It will be like loosing you virginity again, even with your current hardware. Not saying there's anything wrong with being a virgin if that's the case.

I recently started out with VR on a similar rig and know this very well. To get yours working better I suggest buying an ssd if you haven't already, turn off cpu hyper threading/boost and OC that cpu to +4.0 ghz. In il2 cpu performance matters, a lot. After that just get as much of a Gpu as the bank allows. 1070 at least, preferably a 1080.

Both your cpu and gpu are borderline minimum/don't, for il2 in VR.

With a rift it will work on balanced settings. You will rarely reach the desired 90fps but chug along at 45fps with asw active. Asw will give you a smooth experience but also create some annoying artifacts you can read lot's about on this forum. If you plan on upgrading anyway, go for it. It will be like loosing you virginity again, even with your current hardware. Not saying there's anything wrong with being a virgin if that's the case.

I recently started out with VR on a similar rig and know this very well. To get yours working better I suggest buying an ssd if you haven't already, turn off cpu hyper threading/boost and OC that cpu to +4.0 ghz. In il2 cpu performance matters, a lot. After that just get as much of a Gpu as the bank allows. 1070 at least, preferably a 1080.

Thanks for the response...  Yeah, I've tried VR via the Samsung VR using an S7 and it is amazing so I can only imagine it for a flight sim being incredible...  I'm thinking of waiting until next gen stuff rolls out later this year and get a 1080Ti (or something faster if avail) and the fastest CPU avail then.  Perhaps in as few as a few months the first foveated rendering HMDs will be sold to consumers as well and be ready to go...

Edited by Caveman

i5 3570k @ 4.5 ghz

16 GB Ram

i switched from 24" 1080p to 1440p/144Hz 27" and it is amazing, with i7 6700k and gtx1070 i have no performance problem, if you have money 4k 32" i guess will provide orgasm. 4k on less than 32" i think would be unnecessary and waste of money, big screen is a big screen after all.

i switched from 24" 1080p to 1440p/144Hz 27" and it is amazing, with i7 6700k and gtx1070 i have no performance problem, if you have money 4k 32" i guess will provide orgasm. 4k on less than 32" i think would be unnecessary and waste of money, big screen is a big screen after all.

This.

40" is a good option too. Even with a screen of this size you will have a better pixel density than your 24" at 1080P

This.

40" is a good option too. Even with a screen of this size you will have a better pixel density than your 24" at 1080P

40" can cause sunburns or chickens to layout from egg  :P

4k on less than 32" i think would be unnecessary and waste of money

Umm...no.

4K @ 27" is stunning, and is not the equivalent of 1440p @ 27"

This.

That's another upgrade I hope to do for those times I'm not doing VR or I'm playing something without VR...  Something between 32" and 40" monitor would be amazing...  I'm at 1920 x 1080 on a 24" monitor...  I'd think going up to 32" with a very much increased pixel density would be a sweet spot where I could drop any AA, etc...  and still have a razor sharp IQ.

Umm...no.

4K @ 27" is stunning, and is not the equivalent of 1440p @ 27"

4k at 27" is stunning, 4k on big 32" screen is more stunning, where did you read i compared it with 1440p 27"?

Edited by redribbon

5k on 42" may be more stunning still, but I'm not trying to play the my monitor is more stunning than your monitor game. :) I'm just refuting the statement that 4K at under 32" is a waste of money.

I just wish I could give IL-2 a test-drive in VR. My last (and only) experience with modern VR was checking out (I think) Warthunder at a con where a buddy had brought his then "early access" Oculus. I remember being impressed with the immersion but I also remember not being able to read most instruments in the cockpit and thinking that I'd probably get a splitting headache after 30 mins with this thing due to the resolution.

So for me it'll probably be either 1440p or 4k instead of VR. As awesome as the VR-experience is, I just wouldn't feel comfortable dishing out all that money on a headset and the graphics card I'd need to run it. A bigger, higher res monitor OTOH would come in handy not just in IL-2 but in other games and in day-to-day use of my PC.

S.

1 hour ago, 1Sascha said:

I just wish I could give IL-2 a test-drive in VR. My last (and only) experience with modern VR was checking out (I think) Warthunder at a con where a buddy had brought his then "early access" Oculus. I remember being impressed with the immersion but I also remember not being able to read most instruments in the cockpit and thinking that I'd probably get a splitting headache after 30 mins with this thing due to the resolution.

Yes, you would not believe the difference (especially when looking inside the cockpit). It really shows the amazing 3D work they've done with all the buttons and dials. 6Its very hard to appreciate it in a monitor.

On 4/29/2017 at 7:12 PM, Jason_Williams said:

I'm running on an older I7 chip with a GTX 980 and 12Gb of RAM. Frames are great, always pushing 60 in most situations maxed out graphics.

Hey Jason, all that with 4K ??

I manage to stick with 60 FPS most of the time, 1080p only, and "High" settings. You have my rig in signature.

Then maybe TIR5 + FFB2 combo still is a problem, even if your team improved things with last builds ? (And knowing I applied recommended settings, like ticking 4K textures though my screen is a 1080p, 60Hz for 24"..)

Edited by Solmyr

On 4/29/2017 at 9:28 PM, Jason_Williams said:

I'm not sure if that i5 and a 960 can get it done on Ultra at 4K. Maybe an i5 with a 960 can pull off Balanced in 4K alright. By upping the res you can cut back on the filters like SS and AA so that saves some energy to push more frames. It all depends on what you feel is a playable FPS. I like to peg 60 as much as possible, but some users don't care as long as it is above 24.

The good news is that with our recent tweaks buying good hardware gives a good boost and we're not relying on older tech that may not be supported.

Jason 

Gosh darn it Jason, do we need to start a GoFundMe for you to get some mid to upper range current PC to revel in the glory of Il2 BoX in??

Right, where do we start.  Hmmm, Nvidia 1080Ti - AMD Ryzen 2 - 32Gb Ram - Pimax 8K and who is supplying a decent 4K monitor? 😁

I have my Pimax waiting for me in another country and can not wait but it will be paired to a 1070 Max-Q laptop so who knows but who cares as this is the best WW2 simulation there is.  I also like the Eastern Front as I appreciate it is one of the most important and sad parts of what was WW2.

• Haha 1

Had a 1440, 144mhz IPS monitor for 2 years now and love it. But once I got my VR headset, I never went back to using my monitor for playing Box. Though I have a new 4k 55" IPS 100mhz TV I could try it on 🤔

It's all down to personal preference in the end.

19 hours ago, w00dy said:

Had a 1440, 144mhz IPS monitor for 2 years now and love it. But once I got my VR headset, I never went back to using my monitor for playing Box. Though I have a new 4k 55" IPS 100mhz TV I could try it on 🤔

It's all down to personal preference in the end.

I'm quite in different after trying VR , I'm glad to go back to my IPS 3444x1440 34' @100hz gsync monitor :)

Edited by 307_Tomcat

On 4/29/2017 at 7:12 PM, Jason_Williams said:

I'm running on an older I7 chip with a GTX 980 and 12Gb of RAM. Frames are great, always pushing 60 in most situations maxed out graphics.

Prolly @Jason_Williams might not come back to this thread, but could someone explain me if we should understand that he achieved those results in 4K ??

Edited by Solmyr

That's how it ran in April of 2017 on one of my medium rigs at the time. I wouldn't have posted it if it didn't do it.

Jason

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

That's how it ran in April of 2017 on one of my medium rigs at the time. I wouldn't have posted it if it didn't do it.

Jason

I didn't want to bring the doubt on your talk, Jason, I just wanted to be sure I had understood you the right way. :) Because I for sure couldn't run such a 4K setting with my similar rig.. 🙄 So that I was looking at the famous "FFB2 rig + TIR5" combo..

Edited by Solmyr

On 1/10/2019 at 6:17 AM, 1Sascha said:

So for me it'll probably be either 1440p or 4k instead of VR. As awesome as the VR-experience is, I just wouldn't feel comfortable dishing out all that money on a headset and the graphics card I'd need to run it. A bigger, higher res monitor OTOH would come in handy not just in IL-2 but in other games and in day-to-day use of my PC.

S.

Having played both Warthunder and IL-2 BoBp on the same Occulus Rift, I can say that I can read the instruments in IL-2 when I can't in Warthunder. 

Il-2 also has a push button zoom function that I've mapped for looking at the smaller instruments. 

That said, I'm definitely looking forward to 4K IPS VR when ever that becomes a reality :dance: