Sign in to follow this  
NewfieDunfielder

Escape key problems?

Anyone else having trouble with flying a mission only to land back at base and the escape key doesn't work? What a bummer after flying a successful hr long mission! Has happened lots lately. I also hammered a il2 from point blank cruising on his 6 with machine gun and 20 mm. Landed it all on him for no smoke no leaks no damage wired? Kept on following him slowly on his six just pulverizing him to no avail until out of ammo. Something ain't right.

Edited by Dunfielder

Two different issues here.

First, no issues with the ESC key here. I have had it happen once or twice in my history with the sim where I couldn't bring up the map, the escape menu, or much of anything. It was definitely some sort of bug but not repeatable and I've since seen that one more time and not any time in the last six months.

Second, it's pretty vitally important if this indestructible IL-2 was online or offline. Was he really taking no damage or was that a bit of hyperbole? If online it could be a network issue that sometimes happens. We've seen indestructible aircraft occur before. Never in single player to my knowledge. I've hit IL-2s with quite a lot of firepower and while they were damaged and did crash... it took some time. Some many not have the patience to wait it out! :) They are tough aircraft and pouring fire into the direct 6 may not be the most effective method. I find the wings are more vulnerable and I sometimes try and go for an ammo explosion. If you can penetrate any of the armor and get to damaging the engine that works too... but it has to usually be from the top. Or aim for the radiator and wait for them to crash.

I've experienced the ESC key problem a couple of times since the VR update.

I hit that il2 everywhere wings engine you name it. All I had to do was nose up and come down on him. I was playing sp campaign

I hit that il2 everywhere wings engine you name it. All I had to do was nose up and come down on him. I was playing sp campaign

Well... we'd probably need to see the track to figure it out.

Unfortunately I didn't record that run but it happened on a mission where the escape key glitched out maybe was linked to that?

The only time I've had problems with Esc was because of the 3rd party software for the Saitek X55. I had a macro running in some dial axes and while the keypress is still happening the Esc key wont register. I had to set my dials back to neutral and then press Esc.

As I said before SP campaign

As you have it more often: Record every flight with an ingame track. If the bug occurs again this needs to be brought forward to the devs. Apart from that: Try a reinstall but save your input files first (there is a list of the files needed somewhere posted by han I think).

Usually when the ESC key doesn´t work (for me) I have forgot to flip some contact to neutral! Most often the flaps key is sending it´s input. My Thrustmaster Warthog flap key is set to up or down intrferring with other input. It´s not a bug per se, but a quirk of the HOTAS program and it seems to affect only the ESC command!

Edited by FlyingH

I had nothing running apart from Il-2. I've never experienced this before now. I always play SP. This happened once on a tank mission and once on an air mission. I haven't had any trouble with invincible planes though.

Usually when the ESC key doesn´t work (for me) I have forgot to flip some contact to neutral! Most often the flaps key is sending it´s input. My Thrustmaster Warthog flap key is set to up or down intrferring with other input. It´s not a bug per se, but a quirk of the HOTAS program and it seems to affect only the ESC command!

I'm using a hotas x. But never had this issue before 2.009d. Before I came across the invincible il2 i shot down a lagg3. It was strange and funny at the same time. My brother was pissing himself laughing you see and hear the hits all over the plane but nada. When I shot down the lagg it should have been task complete but it wasn't. I knew it was gonna screw me. Shot everything into the il2 got nothing for it. Flew back to base landed my f4 and the escape key would not work had to use task manager to quit game.

Edited by Dunfielder

Hi. I had escape key issues earlier with this sim when it would not work. I found that I could use an Alt/Tab key sequence and when I reentered the game it could be made to work. Lately, I have experienced no issues with the escape key. You might try this method and see what results you get. 

Regards

Make sure that you have no active switch/axis of some sort that "holds down" any other key when you press 'Esc'. I routinely forget my flap switch in the down position, or my prop pitch at max or min setting (I have the end position of my prop pitch lever also act as a key, for the sake of for example the Pe-2) and all of those block the 'Esc' key from functioning.

I do have the rudder axis on the throttle but it isn't set up for anything and I'm not pressing it. Nothing is on or down that I'm aware of. I've found that if I wait a min or two after landing it exits the mission

It seems like it usually happens once you pass the exit point but many times I bring up the commands menu and then it doesn't work and I have to tilde key out of the menu

Edited by Dunfielder

I always have escape key issues if I've used the commands menu (where you issue commands to your wingmen). The work around is the alt-tab out and then back again and the escape key will work.

My issue with the ESC key is exactly the same as what FlyingH is experiencing.

Well, thanks for the Alt-Tab or CTRL+ALT+Canc, Task Manager tips, I've figured out them already on my own.

But the problem here is that my screen (the screen in which the game is running), stays black when I Alt-Tab into it again.

I can't see the mouse pointer anymore to go click to End Mission. Thisway the flight record is lost, as for the xp points, the downed enemies... so frustrating.

Please fix this somewhere in the future.

I can confirm it happens mostly when I give orders to wingmen, for example RTB (F7).

VGA RX480 8GB with driver Driver 17.10.3211.1031., OS Windows 7 64, Steam WITHOUT overlay enabled. TrackIR 5.

Thanks

On 4/27/2017 at 11:48 PM, FlyingH said:

FlyingH: You saved my mission. The Flaps Key was indeed activated. AS I put it on neutral, the ESC key worked. THX ! ~S~