Actually the H-6 set became operational in August 1942, but was put in large scale use in 1943 (based on manufacturing serial numbers of aircraft like G4M and B5N, it was since March 1943)  with a total number of built beyond 2000 models, but regardless - chances of anyone returning during Okinawa development to add such features to Kate are slim, as a modification one can turn on/off on his server, its about as good as any other. We already have folks turning off things like mirrors, so whats the problem ? And certainly it was in greater use than Mc 202 gunpods.

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi

Jason's comments on SimHQ regarding PTO theaters. I'll buy anything Jason and team markets. 

Pooch,

The air war in the Pacific was different. What can I say? Do users really want a Solomons Career over Carrier warfare? That's literally the choice I have to make with my resources. Ideally I'd have both, but I need a much larger budget. However, I have taken such push back into consideration and I'm re-evaluating what we can do in this regard. 

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4384305/re-battle-of-midway-game#Post4384305

• Upvote 1

Interesting post from Jason.

Of course, the unfortunate problem is that most users want a Solomons Career over with Carrier warfare.

Kinda makes it hard for a small team like theirs to please such a tough crowd.  I'm glad they have thick skins and a devotion to their craft.  I just hope enough folks are willing to buy enough of their stuff to make it possible to keep expanding the dream :)

Jason's comments on SimHQ regarding PTO theaters. I'll buy anything Jason and team markets.

Pooch,

The air war in the Pacific was different. What can I say? Do users really want a Solomons Career over Carrier warfare? That's literally the choice I have to make with my resources. Ideally I'd have both, but I need a much larger budget. However, I have taken such push back into consideration and I'm re-evaluating what we can do in this regard.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4384305/re-battle-of-midway-game#Post4384305

Though there is nothing definitive in that quote it is both exciting and proof positive that the new management style under Jason is very responsive to customer feedback. I always thought a three part Pacific would be better or, lacking that, a mid-war islands campaign would be better than such a massive jump in time and tech to Okinawa.

European here (Belgian living in Spain), and the Pacific is by far my favourite theater of war.

Okay, it's become a close second to WWI in recent years, largely because Rise of Flight, but I became a true combat flightsimmer largely thanks to CFS2 and Pacific Fighters.

There's something magical about carrier ops with the Grumman Iron Works.

Here's a 12 year old postcard from my old squadron: BM357. Peace on you wherever you are Preacher, MobHit, DrGlow and many others. 

xpIlGmN.png

WOW -- Blasto from the Pasto!!!       Epic fun times -- the old Blazing Magnums 357 !!!

• Upvote 1

What a shock announcement for IL2 development going to Europe 1945,  WW1 RoF upgrade, and Tank simulator! its saddening to Pacific fans  :(      Any WW2 Pacific title would have brought some new buyers/players,  and with much smaller projects than the new plans........

#1 Far Southern Solomon Islands - Guadacanal  ~10/1942 , (using a 'warp'  for japanese planes to get travel to/from Rabaul airfield).  No carriers needed but anti-shipping missions are there.    Minimum plane set is A6M2, G4M1  vs  F4F-4, P-39D(400), SBD-3, TBF-1.

#2 South East New Guinea ~6/1942, basically Lae to Port Moresby,  Minimum plane set A6M2, G4M1  vs  P-40E, P-39D(400), B-26B.

#3 China/Burma/India border triangle Loiwing/Myitkyina/Imphal, incredible set of aircraft served here 1940-45 from Brewster Buffalo, Ki-27, AVG P-40 to P-51D, Spitfire VIII and Ki-84.

Edited by taly01

None of this changes the biggest hurdle the team faces in the Pacific. Locating and interpreting original Japanese wartime aircraft documentation is the challenge. Warships are only part of the equation.

No, I dont think so. It consists of original parts mostly and would have to go through severe and expensive overhaul to actually restore it to such state. I presume many elements would have to be replaced with new ones made specifically for that aircraft. 

Famous Kermit Weeks is working on getting one Ki-61-I into the air, sometimes he posts something on facebook, but I doubt it will fly any time soon.  

Well it seemed like they did take care of the corrotion and the engine, but to get it airworthy it probably need to take off all the panels and xray the construction. The engine would probably be a allison and such things to make it easier to maintain serviceable. In Norway Museum restored planes are fit to fly, but not airworthy. It is absolutely not the same thing, museumrestored even fit to fly ones are much cheaper and less timeconsuming. 

Another thing worth mentioning, is do we really see these rare birds fly? If they crash, nothing left for next generation. Personally I am happy for the few surviving JU 87 and ME 410 do not fly.

Indeed the Ha-140 was essentially a license built DB 601.

There were three Ki-61s in New Zealand, one of which was being restored to flight status, the other two only for museum exhibition.

I dearly hope the National Museum of the USAF at Wright Field in Dayton Ohio gets one.  It's the only way I'll ever get to see one of my favorite planes in person.

No, Ha-40 was a license built Db 601Aa but with Mitsubishi Fuel Injection Pump, as Daimler-Benz was allowed to sell their engine license but Bosch was prohibited to do the same with their Fuel Injection System. Thus engines also had slightly different characteristics, I also believe Japanese tweaked some power settings. 

Ha-140 was a Japanese attempt to increase power and it was really something between DB 601E and early DB 605, however it proved to be quite unreliable. 

Looks like there's another vid of this plane after the assembly.

Oh, so it's the Chiran example, with its paint stripped, for a second I thought they found and restored another one.

As for the Allison - if one of the US museums managed to fit one into a flyable bf-109 this year without changing airplane's look, one could do it with any other DB- or Ha-powered plane as well :).

• Upvote 1

No, its not possible (or would require significant changes) due to the fact that this aircraft airframe concept is based on Heinkel 100 and engine was not attached to engine mount but directly to fuselage. This allowed to lower drag as whole engine compartment was smaller. To fit a different kind of engine in such situation would be VERY expensive. 

The Allison idea of mine was a shot in blindness , not a qualitied one, it is the most used watercooled engine for WW2 era aircraft restoration because of price and availeability 

I don't think, that it should be airworthy. As you all know, this is a very rare thing and if it will be in the same situation, like this P-47N in 2002,

p47-4553436.jpg

it will be a real crime, imho.

I am shure this has been stated before...

Why not do A Solomons Campagine without Carriers, and then after its starts to generate a Revenue stream, add the Carriers later, at which point most of teh Airraft that were at Miday would be in teh can and u could easly do a MidWay folow up, Creating a Pacific Battles series, that could include:

Malaya and the DEI

The Philippines

Burma

Okinawa

China

New Gunie

exc... Don't bite off to much at once

A good Solomons Campagine would only need:

A6m2

D3A1

B5N2

G4m

P39

F4F

SBD

B25

To start with...

Edited by BRADYS555

Because Midway is the most recognized battle of the Pacific, contains all of the iconic AC of the period/theater known to the general masses, and was chosen specifically for that reason. You can argue about the logic all day but that's it in a nutshell.

• Upvote 1

Well there’s not much Point in arguing and you could go round and round about that but midway only took a day, Guadalcanal and the solomons campaign lasted for months and involved A lot more aircraft and included carriers you wouldn’t need ti model it with carriers to make it work of course

Midway just seems sort of boring to me given the potential that the Solomons offer and it just seems so much simpler to model the lower Solomon’s as a starter map And it has so much more potential to grow then midway would because again it only took a day

Well there’s not much Point in arguing and you could go round and round about that but midway only took a day, Guadalcanal and the solomons campaign lasted for months and involved A lot more aircraft and included carriers you wouldn’t need ti model it with carriers to make it work of course

Midway just seems sort of boring to me given the potential that the Solomons offer and it just seems so much simpler to model the lower Solomon’s as a starter map And it has so much more potential to grow then midway would because again it only took a day

Operation Bodenplatte was only 1 day too. Seems they go for the iconic name to draw people in and cover a wider range of operations in the area in about a year timeframe. Wouldn't doubt that the battle of Midway would include Wake Island and some other areas of note. 

Operation Bodenplatte was only 1 day too. Seems they go for the iconic name to draw people in and cover a wider range of operations in the area in about a year timeframe. Wouldn't doubt that the battle of Midway would include Wake Island and some other areas of note. 

I totally get Midway is iconic but maybe I am just to much of a history buff to not see that for what it is compared to Guadalcanal/ the Solomon's, that's where the Pacific was one and lost really, and I think for many in the states Both are readily identified as a big part of the war.

Part of my argument may be flawed however in that I am assuming that the Midway modeling of CV's and lots of different Ships would be harder than just making a map of the Solomon's to get it started, Open Ocean cant be hard to model map wise, and Midways is tiny so is wake of course but their a long way apart.

Really the Solomon's are HUGE compared to even the Kuban distance wise, that is if u want to use historic Airfields, their are some in the central Solomon's that were pretty close though, mire 43 ish time frame wise though.

Bodenplatte is one day yes, but the map and the time frame suggest a wider scope really the map will reasonably enable a lot of varied match ups and a ton of potential different planes, Midway is very limiting with regard to that.

However again it may be easer for them to Model the Ships and an open Ocean Map than it would be to Model the Solomon's and No ships to start with.

Realistically again the isue is that with Midway their are very few Japanese planes that could be molded, if U include float planes like the F1M and the A13E, even possibly the E7K or E8N, you can flesh it out a bit, but really just he Jake or Pete would be enough.

IF they include possibly the Planes from HOSHO and ZUIHO, you could include the A5M and the B4Y1, the A5M would be cool as it was used in China and would work for that as well.

Brewster's in addition to Wildcats would be cool, and the Vindicator as well, and a few TBF's were their but No army planes from either side really, 4 B26's and the B17's Don't I think count really, and the Devastator was their of course but its torpedo's never really worked at all so idk how they would model that.

With The Solomon's u can get away from the Devastator issue and model the TBF/TBM and while the Torpedo's still sucked the weapon system did in the end wind up working., and of course their are many more Army Planes u can add, including planes from New Zeeland and Australia.

Most of this is Obvious, but I guess it just comes down to the fact it might be easer for the them to model ships and open ocean than a Map of the Solomon's.

While I'm with you (and also expressed similar thoughts several times), please consider that the plans for a Pacific release are not yet finalized, and that Midway is just a title to attract customers, while the final product will probably contain more than pure Midway (for the very reasons you listed above).

Do you know why some late-war Japanese ACs have strange performance data?

Rated altitude of Ha-45-21 is about 6000m.

N1K2-J max speed usually lists as 594kph/5600m.

It is weird that max speed was achieved at the altitude lower than rated.

They are not strange, its that source indicating them are not very good. Ki-84 using similar engine had a top speed of 624 kph at 6550 meters, but engine was not operated at full rpm. N1K2-J according to provisional manual made 315 kts at 3000 m and 330 kts at 6000 m, which is still below engine fth.

See the following discussion for some detail: http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=14827.0

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi