Sign in to follow this  
Nibbio

performance

What do you recommend?

I got a Oculus, GTX1070 and a nice CPU.

- Better to use "Dynamic res factor" below 1,0 or trying to lowering gfx settings to reach constant 90fps?

- Use ingame AA or Supersampling through "steamvr.vrsettings"? (I set 1,3 Supersampling)

- ASW always to OFF only when not using "Dynamic res factor", or set it always to OFF with BOS?

Would be great if anybody tells me what works best with BOS. THX

On my rig ( specs in sig), I run on Ultra with 4XAA set in game and SS ( Pixel Density) set for my Oculus of 1.5, ASW enabled. Dynamic Res off ( set to 1.0) Oftentimes I am at 90 fps, the times it does drop down below into ASW of 45 fps, it is still very smooth and looks good with only minor artifact namely a little squiggly to the gunsight recticle. Not enough to bother me though. BoS on VR really handles ASW very well in the Rift. 

And the graphics look gorgeous to me.

1CGS really did a superb job with this implementation for VR, I really was astonished at how high I could run the graphics and get this kind of performance.

Edited by dburne

Thanks for your reply. I will test these settings. Do you use OculusTrayTool or Steam to set the SS and in which sequence you start OculusHome/TrayTool/Steam/BOS?

Edited by Tom25briklebritt

Thanks for your reply. I will test these settings. Do you use OculusTrayTool or Steam to set the SS and in which sequence you start OculusHome/TrayTool/Steam/BOS?

I use Oculus Tray Tool to set my Pixel Density. I set a profile for BoS with a Pixel Density of 1.5 and ASW on Auto.

I do not even start Oculus Home anymore, when I did I would start Oculus Home ( it would start when I put on my headset). I then would launch BoS and Steam VR would launch with it. I do not bother with starting the regular Steam as I do not have the Steam version of the game.

Recently discovered I could set the OculusClient.exe to " run as administrator", and then Oculus Home will only start when I launch it - rather than automatically starting when putting on headset as it used to. Figured can't hurt to not have that extra layer of Oculus Home running in the background when flying BoS...

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29586-how-prevent-oculus-home-starting-steam-vr-games/

Edited by dburne

My theory, but don't quote me on this>

Rift software measures headroom, and if it believes you won't reach 90 with enough headroom left in reserve. It will lower you to 45fps and kick in ASW. So, if your at 45fps with Asw on, and say a 46% gpu load. It has not deemed you worthy of 90+reserve and you'll be stuck at 45fps.

And yes multiplayer on a busy server I find much more demanding than offline playing.

On a side note, I seem to get a performance increase when turning off hyper/threading. Can someone with an I7 doublecheck me on this? I'm positive it's not my imagination but curious if it has something to do with my rig or with il2 in general.

I think coconut is on to something...  This comes from a thread poor performance 1080 Ti. 

"

Actually, there is a difference between flat mode and VR. In flat mode I can reach over 40% CPU utilization, if I leave frame rates unlocked. It's also rather unpleasant and stuttery when I do that, despite high FPS well above 100.

In VR with dynamic textures disabled (full), I tend to get stuck at 45 FPS with 60% GPU utilization and at most 30% CPU utilization.

In VR with dynamic textures enabled (0.5), CPU utilization goes up a bit. Not all the way up to flat mode, but between 30 and 40%. FPS stays up at 90. Until it can't keep up (flying low over the outskirts of Moscow), in which case it goes down to 45 and lower CPU utilization.

What I think is going on is that the devs have implemented a throttling mechanism in VR to keep stutters away at all costs. There is one we know of, the dynamic resolution thing, and maybe others we don't know of"

I think there's another simpler explanation. It's not "pre-throttling", it's just vsync. When it takes a little too long to prepare a frame, say 11ms + 1ms, the runtime will use ASW for the first frame using the previous frame, and it will use the late frame for the second frame. I know that's clear as mud, so here is a little piece of ASCII art:

Frame nr.  | 0   | 1   | 2  |
Rendering  |**** |*******   |
Frame seen | 0   |ASW-0| 1  |

Notice how the rendering line shows that CPU usage isn't full. That's because the CPU waits until the start of next frame before it starts rendering it. That's similar to what happens with rendering on monitors with VSync enabled.

In reality I think ASW kicks in even earlier than the frame's end, because it needs a bit of time to do its thing. That would explain why people see CPU utilization below half of what one could expect at full utilization, and still get low FPS.

I wonder if there is still room for performance improvements. Heck I have a card which should knock the snot of out this thing

I would assume so, especially when things like the HUD cause such a fps hit.

The fact remains if you rig can run 4k @60 fps without drops you should be able to get 90fps on Oculus/Vive. And that just isnt the case right now, regardless of settings.