• Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
    • Saitek Cyborg Evo
    • Saitek Aviator
    • Microsoft Sidewinder FFB2
    • VKB-Sim Black Mamba
    • VKB-Sim Gladiator
    • CH Products Fighterstick and Throttle
    • Not in the list

Which Joystick(s) do you own? and which one do you think is the best Joystick for flying IL-2 BOS?

Edited by Europa

Have the Gladiator pro which is my current stick. And i have a MSFFB2 which is my old stick, but it's only collecting dust.

Grt M

Still using my years-old MSFFB2 and I love it.

I use a Saitek Cyborg Evo flightstick as my throttle. At center rest it's 50% throttle. Provides really good control, it's fun, lots of buttons, and it cost about $30. What's not to love?

Salutations,

I use The Thrustmaster FCS HOTAS but it was not listed. :salute:

Salutations,

I use The Thrustmaster FCS HOTAS but it was not listed. :salute:

Thrustmaster T-16000M Flight Stick seems to be similar. Only without the Throttle. Sorry, I missed that.

Edited by Europa

Made my cross at the VKB-Sim Gladiator, in fact it is the european version, SPEEDLINK AIRROW.

EDIT: Just saw, there is also the possibility to vote for the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, which I also use, whem flying bombers, The Cessna version of it.

And my old Thrustmaster T Flight Stick X Hotas, retired for the AIRROW.

Edited by Yogiflight

I've *just* retired My HOTAS Cougar which I bought purely for IL2 the first time round. Have a warthog now and Crosswind Pedals ordered for the end of the week.

Far too much money spent but they'll last me another 10 years.

Built myself a Frankenforce stick from the CH fighterstick i had... (FFB CH-stick based on a hybrid of CH Fighterstick, CH ForceFX and some Logitech FFB stick i forgot the name of)

works excellently in IL2 :) 

Built myself a Frankenforce stick from the CH fighterstick i had... (FFB CH-stick based on a hybrid of CH Fighterstick, CH ForceFX and some Logitech FFB stick i forgot the name of)

works excellently in IL2 :)

Hawkeye,

I have one Force FX  - but as I am not too "fan" of Force Feedback, remain in shelf collecting dust  - but think about in do this.

A question, this Logitech board used (probable from Wingman Force 3D) require Logitech drivers or use Windows native HID drivers for install - you use Windows 10?

Hawkeye,

I have one Force FX  - but as I am not too "fan" of Force Feedback, remain in shelf collecting dust  - but think about in do this.

A question, this Logitech board used (probable from Wingman Force 3D) require Logitech drivers or use Windows native HID drivers for install - you use Windows 10?

Hi Sokol1, 

You're correct, it's the Wingman Force 3D. I THINK (although I don't remember for sure, since it's been a little while since i set it up) that I used the Vista x64 Logitech drivers and installed them on Windows 10 x64. Checking the driver info the drivers themselves are supplied by logitech at least. Generally it works fine, but occasionally I need to replug the stick on boot if the FFB is not detected. 

I would like to try to put a MS FFB board instead of the Logitech one if I can get my hands on one for reasonable cost - From what I've heard it doesn't have stepped force levels like the logitech, but smooth transitions which would be a nice addition. I also played with the idea of making my own FFB controller, but laziness and procrastination kicked in ;)

If you decide to go this route, I would recommend taking out the centering springs as well - to me they just get in the way and it feels kinda unrealistic. 

post-76902-0-41640500-1501861868_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hawkeye

Maxflightstick with CF grip and authentic Westland Whirlwind stick , Crosswind rudder pedals , 8 hotas authentic Throttle from 1942 bomber trainer , huey collective and panels from Apache 600 

And a Precision Flight simulator Yoke

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Saitek X55, it's a bit cheap in terms of quality. If you want something for more than 2 years dont get the X55.

I have Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Saitek x52 Pro and TM Hotas Warthog with 10cm extension and Warthog is the best stick i've ever used.

MS FFB2, combined with the HOTAS part of a TM T Flight X. UJR makes it one virtual joystick, and Joy2Key enables me to duplicate or triplicate the number of buttons. The rudder is DIY, using the controller of an old Logitech 3D stick.

Another user of the Thrustmaster FCS HOTAS. It's pretty good for all the price it was, although I'm tempted to add a saitek flight yoke as I mostly fly bombers, and maybe a throttle quadrant...

BRD N. It is the best thing imaginable provided you can pair it with a good grip(logitech extreme 3d pro). However it takes a lot of time for Baur to produce them and they take a lot of space in your room + you need to do a makeshift cockpit workplace(a chair will work here) at the minimum. + the assembly

Edited by Max_Damage

I have a Thrustmaster 16000M that I really like. It's well made and pretty inexpensive. It works lefty/righty too if that's a concern. I'd love to see one made with FFB but I'm sure that's a pipe dream.

I had to change my vote, to put X55 together with "Not on the list"....

After the latest bout of "tweaks and repairs" I did to my formerly very unsatisfactory stick, I now consider myself the owner of a almost entirely new device.

Based off and built from the original (shit) X55, A unique prototype model was born:  

The MoachTek..X55'PRO  

Lo and behold!

Edited by 19//Moach

VKB Gunfighter is the best, add it to the list!

I'm amazed with it's precision, quality and customization ability.

For il2 kg12 grip is perfect, for modern planes MCG grip.

Have the Gladiator pro which is my current stick. And i have a MSFFB2 which is my old stick, but it's only collecting dust.

Grt M

Same here.

Still using my old CH fighterstick/CH pedals combo, with a Saitek throttle quadrant. Also have a CH yoke. All a bit old fashioned now but it just keeps working.

• Upvote 1

I went for a T-Flight HOTAS X again in the end. For its price, it's a great stick. Enough buttons, adjustable resistance, and the rocker switch makes for a good rudder since I don't have pedals but don't get along with the twist stick.

In my opinion Thrustmaster cheap joystick´s is the one reccomended by most people, and based on the same expirience Saitek and Logitech joysticks should not be considered a permanent solution. In the early days of simulator there was a game kalled Hind, based on the famous helicopter. It was so cool. I bought myself a joystick, first one I saw , I was amazed there where such a thing . I flew very happy with it for many years, believing the Hind chopper simulator was a very realistic simulator.

Then I bought a "better" joystick and found out the Hind was actually easy to control. 

If you are used to cheap joystick´s they will be sufficient , if not . You can never go back on quality

I have the MS Sidewinder 2 (without FFB). I would like to change to a more modern joystick, but I didn't find a good one that have all the features the MS Sidewinder 2 has. Like the number of buttons you can customize, rudder with joystick, integrated throttle, etc. Other ones look cheaper and don't have a lot of new features to make me buy a new joystick.

I have the MS Sidewinder 2 (without FFB). I would like to change to a more modern joystick, but I didn't find a good one that have all the features the MS Sidewinder 2 has. Like the number of buttons you can customize, rudder with joystick, integrated throttle, etc. Other ones look cheaper and don't have a lot of new features to make me buy a new joystick.

T.16000M has more buttons (on base) than Sidewinder 2, is 12 against 4, in  grip is the same number: 4 + POV HAT,* throttle slider and twist rudder.

Their plus is use contactless HALL sensor in X, Y axis what warranty a more clean, stable signal.

On downsize T.16000M construction is not "solid" like in Sidewinders. 

* Even VKB Gladiator has "more" buttons, despite have on 3 buttons on grip (+ 13 on base) - against 4 of Sidewinder or T.16000M, because one of this 3 buttons in conveniently placed under little finger ("pinky") and can be used as "shift" for the 2 top buttons + POV HAT, so have 3 physical buttons + POV HAT + 6 "virtual buttons".

The typical set used for most simmers for a 4 buttons joystick is:

One button for MG, one for Cannon, one for Rockets and one for Bombs.

You can handle this in Gladiator 2 buttons: Button 1 fire MG, Button 2 fire Cannon (like in Bf 109 and some Russian fighters that use copy of same grip), holding "pinky" Button 1 fire Rockets, Button 2 drop Bombs - with a "safety" factor (pinky) that prevents drop bombs by "accident". :)

Bottom line is: if your Sidewinder is working OK - no spike in axes, keep then, can add functionality buying for example Thrustmaster TWCS throttle. 

But a upgrade - mechanics, sensors, functionality (twist will be available as optional next year): https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-gladiator-pro-modern-combat-edition-w-mcg-grip 

Edited by Sokol1

I have MSFFB2. Im always used it. And i wonder what if my last one will broke some day..then what. You who have changed from forcefeedback to no ffb, how easy it is? Im a bit scared, but at the same time i am wondering, is this old stick accurate enough anymore. Would i be better pilot if i would use some new accurate hall sensor superstick.

Better pilot no, but can aim better. :)

Thanks, my aim could be better too. But i am so used to ffb that it would be hard to start using stick without ffb.

BRD all the way :good:

Yeah, went with the mongoose as of now, waiting until the BRD+VPC joystick comes out.

Many people running the Warthog.

What that tells me is, you all have WAY too much money!! :)

• Haha 1

I had been running with a CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pedals from about 2005 until earlier this year.  I acquired a set of Crosswind Pedals in the early summer, and I just got a Thrustmaster Warthog for my birthday.  I'm looking to buy the Virpil base to run the Warthog joystick, and set them on Virpil desk mounts.  The CH stuff is absolutely great, but I've wanted a center-mounted joystick option for awhile, and I think the above setup will fit the bill.

Edited by WWChunk

I am running the Virpil base and stick on their desk mount with 150mm of extension, and absolutely love it.

Have many hours in with it now.

• Upvote 1

Just ordered the Virpil base, extension kit, two desk mounts, and the Warthog throttle base for the mount.  Mildly excited about that... :biggrin:

Edited by WWChunk

When you are right handed it is easy. When you are left handed all the best solutions do not fit in your hand. The throttles are also  for right handed. 

So my controls are Thrustmaster T-16000M in the left hand and mouse in the right hand to look arround.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov
  • Upvote 1