FieldyGB

VR - Wow.

That would be nirvana.  I love CloD water and clouds....   flying over the channel in VR would be sublime!

And here am I just trying not to throw up all over my keyboard after 10minutes of vr

Ugh - fairly new user?

I got adjustment to mine fairly quickly, got it in Jan and now do not get any motion sickness at all - mostly anyway.

Flight simming certainly is ok now for me - exploring the ISS in 0 Gravity still kind of gets to me a little.

Edited by dburne

And here am I just trying not to throw up all over my keyboard after 10minutes of vr

Try it with a good hangover. :)

For motion sickness, try getting Buttkicker or something similar.  I find it completely removes any sensory discomfort to the point where I never play without it.

For motion sickness, try getting Buttkicker or something similar.  I find it completely removes any sensory discomfort to the point where I never play without it.

Do you attach your transducer amp directly to the VR headset and let the amp handle being the low pass filter or do you use something like voicemeeter?

Go take a look at the Gametrix Jetseat with the SimShaker software, I LOVE mine, I don't get any motion sickness at all with it and can fly for 3 or 4 hours without issue.

https://dreamsimteam.blogspot.com.au

Use the Steam VR settings to mirror the sound to it and the rift at the same time.

Edited by Highwayman

How can this thing influence motion sickness ? Which input does it need ?

(BoX is surely not supporting it - how does it know what to do ?)

Go take a look at the Gametrix Jetseat with the SimShaker software, I LOVE mine, I don't get any motion sickness at all with it and can fly for 3 or 4 hours without issue.https://dreamsimteam.blogspot.com.au

Use the Steam VR settings to mirror the sound to it and the rift at the same time.

That seems as good a reason as any for 777 to make the FFB hook-ins available to the Simshaker developers. One hopes that at some point in the future they will find time and resources to make them available. They certainly add to the VR experience and is something I look forward to when booting up DCS.

• Upvote 1

That seems as good a reason as any for 777 to make the FFB hook-ins available to the Simshaker developers. One hopes that at some point in the future they will find time and resources to make them available. They certainly add to the VR experience and is something I look forward to when booting up DCS.

Dont know whats stopping them to be honest!

That seems as good a reason as any for 777 to make the FFB hook-ins available to the Simshaker developers. One hopes that at some point in the future they will find time and resources to make them available. They certainly add to the VR experience and is something I look forward to when booting up DCS

Dont know whats stopping them to be honest!

+1

I believe that Andre who makes the SimShaker software said that it will be possible with the updates already planned for BoK from his end, it doesn't require any special hooks as such, just the ability to read data values from the sim that the seat needs to interpret bumps, buffets, stalls, etc

• Upvote 2

I believe that Andre who makes the SimShaker software said that it will be possible with the updates already planned for BoK from his end, it doesn't require any special hooks as such, just the ability to read data values from the sim that the seat needs to interpret bumps, buffets, stalls, etc

I hope that's right, it would be great news indeed.

I hope that's right, it would be great news indeed.

Agreed. I have a transducer setup but would supplement with one of those seats in a heartbeat if BoX supported it.

Do you attach your transducer amp directly to the VR headset and let the amp handle being the low pass filter or do you use something like voicemeeter?

I use voicemeeter to send audio to both the Rift (HDMI) and my sound card.  Then I run a stereo cable directly from the sound card's headphone jack to my Buttkicker amp. 

How can this thing influence motion sickness ? Which input does it need ?

(BoX is surely not supporting it - how does it know what to do ?)

I don't know exactly why it helps.  You "feel" events with your body as they happen in VR.  I guess this helps convince your brain that it's real.  The different vibrations make you feel like your body is in motion, so there's less disconnect with what you see.

Buttkicker works by turning low frequency sounds from the game into physical vibrations in the seat and back of your chair.  Nothing special is required and it works with any game that has realistic sound.

Again, I can't recommend this enough for racing and flight sims.  :)

guys my VR with oculus is shaky and often I see the steam vr home page pop up, very evident when at a map and scrolling in and out the headset keep flashing , sporadically when in flight it also seems to lose connection often and flash.  I can't find anyone else reporting this issue, I'm on an oculus cv1 - don't have this issue in other titles - any ideas how to fix it?

Edited by AcesHigh

As far as I know, SLI is still not supported in VR. Have you try with one single GPU?

Also a single 670 is below Oculus recommended specs, it doesn´t mean that it will not work but the performance could be affected depending on games

guys my VR with oculus is shaky and often I see the steam vr home page pop up, very evident when at a map and scrolling in and out the headset keep flashing , sporadically when in flight it also seems to lose connection often and flash.  I can't find anyone else reporting this issue, I'm on an oculus cv1 - don't have this issue in other titles - any ideas how to fix it?

I also would say it is your GPU, min spec for VR would be a 970 card. 

The VR implementation in IL-2 is really something else! Love it. Smooth and simply perfect. I am blown away - and it rekindled my love for the franchise. Thanks devs! :) 

• Upvote 6

I would recommend to anyone experimenting problems with VR to run the test we described in the below thread and report results, so we can have a database of rig vs performance:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline/

Also, people having good results can run the test as well so we will know what CPU/GPU/RAM is worth for BoX in VR.

It's 100% worth it imo. Yes, the resolution is not perfect but it isn't bad. Make sure supersampling is 1.7 or higher, interleaved repojection is off and asynchronous is on, and have a blast. The settings do need to be right, but when you calibrate right its perfect.

There is nothing like it, and I honestly think I play better with it. Many would disagree, but my aim improved a great deal. This was because you can truly sense depth perception, and it is easier to "feel" where your rounds are going. Landing and other spacial aspects of the game are easier as well.

I remember after my first dogfight was over I realized I had basically stopped breathing and my knuckles where white from gripping the stick so tightly.

Worth it, even this first generation imo. Again, just make sure you get the settings right.

• Upvote 1

Make sure supersampling is 1.7 or higher, interleaved repojection is off and asynchronous is on, and have a blast. The settings do need to be right, but when you calibrate right its perfect.

Where do you see all these settings? Is that from within in the Oculus Tray Tool? I don't remember seeing interleaved repojection and asynchronous options...? 

guys my VR with oculus is shaky and often I see the steam vr home page pop up, very evident when at a map and scrolling in and out the headset keep flashing , sporadically when in flight it also seems to lose connection often and flash. I can't find anyone else reporting this issue, I'm on an oculus cv1 - don't have this issue in other titles - any ideas how to fix it?

Try going into steamvr settings and making sure always on repojection is on. Make sure asynchronous repojection is checked, but not interleaved. This will give you the smoothest experience possible for a cockpit sim (unless you have a crazy good rig), so if you are still having issues after this you need a better gpu.

Protip: go to startup.ini and change the grass draw distance to grassdistance: 0.

Framerate goes way up on the ground, and it even looks better imo.

Where do you see all these settings? Is that from within in the Oculus Tray Tool? I don't remember seeing interleaved repojection and asynchronous options...?

Steamvr settings, under performance and developer tabs. Without going into details, always on repojection greatly smooths gameplay if you are in a cockpit enviornment without noticeable drawbacks. Interleaved repojection is an older form that messes with headtracking, but asynchronous does not. Supersampling should be at least 1.5, after valve changed the system for it.

I use the Oculus Tray Tool supplied by ApollyonVR over on the Oculus Forums.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

I have it set to run at Windows startup, and have a profile set for BoS for SS ( I run 1.7), ASW - I run it off, and I use the audio switcher so I don't have to remember to set my Rift as audio device prior to launching BoS. I have it also set to never sleep on my USB 3 ports and maximum performance. All of this can be set within the Oculus Tray Tool. Have a read through the manual supplied with the tool.

You can read about ASW for the Rift here:

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/asynchronous-spacewarp/

ASW basically does this: The Rift is designed to run at 90 Hz ( 90 fps). If framerates drop much below 90 fps, then ASW will kick in ( when set to auto), and reduce the fps to 45 fps and interpolate ( basically predicts)  the missing frames in between each frame to give an end result of 90 fps for the display. Results in it remaining a very smooth experience when framerates drop down, however does introduce some graphic anomalies like motion blur when aircraft fly past and gunsight recticle jitteriness. 

I find on my system, I can run with ASW set to off, and still get a very smooth experience without those anomalies.

With having a Rift, I just personally prefer to use it's software for these settings rather than Steam VR. Probably 6 of 12 and half dozen of another LOL. Plus ASW is native to the Rift.

Edited by dburne

Good info! Thank you! :)

:good: 

You are most welcome, enjoy that new Rift!!

Guys I've been away from IL2 for some time, it's VR that brought me back for another try.   I realize now based on some of the resonces I need to update my profile / spec - those are old I'm on a 1080 TI now.  Baylor I'll have to try the suggestions you listed later tonight and report back how it goes.   Sorry about overlooking the specs going to update now.

Guys I've been away from IL2 for some time, it's VR that brought me back for another try.   I realize now based on some of the resonces I need to update my profile / spec - those are old I'm on a 1080 TI now.  Baylor I'll have to try the suggestions you listed later tonight and report back how it goes.   Sorry about overlooking the specs going to update now.

I have a very similar setup to yours and was seeing some of this very early on.  Now I only see the SteamVR room when I first sign in at the GUI and when missions are loading.  During flight in SP and MP i don't have the fading in and out where you see the SteamVR background and the location of the sensors.  Are you overclocking your CPU?  The CPU needs to feed that 1080 Ti and it should be in the 4+ Ghz.  Also, you may be having issues with the tracking due to USB 3 requirements.  See dburne's initial comments on VR setup to links to USB 3.0 addon cards.  You should be having a smooth experience when in flight.

VR does not allow movement amplification, all 1:1 movement just like the real world.

That is my biggest concern, I'll need to see a Physical therapist after a night of flying - lol

I have a very similar setup to yours and was seeing some of this very early on.  Now I only see the SteamVR room when I first sign in at the GUI and when missions are loading.  During flight in SP and MP i don't have the fading in and out where you see the SteamVR background and the location of the sensors.  Are you overclocking your CPU?  The CPU needs to feed that 1080 Ti and it should be in the 4+ Ghz.  Also, you may be having issues with the tracking due to USB 3 requirements.  See dburne's initial comments on VR setup to links to USB 3.0 addon cards.  You should be having a smooth experience when in flight.

Well unhappy to report Taylors suggestions above did not help with my issue.  Toxin like you during menu and even at the logon screen it flashes back and forth to the steamvr room and then back to the game.  During flight every 5 seconds or 15 seconds it's just sporadic it goes grey then flashes back, kind of like blinking.   No overclock on the CPU or memory or gpu, will review dburne's  comments.   Since it's only happening in il2 for me, I have to assume my sensors and setup are ok, but agree seems everyone else is having a smooth flight so definitely something I've got wrong on my side.  Have to go back through and recheck all the suggestions tomorrow night.  

Well unhappy to report Taylors suggestions above did not help with my issue.  Toxin like you during menu and even at the logon screen it flashes back and forth to the steamvr room and then back to the game.  During flight every 5 seconds or 15 seconds it's just sporadic it goes grey then flashes back, kind of like blinking.   No overclock on the CPU or memory or gpu, will review dburne's  comments.   Since it's only happening in il2 for me, I have to assume my sensors and setup are ok, but agree seems everyone else is having a smooth flight so definitely something I've got wrong on my side.  Have to go back through and recheck all the suggestions tomorrow night.  

Sorry to hear. If it isn't happening in other games the only other thing I can think of is some kind of gfx setting is out of wack, maybe in your startup.ini.

Edited by baylor703

Well unhappy to report Taylors suggestions above did not help with my issue. Toxin like you during menu and even at the logon screen it flashes back and forth to the steamvr room and then back to the game. During flight every 5 seconds or 15 seconds it's just sporadic it goes grey then flashes back, kind of like blinking. No overclock on the CPU or memory or gpu, will review dburne's comments. Since it's only happening in il2 for me, I have to assume my sensors and setup are ok, but agree seems everyone else is having a smooth flight so definitely something I've got wrong on my side. Have to go back through and recheck all the suggestions tomorrow night.

Not related to this by any chance?

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29987-nvidia-38476-drivers-stuttering-htc-vive/?view=getnewpost

Go take a look at the Gametrix Jetseat with the SimShaker software, I LOVE mine, I don't get any motion sickness at all with it and can fly for 3 or 4 hours without issue.

https://dreamsimteam.blogspot.com.au

Yes please! Priced right to be worth the risk. Please 777 make BoX compatible.

I hope a second pass is given to VR implementation. There are many poorly implemented aspects that annoy me to no end. The map updates slowly, frequent drops in FPS whether it's clouds or multiple aircraft, needing to turn off the overlay means you lose indicators for things like flaps, not to mention losing all text which cuts you off from typed communications. I only fly in VR and I immensely enjoy this game however I do wish VR was better implemented and had fewer teething issues. Frame rate drops alone can be agonizing when you need to properly ID an aircraft in a time span of only seconds.

von Luck

Frame rate drops alone can be agonizing when you need to properly ID an aircraft in a time span of only seconds.

What are the specs of your rig?  have you tried to run the BoS VR performance test?

Well, in a dogfight I ended up with "VR neck" (I made that term up), where I strained my neck muscles a little too much and it hurt a few days. This wasn't a thing with TrackIr. :D

That is my biggest concern, I'll need to see a Physical therapist after a night of flying - lol

Edited by RainMan

I tried the new drivers and no change, but good suggestion thank you.   Don't have enough time tonight to read back through and double check the other suggestion but will do this weekend.  

I notice you have a triple screen setup.

What monitor resolution do you have set for BoS?