FieldyGB

VR - Wow.

Just had to log in and post in the forum as after years of playing this game I noticed that a recent update added VR support and whilst I have had some recent issues with VR in other titles I have to say my expectations werent high.. But boy was I wrong. Wow, the feeling of being there in the cockpit of the FW190 was incredible. Thank you guys looking forward to flying a lot more often!! S

Just had to log in and post in the forum as after years of playing this game I noticed that a recent update added VR support and whilst I have had some recent issues with VR in other titles I have to say my expectations werent high.. But boy was I wrong. Wow, the feeling of being there in the cockpit of the FW190 was incredible. Thank you guys looking forward to flying a lot more often!! S

:good: 

It is awesome isn't it.

Get ready for a lot of great wow moments!

I am a big vr user with elite, project cars and warthunder being my big three. But I have to say the IL2 devs did a fantastic job implementing VR for the rift. This is by far the best VR rendering I have ever seen. Once I turned off the hud (which reduced performance impact dramatically) the clarity shot through the roof. Compared to warthunder, DCS and project cars, this is the first sim I have been able to comfortably read the numbers of the instruments without leaning in.

External views are clean and crisp, again with hud turned off. I have max settings set of course, thanks to my Titan Xp and my I7 6700 and I now have the best possible VR experience going for the Rift. Thanks devs!!

Man, does this make the wait for the pacific game so much more painful.

Il2 in vr is quite astounding.

If the devs manage to implement a campaign equal to pwcg ill be hugely happy.

Im promoting the game as much as i can in my own small way.

I have 2000 hits on my poor youtube vid in two days.

There's a big vr market out there.

I hope it catches on.

If ican get those hits imagine what a professional could do!

Il2 in vr is quite astounding.

If the devs manage to implement a campaign equal to pwcg ill be hugely happy.

I hope it catches on.

If ican get those hits imagine what a professional could do!

Im curious.... Which VR glasses do you use?

I have the HTC Vive. I turned it on and without any tweaking (with other VR games i seem to have to spend hours fiddling with the settings!) and it was just glorious.

I hope it catches on.

:salute:

If everyone would do that, we would have a chance that pacific will be developed !

• Upvote 2

If everyone would do that, we would have a chance that pacific will be developed !

Absolutely!

I have been talking it up over on the Oculus forums.

Hopefully some Vive users are doing the same over on the Steam forums as well.

• Upvote 1

Sorry but 1999 1/2 of those views were me ( If you want to know. I got board half way through the last one, same old, same old , nothing new to see) ;-)

We need to to get Froogle to do a proper BoXVR Vlog, if he isn't already doing one, it would be awesome and might push the sim out to a wider flight sim community.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible
  • Upvote 2

Froogle says in his latest update that he tried it and will probably make a vid about it soon.

Had to stop and think for a second.

I was injured and I had blood all over my googles. As I came in to land I needed to see my instruments more clearly so I, just about, removed my googles so I could get a better view. Then thought better of it, LOL.

• Upvote 1

VR veteran here, over 30+ VR titles at the moment and IL2 is without question at the top of all VR experiences. This exceeded my expectations on what is possible on the current VR HMD's. The thing that kept crossing my mind as I was dogfighting, while feeling like I was actually in the plane, is that someone who may not even be into flight sims might be so wowed by this that they jump in and buy the game. It is that compelling. Great work to the entire IL2 team. Here is to hoping for a CLOD VR upgrade as well.

• Upvote 3

Ok,

you guys are making me both jealous and curious. I've played BoX, RoF, CoD since they were first released and like a lot of us have a full set up of joystick, throttle, pedals, throttle quadrant, triple monitor set up, TracIR and a decent PC...........I swore to myself that I wouldn't get sucked into a VR headset...............

but I'm reading sooo much good stuff it's got me thinking........

Is it really that good to invest in or wait for further development?

Can it really be that good to ditch the triple monitor and TracIR?

If I were to dive in, which is the best current VR?

Thanks

Edited by keeno

Ok,

you guys are making me both jealous and curious. I've played BoX, RoF, CoD since they were first released and like a lot of us have a full set up of joystick, throttle, pedals, throttle quadrant, triple monitor set up, TracIR and a decent PC...........I swore to myself that I wouldn't get sucked into a VR headset...............

Thanks

Hmmmm, tricky...

Whilst I cant stand not being in VR (and I have a triple monitor/Track IR set up) it's a very subjective issue.

It's not perfect and comes with many caveats but to us converted, well, it *is* the second coming.

I'd hesitate to say its a must have for anyone other than me.

YMMV :)

L

Ok,

Thanks

I am very happy I jumped into VR early but that being said it does have some first gen limitations such as cost and resolution. It may be worth it to try it it first before buying to make sure it is for you(if that's possible). It also my be a good idea to see if any of the major players announce a gen 2 HMD with higher resolution around E3 timeframe first( rumors of 3rd quarter announcements). Even with the current limitations though, it is amazing.

I am on HTC Vive btw

Thanks

I went from triple monitor + TrackIR .  I have no regrets, especially when it comes to BoX  (Haven't tried it on line)

As for HMD  OR or Vive are the safest bets, some people have tried Pimax but I'm not convinced, it might be worth waiting on that one and seeing what users actual experiences are, for the benefit of better resolution it might require lot's of faffing around to get it to work properly if at all, there aren't any free lunches everything has pluses and minuses.  The Vive costs more but comes with controllers included.  If you want to play flight sims exclusively (you won't) then the Rift is better because you don't pay extra for hand controllers out of the box.

I have a Rift and recently bought some Touch controllers and I'm more than happy.  I don't foresee a new, main stream, HMD before this time next year at the earliest and quite possibly not until the Spring of the following year.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

With all this hoopla about VR with this sim (my favourite sim, to be fair), I must ask:

* Has anyone tried using the Oculus Rift with a USB 3.0 hub? That thing eats a lot of ports, and as simmers we're already using up quite a few of them.

* Do VR users need to buy silk scarves to stop chafing, or do the VR rigs allow "movement amplification", sort of like TrackIR does? You know, so you don't need to turn completely around to look behind you?

Edited by Yankee_

With all this hoopla about VR with this sim (my favourite sim, to be fair), I must ask:

* Has anyone tried using the Oculus Rift with a USB 3.0 hub? That thing eats a lot of ports, and as simmers we're already using up quite a few of them.

* Do VR users need to buy silk scarves to stop chafing, or do the VR rigs allow "movement amplification", sort of like TrackIR does? You know, so you don't need to turn completely around to look behind you?

:biggrin: When I got my Rift last June While flying The Mi-8 in DCS I actually reached out my hand to my desk to brace for impact during a crash......My brain had been totally fooled to where my body actually was......Now THAT'S IMMERSION BABY!!!!! :biggrin:

I have an Innatek PCIe Powered USB 3.0 card I put in just for the Rift and it's sensors. It is fairly picky on USB 3 ports , and I had saw it was one that Oculus recommends so I went ahead and got it when I got the Rift. Has been running great for me in that.

VR does not allow movement amplification, all 1:1 movement just like the real world.

Ok,

Thanks

If I may share my experience.

I own a Rift and I'm lucky enough to have a new 1080Ti. I use a Obutto Cockpit and an Saitek X-55 H.O.T.A.S. I also have a fan setup to blow on my face while using VR as it can get warm after a while.

So I jump into a multiplayer server and it's Summer. The grass is moving in the breeze and the sun blares down at me.

I start the engine and taxi to the runway. I lean out to look behind me and watch another taxi. I'm getting excited.

I am loving the freedom of keeping the canopy open and decide I won't close it till I'm airbourne. The engine noise is noticeably louder when I stick my head out but it's so immersive, I can see why dogs love to stick their head out the window in a car.

I adjust the fuel mix and prop rpm and push the throttle forward. Twitchie but the speed picks up and then I start to climb. It's silky smooth and I'm flying.

It's amazing and I circle the airport gently banking while watching the activity below me. 

I decide to land and do it all again. This is as close as I'm going to get to actually doing it for real. I'm hooked.

If you have a 980Ti,1070,1080 or 1080Ti you will love VR in this sim. It's better than X-plane and way better than FSX. Not sure how well it will run on lesser cards though. My friends who play DCS tell me BoS is a better experience in VR and they are converted.

I have been on 3 nights running and I'm going back for more tonight. :)

• Upvote 2

Ok,

Thanks

I could not really say it any better than SCuMattly as I share his thoughts as well.

I will only add:

Yes VR  really is that good - to me. I could never go back. Everyone is different so one's experience can certainly be different than another's. I will say that from the forums I have frequented, the majority seem to feel the way I do, but a few do not. Just like any electronic device, one could always be waiting for something better, cause you know it will be coming eventually as well. Just like better graphics cards, better monitors, better CPU's, etc.

And I use VR for more than just flight simming as well, so it is not just something I pull out when I go for a spin or mission. I can say positively for me, I am getting my money's worth out of my Rift.

If you were to dive in, I would suggest either Rift or Vive. Both work well out of the box.  Before you do, check up on them both on some forums and websites, read up on what each has to offer.

Here is a comparison by someone between the two:

http://www.techradar.com/news/wearables/htc-vive-vs-oculus-rift-1301375

Give it some careful thought, do some reading up and you should be able to decide if VR is for you.

Had to stop and think for a second.

I was injured and I had blood all over my googles. As I came in to land I needed to

see my instruments more clearly so I, just about, removed my googles so I could get a better view. Then thought better of it, LOL.

Thanks for this :D

After a sortie i returned to base, landed, taxied and switched of my engine then climbed out and stood on my wing to count how many of us made it home and watch em land. Winter map, 5pm low sun. Yet again i held my real hand in front of my face to shield my eyes.

Second time...second time...

• Upvote 1

Wow!!!!!!

thanks to all for the replies, the emotion of just how goof this VR is really shines through.

I thought I was lucky to have a decent set up but some of yours sound amazing.

I'm so tempted to join you in the amazing experience. I've heard the resolution of the VR units could be better, I don't play on 4K monitors but 3 23" HD screens, what do you think of the current units resolution, do you think it could be improved or is it good enough now bearing in mind I do not currently have 4K and am still satisfied. if it helps I have a GTX980ti.

Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers

Hey Keeno

VR is very demanding on a graphics-card. Even though the resolution is a total of 2160 x 1080 which is less than 4K it will still really test your card. I think in part it's because the whole scene is constantly displayed instead of just what's visible on your monitor. Maybe someone else here can explain it better. What you and those holding out for a higher resolution headset need to understand is that there isn't a graphics-card in existence that will handle 4K in VR yet.

With that in mind let's talk about the Rift/Vive. Yes there is some screen door effect and it's more noticeable in some games than others. However what the lower resolution takes away is more than made up for by the immersion of being in a virtual environment. Most of the time you won't notice the screen door effect. The resolution is a little low for most flight sims and you need to physically lean forward to read numbers on dials etc however iL2 planes have big analogue dials that are much more easily read. Some titles seems to do better with text and instruments than others. Elite Dangerous for instance is awesome in VR and you can happily read displays and text without any leaning. FSX, X-plane & DCS are a different story and you need to zoom in. 

I suggest you take the plunge and get either a Rift or a Vive. If you can try both headsets on and see which fit's you more comfortably. :)

When 4K VR does come around we are in trouble because it will be that good! 

Thanks again for the comprehensive reply.

I'm just reading up now on the different units. I'd be purely getting VR for BoX as its the only PC game I play along with CoD and RoF, hopefully they'll be compatible at some point too.

It feels like Christmas!!!!

Cheers

Id still recommend consideration for quality room scale tracking. You might think you only want BoX now (and maybe you will), but some of those other experiences are awesome as hell.

Without going too offtopic for long.

Whilst roomscale is great, for me, it didnt have any longevity and i return to seated games that support VR.

Imho standing/roomscale is groovy but there's not alot out there to involve one long term compared to games like ED or BoX etc.

Ymmv! ;)

I'm new to this forum and would like to congratulate the devs on their astounding work on IL-2:BOS. It has translated really well to VR. The first time I tried it I was mindblown at the quality and realism. The first time I took a bird up, I was like, are you #$£%ing kidding me?! The flight characteristics, textures, particle effects, performance etc. are all in a different league. I can only find one minor issue texture or graphics-wise. The size of the sun, moon and stars may be a little on the large size in VR?

Having spent over a week almost exclusively in IL-2:BOS, last night I tried the competing flight sims in VR and was _reverse_ mindblown by them. I can't ever go back to them.

I'll be demoing my Vive today to a few friends. It'll be IL-2:BOS I first show them. It's great for demos because of the autopilot feature.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

• Upvote 1

Yup! Get the silk scarf. 1:1 tracking is the way to go;)

I find it funny how some of you guys with self cameras, your reactions to crashing into the ground are priceless. lol

I've noticed quite a few guys are talking about VR when I play online... but how are they managing to type?

Ok,

Thanks

You know I have Track IR as well. It's tempting from time to time to switch back to track ir from vr because of the resolution bump you get with the monitor but that 1to1 head tracking and 3d you get in vr really makes a big difference and is the first thing I miss every time. I have to admit for those that play multiplayer both on this game and warthunder you are at a disadvantage with spotting aircraft at a distance in vr. It's easy to see the little blobs but you can't make out the details until you are way close in. In due time, this limitation will go the way of the dodo bird once the 2nd gen hmd's hit the market in the coming couple of years.

Edited by neostar

Froogle says in his latest update that he tried it and will probably make a vid about it soon.

Ah yes, found the video where he talks about the sim.

After his first try with the VR he is positive about it.

"I do hope to take a second look very soon."

VR should provide some white knuckle moments when the pacific theater comes around in regards to carrier landings! Lots of VR pilots walking around with broken noses from banging their faces on the desks from stern carrier hits.

Wow! Can't be soon enough.

Edited by BornToBattle