HagarTheHorrible

VR related sales boost

I stopped playing Il2 when I bought my Rift and moved over to playing DCS. With the news that Il2 was going to implement VR in the near future I returned to the fold and bought both BoM and BoK and since the last patch I've been more than happy with that expense and desicion.

It appears from the forums, from either new recruits popping up or old lag's who'd drifted away returning that I'm not alone in this with people buying either Il2 expansions, VR headsets or both. It is however difficult to judge from the normally small, but vocal, minority how successful this step has been, not only for 777's bottom line, but for flight sims generally.

What say you ? Has it been a success, worth the effort, beyond a small vocal gang of supporters ?

• Upvote 3

How odd, i was also thinking of asking this today.

VR has definitely bought me back to il2.

Until it's release was announced BoX had largely remaimed untouched in my collection.

Disgraceful of me, i know.

I would certainly think it has had a positive impact, how much I guess would be anyone's guess. Like you guys it has absolutely brought me back into the fold, having been gone away from it since shortly after the initial release of BoS. I now have BoM and pre-ordered BoK.

I know I have been spreading the word on some other forums on how great this sim is in VR.

I can say I have been surprised by the activity on the forums related to VR since it's implementation. Prior to release there really was not a lot of discussion, afterwards they seemed to come out of the woodwork with also some apparently new forum members as well - which is a good thing.

Another thing that might help , if 1CGS ever decided to go ahead and support the Rift natively through the Oculus runtime as well. Perhaps then they could get the game listed on the Oculus Store giving it a lot more exposure for Rift owners, who would purchase and install it right into Oculus Home and run it from there. I know Elite Dangerous has done this and it gets a lot of exposure there and has a very significant following amongst Rift users.

While VR is a small minority currently, they are predicting some very large numbers increase around 2019.

As you say , the forum representation is a small vocal minority and hopefully the customer base has had a nice boost as a result of 2.009.

We certainly need to keep spreading the word ourselves wherever we can to get more exposure out there for this great sim.

Edited by dburne

Same here. I quit playing IL2 a while ago and tried war thunder and DCS with my Oculus Rift, but did not really like the vr experience in both. The sale and the great vr update certainly helped to decide to buy BOM. It is my favorite VR game next to project cars, now.I guess there are others who came back to try it again in VR or there are some Oculus or Vive owners who want to give it a try due to lack of other good vr content.

Welcome back everyone! :) 

You were seriously missing out on some good gameplay before VR but I'm glad that people are returning for the VR as well. Hopefully this increases the buzz and the sales for the series. From what Jason says it badly needs it to keep going.

Allthough it is nice, if a few hardcore guys are coming back, this will not give enough sells to stay the series alive  :(

I would try another approach:

Cheap "VR experience" version / 4 scenarios (1 fighter and bomber on each side) / only SP / easy controls / all set up for VR (no setup)    

So it is something for "non pilots" - but giving them a great VR experience over Stalingrad.

Maybe as well with very easy controls:

I would try a VR version. Much less content (flyable planes) for a cheaper access, and a preset profile for the xbox controller (for the rift - utilising your mouse control tech)) and all assists checked on.

For the Vive something similar (joystick 4-button) as a cheap "steam VR" offer.

If someone decides to stay, he will buy the full version. If not, 10 times more sells for 14,00 USD would double the total sales. There is nothing to loose anyhow. Changing nothing will be the end:

I want to remind everyone that we are only going to the Pacific is we can afford it and we have a path forward. As for the immediate future we are continuing to produce what we listed when we announced Kuban. Every step forward we take is difficult. We need more users to buy more content or the train will come to a stop.

Jason

Edited by BlackDevil

I don't have VR but I am guessing that there are forums that cover VR and VR gaming.  It would help if this game got some positive buzz on those sites and perhaps on Steam?  My understanding is that their is not a great deal of VR implementation yet.

Get the word out you VR people!

Ps:  I'm trying to imagine carrier landings with VR :o:

Edited by SYN_Mike77

I'm in the same boat,I'm back now enjoying IL*2 in beautiful VR  :biggrin: 

Same I just rebought it but unfortunately I can't get the installer to open the window that downloads the majority of the game on Win10 with Creators update . It works fine on and older version of Win 10 (insider) I have on another partition. So got to get that worked out and then I'm back in! :)  

Wish I had bought it on Steam but even thought Ic said it was on sale on both their site and Steam it was not for sale on Steam on 4/15 :( Why Ic why? 

I hope its worth it. So far all the flight sims I have used in VR is $%%#$%# Amazing! I used to fly with a surround set up but VR blows it away.

Have purchased everything they've made except for the JU (that's next). I enjoyed BOS until I got my rift, but I couldn't get back into monitor simming after experiencing VR, so I was making due with DCS and war thunder. Both lack in terms of a decent multiplayer experience. there is nothing at all for single player. Il-2 knocks it out of the park and I think it being so good at the early stages of VR will really help Jason and crew once VR starts really taking off next year or two. As of now, this is the sim I recommend for anyone and everyone looking for combat, ambiance, immersion, and a more holistic package versus the piece meal approaches of DCS war thunder.

Price wise it's a great deal whether u buy during a sale or not (certainly a lot cheaper than DCS).

I do miss clickable cockpits sometimes, but it's really not as big of a deal for WW2 planes anyhow.

• Upvote 1

I'm an old IL2 enthusiast ..I was on the original forums but as with others leaked away.

That aside I'm back with a BOS download, prompted simply by the VR capability plus an updated PC..so add me to the list of returners as it definitely sparked my Interest.    

The game appears to lack depth and looks a bit arcade like on my PC (i5 and 1070) and I'm yet to invest in VR........the one thing holding me back is that my eyesight is struggling a little nowadays. I don't need glasses to view my monitor but my sons PS4 VR is blurred...is this because I'm viewing a screen a couple of inches in front of my eyes....?  Thats the only thing holding me back, if I can test an Oculus or something then I would decide to go VR or not, however I'm sure once word gets out this place will really take off again just like the old days.

I would try another approach:

Cheap "VR experience" version / 4 scenarios (1 fighter and bomber on each side) / only SP / easy controls / all set up for VR (no setup)    

So it is something for "non pilots" - but giving them a great VR experience over Stalingrad.

Maybe as well with very easy controls

Hmmm, good idea. The big "if" is whether it will lead to more profit for the developers.

Imagine an Il-2 "light" with one map, four planes, optimised for "easy" settings, selling for 10$, perhaps focused on the VR crowd. 

- If it becomes a big hit, the 10$ could be discounted for those choosing to buy the full sim. hopefully a lot of people.

However, some people might also just choose to not go for the full package.

Where do the curves intersect? - Would it boost sales and (more importantly) profits? - Hard to say... 

I don't need glasses to view my monitor but my sons PS4 VR is blurred...is this because I'm viewing a screen a couple of inches in front of my eyes...

Actually , at least in my case, I see better. I'm 60 and can't see near objects well but in VR I can see objects clearly that are only a few , or what appears to be, inches from my eye. In real life it would be blurry as all get out.

Also VR is generally a little blurry right now anyway. I can't wait for the 2nd or third generations with high resolutions. If they ever make VR as clear as my monitors I'd sell the monitors and never take the HMD off. :) Except when driving or going to get beer from frig. :) 

Actually , at least in my case, I see better. I'm 60 and can't see near objects well but in VR I can see objects clearly that are only a few , or what appears to be, inches from my eye. In real life it would be blurry as all get out.

Also VR is generally a little blurry right now anyway. I can't wait for the 2nd or third generations with high resolutions. If they ever make VR as clear as my monitors I'd sell the monitors and never take the HMD off. :) Except when driving or going to get beer from frig. :)

I am the same way, always had to wear my reading glasses when gaming on the monitor. In the Rift, not needed for me at all - I can see everything very well.

I was pleasantly surprised by this.

Always had 20/20 so the big thing for me is If the lens has a mark on it or a finger print..I see it right away..same with sunglasses If they get a scratch on them I have to throw them out and get new ones. So I take very good care of my Vive.

It's probably not gonna make much now, but in future when the price of the headsets come down it should make a fortune.

Have purchased everything they've made except for the JU (that's next). I enjoyed BOS until I got my rift, but I couldn't get back into monitor simming after experiencing VR, so I was making due with DCS and war thunder. Both lack in terms of a decent multiplayer experience. there is nothing at all for single player. Il-2 knocks it out of the park and I think it being so good at the early stages of VR will really help Jason and crew once VR starts really taking off next year or two. As of now, this is the sim I recommend for anyone and everyone looking for combat, ambiance, immersion, and a more holistic package versus the piece meal approaches of DCS war thunder.

Price wise it's a great deal whether u buy during a sale or not (certainly a lot cheaper than DCS).

I do miss clickable cockpits sometimes, but it's really not as big of a deal for WW2 planes anyhow.

Can't agree about DCS. It has some great single player content and most importantly a very good and easy to use mission editor which is a godsend for VR as you can edit missions or just make your own and avoid adding in things that will tax the system. BOS works great most of the time but low over a city with big dogfights going on can produce big fps drops and it's by no means perfect just yet.

I love the BOS single player campaigns for VR because they are all very untaxing with not too much happening at any one time.

This might annoy or be too easy and boring for sim veterans but great for useless noobs like myself who are quite happy to spend hours attacking the same airport and raging at the AI for stealing our train kills! See for me with a flight sim especially in VR, I'm quite happy with a few targets to hit and a fly around the map, it's all I really need. I just love the whole experience.

If the missions were like DCS SP missions or better they wouldn't be playable in VR, as many are not in DCS without using the editor. As it is because of their simplicity they are perfect for VR and work for the most part very well.

I am a longtime IL2 player, played IL2 from orginal demo, until BOB. Bought Stalingrad when it was new, but found it lacing. Came back and bought Moskva because rumers of VR suport. And now I'm back, because this game in VR is fantastic. Also going to pay for the next expandions because of the VR suport.

But I do think the price of extra planes is very high... And the game realy need a better singel player campagne. But all in all a realy good game, hope it earns money to keep it going for many more years and expansions :)

But I do think the price of extra planes is very high... And the game realy need a better singel player campagne. But all in all a realy good game, hope it earns money to keep it going for many more years and expansions :)

A better SP campaign is in the works, due out later this year ( around Kuban release I believe).

I believe it will be awesome!

:good: 

• Upvote 1

I had not played IL2 with any of the new platforms until VR support was announced. Once VR support was foretold I purchased BoM, BoS, and several individual planes. Next I'll be buying BoK. VR has sold me on this plain and simple.

von Luck

Edited by von-Luck

Owning iL-2 1946 & iL-2: COD both on Steam, I was patiently waiting for COD to get VR support.  That patience ran out when BOS announced the VR patch & I promptly purchased off their site with the discount.  I was so impressed with it, that today I now own BOM too :biggrin:

Fantastic stuff guys!!  I'm an absolute rookie but love everything about it.

I wish I could bring more players to the game, but I don't have any sim flying friends, and VR is almost unheard of in my country, due to the price.

One way would be to contact War Thunder Youtubers that have VR available, I've already make a request to Phly. I'm sure that there are a ton of annoyed WT players that would love to switch. I've done my part on the forums, I'm amazed I haven't gotten banned yet. 

Owning iL-2 1946 & iL-2: COD both on Steam, I was patiently waiting for COD to get VR support.  That patience ran out when BOS announced the VR patch & I promptly purchased off their site with the discount.  I was so impressed with it, that today I now own BOM too :biggrin:

Fantastic stuff guys!!  I'm an absolute rookie but love everything about it.

:good: 

Welcome aboard!

We are in for some great times ahead for sure!

• Upvote 1

I have noticed a small improvement in the BOS Steam rating. Most of the most recent reviews mention VR. There's some great comments like 'BOS is my VR killer app' and 'best looking VR game so far'.

Albino

Based on forum stats, BoK preorders have quite improved those last weeks...  :cool: 

Damn it, was reading another day from email about BOM sales extending. Just noticed today was the last day but it was already too late after work, full price again. I guess i'll wait for next sales then... :(

Weather effects looks really good in VR, still not totally sold about FM's and few other things but it's good to have some variety in VR flight sims.

It would help if this game got some positive buzz on those sites and perhaps on Steam?  My understanding is that their is not a great deal of VR implementation yet.

Get the word out you VR people!

I happened to see this guy on YouTube testing dozens and dozens of games with VR implementation.

He is very positive about IL2.  

Because of his (over)enthusiasm I presumed he likes each and every game. Just for the 'likes' and commercial reasons.

But after a quick watch at his other videos he is not always positive about a game.

• Upvote 3

I stopped playing Il2 when I bought my Rift and moved over to playing DCS.

I did exactly same thing. Put my TrackIR away and waited for VR support. Once you got VR, you...you know what I mean.  

• Upvote 2

Its been a while since I have been playing IL2 as well but now with VR and my HTC VIVE being supported, it's a game changer and I'm back. As a kid, this is how a dreamed about flying WW2 planes :) I think the developers are on the right path with support for VR, hence I just pre-ordered premium Kuban module. After playing with VR for the past 5 months, for me there is just no way I will ever go back to 2D flat monitor flying....VR is that good!

One thing I notice though that the FOV is a tiny bit narrower than Elite Dangerous or DCS in VR. I just upgraded from ASUS 1080GTX to Titan Xp and I love it, 40% more power. All IL2 settings maxed out (I don't use AA and Blur) and the VR experience is very smooth...it's amazing! Now, I do hope that developers (in general not just for IL2) will support VR SLI in not so distant future!

Cheers!

Edited by I./JG53_BlackJaguar

Same as many VR users around - I pre ordered IL2 BOS but barely touched it when I got sucked in VR flight sims with my DK2 in 2014 and then my Vive last year on release. Since then IL2 remained shelved until VR support finally came. Now I'm having a blast and have purchased BOM (I did pre order BOK earlier to support IL2 knowing that VR was now once again promised. I don't regret that now) and the Ju52.

My guess is that VR users are now a part of the flight sim community - not the majority by far and probably still a small portion, but my view on it is that it's just as essential (and in my opinion way way more a revolution) as trackIR (and other head tracking methods) came to be. So if asked whether I think VR had a perceptible effects sale right now, I would have a hard time guessing. But VR support will be fundamental for future sales. This is just the beginning, but it's probably wise to be supporting it early so that the devs become used to taking it into account and it's naturally supported when it will really matter sales wise.

PS: another thing about VR is that it has the potential to bring back simmers who have stopped simming altogether. That's most of my friends actually. Most of them complain that they've been there and done sims and none have brought something truely new to them in years - most of them also became disenchanted around the IL2 CloD era and haven't gone back to sims. Now with VR for the first time I hear them being excited again and ready to come back to flight sims.

Edited by ptisinge

I feel we are the same as the first Hotas users or track ir prototypers.

Ill be amazed if in the next 10 years vr specs are not the norm for simming.

Edited by OrLoK

VR hooked me at first, then the idea of coming back to il2 (old CD version) but I am still waiting for the next gen headsets, such as StarVR or Pimax800 with the wide field of view, before I fork out the dosh. But it WILL happen!!

Yeah I also came back for VR - and definitely will be staying. 

It's just too cool. 

And sometimes, when I fly 6k above Stalingrad for example, those goggles on and listening to the engine of my airplane, I think "damn, we are living in the future! What I'm whitnesing right now is something I only imagined as a kid in my wildest dreams. Never actually thought it would come true or only in a very very very distant future. And now here we are. And it's just the beginning!". 

And then I dive down and slaughter those Sturmoviks.  :cool:

Edited by JG4_Sputnik
  • Upvote 4

Also an old(er) flight sim enthusiast back for the VR.  Falcon 4 was my fav.  Now Il2 in VR is a great addition to the VR options out there.  I would still like to see dynamic campaigns and such as Falcon had but I am enjoying it immensely so far.  

I am flabergasted however at how many FPS get taken away by that HUD instrument option. I can be running at 89 FPS regularly and one little press of the h key and I lose 25 to 30 FPS.  Hopefully a special VR key can be made to EASILY pop up either the map or the marker icons which don't seem to have much effect on FPS.  I know that I and M are supposed to handle that but half the time it doesnt work right and I either get no display or things flipping back and forth.

Other than that and relearning the ropes it is a great game for VR.

• Upvote 1

I am flabergasted however at how many FPS get taken away by that HUD instrument option. I can be running at 89 FPS regularly and one little press of the h key and I lose 25 to 30 FPS.  Hopefully a special VR key can be made to EASILY pop up either the map or the marker icons which don't seem to have much effect on FPS.  I know that I and M are supposed to handle that but half the time it doesnt work right and I either get no display or things flipping back and forth.

That is odd, they work fine for me with the HUD off.I have assigned I and O  commands to separate buttons on my Warthog throttle - and each press does as expected.

I leave the HUD off due to the performance hit from having it on.

Edited by dburne

Also an old(er) flight sim enthusiast back for the VR.  Falcon 4 was my fav.  Now Il2 in VR is a great addition to the VR options out there.  I would still like to see dynamic campaigns and such as Falcon had but I am enjoying it immensely so far.  

Other than that and relearning the ropes it is a great game for VR.

That's a great opportunity of learning full real flying  :cool:

Only thing you needed then is turning labels on for ID'ing targets. It works perfectly for me in VR...