VR Tips and Tricks

Some of our beta testers complained that they see some objects (for example, gunsight reticle) in double vision. There can be several reasons for it, so here are what you can do if you experience this:

3) Third, position your head correctly - your dominant eye should be behind the reticle. You can do this naturally just by moving your head in VR.

I'm new to VR but never going back!  This thread helped immensely, particularly number three that I've quoted above.  I have the double-vision reticle issue, but what I've learned is that in many cockpits there is a physical "iron sight" on the right of the gun sight.  If you line your right eye up so that is aligned, your left eye will see the projected crosshair in the hud on-target!  This might not be in every cockpit, and might be more accurate in some than others. This might be obvious or posted elsewhere, but really helped me, so i thought I'd share!

Hi there, 

Would anyone be willing to recommend some settings for me? I'm really enjoying using my rift but I don't feel that my settings are at their most optimal. I've been using balanced, 800x600 resolution, anti-aliasing 2x, medium clouds, with occulus tray tool supersampling at 1.3. Games been playable, but frame rates never go above 45. I'm a bit confused with the whole steam vr occulus tray tool settings and things, only used to non-vr games really!

i5-6500 3.2ghz 

Asus GTX1060 6GB

8GB DDR4

Games on an SSD

Thanks everyone, VR with this game is fantastic!

Aside from the tray tool, if you don't have it, just hit CTRL+numberpad1 at the start of the game and it disables it. Be sure to hit the numberpad and not the rows of numbers across the top of the keys. 

I'm having an issue where if I take my headset off and use my monitor my mouse works but when I put it on the mouse becomes disabled.

Gentleman,

What can be done to Sharpen view in VR?

-I cant read what is on the map.

-I cant read notifications from right menu when flying (throttle infos, engine infor, any other infos).

-From bottom menu only speed is quite visible.

Oculus Rift DK2

My settings:

https://gyazo.com/5d80398ff82f5122518dac4340a34672

https://gyazo.com/fcea2411a53ebf4a8436e68be98c9994

On 7/9/2018 at 10:30 AM, FirstToFight said:

Gentleman,

-I cant read notifications from right menu when flying (throttle infos, engine infor, any other infos).

A great deal of the visual acuity in VR depends on the HMD screen resolution; most written-for-VR titles do not require much visual sharpness, but those NOT originally written for VR, like IL-2, do.  I think that is because they rely, in part, on the reading of relatively small text, particularly as screen resolution goes up.

I used the original VIVE HMD for quite a while and worked on sharpening the image through various software tricks, but it wasn't until I bought an HMD with enough screen resolution (natively) that the visual acuity became satisfactory in non-VR titles, because they require reading small text to be satisfactorily functional.

Once I moved to the VIVE Pro, VR became real for me; until then, it was all blurry promise without visual satisfaction.  Now I can read those gauges, dials and screen text CLEARLY.  That makes all the difference in the VR world.

Sorry, but that is my truly expensive experience.  There is no going back once you reach that threshold.

On 7/9/2018 at 4:30 PM, FirstToFight said:

Gentleman,

Oculus Rift DK2

My settings:

https://gyazo.com/5d80398ff82f5122518dac4340a34672

https://gyazo.com/fcea2411a53ebf4a8436e68be98c9994

DK2?

You may not be able to do much with the legacy hardware. :(

On the CV1 I get acceptable graphics but they're far from clear at any distance.

I think you might be hindered with the physical limits of the DK2.

Hope someone can help you though!

L

Is there a way to decide at game launch, if you want to launch it in VR mode or without VR? I recall that this question was asked before (coconut?) and even answered (Sneaksie?), but can't find it.

On 4/20/2017 at 2:59 PM, EG1Apachesquirrel said:

I've also just got this for VR, along with a friend.   I second a lot of these points, especially the turret aiming.  I don't really sit at my desk so using the mouse is a no go, menus etc with hat switch would be great.

Running at two times super sampling with a GTX 1070 works fairly well, I've left the in game DRF at 1.0.  Similar to Elite dangerous, I have the Vive at 2x and the in-game stuff left at 1 or 0.8.

switching the HUD on and off is worth about 10FPS more.... although I turn it off for realism more than speed.

One thing I can't work with, the turret gun sights seem to be set up for your right eye.... I can't close my left one, so I'm having trouble aiming.  Is toggling this to the left possible??

Great game so far, and a better first VR implementation than many I've seen. 

you cant close your left eye? WTF! xD

You may as well be writing Chinese. You never mentioned Samsung Odyssey.. I just want a simple answer to my question, like "Do this, then this etc etc" nothing complicated. I'm flying my IL2 BoS in VR fine..I'm using a Thrustmaster Joystick.  I would like to have the switches, canopy etc. clickable with my mouse> How do I do it?

35 minutes ago, onlyforbrian said:

I would like to have the switches, canopy etc. clickable with my mouse> How do I do it?

You can't.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:10 AM, onlyforbrian said:

You may as well be writing Chinese. You never mentioned Samsung Odyssey.. I just want a simple answer to my question, like "Do this, then this etc etc" nothing complicated. I'm flying my IL2 BoS in VR fine..I'm using a Thrustmaster Joystick.  I would like to have the switches, canopy etc. clickable with my mouse> How do I do it?

BOS stopped that unfortunately. You'll have to go to either IL2 Cliff of Dover but it doesn't support VR or move to DCS where that's its default option.

If you've never tried DCS it jumped into clickable cockpits with both feet, unfortunately you need a NASA machine to run VR well in it.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 9:39 AM, Gungriffen said:

BOS stopped that unfortunately. You'll have to go to either IL2 Cliff of Dover but it doesn't support VR or move to DCS where that's its default option.

If you've never tried DCS it jumped into clickable cockpits with both feet, unfortunately you need a NASA machine to run VR well in it.

Thanks my friend , you need a NASA machine to run X-plane in VR too if you have lots of custom scenery and ortho4xp 😊👍

Edited by onlyforbrian
  • Upvote 1

Basically if Steam, it's offices, employers, computers, servers and their pet poodle named Leroy were all on fire I wouldn't pi$$ on them to put them out.

That being said I was thinking about getting an Oculus Rift. But if I have to use steam to use it no f-ing way. I'd rather light my big @ss on fire and run butt nekkid through a tack factory holding hands with that booger eating moron Donnie "Douchbag" Trump singing zipity do da zipity A all the d@mn way. (yes I hate both Steam and Trump that much)

So can the rift run without having to use steam vr?

Or am I just better off going old school and getting a track ir 5 pro?

Edited by [310th]Copperhead
  • Confused 1

You can use OpenComposit to bypass Steam. I don't have a Rift so don't know the details of implementation but I have read that it improves performance.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/71433/openovr-opencomposite-the-tool-youve-been-waiting-for-for-a-stutter-free-experience-in-openvr

Also, you can use Oculus Tray Tool to adjust SS (they call it Pixel Density) and ASW on/off.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

Edited by Gordon200

On 9/3/2019 at 4:19 AM, [310th]Copperhead said:

Basically if Steam, it's offices, employers, computers, servers and their pet poodle named Leroy were all on fire I wouldn't pi$$ on them to put them out.

That being said I was thinking about getting an Oculus Rift. But if I have to use steam to use it no f-ing way. I'd rather light my big @ss on fire and run butt nekkid through a tack factory holding hands with that booger eating moron Donnie "Douchbag" Trump singing zipity do da zipity A all the d@mn way. (yes I hate both Steam and Trump that much)

So can the rift run without having to use steam vr?

Or am I just better off going old school and getting a track ir 5 pro?

i think your anger of Steam is a bit misplaced and try to remember they are people too with all the faults that entails.

But regardless of that, I really recommend VR if your PC is up to it and funds permit.

Track IR *is* good, but for my money VR is the way forward.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, OrLoK said:

i think your anger of Steam is a bit misplaced and try to remember they are people too with all the faults that entails.

But regardless of that, I really recommend VR if your PC is up to it and funds permit.

I use steam for all my games and never had a problem with it. I think he's over-reacting. By the way, I have a Samsung Odyssey WMR VR headset.. VR is the only way to fly IL2 BoS

• Upvote 1

On 9/4/2019 at 9:15 AM, OrLoK said:

I have a Samsung Odyssey + WMR, and it runs off the Steam VR engine, and personally, I don't have a problem with Steam. My Odyssey runs like a dream on IL2 GB, literally no screen door to speak of, and I'm getting 40-50 fps on my lowly I7-3770, the scenery looks a bit misty but the cockpits are crystal clear. Rifts and Vives here in Canada are $600-700, but I've seen Odysseys going for $299. I missed that sale, still got mine for $399 CDN. 

On 9/3/2019 at 9:21 AM, Gordon200 said:

You can use OpenComposit to bypass Steam. I don't have a Rift so don't know the details of implementation but I have read that it improves performance.

In other games a little, but in this one, performance improvements are huge for me with OpenComposite 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, II./JG77_Kemp said:

Is there a way to decide at game launch, if you want to launch it in VR mode or without VR? I recall that this question was asked before (coconut?) and even answered (Sneaksie?), but can't find it.

The launcher's "Settings" tab includes an option to use VR before you enter the sim itself.

Posted (edited)

EDIT: Never mind.  I had my startup.cfg set to read only.  That was my problem.  You can delete this post.

Edited by WWGriphos

Does the new update requires new settings to archive optimal performance? I am using a slightly overclocked GTX-1070ti with the Valve Index and struggling to find the optimal settings… I am confused about the new AA options, if they are still needed if I use Super Sampling on SteamVR, etc.

• Like 1

If it would be a good point, if people can contribute their settings, visor, and PC. I start in case someone wants to try.

image.thumb.png.4f13f33edef5fcfea2c5182ec38daf3b.png

image.thumb.png.b6cbc028b769888520a67db0c2fa6788.png

image.png.32c506ee21f2cdbd29f498d4713be245.png

GPU:1070

CPU: I7 5820K 4,4Mhz

HMD: Samsung Odisey +

SS: 136%steam Vr

fps: 40-65

Posted (edited)

1362499424_Sinttulo-1.thumb.jpg.d992fd07cbeed2194a150b3b76bc8db3.jpg

171879611_Sinttulo-0.thumb.jpg.19224e6feee06f9a44f351d6e7381466.jpg

gpu.gif.c08d82b45d75d3bdfe1bee3eb924b8ab.gif in summer time! 😅

1466773900_Sinttulo-2.jpg.108cc638237989359371a9509da17998.jpg

GPU: RTX 2080Ti

CPU: I7 9700K 4,9Mhz

RAM: 32 GB

HMD: Samsung Odisey +

SS: 182% Steam VR

fps: mostly 90 , occasional drops to 85 or 75 with a lot of load near gound.

startup.cfg

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 0
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    canopy_ref = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 4096
    draw_distance = 0.54500
    far_blocks = 1
    fps_counter = 1
    fps_limit = 0
    full_height = 1080
    full_width = 1920
    fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 0.80000
    grass_distance = 100.00000
    hdr_enable = 1
    land_anisotropy = 2
    land_tex_lods = 2
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 2
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 1
    msaa = 1
    multisampling = 1
    or_ca = 0.01143
    or_dummy = 0
    or_enable = 1
    or_height = 2440
    or_hud_rad = 0.70000
    or_hud_size = 1.00000
    or_ipd = 0.06070
    or_sipdc = -0.00000
    or_width = 1952
    post_sharpen = 1
    preset = 1
    prop_blur_max_rpm_for_vr = -1
    rescale_target = 1.00000
    shadows_quality = 2
    ssao_enable = 0
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 480
    win_width = 640

Edited by Ala13_armanGT_VR
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Never mind - I found what I sought after reading patch notes.

Edited by JD_LincsUK
sorted

Where is the VR zoom(hold) option. I think I’ve look at all the options in settings? Is it in the pilot’s view option?

Maybe off topic - how well can you bread gauges in vr in IL-2?  Thanks 

No issue at all, even when located on the wings like in some of the ww1 birds.  Make sure that you set up the command Maximum Zoom which is a hold toggle zoom for VR, and set Sharpen in your graphic settings to maximum.

On 7/13/2020 at 11:36 AM, Lawheadrg said:

Where is the VR zoom(hold) option. I think I’ve look at all the options in settings? Is it in the pilot’s view option?

I came here trying to figure out the same thing.  You're looking for the command Quick Zoom: Maximum under pilot head controls on the key bindings menu.  You do not need to set a minimum zoom key as this is a hold toggle binding.  As soon as you let go your view returns to normal.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:30 AM, Swine said:

Maybe off topic - how well can you bread gauges in vr in IL-2?  Thanks 

That's easy, just look at them. Never used zoom in looking at them.

actually depends of ur headset. Original rift and other old hmds have quite low resolution so gauges might not be readable without zoom. New hmds have better resolution and gauges are easy to read without zoom.