VR Tips and Tricks

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Sneaksie

Sneaksie
  • Developer

Posted 13 April 2017 - 16:25

VR Tips and Tricks

Here are some tips & tricks you may already know that will help set up your VR for IL-2 (but it may be useful for other games).

IL-2 Sturmovik uses Open VR interface, meaning you need to have Steam VR application installed on your PC. If you have HTC Vive, it is already installed (or you won't be able to use it in other games). However, if you have Oculus Rift, you may or may not have it installed. So, the first step would be installing Steam, logging into your Steam account and installing Steam VR from Steam store.

Run Steam VR to set up your Oculus Rift there: run Room Setup. Make sure it works fine for you in Steam VR tutorial. HTC Vive users have this set up already.

Run IL-2 Sturmovik. If Oculus Home and Steam VR applications are not active, it should launch them by itself. When the game loads, your HMD should be working already and you should see the VR image from one of the eye screens on your regular monitor. Oculus Home and Steam VR windows may obscure the IL-2 window on your regular monitor so minimize them and click on IL-2 Sturmovik window to return focus to it (that's how Windows works)

If you launch IL-2 and VR mode doesn't kick in, make sure that Steam VR (and Oculus Home if you have Oculus Rift) are installed and configured properly, and/or launch them manually before starting the game. If VR still won't kick in, go to graphics settings of the game and check that 'Use VR HMD' option is on. While you're at it, note the new graphics options there: Sharpen and Dynamic resolution factor.

Sharpen is a post process visual filter that makes everything, well, sharper. This is especially useful to increase clarity in VR so you could read your 'real' cockpit instruments better, but it gives good results if you want a crisper picture while playing on a regular monitor as well. It has little impact on the performance, so try it and see if you like the new look.

Dynamic resolution factor is a new method for keeping your frames per second (FPS) steady. Its value can be set from 0.5 (half the original resolution) to 1.0 (full resolution). If you set it to 1.0, you'll be turning it off and everything will work as before. If you set it to a lower value, you're telling the game it's Ok to degrade the rendering quality to this value to keep the FPS close to the value you set in Target FPS drop-down list here. So if you set Target FPS to 144 and Dynamic resolution factor to 0.5, the game will lower the rendering quality up to 0.5 of the original resolution trying to keep that high frame rate you specified. You can experiment with these values to find out what FPS you can achieve on your PC without degrading the visual quality too much. On a regular monitor, quality degradation is more apparent than in VR HMD, so this feature is especially useful for VR.

Please note, that Target FPS value is ignored in VR - it is set to HMD refresh rate (90 FPS or 45 FPS when it is lower than 90 and HMD driver automatically engages ASW if you're using Oculus and Reprojection for Vive). You can Google what these technologies do - basically, they generate new frames depending on previous ones to show you if PC performance level is insufficient to output 90 FPS. Target FPS parameter is also ignored if you use a regular monitor and check V-Sync option here - in this case it ties to your monitor refresh rate.

Another settings screen, Camera settings, include another new option - Limit VR view. When it is on, your virtual head won't be able outside cockpit or inside the instruments panel. While it makes perfect sense, it may be uncomfortable in VR - when your real head continues to move (there is nothing to stop it at your home unless you go too far and hit a wall or your PC), but your virtual head in the cockpit stops because it just hit a canopy, you may have a dizzy feeling. It should be noted that other sims don't have the limited VR view at all, but in IL-2 you can turn this on or off. This option will be ignored (the view will be limited) if Allow spectators option is turned off in difficulty settings (for example, on Expert difficulty multiplayer servers) to prevent cheating.

Now, there are special commands in Camera controls that you'll be using a lot in VR. First one is Default VR view - you can use it to set up a default view. If you're off to the side in the cockpit, look straight in front of view and press this button (Numpad 5 by default) - you'll be positioned in the center behind the gunsight.

Another command is VR camera zoom (hold). This is a special zoom button for VR, press and hold this button and you'll get 2X magnification to spot distant objects. It may cause nausea if you keep the button pressed and turn your head, beware.

Another tip we can give you to improve the performance is turning the in-game HUD off (H key). VR provides unique ability to read 'real' cockpit instruments at a glance, so try to use it! It can give you a huge performance boost, especially in complex missions with many objects. With HUD turned off, you can still see object markers (press I key to turn them on).

Setting the resolution in game settings to a low setting like 1024x768 or even less may significantly improve your performance in VR (VR resolution is fixed and won't change, but the game will spend less time drawing its window on the monitor).

When you look down in the cockpit, you'll see a blue ring. This is Steam VR safety feature called chaperone boundaries so we can't turn it off in the game. You can turn it by editing a certain file on your PC (maybe it will be made easier in the future), Google 'turn off chaperone boundaries'.

Some of our beta testers complained that they see some objects (for example, gunsight reticle) in double vision. There can be several reasons for it, so here are what you can do if you experience this:

1) First of all, make sure your inter-pupil distance is set up correctly. Its control is located on the right of your HMD. Adjust it so the on-screen tip shows your inter-pupil distance correctly (you know its value if you use glasses).
2) Second, understand that playing in VR is completely different to playing on a regular flat screen, even if you're accustomed to Track IR or Freetrack. Objects have different depths, you can focus either on close objects or on distant ones, like in real life. If you focus on the cockpit elements or gunsight body, its reticle will be in double vision as well as a target you're trying to hit (collimator reticle is a virtual distant object). When you're aiming at an enemy aircraft or ground vehicle, focus your eyes on it, then the reticle should be in focus as well (but your canopy and gunsight body will be in a double vision like they will be in such situation in the real life).
3) Third, position your head correctly - your dominant eye should be behind the reticle. You can do this naturally just by moving your head in VR.
3) Fourth, this is a highly subjective issue. Some of the users (and us developers) don't have any problems while using an aiming sight, some resolved them when they accustomed to playing a sim in VR and for some nothing we could adjust helped. This is a highly specialized problem for VR genre - in a usual VR game the developers keep the user from this issue by avoiding situations when you have very close and distant objects at once, but this is impossible in a combat flight sim where a pilot constantly needs to switch focus from close instruments to distant targets. If you have this problem no matter what, it may be best to close one eye and aim with your dominant eye only. You'll lose stereo perception so it isn't ideal, but many people aim their guns this way and do fine.

We spent much time to implement the VR support. We hope you'll like the result and the new immersion level it gives to virtual pilots! See you in the sky!

#2 307_Tomcat

307_Tomcat
  • Founder

Posted 13 April 2017 - 18:20

Thanks, btw i noticed 3dhud option in graphics section of startup.cfg what is for?

#3 Sneaksie

Sneaksie
  • Developer

Posted 13 April 2017 - 18:37

It turns on VR-like HUD without VR goggles.

#4 307_Tomcat

307_Tomcat
  • Founder

Posted 13 April 2017 - 19:31

Thanks

#5 Beazil

Beazil
  • Founder

Posted 13 April 2017 - 19:34

Thank you Sneaksie! I will try these settings out and report back in this thread. S!

#6 Darkangel26

Darkangel26

Posted 14 April 2017 - 17:23

I'm new to steam VR, but I had success getting rid of the chaperone by selecting large room in the room setup.

#7 das_bubba

das_bubba
  • Founder

Posted 14 April 2017 - 18:08

This is the first VR flight sim I have used and it will be the bar that I measure all else against. Great job!

Since I jumped right in, I made the mistake of not wearing the headset when entering the game and that causes lots of issues with menus and game play. Since I had put my HMD on an adjacent table which was a two feet lower then my normal HMD position, my head ended up sticking out of the cockpit when I tried a quick session. When I went to bank I felt like I was falling. A "Recenter HMD display key binding" was mentioned but for the life of me I cannot find it on any input menu?

Once disconcerting thing though is that if i move forward and back or side to side the plane move with me in order to keep me centered in the cockpit I guess? I find that movement very unnatural and contributes to vertigo.

#8 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 14 April 2017 - 20:37

Setting the resolution in game settings to a low setting like 1024x768 or even less may significantly improve your performance in VR

The problem is that the mouse cursor won't reach all parts of the screen if one chooses a small resolution. The smallest that still worked for me was 1280x1024.

intel core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz, nvidia 980ti, Acer predator XB271HU 1440p 144Hz, Oculus Rift. Win10 Home

My missions | My server

#9 SYN_Skydance

SYN_Skydance
  • Founder

Posted 14 April 2017 - 20:44

Re-center VR headset with number pad key "5"

Edited by SYN_Skydance, 14 April 2017 - 20:44.

i7 7700k, GTX 1080Ti,16G RAM, TrackIR, Warthog HOTAS joystick, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, Saitec throttle quadrants with trim wheel, HTC Vive

random_expert_chrome.png

#10 das_bubba

das_bubba
  • Founder

Posted 15 April 2017 - 19:26

SYN_SKydance - Thanks for the info.

#11 FlyingWaffle

FlyingWaffle

Posted 17 April 2017 - 16:20

The problem is that the mouse cursor won't reach all parts of the screen if one chooses a small resolution. The smallest that still worked for me was 1280x1024.

I had the same issue, but it seems to be only a problem for the initial loggin step, i.e. my mouse can't seem to reach the "Enter" button, but if I just pressed enter/return on the keyboard, I get logged in, then I had no problem reaching any part of the screen with my mouse.

#12 OrLoK

OrLoK

Posted 17 April 2017 - 16:51

Can confirm, hitting enter works

#13 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 17 April 2017 - 17:04

Yes, it works for me too now. Not sure if it's a fix, or if I changed something in my config. Might be exclusive_input=1. Without that, the mouse leaves the "flat window" and that causes all sorts of problems with the pointer in the game.

intel core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz, nvidia 980ti, Acer predator XB271HU 1440p 144Hz, Oculus Rift. Win10 Home

My missions | My server

#14 FlyingWaffle

FlyingWaffle

Posted 17 April 2017 - 17:20

I'm new to IL2 BoS, and just got on board with this new VR feature.

I played for a few hours last week and this weekend, a few comments/questions:

- is there a way to display the framerate in VR? I'm using the Rift with a gtx 1080 ti, with default High settings, but I suspect that ASW is engaged most of the time. There seems to be some weird graphical shimmering going on around the area that's covered by the propeller, especially the reticle sight tends to render in a strange way (there's some ghosting going on that reminds me of ASW artifacts).

- I tried using the dynamic resolution factor, but the loss of resolution has too much impact on the experience in my opinion (but probably a nice to have on the Vive where there's no ASW?).

- it does seem like there's something slightly off with the way the game uses IPD values. The game creates a slight strain (very mild) that I don't get in other sims (like DCS or Assetto Corsa, etc).

- VR zoom works pretty well.

- It would be neat if turrets could use gaze aiming in VR (having to use a mouse is always a bit awkward in VR).

- Is there a way to remap menu navigation/mouse click using buttons on a HOTAS?

With all that said, the game is really really amazing in VR. I'm recommending it to all my friends.

Edited by FlyingWaffle, 17 April 2017 - 17:22.

#15 1./KG4_Blackwolf

1./KG4_Blackwolf
  • Founder

Posted 17 April 2017 - 22:45

Backspace turns on your FPS counter but it shows in the upper right corner only if you turn your head it wont turn with you.

In the Startup config the line "or_ipd = 0.06560" maybe the adjustment. I'm not sure,I just used the knob on the Vive to adjust it a little. I don't know how the Rift adjust IPD.

1./KG4_BK,
Team Dumptruck, LaGG-3

#16 EG1Apachesquirrel

EG1Apachesquirrel

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:59

I'm new to IL2 BoS, and just got on board with this new VR feature.

I played for a few hours last week and this weekend, a few comments/questions:

- is there a way to display the framerate in VR? I'm using the Rift with a gtx 1080 ti, with default High settings, but I suspect that ASW is engaged most of the time. There seems to be some weird graphical shimmering going on around the area that's covered by the propeller, especially the reticle sight tends to render in a strange way (there's some ghosting going on that reminds me of ASW artifacts).

- I tried using the dynamic resolution factor, but the loss of resolution has too much impact on the experience in my opinion (but probably a nice to have on the Vive where there's no ASW?).

- it does seem like there's something slightly off with the way the game uses IPD values. The game creates a slight strain (very mild) that I don't get in other sims (like DCS or Assetto Corsa, etc).

- VR zoom works pretty well.

- It would be neat if turrets could use gaze aiming in VR (having to use a mouse is always a bit awkward in VR).

- Is there a way to remap menu navigation/mouse click using buttons on a HOTAS?

With all that said, the game is really really amazing in VR. I'm recommending it to all my friends.

I've also just got this for VR, along with a friend.   I second a lot of these points, especially the turret aiming.  I don't really sit at my desk so using the mouse is a no go, menus etc with hat switch would be great.

Running at two times super sampling with a GTX 1070 works fairly well, I've left the in game DRF at 1.0.  Similar to Elite dangerous, I have the Vive at 2x and the in-game stuff left at 1 or 0.8.

switching the HUD on and off is worth about 10FPS more.... although I turn it off for realism more than speed.

One thing I can't work with, the turret gun sights seem to be set up for your right eye.... I can't close my left one, so I'm having trouble aiming.  Is toggling this to the left possible??

Great game so far, and a better first VR implementation than many I've seen. 

Edited by EG1Apachesquirrel, 20 April 2017 - 13:02.

#17 71st_AH_Mastiff

71st_AH_Mastiff
  • Tester

Posted 20 April 2017 - 15:56

also try setting your pre rendered frames to =1

Attached File  set1.jpg   122.26KB   32 downloads

Attached File  set12.jpg   108.97KB   23 downloads

"any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater comeback"

#18 FlyingWaffle

FlyingWaffle

Posted 21 April 2017 - 13:17

also try setting your pre rendered frames to =1

attachicon.gifset1.jpg

attachicon.gifset12.jpg

Thanks! Will try!

#19 =SqSq=switch201

=SqSq=switch201

Posted 26 April 2017 - 18:34

I have a GTX 980 TI with oculus and I love this game so much now. I have never played any flight sims online, but with this game I am starting to do that. It can be very immersive. one thing I am having the most trouble with is IDing planes. the VR zoom feature doesn't seem to help me too much, because even when zoomed in the planes look pretty pixelated.

right now I have SS set to 1.4, no AA, Graphics set to lowest setting. I have ASW on but Interleaved reprojection turned off. I have my SS at 1.4 to play onward but I am wondering if I could too crank it up to 2.0 and if that would make a difference.

Has any one else come up with the best settings for spotting in VR?

#20 =TBAS=Tripwire

=TBAS=Tripwire
  • Founder

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:39

I'm still running SS at 1.0 due to my poor 970 not being able to keep up.

Identification of planes is difficult but I am finding that the more time I am spending ingame the better I am getting even with the resolution limitations. Can't wait to upgrade and bump up to 1.5 SS.

I have had a few years experience for ingame target identification prior to VR though.

I think with more VR hours people will increase their ability to effectively use the zoom and be able to ID. Zoom is a bit visually uncomfortable unless you don't move your head.

i7-7700k @ 4.8 | 16GB RAM | GTX1080ti | M2 SSD | TrackIR4 | HTC Vive | MSFFB2 + Joytokey | MFG Crosswind Pedals

#21 SvAF/F19_Pluto

SvAF/F19_Pluto

Posted 01 May 2017 - 17:53

Spent four days to try to solve the problem with low fps

Have a good machine ought to be near 90 but was 40-45.

And then I noticed my cpu temperature was almost 100 degres celsius!!!

Changed the cpu fan and problem is fixed. :P

#22 Chary

Chary

Posted 01 May 2017 - 23:31

I'm using a Rift and get the "DISTANCE BETWEEN LENSES XXX.XMM" message popping up frequently and at the most inopportune times. I have seen reports of this in other programs that use the Rift and OpenVR, though no one seems to know the cause. It does not seem to be related to a loose IPD switch.

On the off chance, does anyone know a cause/fix for this? Is the problem at all widespread?

#23 Praetor

Praetor
  • Founder

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:29

Can someone please explain to me how to change my supersampling settings?

#24 von_Tom

von_Tom
  • Founder

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:01

Can someone please explain to me how to change my supersampling settings?

There are several ways, all by using various utilities.  You can use the Oculus SDK debug tool or my preferred option which is the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) - https://forums.oculu...es-hopefully/p1.

When you install it you will see that you can set profiles for games.  Link it to Launcher.exe (right-click your IL2 desktop icon to check the path of Launcher) and you can see that you can set it to a number of settings via drop down.  Also make sure that ASW is off otherwise you get weird graphical glitches especially with the 109 reticule.

With OTT the settings are mostly self-explanatory and you can even set it to start with Windows etc.

Good luck

von Tom

You have to learn the rules of the game.  And then you have to play better than anyone else.      Albert Einstein

Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.     Douglas Bader

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers.  Make your choice.    Derek Robinson (Piece of Cake 1983)

#25 LordAmaury

LordAmaury

Posted 30 June 2017 - 17:50

Hi everyone,

nice to meet you all. I'm french so I apologise for my english. This is my first post on this forum and I wanted to share my VR experience with this game. In one word : it's incredible !

At the beginning I was a bit sick but now it's fine. I've read about some of you having problems with aiming and the double vision reticle. I have tryed some different camera axes

and for me the main problem of the original camera position is that it centers right in front of the reticle, it's not the real pilot head position. By slightly tweaking camera position to

center it on the pilot seat, with a perfect centering in the cockpit (like the real pilot head position), the reticle perfectly align with my right eye, so I haven't got to position my own head

or to close one eye to aim.

I encourage you to try it. If I may ask that to developpers, I think that adding a few preset of camera position for VR purpose would be great. As I always have to tweak my camera for the moment.

Hope my post will help.

Bye !

Amaury

#26 vladimusmaximus

vladimusmaximus

Posted 01 July 2017 - 14:03

The VR has definitely come a long way on this game and I quite enjoy it. However, currently on Vive / Steam, there are a TON of bugs when loading the game. 1/2 the time it either crashes, or 1/2 the time it clicks between the game and steam interface like 200x as it's loading trying to login. 

Also, the cockpit glass, make visibility of the environment and other aircraft, especially in weather, VERY difficult. Maybe requires some tweaking for VR?

#27 OrLoK

OrLoK

Posted 01 July 2017 - 19:56

Im not so fussed at the *loading* flicker, it's the in game map flicker i hate :(

#28 TP_Jacko

TP_Jacko
  • Founder

Posted 17 July 2017 - 15:45

As I am an older man "cough". I have glasses with a prescription for reading and long distance.  Which would be the best for VR close up reading or distance.

Cheers

#29 FFS_Veiland

FFS_Veiland
  • Founder

Posted 17 July 2017 - 20:43

Whatever you need to see something clearly at about 1.5 meter. Thats roughly the focal length of the Vive and Rift (I seem to remember that Vive is slightly less than 1.5m and rift slightly more than 1.5m)

Im nearsighted at about -2.0. Its ok for me to use the Vive without glasses/lenses but its better with correction, so when ever i plan on using Vive for more than an hour i put on some lenses.

Not sure how it works but its clearer with lenses even when im looking at something real close in VR,

#30 TP_Jacko

TP_Jacko
  • Founder

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:44

Thanks FFS_Veiland,

The 1.5m gives me something to work on. I probably have a pair of glasses that are optimised for that distance :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users