VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 9th/Dec/2020

peregrine7

So how the heck do you guys identify planes in multiplayer? I am almost tempted to try getting my homemade 3 point tracker system working again. Singleplayer is incredible with the headset, however I use tags. In multiplayer I find I can only tell who's who by who our AA guns are firing at. Thank god the tracers are color coded haha.

Edited by grimm862

7 hours ago, grimm862 said:

So how the heck do you guys identify planes in multiplayer? I am almost tempted to try getting my homemade 3 point tracker system working again. Singleplayer is incredible with the headset, however I use tags. In multiplayer I find I can only tell who's who by who our AA guns are firing at. Thank god the tracers are color coded haha.

Try Lefuneste's 3d migoto mod. It's a must have for MP. It has improved zoom and some other features. It might take some reading to set it up properly but we can help you out in the thread in case any issues. 

• Upvote 1

polnoch_ksu
On 6/5/2018 at 12:47 AM, peregrine7 said:

With games like simracing, flightsims etc most things are physically dependent and therefore separating things out is not doable / efficient.

There are games which use hundreds of threads to calculate physics(in GPU), example: "Jelly in the sky" .

So, I do not suggest using video card to calculate physics, but I suggest to not use only 4 threads. We're in 2018th year! The new CPU, including i5 and r5, not only i7 and r7, have up to 6-12 threads. In the near future(next mainstream i7 CPU, comes in current year, will have 8 cores!) they'll have 16 cores, maybe 32 (AMD, I think, should answer to new i7 with 8 cores).

So, DX11 is outdated. Maybe good idea to rewrite engine to use DX12 or Vulcan (and Vulcan can helps to run the game in Linux , OS X and Windows 7. Not only win10 - DX12)?

Edited by polnoch_ksu

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Good idea, and I imagine literally everyone here agrees with you polnoch. 

But it's the wrong address to suggest it. The one pulling the strings in this regard, AFAIK doing the project management, is Jason.

J5_NiiranenVR-Gfr

Well , i have to have it 'for dummies'  🤔🙄😳

Where do you find ss and Advanced S. F. In steam vr .....

And I find no SS settings in the graphics settings in the game 

And and 

How do i go to the graphics confic in the PC startup ???

Thanx 

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Hi Sire, 

welcome to the VR community! 

You'll find supersampling in SteamVR's settings, then select manual override under Video. Under Developer you'll find the Adv SS Filter. 

In the game there is Anti-Aliasing, but no way to edit VR's own SS settings. Please do that using SteamVR. You can also download and install "Advanced OpenVR" (Google has details) to change it while you're already in VR! 

P.S. VR takes a bit of studying how to do what and which, it's not ready out of the box for IL-2 since IL-2 originally wasn't made for VR. It may take a few hours but the joy of having it set up properly makes up for the several hours invested. It's like modding SkyrimVR. Takes time, but dang, it's worth it when done

• Thanks 1

Oh my. Thank you so much for this. I have been wrestling with my Oculus settings and not winning. Your settings have got me were i wanted to be and more.

Simply great work. Thank you!

Just want to say that with that mod and these configs I went from flying for hours and never even engaging a target to landing my first online vr kill within 5 minutes of takeoff in a yak1-s69. The zoom enables me to correctly identify threats instead of always guessing. I didn't have a spotting issue just a indetifying issue and this solved it. Thanks a ton. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Just want to say that with that mod and these configs I went from flying for hours and never even engaging a target to landing my first online vr kill within 5 minutes of takeoff in a yak1-s69. The zoom enables me to correctly identify threats instead of always guessing. I didn't have a spotting issue just a indetifying issue and this solved it. Thanks a ton. 

Agreed, that was the largest improvement for me as well. I flew a whole TAW campaign without this mod, and always had to fly within gun range to even ID people.. very much less than ideal. Being able to ID from far away is amazing.

JG51_Beazil

Anyone here a vive user?

Edit:  Okay, well, it works and looks nice.  I'm having trouble with a double image and zoom though - currently reading threads for a fix...

Edited by Beazil

I went a very different way: Steam SS to 140%, enable advanced super sampling thingy in steam. Ingame: preset high, NO AA and lefunestes mod. I can spot targets easily, a clear and crisp image and lots of performance because of no AA, gamma to 0.8 and shadows high, terrain blurry, normal distance and 70km view range. 

Gungriffen

I'm having an issue where if I take my headset off and use my monitor my mouse works but when I put it on the mouse becomes disabled.

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Hi Beazil,

the herementioned copy and paste settings for lefuneste's mod are for Rift or Odyssey users. There need to be different values for each headset, as they demand to be customized. Have you found some working for the Vive so far? I could add some for the Vive, but since I've given my Vive away a while ago, I would not be able to confirm their validity 100% on my own, and thus decided not to post them. 🙁

I will check later if I find some in lefuneste's thread and include them here as well. 

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

FirstToFight

Gentleman,

What can be done to Sharpen view in VR?

-I cant read what is on the map.

-I cant read notifications from right menu when flying (throttle infos, engine infor, any other infos).

-From bottom menu only speed is quite visible.

Oculus Rift DK2

My settings:

https://gyazo.com/5d80398ff82f5122518dac4340a34672

https://gyazo.com/fcea2411a53ebf4a8436e68be98c9994

On 7/3/2018 at 4:45 PM, LuSi_6 said:

I went a very different way: Steam SS to 140%, enable advanced super sampling thingy in steam. Ingame: preset high, NO AA and lefunestes mod. I can spot targets easily, a clear and crisp image and lots of performance because of no AA, gamma to 0.8 and shadows high, terrain blurry, normal distance and 70km view range. 

I don't get lots of performance doing these settings, but that'd be due to hardware differences I'm sure. Just note that as you head over ~110% supersampling on Rift the apparent size of aircraft diminishes rapidly. You must have a great PC to run at those settings in VR!

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2018 at 10:30 AM, FirstToFight said:

Gentleman,

-I cant read notifications from right menu when flying (throttle infos, engine infor, any other infos).

A great deal of the visual acuity in VR depends on the HMD screen resolution; most written-for-VR titles do not require much visual sharpness, but those NOT originally written for VR, like IL-2, do.  I think that is because they rely, in part, on the reading of relatively small text, particularly as screen resolution goes up.

I used the original VIVE HMD for quite a while and worked on sharpening the image through various software tricks, but it wasn't until I bought an HMD with enough screen resolution (natively) that the visual acuity became satisfactory in non-VR titles, because they require reading small text to be satisfactorily functional.

Once I moved to the VIVE Pro, VR became real for me; until then, it was all blurry promise without visual satisfaction.  Now I can read those gauges, dials and screen text CLEARLY.  That makes all the difference in the VR world.

Sorry, but that is my truly expensive experience.  There is no going back once you reach that threshold.

On 7/9/2018 at 4:30 PM, FirstToFight said:

Gentleman,

Oculus Rift DK2

My settings:

https://gyazo.com/5d80398ff82f5122518dac4340a34672

https://gyazo.com/fcea2411a53ebf4a8436e68be98c9994

DK2?

You may not be able to do much with the legacy hardware. :(

On the CV1 I get acceptable graphics but they're far from clear at any distance.

I think you might be hindered with the physical limits of the DK2.

Hope someone can help you though!

L

On 7/11/2018 at 3:03 AM, peregrine7 said:

I don't get lots of performance doing these settings, but that'd be due to hardware differences I'm sure. Just note that as you head over ~110% supersampling on Rift the apparent size of aircraft diminishes rapidly. You must have a great PC to run at those settings in VR!

a 1080TI and a good i7, not great but good enough. I see no big difference in size, 130 to 140% in SteamVR is the sweet spot for me. Actually, now I disabled the ingame sharpen effect, which gives me a very static ground and easy spotting. 

C6_Werner_VR

Hello.

Here are my regulations staff for the odyssey in online.

create only for Bos, system full watercooling Xflow, i7 7700K@5Ghz Delid, Aorus Xtreme 1080Ti @ 2100/6318Mhz, DDR4 2x8G@3200Mhz.

1529922099-20180623-112422.jpg 

1529506287-20180620-162550-richtone-hdr.

Cinematic @ 0

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 0
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 2048
    draw_distance = 0.27400
    fps_counter = 0
    fps_limit = 60
    full_height = 600
    full_width = 800
    fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 0.90000
    grass_distance = 000.00000
    hdr_enable = 1
    land_anisotropy = 2
    land_tex_lods = 3
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 2
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 1
    multisampling = 1
    or_enable = 1
    or_height = 2027
    or_hud_rad = 1.50000
    or_hud_size = 0.75000
    or_ipd = 0.07120
    or_width = 1627
    post_sharpen = 1
    preset = 2
    rescale_target = 0.90000
    shadows_quality = 2
    ssao_enable = 1
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 600
    win_width = 800
[END]

MixedRealityVRDriver.

Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation 
        // motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
        // "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",
        // "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",        
        // Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected

Regulation in Windows mixed reality, everything on auto.

Regulation SteamVR: manual Mode 1627x2027, authorize the permanent reprojection, async and interlaced off as well as the supersampling.

Bench SCG_Fenris_Wolf, Odyssey and Rift on my PC.
Rift: Frames: 13124 - Time: 200000ms - Avg: 65.620 - Min: 40 - Max: 91
Odyssey: Frames: 10706 - Time: 200000ms - Avg: 53.530 - Min: 43 - Max: 91

Edited by C6_Werner
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
C6_Werner_VR

Thx.

This config allows me to play it VR and to host summer coop for French.

1532553029-coop.png

SYN_Blackrat

Hi,

Thanks very much for taking the time to do all this, saved me a lot of time, I think i have just about got it figured out, but I couldn't get the 5x and 10x zoom to work, I noticed in your d3dx.ini you have the following

[Key1]
;set high zoom on
Key = no_ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DOWN
type = hold
; modify here the first value you want to use for zoom increase
w = 10.0

y6 = 1.31
x7 = -0.15
y7 = -0.85

[Key2]
;set  zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DOWN
type = hold
w = 1.5
;common settings
x7 = 0.0
y7 = 0.0

[Key3]
;set med zoom on
Key = no_ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_UP
type = hold
w = 5.0

y6 = 0.6
x7 = -0.15
y7 = -0.425 

I changed it to the following and all worked

[Key1]
;set high zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DOWN
type = hold
w = 10.0

y6 = 1.31
x7 = -0.15
y7 = -0.85

[Key2]
;set  zoom on
Key = no_ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DOWN
type = hold
w = 1.5
;common settings
x7 = 0.0
y7 = 0.0

[Key3]
;set med zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_UP
type = hold
w = 5.0

y6 = 0.6
x7 = -0.15
y7 = -0.425 

Not sure if it was an error, or I have changed the wrong thing, but I get x5 and x10 zoom now?

It should work either way.  only difference between both is pressing only arrow key or alt+arrow key to get zoom.

And tried your VR settings couple days ago, difference is like night and day what i had before, much more enjoyable to fly now.

latest?cb=20170928175222

Edited by Macross

SYN_Blackrat
2 hours ago, Macross said:

It should work either way.  only difference between both is pressing only arrow key or alt+arrow key to get zoom.

And tried your VR settings couple days ago, difference is like night and day what i had before, much more enjoyable to fly now.

latest?cb=20170928175222

indeed, but then

With the freeware (you can donate to them if you want) Joy2Key you can bind ALT+ArrowUp for 5x zoom to a Joystick button, and ALT+ArrowDown for 10x zoom to another Joystick button.

Needs to be changed, not everyone can sort out ini files.

On 2/18/2018 at 10:53 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

2) And a part from my startup.cfg, replace your graphics part with this:

Hi Fenris_Wolf,

I'm a noob here and am trying to get good settings for my Rig + Oculus Rift, is your edited startup.cfg any good for a GTX 1060 6Gb? Any thoughts?

Here is my Sys Specs:

6th Gen core i5 6400 2.7 Ghz, turbo boost to 3.2 Ghz (I don't know how to enable turbo boost, so for now it runs at stock 2.7 Ghz) on socket 1151

16 Gb DDR4 ram memory (1600 Mhz?)

M2 120 Gb SSD

Asus GeForce GTX 1060  6 Gb DDR5

Thanks,

Algy 'Ginger' Lacey

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Hi Algy, 

The settings are from my machine, an I7 7700K at 4.9GHz, DDR4 memory at 3200MHz, SSD, and a GTX1080 with powertarget at 110%. 

I don't think the rig you mentioned could hold an adequate framerate with these settings. 

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

@Algy-Lacey , you can lower shadows to 2 , preset to 1, grass_distance to 0, land_tex_lods to 1, multisampling to 1. Maybe this will bring up your FPS. I still recommend you to use the migoto mod and its settings for your Rift or Odyssey.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

@Algy-Lacey , you can lower shadows to 2 , preset to 1, grass_distance to 0, land_tex_lods to 1, multisampling to 1. Maybe this will bring up your FPS. I still recommend you to use the migoto mod and its settings for your Rift or Odyssey.

Nice one, SCG_Fenris_Wolf... (How do I include someone's name in Blue like you did with my name? I'm guessing that notifies the person tagged?)

I will give those settings a try this evening.

And Lefuneste's 3DMigoto Mod is going to be essential for me, due to my slow rig I will be running constant ASW 45fps, with the propellor turned off so there are no artefacts.

And lastly, thanks for the tip in your original post - that putting Landscape Filter to Blurry will correct the shimmering textures that I experienced the first time I tried IL-2 BOK.

Algy 'Ginger' Lacey

On 3/30/2018 at 4:08 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Since 3.001, I also use these settings on "High".

Summary:

Presets High

Mirror Medium

Shadows High

Landscape Filter Blurry

Landscape Range 4x

Clouds High

AA 4x

Dyn Res 1.0

Gamma 0.8

HDR 0

SSAO 0

Sharpen 1

4k textures 1

SteamVR SS/PD off

Lefuneste's mod installed

5x zoom on one button

10x lefuneste's zoom on secondary button (use JoyToKey to map both to your secondary Joystick Button)

ColorFix at 1.16 (you must edit the w6 variable, then activate it ingame via alt+u).

Violá :fly:

Hey fenris,

I use your copy and paste settings, do those in the startup config effect the ingame options as well? The color correction maybe due to the gamma adjustment makes planes so much easier to spot and I don't want to change the preset to mess anything up, I only have a 1070 so my frames aren't as good as they could be. I just want to make sure I can change the preset and keep your settings?

Also I copy and pasted everything for both files, I haven't even been turning on the colorfix apparently with the mod, didn't know you had to activate it. These settings help so much I had previously set them back to default and the difference is night and day, it's so washed out in the rift that spotting planes is nearly impossible since everything has the same colors.

Also check this out, the VR limiter yeah? I noticed that while sitting on the runway with no air rushing over the cockpit you can move out more right like it has been stated? Check say the yak69 you can get in super close to the gunsight when you are still, but when you start going at speed you can't anymore, I think there is a bug where the wind pressure effect is effecting how close you can get to the gunsight and not just how far you can stick your head out of the sides of the open cockpit. I was all happy they fixed how close you can lean in but once I started flying it was back to the same. I think we should report this as an actual bug as I am sure that is not intended to work like that.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Hi Jon,

yes you can adjust a lower preset for example to 2, and Land_tex_lod/landscape detail range to 1 as well. I also recommend then putting grass to 0.00, and lowering shadows to 2 in the startup.cfg. This should give you a nice performance boost.

By the way, you might want to use the first post in the thread as a base to work from. The one you quoted is outdated, I'll mark it as such, thanks 😀👍

Very good finding on the VR limiter. I didn't know about that bug yet. I'll check it out as well. Yes, we might want to create some bug reports about it, on the Russian forums as well.

Best regards!

Fenris

Hey fenris, 

i took a long brake from il2 in vr since last year december. Back then i could play the game @1.3 pd with an amd 290 card with asw perfectly fine.

Today i have tried your settings and i got not the performance i had hoped for. I had Steam resolution at 100% on the rift what is about 1.42 pd i suppose and exactly your graphics settings. I was flying on the WOL server on the kuban map and my frames where between 35-45 near the ground with forced asw. I have a 1080ti i7 4790k @4.9Ghz and 2400Mhz Ram and game on Ssd. Is the performance normal and what settings would you tweak for better performance? 

Btw the game looks stunning with your settings and Lefuneste‘s mod, thanks for your work. ;) 

Best regards :) 

macemi 

17 hours ago, macemi said:

Hey fenris, 

i took a long brake from il2 in vr since last year december. Back then i could play the game @1.3 pd with an amd 290 card with asw perfectly fine.

Today i have tried your settings and i got not the performance i had hoped for. I had Steam resolution at 100% on the rift what is about 1.42 pd i suppose and exactly your graphics settings. I was flying on the WOL server on the kuban map and my frames where between 35-45 near the ground with forced asw. I have a 1080ti i7 4790k @4.9Ghz and 2400Mhz Ram and game on Ssd. Is the performance normal and what settings would you tweak for better performance? 

Btw the game looks stunning with your settings and Lefuneste‘s mod, thanks for your work. ;) 

macemi 

Somethings not right you should be seeing better performance than that. What preset are you using? Ultra?

19 hours ago, macemi said:

Hey fenris, 

macemi 

I just checked and I was actually getting similar performance to you, try this, lower the AA(anti aliasing) in game to 2, and set the preset to balance, it doubled my framerate on kuban summer map. That 4x anti aliasing hammers the framerate and I noticed barely any graphical difference. Trust me I hate jaggies.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

I just checked and I was actually getting similar performance to you, try this, lower the AA(anti aliasing) in game to 2, and set the preset to balance, it doubled my framerate on kuban summer map. That 4x anti aliasing hammers the framerate and I noticed barely any graphical difference. Trust me I hate jaggies.

I´ve just checked it. Yes, preset ultra was active. Now i try with balanced preset. 

Thanks. 

Just now, macemi said:

I´ve just checked it. Yes, preset ultra was active. Now i try with balanced preset. 

Thanks. 

Don't forget to set the AA to 2 instead of 4 that's where most of the frame rate is being lost.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

Don't forget to set the AA to 2 instead of 4 that's where most of the frame rate is being lost.

Did a long test session tonight and your suggestion worked much better for me (2x AA balanced preset). At altitude i have got stable 90fps. Only at the airfield and close to the ground asw kicked in. I suppose that is normal performance for my hardware, or do you guys aim for constant 90 fps? Another question what pixel density would you recommend for best balance visual/spotting? I don’t get the new Steam vr ss settings, under the application tab i have 100% for il2 and in visuals override 200%, oculus tray tool shows 1.42 pd. 

Thank you for your help. :) 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, macemi said:

Did a long test session tonight and your suggestion worked much better for me (2x AA balanced preset). At altitude i have got stable 90fps. Only at the airfield and close to the ground asw kicked in. I suppose that is normal performance for my hardware, or do you guys aim for constant 90 fps? Another question what pixel density would you recommend for best balance visual/spotting? I don’t get the new Steam vr ss settings, under the application tab i have 100% for il2 and in visuals override 200%, oculus tray tool shows 1.42 pd. 

Thank you for your help. :) 

No problem, I would definitely lower it, I use 130% myself. But I also have a 1070. I do have a 8700k though which helps. You get extremely diminishing returns over 130-150% I'd try 130 in steam and see if you even notice much of a difference. You'll get a large boost to your frames from there as well. I don't even run the oculus software just steam VR with my rift, you can do that by setting the oculus software to run as administrator. It won't start up now when you start up steam vr. But yeah 200% is way too much. If you drop it down to like I said 130-150 you will probably get 90fps stable. I also turn ASW off with ctrl+1 on the numpad in game. It lets it run at a higher framerate than 45fps when you drop below 90, I get like 75-80fps. It's way better than ASW IMO.

• Thanks 1

• SCG_Fenris_Wolf changed the title to Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, Vive Pro 2, Reverb G2, etc.