VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 9th/Dec/2020

peregrine7

OP updated again.

Added HDR On. Turning on HDR gives the scene more contrast, aiding in spotting. Unfortunately it also turns on bloom which looks awful in VR and makes spotting harder (blurry image). Bloom can be disabled by opening startup.cfg and setting bloom to 0. The file then has to be made read only. Changing settings in game after this will turn the bloom back on (until the game is restarted). Changes to graphics/audio/game settings made whilst the file is read-only will be overwritten every time the game restarts. 

It's a bit fiddly, but worthwhile in my opinion.

EDIT: If anybody has the Vive, could I request a favour: Does steamvr use your panel resolution (~1080x1200 per eye) @ 100% resolution?

Edited by peregrine7

On 18.4.2018 at 12:42 AM, peregrine7 said:

OP updated again.

Added HDR On. Turning on HDR gives the scene more contrast, aiding in spotting. Unfortunately it also turns on bloom which looks awful in VR and makes spotting harder (blurry image). Bloom can be disabled by opening startup.cfg and setting bloom to 0. The file then has to be made read only. Changing settings in game after this will turn the bloom back on (until the game is restarted). Changes to graphics/audio/game settings made whilst the file is read-only will be overwritten every time the game restarts. 

It's a bit fiddly, but worthwhile in my opinion.

EDIT: If anybody has the Vive, could I request a favour: Does steamvr use your panel resolution (~1080x1200 per eye) @ 100% resolution?

It is not what you ask for but maybe helpfull....

My Oculus Rift PD with steam VR is 1,01(values from overlay) @100 %

@66% the PD is 0,82

Must use  Oculus Tray Tool to switch ASW off..

Not possible for me to switch ASW to Off with keyboard.

Profile supersample  settings  for IL2 in OTT = 0

Oculu_steamVR.jpg

Oculu_steamVR_66.jpg

30 minutes ago, Nibbio said:

Make sure numlock is on, or it won't work

Thx be sure that i checked this ..nothing helped and im not alone with that problem ... 

Napping-Man

I haven't been able to use the key commands to switch off ASW, either.  OTT also doesn't turn off ASW.  I've been using the Oculus Debug Tool every time I start Il-2.  It's a pain, but it works.

13 hours ago, SYN_GD said:

It is not what you ask for but maybe helpfull....

My Oculus Rift PD with steam VR is 1,01(values from overlay) @100 %

@66% the PD is 0,82

Must use  Oculus Tray Tool to switch ASW off..

Not possible for me to switch ASW to Off with keyboard.

Profile supersample  settings  for IL2 in OTT = 0

Oculu_steamVR_66.jpg

Note that @ 66% your resolution is 1092x1300 per eye, the OR CV1 panel resolution is 1080x1200. So at 66% you're actually already at ~1.08 PD.

The PD values are definitely incorrect for the Rift. I'm not sure if this is the case for the Vive.

How steam now a second time decided to change the pd settings is beyond me. But to then incorporate an automatic pd adjuster that is on by default, hidden in a forest of settings and is supposed to work with every vr game out there makes me wonder what village idiot approved of that strategy.

Had to get that off me. Sorry. Apologies to any village idiots around here for using the title in a degrading manner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, peregrine7 said:

Note that @ 66% your resolution is 1092x1300 per eye, the OR CV1 panel resolution is 1080x1200. So at 66% you're actually already at ~1.08 PD.

The PD values are definitely incorrect for the Rift. I'm not sure if this is the case for the Vive.

Exactly! But why is the pd in the overlay at 0,8 ??

=EXPEND=Tripwire
On 4/18/2018 at 6:42 AM, peregrine7 said:

Is this what you seek?

image.png.eea66920b8ea89b3648ec73b7c8b6bcf.png

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, a_radek said:

How steam now a second time decided to change the pd settings is beyond me. But to then incorporate an automatic pd adjuster that is on by default, hidden in a forest of settings and is supposed to work with every vr game out there makes me wonder what village idiot approved of that strategy.

Had to get that off me. Sorry. Apologies to any village idiots around here for using the title in a degrading manner.

Agree.

Its annoying how both oculus and apparently now vive too tries to preset everything as if only monkeys were using their headsets. Oculus is still worse as basically you cannot set anything in their software.

My apology goes to the monkeys.

10 hours ago, SYN_GD said:

Exactly! But why is the pd in the overlay at 0,8 ??

Not sure, there's some sort of issue going down the line from Oculus' API -> SteamVR. OTT may get in the way as well.

Not only that but both the Vive and the Rift have incorrect panel ratios (both different as well). This leads to pixel stretching/blurring at most resolution settings.

Really not happy with these last few SteamVR patches. 

Yes, you need to set it in the default settings in the upper section of the d3dx.ini file instead of under the different [key] sections further below.

Sorry for not being more specific but I'm not at home atm to check. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/4/2018 at 3:03 PM, dburne said:

Yes you can, only caveat would be if one uses the Oculus Tray Tool it is a little bugged currently in applying one's settings to a game profile if Oculus Home is not running. At least it is for me.  The newer version does have an option you can tick to not require Oculus Home. I have found though that my ASW setting (off) does not stay applied all the time, it seems to fluctuate on and off throughout the flight. If Oculus Home is running it does not do that.

I have sent the info along with log file to ApollyonVR to see what he maybe can do.

Did you happen to receive any information in the meantime?

It would be nice to use OTT without Oculus home.

Thanks

1 hour ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

Did you happen to receive any information in the meantime?

It would be nice to use OTT without Oculus home.

Thanks

I think he said it was more an Oculus thing than a Tray Tool thing and he could not do anything about it.

SCG_motoadve

Guys post it in the technical issues forum, we need the developers to see this.

Now the VR experience is not as fun anymore with all the sttuters /pauses and reduced performance.

Citizensnips2008

Hi there, 

Would anyone be willing to recommend some settings for me? I'm really enjoying using my rift but I don't feel that my settings are at their most optimal. I've been using balanced, 800x600 resolution, anti-aliasing 2x, medium clouds, with occulus tray tool supersampling at 1.3. Games been playable, but frame rates never go above 45. I'm a bit confused with the whole steam vr occulus tray tool settings and things, only used to non-vr games really!

i5-6500 3.2ghz 

Asus GTX1060 6GB

8GB DDR4

Games on an SSD

Thanks everyone, VR with this game is fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a bunch for this guide, has really helped me with spotting and performance.  One thing I don't understand - if 66% super sampling for the Vive is 1:1 resolution, shouldn't it be 1080x1200?  Mine is showing 1228x1365.  I can't actually get it to show 1080x1200 - every percentage tick is an odd resolution.  100% shows 1512x1680.

Also - I don't know much about the spotting assist feature.  With my res at 66%, the planes started to look comically large, and I had a tough time gauging distances.  At 100% res it's a bit better.  Does anyone know at what resolution the feature turns off where planes are real scale at all distances?  I'd like to find a sweet spot where the feature is helpful but I'm at a high enough res to read text etc.  (And yeah, I've tried 4x aliasing)

chiliwili69
9 hours ago, molotovb said:

One thing I don't understand - if 66% super sampling for the Vive is 1:1 resolution, shouldn't it be 1080x1200?  Mine is showing 1228x1365.  I can't actually get it to show 1080x1200 - every percentage tick is an odd resolution.  100% shows 1512x1680

With the Vive you should put 51% to obtain the 1080x1200 resolution.

See this post:

18 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

With the Vive you should put 51% to obtain the 1080x1200 resolution.

See this post:

Thanks!  What's funny is that the slider only goes in 2% increments - so it's either 50 or 52. :)  Silly.  Anyway, I was just confused as to why people were saying 66% resulted in the native resolution.

peregrine7
12 hours ago, molotovb said:

Thanks!  What's funny is that the slider only goes in 2% increments - so it's either 50 or 52. :)  Silly.  Anyway, I was just confused as to why people were saying 66% resulted in the native resolution.

Ah cheers, I was hoping it'd be the same for both headsets. I'll update that in the guide. :)

Apologies for misleading ya

17 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

Ah cheers, I was hoping it'd be the same for both headsets. I'll update that in the guide. :)

Apologies for misleading ya

No worries!  Thanks for the clarification

TheWarsimmer

Aside from the tray tool, if you don't have it, just hit CTRL+numberpad1 at the start of the game and it disables it. Be sure to hit the numberpad and not the rows of numbers across the top of the keys. 

polnoch_ksu

I have a question: why developers doesn't add support of 6, 8 or 16 threads? The game is CPU-intensive, so, 16 threads can fix (I bealive) the bottleneck in VR case

• Upvote 1

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

They'd have to rewrite large parts of the engine. They aren't going to do that afaik.

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Parts of it, like the zoom and propeller disk artifact fix, can be used in multiplayer as well.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Parts of it, like the zoom and propeller disk artifact fix, can be used in multiplayer as well.

You sir have just made my VR experience twice as good!! i commend you!! 

EDIT:iv'e only tried in BOK map in MP but... I CAN SEE EVERYTHING!!!!

Edited by 19//SAG
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the new settings for the Odyssey!

I tried them out and I was seeing the targets clear as day 5KM out and I could see the dot at around 7KM plus it looked great!  Thanks so much!

• Thanks 1

peregrine7
On 5/30/2018 at 3:07 AM, polnoch_ksu said:

I have a question: why developers doesn't add support of 6, 8 or 16 threads? The game is CPU-intensive, so, 16 threads can fix (I bealive) the bottleneck in VR case

You can only multi-thread so much. If things are linearly dependent (A->B->C) then you can't work on B at the same time as A. 

With games like simracing, flightsims etc most things are physically dependent and therefore separating things out is not doable / efficient. Even if, theoretically, the dev team could afford to do it there isn't much where it would really  benefit. Where it would benefit (e.g. dynamically split physics calc for aircraft by thread) the work is seriously challenging and well into the realm of "Maybe if this game was made by a huge dev studio filled with savants".

Isn't the main issue of VR performance limited by single thread speed because of DX11 rather than lack of  programming for multi thread processors, or am I not fully up to speed 😎

Cheers, Dakpilot 

15 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

You can only multi-thread so much. If things are linearly dependent (A->B->C) then you can't work on B at the same time as A. 

With games like simracing, flightsims etc most things are physically dependent and therefore separating things out is not doable / efficient. Even if, theoretically, the dev team could afford to do it there isn't much where it would really  benefit. Where it would benefit (e.g. dynamically split physics calc for aircraft by thread) the work is seriously challenging and well into the realm of "Maybe if this game was made by a huge dev studio filled with savants".

😲

II./JG1_Lipfert

Kameraden,

Remember to try the updated settings, this post is a WIP and the new settings with my Rift are incredible.

S!

• Thanks 1

JonRedcorn

Is anyone actually noticing an improvement in visual quality when using higher resolution via the steam slider? I set it to 200% and seems to me that the limitations of the actual in headset panel are limiting spotting of enemy airplanes, I might try setting it to some ridiculous number to see if it helps. I noticed little performance impact either, I do run a 8700k at 4.9ghz and a 1070 though. I do know this game is quite cpu heavy and as of right now there isn't a better cpu I can buy.

Yeah supersampling cannot ovecome the resolution limitations of the headsets, only give some extra clarity. Personally I stopped using any kind of SS in steam or oculus tray tool. I don't see too much benefit and spotting is easier with less SS. 

But this is totally a personal preference of what you like best.

On 6/10/2018 at 12:54 AM, grimm862 said:

Is anyone actually noticing an improvement in visual quality when using higher resolution via the steam slider? I set it to 200% and seems to me that the limitations of the actual in headset panel are limiting spotting of enemy airplanes, I might try setting it to some ridiculous number to see if it helps. I noticed little performance impact either, I do run a 8700k at 4.9ghz and a 1070 though. I do know this game is quite cpu heavy and as of right now there isn't a better cpu I can buy.

Yes, if you set it to 66% you'll see tons of aliasing, if you set it to 200% it'll look blurry but "clean", not aliased. At 66% planes will flicker and be big ontrasted blobs, at 200% they'll be small smudges that blend in.

Edited by peregrine7

• SCG_Fenris_Wolf changed the title to Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, Vive Pro 2, Reverb G2, etc.