VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 9th/Dec/2020

peregrine7

AwesomeSprawvy

I tried these settings last night and the game looks and runs great. Now that my SS is back to 1.0, I moved up from low to balanced settings with no loss in FPS so far. I'll have to try the high setting later on. Thanks for sharing this!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018. 02. 20. at 8:55 PM, ZG15_kaltokri said:

Hi,

in my  steamvr.vrsettings I found this line:

"supersampleScale" : 2

Is it the new renderTargetMultiplier?

If I set graphics to Ultra my PC reboots after some time in the mission. On low it didn't reboot. I think this is really strange, right?

Regards,

Kal

supersampleScale is the amount of SS you set in the SteamVR app. That value is stored in the  steamvr.vrsettings file.

• 2 weeks later...
SCG_Fenris_Wolf
On 20.2.2018 at 8:55 PM, ZG15_kaltokri said:

Hi,

in my  steamvr.vrsettings I found this line:

"supersampleScale" : 2

Is it the new renderTargetMultiplier?

If I set graphics to Ultra my PC reboots after some time in the mission. On low it didn't reboot. I think this is really strange, right?

Regards,

Kal

Sounds like your computer is overheating. You ought to log your temperatures, because this can really damage your hardware. If that's the case you need to buy better cooling / replace heat paste. If you don't fix this soon, your computer may break. 

ZG15_kaltokri

Hi SCG_Fenris_Wolf,

thank you for your answer. I found the problem. My grafic card has two power connectors and I attached one power cable with to connectors to them. But the card needs more power so I must use two differend power cords.  Now I didn't have reboots anymore.

Regards,

Kal

On 6.3.2018 at 12:32 PM, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

supersampleScale is the amount of SS you set in the SteamVR app. That value is stored in the  steamvr.vrsettings file.

What is the difference between supersampleScale  and renderTargetMultiplier ?

chiliwili69
46 minutes ago, ZG15_kaltokri said:

thank you for your answer. I found the problem. My grafic card has two power connectors and I attached one power cable with to connectors to them. But the card needs more power so I must use two differend power cords.  Now I didn't have reboots anymore.

Many thanks Kal for giving me this clue.

About 2 months ago I upgraded to a 1080Ti card ( from a 1070). I saw that the 1080Ti card had two power connectors (the old 1070 needed just one).

The same cable used for the 1070 has two power sockets, so I used the same cable with two power sockets for the 1080Ti.

Then, from time to time my son playing Battlefront has occasionally reboots. I also had 2 or 3 reboots when flying in Kuban.

I will try so see if there is spare separated power cable from the power supply box (750W). If not maybe I will buy a new power supply box.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2018 at 5:43 PM, chiliwili69 said:

About 2 months ago I upgraded to a 1080Ti card ( from a 1070). I saw that the 1080Ti card had two power connectors (the old 1070 needed just one).

The same cable used for the 1070 has two power sockets, so I used the same cable with two power sockets for the 1080Ti.

Then, from time to time my son playing Battlefront has occasionally reboots. I also had 2 or 3 reboots when flying in Kuban.

I will try so see if there is spare separated power cable from the power supply box (750W). If not maybe I will buy a new power supply box.

Do you not just use the one DPI cable like me with the 1080? I mean this is something specific to your situation right, we shouldnt all be using 2 cables?

II./JG77_Manu*

Just commenting here, because i don't want this thread to get lost and want to try those settings next time i am able to fly :-)

• Upvote 1

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Since 3.001, I also use these settings on "High".

Summary:

Presets High

Mirror Medium

Shadows High

Landscape Filter Blurry

Landscape Range 4x

Clouds High

AA 4x

Dyn Res 1.0

Gamma 0.8

HDR 0

SSAO 0

Sharpen 1

4k textures 1

SteamVR SS/PD off

Lefuneste's mod installed

5x zoom on one button

10x lefuneste's zoom on secondary button (use JoyToKey to map both to your secondary Joystick Button)

ColorFix at 1.16 (you must edit the w6 variable, then activate it ingame via alt+u).

Violá :fly:

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Main topic updated! 

Hope to see some other VR pilots in MP sometime, it's a challenge but I've been having a blast!

Challenge indeed, because cant really watch back at all, like cheaters with theyr tirs and stuffs ;)

I have had some problems after 3.x, seems i cant turn aws off at all, worked in 2.x fine.

Even trying ctrl+num1 or oculus tool, my fps is forced around 45 all the time, in 2.x my avg fps jumped between 80-90 instant after ctrl-num1..

Maybe have to try reinstall..

and btw, you are missing "grass quality" on your updated settings.

Edited by Macross
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Macross said:

Challenge indeed, because cant really watch back at all, like cheaters with theyr tirs and stuffs ;)

I have had some problems after 3.x, seems i cant turn aws off at all, worked in 2.x fine.

Even trying ctrl+num1 or oculus tool, my fps is forced around 45 all the time, in 2.x my avg fps jumped between 80-90 instant after ctrl-num1..

Insure you have the latest version of the Oculus Tray Tool - 0.83.1.

Make sure it is set to " Run as Administrator".

Use a profile for IL-2, with ASW set to off - point the profile to IL-2.exe.

Make sure you start the OTT prior to Oculus Home launching.

You can put a check in the " Audio Confirmation" box, and get audio confirmation your profile is being loaded when IL-2 starts.

This is working for me every time with IL-2.

Note: I launch the game with IL-2.exe, rather than the launcher.

Edited by dburne

1 hour ago, Macross said:

and btw, you are missing "grass quality" on your updated settings.

That's alright, there's no point in playing with ASW off , I just use it to check FPS overhead (if it's 85fps, then I can probably turn some setting up - especially things like clouds, if it's 49fps that's not happening).

ASW should be on during gameplay  -  The main downside is having the prop disc blur your target and 3DMigoto solves that! 

Grass is grass, I don't fly low enough for it to matter and have never turned it up above the minimum setting. So I don't have any advice on it regarding performance impact. 

Since 3.x my FPS in VR is shit, so these graphics options are (mostly) quite high performance. The only real exception would be the clouds.

EDIT: Also, mirrors are a godsend. Pilots used to jerry-rig mirrors in planes that didn't have them for a reason. Yak1B, La5, P39, P40 all have mirrors so play Russian!  Any server that has those planes but does not allow the mirror modification earns a strong and very disapproving "tut tut" from me.

Edited by peregrine7
Mirrors yo.

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Good update, you went with blurry landscape ;)

A High Preset is probably the minimum for minimum - at the moment - since anything else will induce terrible cloud flicker. Putting the clouds themselves on "High" doesn't solve it.

• Upvote 1

I do not like flying with ASW on at all, I get a much smoother and  better experience overall with it off.

Of course everyone's mileage may vary. I would encourage anyone to try it both ways to find the best setting for yourself.

6 hours ago, dburne said:

I do not like flying with ASW on at all, I get a much smoother and  better experience overall with it off.

Of course everyone's mileage may vary. I would encourage anyone to try it both ways to find the best setting for yourself.

Interesting! Unless there's a 2D element going wrong (like sun flare maybe?) there shouldn't be flicker. Have you tried ctrl+Num 3   (ASW always on)?  

7 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Good update, you went with blurry landscape ;)

A High Preset is probably the minimum for minimum - at the moment - since anything else will induce terrible cloud flicker. Putting the clouds themselves on "High" doesn't solve it.

I don't experience this myself. Do you have the latest version of 3Dmigoto? Previous versions suffered from this issue. 

If you have the FPS to get away with it then of course, go for it. Unfortunately as of 3.x I don't.

Edited by peregrine7
  • Upvote 1

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

;) I am not asking you for advice, I was informing you about something. Well, it's good that you haven't seen the issue. You can see it here on the bottom of the clouds https://youtu.be/h7aA9qEgt1I?t=2m38s

Edit:

You asked me as if I was a rookie in VR things. I've helped many dozens of people to adjust their settings properly, OC their systems, get 3dmigoto working, via Forums, PM, Discord, Teamviewer, etc.

The cloud flicker in presets below high since 3.001 is common, not tied to 3dmigoto, and there are mods already addressing the issue - which aren't available on the MP servers (mods are off there). It appears with or without VR as well, you can even see it in one of Scharfi's late videos (you replied in one of her threads, so I suppose you know about her channel). Anyway - they will probably fix that in the next update. At least, let us hope so. :good:

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, dburne said:

Insure you have the latest version of the Oculus Tray Tool - 0.83.1.

Make sure it is set to " Run as Administrator".

Use a profile for IL-2, with ASW set to off - point the profile to IL-2.exe.

Make sure you start the OTT prior to Oculus Home launching.

You can put a check in the " Audio Confirmation" box, and get audio confirmation your profile is being loaded when IL-2 starts.

This is working for me every time with IL-2.

Note: I launch the game with IL-2.exe, rather than the launcher.

Reinstall did the job, propably some bug when updated to v3.. works now with oculus tool and ctrl+num1..

v3 really dropped a bomb on performance, 80-90fps before, now 50-70 with same settings..

fps/spotting settings with steam SS2.0 and 70km horizon gives nice steady 80-90fps now.

4790k+1080ti.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Macross said:

Reinstall did the job, propably some bug when updated to v3.. works now with oculus tool and ctrl+num1..

v3 really dropped a bomb on performance, 80-90fps before, now 50-70 with same settings..

fps/spotting settings with steam SS2.0 and 70km horizon gives nice steady 80-90fps now.

4790k+1080ti.

:good:

Good deal!

We have very similar rigs and I have settled on 70km distance as well.

• SYN_Haashashin pinned this topic

And one more discovery, seems I'm late to the party on this one! 

If you're using the Rift, try starting the game/SteamVR without starting Oculus Home. Seems that since the core 2.0 update there's quite an overhead when running Home and SteamVR.

To get the game to run with Oculus Home automatically starting you can set Home's compatibility options to run as an administrator.

Edited by peregrine7
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

And one more discovery, seems I'm late to the party on this one! 

If you're using the Rift, try starting the game/SteamVR without starting Oculus Home. Seems that since the core 2.0 update there's quite an overhead when running Home and SteamVR.

To get the game to run with Oculus Home automatically starting you can set Home's compatibility options to run as an administrator.

Yes you can, only caveat would be if one uses the Oculus Tray Tool it is a little bugged currently in applying one's settings to a game profile if Oculus Home is not running. At least it is for me.  The newer version does have an option you can tick to not require Oculus Home. I have found though that my ASW setting (off) does not stay applied all the time, it seems to fluctuate on and off throughout the flight. If Oculus Home is running it does not do that.

I have sent the info along with log file to ApollyonVR to see what he maybe can do.

8 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yes you can, only caveat would be if one uses the Oculus Tray Tool it is a little bugged currently in applying one's settings to a game profile if Oculus Home is not running. At least it is for me.  The newer version does have an option you can tick to not require Oculus Home. I have found though that my ASW setting (off) does not stay applied all the time, it seems to fluctuate on and off throughout the flight. If Oculus Home is running it does not do that.

I have sent the info along with log file to ApollyonVR to see what he maybe can do.

Same here. I haven't found a way to disable ASW when Oculus Home is not running. Even the Oculus debug tool does not seem to work. 

chiliwili69
On 13/4/2017 at 8:09 AM, peregrine7 said:

In General we are mainly limited by CPU power, in particular single thread performance, bear this in mind if you're buying PC components

Passmark has a benchmark of CPU single thread performance, be sure that your CPU scores well here

It is good you put this there. New users need to know that CPU is the bottleneck in most of the cases.

The single thread performance table of Passmark doesn´t include the OC systems, only the test with base clock and turbo clock.

Doing OC is the clear method to achieve a good Single Thread performance so you should recommend CPU´s ending in K and provide a good CPU cooler to maximize OC.

• Upvote 2

QB.Gordon200

chiliwili,

I'm using Process Lasso to control the number of threads my CPU has available for specific tasks.

Neat @Gordon200  I'll check that out!   

By the way, the cloud "fixes" don't work all the time, nor on all settings. Took a whole bunch of testing but null result.

Interestingly enough the issue that the blur makes the plane invisible, as opposed to no effect / makes plane more visible only occurs on

a) ~50% of clouds at range 20km +

b) When camera is within 800m of the cloud altitude

c) When the plane is within 500m of any cloud.

That's oddly specific and repeatable...

Anyway, if it really bugs you setting general graphics to high or above and clouds set to high will make it vastly less obvious.

Edited by peregrine7
  • Like 1

chiliwili69
On 18/3/2018 at 10:43 AM, chiliwili69 said:

Since my old power supply didn´t have an extra 8-pin connector for the GPU I bought a new power supply 850W about two weeks ago. But, despite os having multiple separated cables for GPU, I used just only one with two 8-pin connector for the 1080Ti. I have not reboots anymore.

But the true reason (for avoiding reboots) is the extra amperage (until 70A for the 12V cable) provided by the new power supply. My previous power supply was only providing 45A for 12V.

Updated OP. 

SteamVR has new resolution options, sameish as before but in a different place.

66% = 1.0x PPDP / SS.  Because fuck logic right? 

If you're struggling with spotting it's probably because steamVR now auto sets your supersampling, setting it at a point that looks good / performs well. Unfortunately the devs have made it so higher supersampling settings negate the spotting assist everybody else gets in the game. 

18 hours ago, GunneryAce said:

Are these new settings the same for the Vive Pro?

They should be, but with the weirdness going on with steamvr's supersampling that *may* be different.

The main usefulness in my OP are the comments, some of the impacts of various settings are unintuitive and I've done my best to explain them.

Edited by peregrine7

2 minutes ago, dburne said:

I believe this is currently only with Steam VR Beta correct?

Seems to be main branch as of yesterday(?)

Interesting I will have to check.

I sure don't want any SS settings done in Steam VR as I set mine in Oculus Tray Tool.

I flew for a while yesterday morning and did not notice anything , but who knows.

Just checked, mine still does not have that it is as it has been with SS set at 0.00.

Which is fine by me.

Edited by dburne

Napping-Man
10 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

Updated OP. 

SteamVR has new resolution options, sameish as before but in a different place.

66% = 1.0x PPDP / SS.  Because fuck logic right? 

Ok, now I'm REALLY confused.  If I've got a Rift, and a non-Steam version of Il-2...I need to set the manual override to 66% to get my NORMAL resolution without SS?

I need a drink.

It's times like this I so wish 1CGS offered native support for Oculus Rift.

If they did, Steam would no longer reside on my PC.

As far as I can tell my Steam VR has still not updated to this latest confusing version. Hope it does not.

7 hours ago, Napping-Man said:

Ok, now I'm REALLY confused.  If I've got a Rift, and a non-Steam version of Il-2...I need to set the manual override to 66% to get my NORMAL resolution without SS?

I need a drink.

Yup, the reasoning behind this is kinda simple but the result is idiotic.

Oculus found that setting a SS of ~1.4x greatly improved the visuals with minimal performance impact. So did steam (with SteamVR). So the values for the Rift from the Rift API include Oculus' 1.4x SS. SteamVR considers this 1.0x SS, and then automatically applies its own supersampling. 

Il2's spotting assistance (done by model enlargement) uses the render resolution not the actual panel resolution so all this supersampling makes spotting targets harder. Due to that Il2 is the one game where I recommend running the panel resolution (1080x1200 per eye) and using anti-aliasing if the aliasing bothers you.

On 12/04/2018 at 12:54 PM, peregrine7 said:

Yup, the reasoning behind this is kinda simple but the result is idiotic.

Oculus found that setting a SS of ~1.4x greatly improved the visuals with minimal performance impact. So did steam (with SteamVR). So the values for the Rift from the Rift API include Oculus' 1.4x SS. SteamVR considers this 1.0x SS, and then automatically applies its own supersampling. 

Il2's spotting assistance (done by model enlargement) uses the render resolution not the actual panel resolution so all this supersampling makes spotting targets harder. Due to that Il2 is the one game where I recommend running the panel resolution (1080x1200 per eye) and using anti-aliasing if the aliasing bothers you.

So what is 1.4 SS translated to steam VR PD? I find that at around 1.7 steam VR ss performance seems about the same as 1.4, but go up to around the recommended steam VR pd and performance seems poor.  

That said I really do find that after a certain point ss doesnt really do anything and might actually make things look worse.

21 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

So what is 1.4 SS translated to steam VR PD? I find that at around 1.7 steam VR ss performance seems about the same as 1.4, but go up to around the recommended steam VR pd and performance seems poor.  

That said I really do find that after a certain point ss doesnt really do anything and might actually make things look worse.

Yep there is a point of diminishing returns.

I only set SS in the Oculus Tray Tool, do not use Steam VR's settings. 

I find up to around 1.7-1.8 to be that point for me. ( but I only run 1.4 due to performance reasons).

10 hours ago, dburne said:

Yep there is a point of diminishing returns.

I only set SS in the Oculus Tray Tool, do not use Steam VR's settings. 

I find up to around 1.7-1.8 to be that point for me. ( but I only run 1.4 due to performance reasons).

10 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

1.7x PD (or ~2.7x the pixels) is the point where things start to get visually worse (due to speckling).

If you set SteamVR to 100% resolution you'll get 1.4x PD automatically (can verify by checking the panel res / MP values). Oculus Tray Tool will override that and may not play nice (i.e. setting OTT to 1.8 may make SteamVR's 100% = 1.8x  PD  ,    I haven't experimented with OTT for a while so that may not be right).

In other news, HDR makes spotting far easier, turns out the bloom that comes alongside it can be disabled in startup.cfg.

6 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

1.7x PD (or ~2.7x the pixels) is the point where things start to get visually worse (due to speckling).

If you set SteamVR to 100% resolution you'll get 1.4x PD automatically (can verify by checking the panel res / MP values). Oculus Tray Tool will override that and may not play nice (i.e. setting OTT to 1.8 may make SteamVR's 100% = 1.8x  PD  ,    I haven't experimented with OTT for a while so that may not be right).

In other news, HDR makes spotting far easier, turns out the bloom that comes alongside it can be disabled in startup.cfg.

Well that's for the rift I was asking myself for the Vive old chum!

On 15/04/2018 at 10:08 PM, Wolf8312 said:

Well that's for the rift I was asking myself for the Vive old chum!

My bad! Don't know why I immediately was thinking Rift! 

The terminology keeps changing, I liked Steamvr's old way of doing it (especially just showing the megapixels).

1.4x PD (via Oculus / OTT) = 1.96 via steamVR.         If you counted how many pixels were in a line before vs after there'd be 1.4x as many (PPDP). But if you counted the total pixels there'd be almost twice as many afterwards (SS).

I still recommend keeping it lower than recommended and using AA instead, otherwise planes quickly become near impossible to stop.

Edited by peregrine7

• SCG_Fenris_Wolf changed the title to Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, Vive Pro 2, Reverb G2, etc.