VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 9th/Dec/2020

peregrine7

I know about FPS hungry clouds, only the main problem if flying prefab missions, scripted campaigns, PWCG or career mode, you have to deal with the clouds that can not be shutdown. So to press every performance out, besides the adjustments I already did publish, I have shadows off, FX 4x I hate jaggies (MSAA is to intense), deselect all the hardly to notice adjustments (every bit can help), no mirrors. Because I do hate the ancient clouds BoX is generating, I have modify the Gpreset file by copying the two cloud settings from ultra to low preset.  So when flying at low preset I fully enjoy the ultra clouds, and of course the ingame cloud settings is also on the highest setting. 

Guess I need a new GPU and an G2. 

BTW be aware if using a quick mission lone flight, as an benchmark there can be a frame drop of nearly 10 fps as I have been noticed, because the quick missing does generate a random direction.  

@BH_Adabadoo_VR What CPU do you have, is that still the Intel i7 as being published above, its a six core I guess. 

Edited by Dutch2

BH_Adabadoo_VR
On 2/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

(My personal go-to, they allow absolutely the best spotting imho, IL-2 scales correctly here.)

Hide contents

There is a way to enjoy IL-2 in all its glory with Motion Smoothing - while minimizing any artifacts. Yes, the amount of artifacts are drastically reduced with the right settings - why is that?

- Motion Smoothing needs depth information. It doesn't get this from IL-2, so Motion Smoothing works based only on sharpness of the render.

- Motion Smoothing builds accuracy quickly. But not instantly, hence we must avoid it turning on and off all the time.

- In order to maximise Motion Smoothing's accuracy and minimise any artifacts, the picture needs to be as sharp as possible. So let's do that:

1) Set SteamVR SS to 100%, both in the Video Tab and the IL-2's Game Tab.

2) Disable Advanced Super Sample Filtering.

3) Force enable Motion Smoothing! Apply "set Motion Smoothing per application" in SteamVR -> you must get in VR, open SteamVR Dashboard with your Controller, find WMR icon on the bottom-left hand side, and click through the three tabs there). Then in SteamVR's Video tab, go to individual game settings and select "Always On" for Motion Smoothing.

4) Keep HUD disabled as much as possible. Remember the thing about lack of Depth Information? Right! The HUD and FPS counter are at the same distance as that forest from 3km away is! Disable it, a true VR simulator pilot flies by instruments! 

Why aren't you using Mixed reality as the steamVR OpenVR Renderer?  Why aren't you using Mixed Reality for SteamVR's projection controls?  Just curious if you tried them and decided that SteamVR's Render and Motion was better.  My understanding was that Valve and Microsoft worked with HP to make the Mixed Reality renderer and motion projection much better for the G2 together and also work best with it's lenses. I think you'd lose that by switching to Steams render and motion blending??

Thanks!

BH_Adabadoo_VR
18 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

BTW be aware if using a quick mission lone flight, as an benchmark there can be a frame drop of nearly 10 fps as I have been noticed, because the quick missing does generate a random direction.  

@BH_Adabadoo_VR What CPU do you have, is that still the Intel i7 as being published above, its a six core I guess. 

I stopped using quick mission because I noticed it had a huge fps advantage.  I use a mission based on a combat box mission that I set to be at high alt with lots of clouds a minute from an airbase attack.  I do the same quick strike of the airbase each test and even if im fine i crash land at the same point.  Takes about 3 minutes per test and then I check the Hwinfo log for fps clipping the beginning and end.  After several tests of it and combat box logs the fps are identical for me so it works as a good test for me.

My current hardware:

i7 6850k six core @4400 all cores

64GB 3200 cl14

1080ti slightly overclocked.

SSD

It's six years old now and still performs okay for me and my G2.  I'm happy but I fear six years old could fail at any time and I knew several people buying new computers.  Even buying built was taking 2 months for GPU!!  So I feared a failure and did not want to lose 2 months.  I realize I'm probably buying at the peak but just the GPU on ebay costs half or more the price of the entire new computer if you will wait 2 months.  In my case for the 3090 only 1 month. They had them in stock and was no extra wait for it.  1 month build is their normal right now.

New computer coming in a few weeks:

Intel® Core™ Processor i9-11900KF Overclocked

Phanteks Glacier One 360MP

3090 but no idea which one I'll get only a 3090 is coming in it you don't get to pick...

32GB 3600 CL14

The price of the 3090 is not obscene purchase this way...

3080 is still bang for the buck and they just started listing the 3080ti and they were kind of a rip compared to the 3090.

At the 3080ti price I'd go for the 3090.

But the 3080 is a great deal in a new computer all things considered.  No computer item right now is really a good deal it's perspective and need.

I didn't want to risk failure anymore and prices didn't seem to be near coming down yet.  This was pre-bit coin crashes and new release of hash limited 3080ti.

We might see a bunch of GPUs cheap second hand soon from Ethereum miners as things switch.

Last computer lasted me six years.  I'd be happy to get 2-3 out of this one then upgrade GPU only if I can get away with it.

BH_Adabadoo_VR
On 4/16/2021 at 1:11 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

While I have tried the Quest 2 (courtesy of @StG2_Raven_VR), I don't have settings for the Quest 2 unfortunately.

As a general rule, if you can keep resolution natively and 90Hz while using the link (to avoid compression) it's a good direction already. 

You can use the oculus debug tool to improve on link performance.  I use both G2 and Quest2.

The quest 2 can approach the G2 in quality but is less efficient to look similar.

I have 1080ti and get 46 FPS with G2 52% res and ULTRA settings with clouds and shadows high using FXAA2.

With Quest same settings shown below it looks 90% almost as good but drops to 41fps.

If I use Balanced and clouds high shadows high I get 60fps with G2 and haven't tested quest this way but I'd imaging it's a 10% drop so say 54fps??

I set the Oculus render multiplier to 1.3x and here are my settings in the oculus debug tool.  This tool can be found in the directories that oculus software installs in.

image.thumb.png.75e263ce419212abf126f5f6d9355d13.png

Currently i'm using a 1080ti so in the G2 my res is 52%.  With the quest2 the steamvr res is 56% ~2320 pixels. With more HP you can up this multiplier and the steamvr % and keep track of the res you use in steamVR and set the encode width to match here.  This looks very good with less chromatic aberration than the G2 but it's not nearly as sharp as the G2 no matter how high you go.  It can get to maybe 90% the G2 but no more.  The G2 when near 100% is very clear in center the lenses are really nice in center.  The Quest2 lenses are much cheaper but for the money it's a great deal and does great room space and so much more.  It's awesome playing Alyx with no wires.

It's awesome doing email in bed or watching netflix or youtube or hulu on your ceiling in bed while not bothering your significant other.  Unless it's funny, in which case you shake the bed trying not to laugh and get kicked.  But for $299 it's a great deal.  Hate Facebook make a burner facebook acount and don't use it for anything.

I'm not giving up my G2 for simming but it is a good all around headset for it's money it's a great step up from last get with LCD rgb and higher res.  Not in the class of G2 or VivePro2 but for $300 it's amazing and I'd say it's a must have with your sim headset.  Great for working out in VR too.

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

- 15.06.2021 Update

- Added Vive Pro 2's How-To disable Automatic Display Resolution and disable Variable Automatic Lighting

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

- 15.06.2021 Update

- Added Vive Pro 2's How-To disable Automatic Display Resolution and disable Variable Automatic Lighting

I seem to be running into an issue, won't let me edit the file due to permissions and I am not sure how to change that.

I am the administrator on this PC.

Edit: Never mind I got it, just copied the file outside of that folder , made the changes, and was able to paste it back in with admin priviledges.

Probably won't get to try it out till tomorrow morning.

Edited by dburne

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Made the mistake of playing HLA in all its glory but screwed off the Pro 2's headphones and used my Sennheiser PXC 550-II with ANC on. Jesus Christ, I haven't gotten jumped scared like that in a while. 

I forgot how much immersion a good HiFi headset grants. Happier with this than with the off-ear sound of my G2.. Neither the basestations nor the fans of my hardworking computer nor my controllers' buttons were audible anymore. Why didn't I do this with my previous headsets... the bass of a blubbering BMW801 is just crazy.. and nothing can disturb it now :music:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Made the mistake of playing HLA in all its glory but screwed off the Pro 2's headphones and used my Sennheiser PXC 550-II with ANC on. Jesus Christ, I haven't gotten jumped scared like that in a while. 

I forgot how much immersion a good HiFi headset grants. Happier with this than with the off-ear sound of my G2.. Neither the basestations nor the fans of my hardworking computer nor my controllers' buttons were audible anymore. Why didn't I do this with my previous headsets... the bass of a blubbering BMW801 is just crazy.. and nothing can disturb it now :music:

Lol. First thing I did was remove those speakers and used my earbuds plugged into my Creative sound jack.

Not quite the setup you have there for sure, but certainly better overall sound than I would get with those speakers. 

I have done this with every headset I have owned to date. 

And Half Life Alyx - OMG absolutely the best made for VR game period imho. The jump scares are awesome. I have done two playthroughs of it and will undoubtedly start a third here soon with the new Vive Pro 2.

SCG_redcloud111
10 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

15.06.2021 Update

Great, will do. Updated both. Have you noticed Variable Automatic Lighting having any effect? I haven’t noticed any variation in lighting at all.

Edited by SCG_redcloud111

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Yes I had noticed the Variable Automatic Lightning. I played HLA and it led to some black crush in the darkest areas. It lowers dark areas dynamically and went completely black OLED style but crushed the not so black areas, and had high contrast to the whites - which led to glare. SteamVR's menus are a good example, if you look at them from close and see the white piercing font.

It's a neat trick for Elite Dangerous, and I haven't reached a conclusion yet whether I keep it on or off. Without it, blacks are on G2's level, which is absolutely sufficient.

• Upvote 1

I received an update to the Vive Console Beta this morning - be aware this resets those values so have to go in and change after each update it seems.

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2021 at 9:37 AM, BH_Adabadoo_VR said:

You can use the oculus debug tool to improve on link performance.  I use both G2 and Quest2.

The quest 2 can approach the G2 in quality but is less efficient to look similar.

I have 1080ti and get 46 FPS with G2 52% res and ULTRA settings with clouds and shadows high using FXAA2.

With Quest same settings shown below it looks 90% almost as good but drops to 41fps.

If I use Balanced and clouds high shadows high I get 60fps with G2 and haven't tested quest this way but I'd imaging it's a 10% drop so say 54fps??

I set the Oculus render multiplier to 1.3x and here are my settings in the oculus debug tool.  This tool can be found in the directories that oculus software installs in.

image.thumb.png.75e263ce419212abf126f5f6d9355d13.png

Currently i'm using a 1080ti so in the G2 my res is 52%.  With the quest2 the steamvr res is 56% ~2320 pixels. With more HP you can up this multiplier and the steamvr % and keep track of the res you use in steamVR and set the encode width to match here.  This looks very good with less chromatic aberration than the G2 but it's not nearly as sharp as the G2 no matter how high you go.  It can get to maybe 90% the G2 but no more.  The G2 when near 100% is very clear in center the lenses are really nice in center.  The Quest2 lenses are much cheaper but for the money it's a great deal and does great room space and so much more.  It's awesome playing Alyx with no wires.

It's awesome doing email in bed or watching netflix or youtube or hulu on your ceiling in bed while not bothering your significant other.  Unless it's funny, in which case you shake the bed trying not to laugh and get kicked.  But for $299 it's a great deal.  Hate Facebook make a burner facebook acount and don't use it for anything.

I'm not giving up my G2 for simming but it is a good all around headset for it's money it's a great step up from last get with LCD rgb and higher res.  Not in the class of G2 or VivePro2 but for $300 it's amazing and I'd say it's a must have with your sim headset.  Great for working out in VR too.

I have few followup questions:

- what's the resolution that you set on your googles, f.e. by using Oculus App

- what do you mean by xx% in steam? xx% on slider, or xx% of resolution set in Oculus App?

Thanks in advance.

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Would doubt that a comparison of a G2 set to low res at 52% to a Quest 2 at 169% x 56% would make much sense. 

It's undersampling one while supersampling the other...

...then saying Q2 would be within 90% of the G2 as a general statement... I disagree. I don't think they'd be comparable regarding the picture. Picture quality of the Q2 was literally my sole focus when testing it. It's better compared to the Index and other gen 1.5s, while the G2 is a true gen 2 class device. 

The Q2 has different use cases and shines with software and portability imho.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

BH_Adabadoo_VR
13 hours ago, kostek said:

I have few followup questions:

- what's the resolution that you set on your googles, f.e. by using Oculus App

- what do you mean by xx% in steam? xx% on slider, or xx% of resolution set in Oculus App?

Thanks in advance.

I moved my response here so as not to spam up SCG_Fenris_Wolf's Spotting and Id tips topic.

Hope this helps.

I'll make a video this weekend on youtube.

BH_Adabadoo_VR
10 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Would doubt that a comparison of a G2 set to low res at 52% to a Quest 2 at 169% x 56% would make much sense. 

It's undersampling one while supersampling the other...

...then saying Q2 would be within 90% of the G2 as a general statement... I disagree. I don't think they'd be comparable regarding the picture. Picture quality of the Q2 was literally my sole focus when testing it. It's better compared to the Index and other gen 1.5s, while the G2 is a true gen 2 class device. 

The Q2 has different use cases and shines with software and portability imho.

Hi SCG_Fenris_Wolf.

As a wise man once said above, "Peace Brother"

I love your reviews and find them to be spot on.

But I've pushed the Quest 2 to it's limits and I've pushed the G2 to it's limits I have more to learn about each.

They both easily achieve 20/40.  I've gotten to 20/25 with the G2 pushing it to 6000 pixels and 8x MSAA with TESTHMD.

Not sure what I'll get when I try the Quest 2 with 3696 and 8x MSAA with TESTHMD.  And not sure what I'll get with G2 at 3696 and 8x MSAA.

I still need to test those to be apples to apples.  But both easily achieve 20/40. G2 easily achieves 20/35.  

If you're interested you can read about it here: 

(moved so as not to clog up the spotting tips topic)

This weekend I'll do more work to get to the limits and practical comparison of the G2 vs the Oculus resolution.

No doubt the G2 is better but I stand behind the Quest 2 approaches it when they run at the same pixels.

Thanks!

Blue_Bear
On 2/18/2018 at 11:53 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

If Vive Console was installed normally, go to

If Vive Console was installed via Steam, go to

What are the functional differences? Which source do you recommend?

Regards, Michael

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
On 6/30/2021 at 6:36 PM, Blue_Bear said:

What are the functional differences? Which source do you recommend?

Regards, Michael

Indifferent:good:

Is it still recommended to have HDR off?

(Index 100%SS, 2XMSAA, Extreme everything.)

Blue_Bear

I do not manage to realize an acceptable image with the Vive pro 2. Specifically an issue: Dropped frames that result in a jittery double image (pink lines in the fpsVR performance graph), which occur especially when I look at the instruments, even if the ms for the image buildup are well below 10 for both GPU and CPU.
There is no such thing with my WMR-G1 (WMR 4 SteamVR).
My hardware GPU: RTX 3090, CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, ...
Maybe someone has something comparable and can help me with their experiences, hints on settings.

Blue_Bear
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dburne said:

Try disabling Vive's Motion Compensation.

Tried enabled and disabled...

I have just made another test:
Without motion compensation, there are actually fewer dropped frames. However, the image (especially outside the cockpit) still jitters a lot and appears very blurry. Even a lower resolution (Vive-console: High, Balanced, Performance) does not change that. 

The resolution management of the Vive Pro 2 is a big mystery to me.

Edited by Blue_Bear

dburne
Posted (edited)

Have you tried running lower resolution in Steam VR?

I personally find if I can maintain 45 fps even with Motion Compensation off I get a very good experience.

Edited by dburne

Blue_Bear
2 hours ago, dburne said:

Have you tried running lower resolution in Steam VR?

SteamVR-resolution: 100 %.

By this I mean that the vive-console overrides or ignores the steamvr settings.

dburne

There is some kind of motion smoothing going on imho, even with Motion Compensation off in the Vive Console.

For instance I will be rocking a solid 45 fps, but if I get a dip it will dip down to 30 fps, then back up to 45 fps. And I fly with it off.

I believe if there was not motion smoothing going on that would not be the case and the fps would bounce in between more, but who knows.

TWHYata_PL

Not sure if that was mentioned in this topic but do we have a way to increase trees visibility /radius ? Pretty annoying in VR when trees pops up in near distance.

TCW_Brzi_Joe

Trees radius is determined by preset (ultra, high, medium?, optimised? and low). I think lowest is about 1.6km.

Beware, the trees are not only change, and higher presets hit performance a lot. 

• Upvote 1

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
On 7/7/2021 at 12:38 AM, dburne said:

There is some kind of motion smoothing going on imho, even with Motion Compensation off in the Vive Console.

For instance I will be rocking a solid 45 fps, but if I get a dip it will dip down to 30 fps, then back up to 45 fps. And I fly with it off.

I believe if there was not motion smoothing going on that would not be the case and the fps would bounce in between more, but who knows.

I've seen this again and again with former WMR users who didn't wipe their VR related files (re-install solely won't solve it, it's annoying indeed). You were using Oculus, right? 

Try getting rid of any plugin leftovers you have, the machine must be clean, no WMR software, no other, and in steam root folder check the configs folder to delete steamvr.vrsettings 🙂  

Well, I hope it solves it, it's a real mystery. And unfortunate. 

41 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

I've seen this again and again with former WMR users who didn't wipe their VR related files (re-install solely won't solve it, it's annoying indeed). You were using Oculus, right? 

Try getting rid of any plugin leftovers you have, the machine must be clean, no WMR software, no other, and in steam root folder check the configs folder to delete steamvr.vrsettings 🙂  

Well, I hope it solves it, it's a real mystery. And unfortunate. 

No I was using Reverb G2 and I did wipe all those files.

However I think you misunderstand, I am quite happy with my performance. It is pretty rare that it dips down to 30 fps.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

I'm trying to find go-to spotting settings for the Index. However I'm not seeing them on Post #1.

Can anyone tell me their recommended Index SS setting for spotting?

• Upvote 1

Algy-Lacey
On 7/9/2021 at 1:04 AM, TWHYata_PL said:

Not sure if that was mentioned in this topic but do we have a way to increase trees visibility /radius ? Pretty annoying in VR when trees pops up in near distance.

If you like to fly offline, there is a file that LizLemon shared that enables you to alter setting such as tree render distance / radius, it's called gpresets.zip

You can get it here... https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/39550-gpreset-tweaks-better-ssao-increased-saturation-ect/?tab=comments#comment-666106

I was looking for the same thing a while back and modifying the line Forest distance in gpresets you can change the radius of trees for each preset (Balanced or Ultra etc), anything from 1 to 5 (5 is same as Ultra preset) up to 7 (I believe that going above 7 won't work).

Here is a link to a post where I was discussing it... https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/61283-improved-forest-settings/?tab=comments#comment-933396

Happy Landings!

Algy-Lacey

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
ACG_Orb

I recently scored a new 3080 graphics card so want to work out what i can bump up.  I was running my Reverb G1 at 90% SS, going by the advice on page 1, I should be running at least 1.3 (130%). Is this correct?

Algy-Lacey

Why is there no setup guide for the Valve Index on the first page of this thread?

I will be setting up my Valve Index for the first time this evening, it would be great to get opinions on the best configuration of my Index for best spotting, Steam VR settings especially. So far, I have undestood that I need to set the SS in the per application settings of Steam VR to 1.3x the vertical resolution, which I believe is 1600 pixels, so x 1.3 that is 2080 pixels.

My rig is in my signature (i5 9600k @4.9 GHz, 32 Gb DDR4 2667 MHz RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080ti 11Gb graphics card)

Thanks!

Algy-Lacey

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
On 7/24/2021 at 6:45 PM, Algy-Lacey said:

Why is there no setup guide for the Valve Index on the first page of this thread?

I will be setting up my Valve Index for the first time this evening, it would be great to get opinions on the best configuration of my Index for best spotting, Steam VR settings especially. So far, I have undestood that I need to set the SS in the per application settings of Steam VR to 1.3x the vertical resolution, which I believe is 1600 pixels, so x 1.3 that is 2080 pixels.

My rig is in my signature (i5 9600k @4.9 GHz, 32 Gb DDR4 2667 MHz RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080ti 11Gb graphics card)

Thanks!

Algy-Lacey

The recommendations are moreso for the game itself, so it can be used for any headset. I sold my first Index for a Pimax 5K+, and returned my second Index back to Valve after purchase, as I got a Cosmos Elite with GearVR lenses.

1.3x to 1.5x, that is absolutely correct.

The settings are mostly the baseline to optimise spotting. What hardware you have then decides how far you can raise or lower SS by yourself, or adjust settings upwards/downwars.

There are so many different system configurations out there that we always need to assume that the user adjusts and finetunes his settings individually. Important is the baseline of in-game settings to optimise visibility, as for example avoiding FXAA/MSAA, and other in-engine solutions that blur objects against their background such as forests or mountains. People often complain about disappearing objects against the ground, or even against the sky, and these techniques are responsible for these issues. Shadows and the amount of native Supersampling are also quite important.

We originally found this out while flying in SCG in Schwärme of 4 to 8 folks, and the radical differences perceived in spotting - pilots were looking into the absolute correct direction. We then went on to figure out what was wrong, and these were the major correlations.

• Like 1

Algy-Lacey
39 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

1.3x to 1.5x, that is absolutely correct.

The settings are mostly the baseline to optimise spotting. What hardware you have then decides how far you can raise or lower SS by yourself, or adjust settings upwards/downwars.

There are so many different system configurations out there that we always need to assume that the user adjusts and finetunes his settings individually. Important is the baseline of in-game settings to optimise visibility, as for example avoiding FXAA/MSAA, and other in-engine solutions that blur objects against their background such as forests or mountains. People often complain about disappearing objects against the ground, or even against the sky, and these techniques are responsible for these issues. Shadows and the amount of native Supersampling are also quite important.

Thanks for the reply Fenris_Wolf.

In Steam VR it had a custom per eye resolution 100% which gave 2016 x 2240 (1440 x 1600 multiplied by 1.4), in the Per Application settings after I added IL-2 it said custom 100%  2016 x 2240 so, the same. I chose 80Hz mode and turned motion smoothing off.

Running the game I have Ultra settings with shadows on High, clouds on High, landscape filter on Blurry and no SSAO, no HDR, but Sharpen enabled. For my first flight I flew with MSAA x 2.

I have only just done the 1 flight so far with my Index and I must say that so far I'm very impressed, constant 80 fps, very smooth with no stutter. I find the image quality noticeably better than my old Oculus Rift CV1, the colours are more vibrant, there seems to be more contrast between the shadows inside the cockpit and the landscape outside, there is screen door effect if you really look for it, but the pixels are smaller than the Rift and it is a lot better in this regard.

Next I will try a big dogfight on the Bodenplatte map, as this is the one that really taxed my old pc. I will turn MSAA off and have a look for the difference in spotting.

Happy Landings!

Algy-Lacey

SCG_motoadve
8 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

This totally works, I was a fanatic about using MSAA, refused to turn it off.

The Vive Pro 2 has a softer pictures and high resolution, so finally turned MSAA x2 off, spotting is much better, big difference, and also much better performance, for once I dont miss AA.

• Like 2

Algy-Lacey

I have a medium to high specced PC and want to report my experiences using a Valve Index without motion smoothing and @ 80Hz, 100% SS (2016 x 2240 pixels).

I currently fly with these settings:

Ultra Preset

• Shadows                                      High
  • Mirrors                                         Medium
  • Distant Landscape Detail            x 4
  • Canopy Reflections                     Off
  • Horizon Draw Distance               150 km
  • Landscape Filter                          Blurred
  • Terrain Roughness                     Medium
  • Grass                                           Off
  • Clouds                                         Extreme
  • Antialiasing                                 Off
  • VSync                                          Off
  • SSAO                                           Off
  • HDR                                             Off
  • Sharpen                                       On

I have only flown Quick Missions thus far, in a solo spawn on the Kuban map I got 80 fps even with clouds and flying low over trees and buildings. I was getting mid 70's fps and some stuttering when flying low with Shadows on Ultra and MSAA x 2, so I put Shadows to High and disabled MSAA and attained a solid, smooth 80 fps. Running no MSAA or FXAA helps improve spotting contacts at distance and gives a fps boost. In a dogfight over Brussels on the Rheineland map I had a solid 80 fps even when flying low over the rooftops of Brussels. This would bring my old PC to its' knees.

At some point I will try a Mission with lots of ground activity, AI and 12 vs 12 fighters and bombers. If anyone can recommend a mission that comes with IL-2 or a user made mission that I can download, please let me know!

So far I am very happy with the performance I get with my PC and the image quality of my Index, it is a big step up from an Oculus Rift and the main area I wanted to see an improvement, screen door effect, is so much better in the Index... also I can keep 80 fps / 80 Hz with the Index (rather than failing to acheive 90 fps / Hz in the Rift) and the experience now is buttery smooth, no stutters.

My PC specs are in my signature,

i5 9600 k @ 4.9 GHz

Corsair Vengeance 32 Gb DDR4 2667 MHz

RTX 2080 ti 11 Gb

If I wanted to improve the performance of my PC even more, what upgrade would you choose? Perhaps faster RAM?

If someone has a similar PC to mine then the Valve Index is a perfect HMD. I even have an HP Reverb G2 that is unopened in it's packaging, I wouldn't be able to run high settings with it and it is for sale at a discount on RRP if anyone has the hardware needed to run it. It will come with an aftermarket face gasket that improves field of view.

Happy Landings!

Algy Lacey

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
LLv24_Zami

I'm not going to start another thread for this.

I'd like your opinion about running Reverb G2 with this setup:

Intel i5 11400f

16GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

GeForce 3060ti

How would it perform in Il-2?

BH_Adabadoo_VR
11 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

I'm not going to start another thread for this.

I'd like your opinion about running Reverb G2 with this setup:

Intel i5 11400f

16GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

GeForce 3060ti

How would it perform in Il-2?

my guestimates

i5 11600K

3060ti 3070 3080 3080ti 3090  
35 41 53 56 59 Goal Settings Reverb FULL Res
54 63 82 88 93 Goal Settings Reverb 52% Res
47 55 72 77 81 Current Settings Full HMD Res
66 77 100 107 112 Current Settings

Run on i7 6core@4400 with 1080ti GPU slight OC    
IL2 Quick Mission Average FPS FPS  
ULTRA, ALL MAX SETTINGS, 70km, 8x MSAA, Reverb Full Res 11  
ULTRA, ALL MAX SETTINGS, 40km, 2x MSAA, Reverb Full Res 27  
ULTRA, Shadows High, Clouds High, 70km, 2x FXAA, Reverb Full Res 30 Goal Settings
ULTRA, Shadows High, Clouds High, 70km, 2x FXAA, Reverb 52% Res 47 Goal Settings Low Res
MIKEY CURRENT PLAY SETTINGS___Balanced , Shadows High, Clouds High, 40km, 2x FXAA, Reverb Full Res 41 Current Settings Full HMD Res
MIKEY CURRENT PLAY SETTINGS___Balanced , Shadows High, Clouds High, 40km, 2x FXAA, Reverb 52% Res 57 Current Settings

https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/compare/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti/intel-core-i5-11400-vs-intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz/ultra/ultra/-vs-

Edited by BH_Adabadoo_VR
added
  • Thanks 1

KG_S_Jan097

So, i am gonna drop this here. https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr

This is a mod, that allows to run AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution in most VR games.
I use it only on the Flying Circus server due to the atrocious framerate over No man's land. I didn't bother setting up my games specifically for the mod.
I am running an HP Reverb G2 with an RTX 3070 on an specced down version of Fenris_Wolf's Absolute Quality setting and my fps jumps from 30 to easily 45 when dogfighting over No man's land(with the standard settings:77% Resolution and 0.5 Radius). I am probably ruining the image quality due to running it in tandem with Motion Smoothing, but hey it works. ;)
I dont have the time to really fiddle around with the settings, but im sure someone in this thread will be able to make use of this and/or test out how well it can work with IL-2.

P.S.: Unlike DLSS it works on both AMD and Nvidia Cards.

Edit: And of course i didn't see that someone posted this already in the VR Section of the forum. Sorry about that.

Edited by KG_S_Jan097
  • Thanks 1

BH_Adabadoo_VR
15 hours ago, KG_S_Jan097 said:

So, i am gonna drop this here. https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr

This is a mod, that allows to run AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution in most VR games.
I use it only on the Flying Circus server due to the atrocious framerate over No man's land. I didn't bother setting up my games specifically for the mod.
I am running an HP Reverb G2 with an RTX 3070 on an specced down version of Fenris_Wolf's Absolute Quality setting and my fps jumps from 30 to easily 45 when dogfighting over No man's land(with the standard settings:77% Resolution and 0.5 Radius). I am probably ruining the image quality due to running it in tandem with Motion Smoothing, but hey it works. ;)
I dont have the time to really fiddle around with the settings, but im sure someone in this thread will be able to make use of this and/or test out how well it can work with IL-2.

P.S.: Unlike DLSS it works on both AMD and Nvidia Cards.

Awesome I didn't have time to try it yet but am excited to hear it works.

I'm looking forward to trying it!!!

Also has anyone messed with Nvidia VRSS variable rate super sampling?  works with MSAA games in VR to vary sampling from center outward.  Basically foveated sampling.

I'm excited to try this too:

Nvidia VRSS

and especially to try it with FSR and the with radius on

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidia-vrss-a-zero-effort-way-to-improve-your-vr-image-quality/

https://www.roadtovr.com/new-nvidia-driver-adds-vrss-support-to-five-more-games-including-walking-dead-saints-sinners/

Edited by BH_Adabadoo_VR
added