VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 9th/Dec/2020

peregrine7

Kami_K220

I tried the latest G2 settings today and still got lots of artifacting. Not sure if I'm missing something. Did look nice however but hard to identify something at a distance when it is jumping and distorting all over the screen.

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

@Kami_K220

1. I don't know your setup, but: Many using Intel systems still get short frametime spikes. Every time there is a frametime spike, Motion Smoothing breaks and heavily artifacts. 

2. If a GPU cannot handle 55-60fps, we should not attempt to lock Motion Smoothing at 45Hz. If the system dips below 45fps and cannot feed the approximation anymore, Motion Smoothing breaks and heavily artifacts.

Motion Smoothing needs 2-3s to "calm down" properly. If by that time another performance issue / frametime spike hits, you may experience constant artifacting.

Legend:

fps = produced true frames per second

Hz = 1/s

P.S. 

You can monitor frametime behavior using fpsVR. SteamVR's inbuilt GPU graph flattens the spikes and doesn't display CPU. If you get frametime spikes during VR use, and you're running on an Intel system with an overclock - search for solutions online. It's your best bet. The reasons can be vastly different, but most likely related to improper overclocks, improper voltage settings as a result, misaligned RAM frequencies, etc. The same applies to AMD users with misaligned FCLK/MCLK, but they're much smoother in VR from my experience. Good luck! 

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Upvote 3

Kami_K220

Cheers Fenris_Wolf,

I have a 3080 with a 10900k.

I lt must be the CPU giving spikes then. May have to have a little play around.

Thanks for the info

Any suggestions for getting rid of tree/city flicker? Driving me somewhat nuts, doesn't make the game unplayable by any means but it's always there. Tried running the resolution all the way up to 1.7 with MSAA at 4x and it still persists.

TCW_Brzi_Joe
On 4/10/2021 at 11:58 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

If you still got the 8KX maybe you can run some tests

I made some tests on my Pimax 8kx, and it is not bad. My 2080ti holds half of 75fps (I expect update for 90fps) without problems. It looks beautiful, except few irritating features; view edges when taking off, sun and close planes in dogfight (all have double wings, it is harder to ID).

I made my spotting test; I have one track with furball in distance, and with track I tried to see as many planes there as possible. I counted 11 with this setrings, It was about 13 before. Not bad. I will try it more.

ps: After some time I figured on my pc I have less artefacts if my ss is 0.9 instead 1, so I use it 0.9

Edited by TCW_Brzi_Joe
  • Like 1

Blitzen
4 hours ago, MoleUK said:

Any suggestions for getting rid of tree/city flicker? Driving me somewhat nuts, doesn't make the game unplayable by any means but it's always there. Tried running the resolution all the way up to 1.7 with MSAA at 4x and it still persists.

Me too...

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
19 hours ago, Goldstein said:

Any quest 2 settings? Can i just follow the reverb guide? 

While I have tried the Quest 2 (courtesy of @StG2_Raven_VR), I don't have settings for the Quest 2 unfortunately.

As a general rule, if you can keep resolution natively and 90Hz while using the link (to avoid compression) it's a good direction already. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

While I have tried the Quest 2 (courtesy of @StG2_Raven_VR), I don't have settings for the Quest 2 unfortunately.

As a general rule, if you can keep resolution natively and 90Hz while using the link (to avoid compression) it's a good direction already. 

Technically there is no way to avoid video compression with a Quest using Link. That is how the Link tech works.

However Oculus apparently doing a pretty good job of improving on that technology. Now they are headed for wireless.

Now if he can keep it at 90 Hz he can avoid ASW.

• Upvote 1

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Ah yes, correct. My wording was imprecise:

I was referring to the difference between the Link cable and Wireless options. I could make out a clear difference there, with wireless showing compression artifacts now and then, while the Link cable was without any issue. Secondary but not of less importance may be the live time. If you fly an evening of 3-4 hours with your mates, you might as well go with the cable right away atm.

P.S. I think it's fantastic what the Quest 2 is and will be capable of (120Hz for example).

Spasticus

I currently play wireless exclusively (with a powerbank on the back of my head in a custom strap, gives me about 5 hours playtime) and it works great. I honestly don't notice any artifacts. I stream at fixed 150 Mbps bitrate. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2021 at 4:45 PM, Blitzen said:

Me too...

It looks like switching from Oculus link (using opencomposite) to Virtual Desktop has made the problem immediately much better, albeit not perfect yet. Will have to do more tweaking.

Not sure if that'll help in your situation or not, but for those on Q2 it's worth a try.

ACG_Quax

Hi,

I use a Reverb G2 and have the problem that my position in the plane sometimes gets adjusted. Its like the plane rotates a little bit so the nose points a little to the left or right and after a few seconds it rotates back. As if the headset has problems determining its position in the room. In DCS I can circumvent the problem by rendering the game window on the monitor quite small and have a lot of white space around it. That seems to help the headset. If I do the same in IL2 it leads to all sorts of problems, like the mouse being confined to only a part of the screen so I cant close the map for example (hotkey doesnt work either in this case).

Does anyone experience the same and have a solution for this?

Thx :)

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
16 minutes ago, ACG_Quax said:

Hi,

I use a Reverb G2 and have the problem that my position in the plane sometimes gets adjusted. Its like the plane rotates a little bit so the nose points a little to the left or right and after a few seconds it rotates back. As if the headset has problems determining its position in the room. In DCS I can circumvent the problem by rendering the game window on the monitor quite small and have a lot of white space around it. That seems to help the headset. If I do the same in IL2 it leads to all sorts of problems, like the mouse being confined to only a part of the screen so I cant close the map for example (hotkey doesnt work either in this case).

This happens if the room environment has changed. Placing a chair somewhere else, or a large folder on another part of the desk, can already lead to this.

The solution is to delete the room environment data in Windows' Mixed Reality Application regularly. 

Everytime something has changed, better delete the data. I do it daily as a first step whenever I start. :mellow: Welcome to WMR :biggrin::dash:

• Thanks 1

ACG_Quax
56 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

The solution is to delete the room environment data in Windows' Mixed Reality Application regularly. 

Thx will try that!

[CPT]Crunch
On 4/19/2021 at 7:30 AM, ACG_Quax said:

Hi,

Redo your seated position in WMR, make sure your on the line with the arrow exactly lined up in the gray steam waiting area.  It's been reported steam patches tend to mess up your seating alignment, why you keep getting thrown to the same off angle.  I think the G-2 gets confused when it suddenly lapses on tracking and than starts reading the steam input over the games.

CSW_Hot_Dog

Guys, I need quick help. I have Reverb G2 and because of current GPU sittuation, I will buy second-hand 1080ti or 2070 Super or 2080 as temporary solution. I know 2070 Super is slightly worse than 1080Ti while 2080 is slightly better in terms of RAW power. Also I know, that for VR benchmarks, 2080 and 2070 Super GPU are much better than 1080Ti, but dont know how is situation on current Il2 VR with deferred rendering. Before deferred rendering, 2080 was not better than 1080ti. Does anybody know, if 2080 is currently better choice for Il2 VR than 1080Ti, or is it the same? What would you choose?

Edited by CSW_Hot_Dog

Blitzen
On 4/24/2021 at 2:42 PM, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

Guys, I need quick help. I have Reverb G2 and because of current GPU sittuation, I will buy second-hand 1080ti or 2070 Super or 2080 as temporary solution. I know 2070 Super is slightly worse than 1080Ti while 2080 is slightly better in terms of RAW power. Also I know, that for VR benchmarks, 2080 and 2070 Super GPU are much better than 1080Ti, but dont know how is situation on current Il2 VR with deferred rendering. Before deferred rendering, 2080 was not better than 1080ti. Does anybody know, if 2080 is currently better choice for Il2 VR than 1080Ti, or is it the same? What would you choose?

I just happen to have the very one just removed from my PC ..... one owner and driven by an elderly gentleman ( me!) and I was just going to put it up on EBAY .Make me a reasonable offer.PM it to me & its yours!

CSW_Hot_Dog
8 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I just happen to have the very one just removed from my PC ..... one owner and driven by an elderly gentleman ( me!) and I was just going to put it up on EBAY .Make me a reasonable offer.PM it to me & its yours!

Hi, Thank you for an offer, but I will buy one inside my country. Shipping from USA to Europe would only complicate matters.

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

That's great, the WiFi setup I had here for it may not have been optimal.:good:

Blitzen

FINALLY, I got a 3080ti card! 

( Warning : what follows is an unashamed ringing unsolicited endorsement of BESTBUY and the GeekSquad there so read on if you care to.)

After months of searching Ebay , Amazon & all  the usual suspects I was able to buy a used 2080 ti through Amazon for about $1300.00 ,not the best price perhaps but the only 2080 card i could find at the time. Unfortunately the GeekSquad ,upon examining my 2 year old PC with a 1080 ti card, just shook their head and said that there wasn't enough room physically to fit the new bigger card in the old case. They pushed me over to the PC department to see if I could buy a built inexpensive new PC and use it to put the 2080 in it.The guy in the PC dept. there just shook his head and muttered it wasn't such a good idea,...why not just buy to PC WITH a 3080 card? My turn to shake my head : don't exist yet, and if they do they're sold out & if they aren't sold out they're too expensive. He said "Let's check!?"  Unbelievably he found one in a BestBuy Lynnwood Washington not 10 minutes away .It was the only one there ,in an opened box, but if I hurried out I might just be able to get it-if I hurried!

It was till there & of course I did buy it for about $1450.00 less a new account Best Buy reward of $150.00!  A brand new ASUS GeForce 3080 gaming PC.So nearly the same price of the used 2080 card. Still pricey but not  as bad as trying to find just the 3080 card all by itself.

But like all things in this modern age I wasn't done yet .The process of transferring all my saved files from my old PC to the new one ,it was found that the ASUS card didn't have enough room for the volumes of info I had on my old PC- there wasn't enough room for it and GB. Very long story short I had back up everything prior to purchase on a large external "My Book" so we could use it as part of the transfer .Unfortunately I dropped self same external drive on the way back to Best Buy.I t was inoperable- everything appeared to be toast...my whole life: toast. The GeekSquad rode to the rescue : after more than a week trying various options in saving the plethora of files they got them all out and put them on a newly installed 4TB internal drive ( after another BestBuy discount priced at about $20.00!) Now I had enough room for everything, but I took GeekSquad's advice & marched over to my old friend in the PC dept. and bough a 5TB external drive as a permanent back up for everything!  After $100.00 discount about $10.00!

I've shortened the narrative greatly , but the point is I am now up to date & all the various trouble shooting & solving, all the service & advice from the GeekSquad through my account was absolutely free & fast. High marks!

Of course its a revelation in game play both in clarity & FPS number with my ReverbG2-wonderful ! BUT I need help on one or two issues that I was able to solve before, but seem to be held up now. I can't get into making changes in my Steam VR settings to match you suggestions .I 've found the win64/vrpathreg.exe file but don't seem able to open it anymore. Is there some trick I've forgotten to get in & change the "config" files .Is this really necessary to make noticeable changes in the optics of game play? 

With this great new card I haven't touched anything in the settings option in the Steam VR 1.16.10 box that shows up on screen after activating it on Steam....with everything looking good now is it worth the effort to play with the various sliders like I did with the old 1080ti install? Just wondering. Finally I have copied down all the settings that could be programmed through Nvidia settings, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that thses didn't make any real difference with GB et al.Can you advice?

I'm probale forgetting something , but this missive has probably gone on long enough- thanks you for your patience & forthcoming advice!

( BTW I was able to return the 2080ti card through Amazon for a full refund! Now does anyone want a slightly used 1080 ti card?? Anyone???)

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Congratulations on your new GPU! I trust it is a 3080 and not a 3080ti, or you'd be the first one I witness to have gotten one! :)

The first post has been updated probably more than a dozen times since the vrpathreg.exe days @Blitzen, so you may want to scrap any text you have saved locally, and take a look in there, the first post ;)

Enjoy your new stuff and see you around :D 

Blitzen
On 5/11/2021 at 3:51 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Congratulations on your new GPU! I trust it is a 3080 and not a 3080ti, or you'd be the first one I witness to have gotten one! :)

The first post has been updated probably more than a dozen times since the vrpathreg.exe days @Blitzen, so you may want to scrap any text you have saved locally, and take a look in there, the first post ;)

Enjoy your new stuff and see you around 😄

Absolutely right ( as usual!) 🤑

TCW_Brzi_Joe

SteamVR Beta new update (1.17.10) just removed for some HMDs setting per application "motion smoothing always on".

I do not have it any more for Pimax, and it is changed also for all Windows Mixed Reality headsets.

Spoiler

SteamVR Beta 1.17.10

Fix per-app motion smoothing setting being hidden for Windows Mixed Reality headsets. Also exposed the global setting for them. Details: Headsets that use their own compositor have the current settings communicated to them, but it is up to the driver author to handle them. WMR for SteamVR does respect these settings. The Oculus driver does not (there is no API in the Oculus SDK to control ASW at this time), so the Motion Smoothing controls will remain hidden for Oculus headsets, and those users will need to continue using Oculus tools for adjusting.

• Thanks 1

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TCW_Brzi_Joe said:

SteamVR Beta new update (1.17.10) just removed for some HMDs setting per application "motion smoothing always on".

I do not have it any more for Pimax, and it is changed also for all Windows Mixed Reality headsets.

Reveal hidden contents

SteamVR Beta 1.17.10

Fix per-app motion smoothing setting being hidden for Windows Mixed Reality headsets. Also exposed the global setting for them. Details: Headsets that use their own compositor have the current settings communicated to them, but it is up to the driver author to handle them. WMR for SteamVR does respect these settings. The Oculus driver does not (there is no API in the Oculus SDK to control ASW at this time), so the Motion Smoothing controls will remain hidden for Oculus headsets, and those users will need to continue using Oculus tools for adjusting.

Correct, that is absolutely true. My recommendation is, of course, as a result, to stay off the Beta for WMR users too. Thanks for pointing this out @TCW_Brzi_Joe!

Blitzen

I have set up everything as per your suggestions for my new 3080 install of ReverbG@...BUT I have been unable to get into thewin\64\vrpathreg.exe file to adjust as per your instructions. I've done as you suggest by typing in the address, and my PC says it can't be done. I've "browsed for the file & entered it that way & nothing appears to happen.

I've just gone to where the file is 7 tried opening it there with various openers & just can't find the right one.

Before I give up & go back to happily playing the sim perhapa you might set me on the right path? I'd appreciate it.🤔

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
On 5/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, Blitzen said:

I have set up everything as per your suggestions for my new 3080 install of ReverbG@...BUT I have been unable to get into thewin\64\vrpathreg.exe file to adjust as per your instructions. I've done as you suggest by typing in the address, and my PC says it can't be done. I've "browsed for the file & entered it that way & nothing appears to happen.

I've just gone to where the file is 7 tried opening it there with various openers & just can't find the right one.

Before I give up & go back to happily playing the sim perhapa you might set me on the right path? I'd appreciate it.🤔

Mate, I've already said things have changed. You won't find the file there anymore. For the Pimax, use Pitool/Pimax experience, and I recommend you to check out their forums for help.

You can adjust the maximum render resolution in their Pimax experience tool :good:

ACG_PanzerV

So, playing the Newegg Shuffle game, and landed a GPU I didn't really want.  Got a Gigabyte Eagle NX6700XT - it is currently replacing my founders edition Nvidia 2070 Super.  Installed, grabbed the AMD/Gigabyte software, and it runs.  However...

- I get some very weird distortion when I load the game.  It is not present when I enter the sim, but almost looks like water drops or a similar distortion effect in the game interface screens.  Any idea what this is or what causes it?

- Ran initially at the same settings I got from this thread (look good but adequate performance, not the competitive one) and it produced...  pretty much the same FPS I had with my 2070S.  Seemed somewhat smoother, but not dramatically.  Disappointing.  Still running not much better than 45fps in any mode.

- Tried turning up a few more of the visuals.  MSAA led to horrible FPS hit.  

- Overall, not seeing anything like a $1000 increase in performance.  

Are there any settings for AMD cards I should address on this?  I literally just plugged it in.  Didn't alter anything on the drivers/software other than installing it.  Or should I just unload it on Ebay and wait to hit a 3070 or 3080 on the shuffle?  FYSA system is on an I-7 10700K OC to 34% on ASUS ROG STRIX 490 mobo w/ 16gb RAM.

Wait, are you saying I should run in native resolution then SS 1.3 in Steam VR?

I'm using 1.3 in Oculus and 100% in Steam VR at 72hz and even then it stutters and I have drops every now and then.
(i5-10600K (XMP II), 32GB RAM, RTX 2070, 970 EVO nvme, Quest 2 with airlink/vd (I know it's not optimal but a good router was the same price as that link cable so I went with this until I can afford the cable))

All these settings are so confusing. I thought I had it dialed in a couple of days ago (somehow using higher settings ingame gave me better FPS) but then I started to fiddle more with the settings to get it perfect and now I'm worse off and I've forgotten what those settings were. Does HDR really impact the performance that much btw?

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Yes, HDR impacts performance especially in combination with high clouds/shadows and ultra preset. Have a cloud layer there and see performance tank. 

For Quest 2: As I said before, I cannot give advice on the Quest 2 as I don't have it... I only tested it shortly.

BH_Adabadoo_VR
Posted (edited)

I did a bunch of benchmarking IL2 graphic settings to try to optimize my VR experience.

I was shocked by some of the settings results.  If you don't care how I got the results scroll down to the table to see the results.

I had been playing with 40km distance as I thought expanding that out would have been a huge hit to fps.

Turns out maxing out at 150km hardly impacts my fps.

I did all this because I'm about to upgrade my computer and wanted to get an idea of what I could expect on the new system.

I realize this has been done before and all of these choices are very subjective. But I wanted to see how each individual setting effected my computer.

I'm not sure how well the results will scale.  My guess is less powerful computers would see larger % impacts scaled similarly.

I hope these results help others make good choices in trade-offs between the various settings.

Here's my current computer specs used in benchmarks:

i7 6850k all cores at 4400

evga 1080ti slightly over clocked

64gb 3200 cl14 ram

ssd

Headsets used:

HP Reverb G2 @ steamvr sample 52%

Oculus Quest2 set at 1.2 and steamvr 70%

both around 2280x2280 per eye

The test method was to use baseline settings and only change one thing at a time and re-test.  The test was a quick mission dogfight.

I used Hwinfo64 to record the fps to log file and after clipping the beginning and end took the average fps for each run.

Baseline settings got 60fps.

I mostly use an HP Reverb G2 so mixed reality.

The biggest hit to performance was actually using projection.  I don't like projection for IL2 because of the artifacts it causes with propellers and gunsights and tiny airplanes. But it also actually really drops my FPS the most. I went from 60 with it on to 74 fps with it off!

The next big hit to performance is your choice of main quality.  The range for me was 71fps on low to 53fps on ultra balanced was baseline at 60fps.

The next biggest hit is MSAA 2x or above AA.  Any MSAA kills fps in this sim. It's a 10% hit for me.

With a Quest2 or HP Reverb G2 the pixels are so small you really don't need much AA.  You only need enough to get rid of any shimmering on edges of things in the distance. So I use FXAA 2x and that was baseline. This gets rid of any shimmer for me and also smooths edges very naturally.  I'm looking for a realistic view not a spotting view but the results should help anyone tune for their goal.

My baseline was balanced main setting with high shadows and high clouds and I got 60fps.  If you went to ultra shadows or extreme clouds you did not get much of hit.

Dropping down to Medium from high on both get's large gains. I used to like mirrors but I've been playing without recently.  I liked complex because it showed bombs exploding in the mirror.  Complex mirrors is a pretty big hit.

The setting I had expected to be a HUGE hit wasn't detectable at all.  I went from 40km horizon draw distance to 150km and got same 60fps.

That makes a huge difference in navigation and view totally worth cranking that all the way up.

After all that testing I have 3 settings choices I'm trading off to see where I end up.

Same as my old baseline but with 150km.  This gets me 60fps.

Going up to HIGH from Balanced, 150km but lowering clouds and shadows to medium, this also gets 60fps.  

And my favorite:

Going to ULTRA, 150km clouds and shadows high, drops to 45fps on a very cloudy day.  But it doesn't drop below 40fps and will get 60fps average if there are no clouds.  The clouds finally look amazing and every thing looks better with ULTRA and the quality it adds to everything. I may stick with that.

Sorry so long.  Hope it is helpful to others.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet of all the tests and research:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IfRuDtNQJDjzci9V-MxPwlPzr3y5RN3_xdBs7DV5c1U/edit?usp=sharing

There are several tabs in the spreadsheet.  The summary below is from the IL2 Settings tab.

Here's the summary BOLD items show the biggest performance changes.

IL2 Graphic Settings BASELINE AVG FPS 60 FPS Change FPS % Change Baseline Test  
WMR Projection & DX11 On / Off WMR Projection & DX11 Off / On 74 14 23% On / Off  

Main Quality                
BASELINE SETTINGS BALANCED Main Quality BALANCED BALANCED 60 0 0% BALANCED  
    Main Quality LOW LOW 71 11 18%    
    Main Quality HIGH HIGH 55 -5 -8%    
    Main Quality ULTRA ULTRA 53 -7 -12%    

Screen Resolution 1920x1080 Screen Resolution         1920x1080  
UI Scale Auto UI Scale         Auto  
Shadows quality High Shadows quality High to Medium 64 4 7% High  
Shadows quality High Shadows quality High to Ultra 59 -1 -2% High  
Mirrors Complex Mirrors Complex to off 77 5 7% Complex Projection off
Distant landscape detail x4 Distant landscape detail x4 to x1 60 0 0% x4  
Canopy Reflections High Canopy Reflections High to off 78 3 4% High Projection off
Horizon draw distance 40 km Horizon draw distance 40km to 150km 58 58 -2 -3% 40 km  
Landscape filter Blurred Landscape filter         Blurred  
Terrain roughness High Terrain roughness         High  
Grass quality Ultra Grass quality Ultra to Normal 61 1 2% Ultra  
Clouds quality High Clouds quality High to Medium 63 3 5% High  
Clouds quality High Clouds quality High to Extreme 58 -2 -3% High  
Antialiasing type FXAA Antialiasing type FXAA2 to MSAA2 54 -6 -10% FXAA  
Antialiasing 2 Antialiasing FXAA2 to MSAA2 54 -6 -10% 2  
Target FPS Off Target FPS         Off  
Dynamic resolution factor Full Dynamic resolution factor         Full  
Gamma correction 1 Gamma correction         1  
Full screen On Full screen         On  
Enable VR HMD On Enable VR HMD         On  
Multi GPU support Can't Multi GPU support         Can't  
Vsync Not VR Vsync         Not VR  
SSAO On SSAO Both SSAO and HDR on to off 60.5 0.5 1% On  
HDR On HDR Both SSAO and HDR on to off 60.5 0.5 1% On  
Sharpen Off Sharpen         Off  
Use 4K textures On Use 4K textures         On  
Distant buildings On Distant buildings         On  

Edited by BH_Adabadoo_VR
tweaking
  • Like 3

BH_Adabadoo_VR
Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2021 at 5:30 AM, ACG_Quax said:

Hi,

I stopped using room scale and do seated setup.  I redo it every time.  It's super quick, each mixed reality startup i redo seated position looking straight ahead then mixed reality for steam vr i also recenter view and im good to go. 

But if it's still losing tracking as you describe try the following:

Make sure you have enough light in room.  Turn on lights.  Make sure not direct sunlight if possible close shades.  No reflective surfaces like windows right in front.

Drape a towel over monitor and tape printed pattern to it.  Also randomly tape printed random patterns on walls around room.  After all of that erase environment and redo seated position.  It will learn the taped positions of things.  If you drape something over monitor make sure you redo seated position every time as the pattern will change with the draping.    Mixed reality tracking is ok, Reverb G2 made it better but it's not as good as Quest 2 or Vive tracking.

Mixed reality tracking does need lights on but doesn't like reflections or infrared blasting.

Edited by BH_Adabadoo_VR

BH_Adabadoo_VR

On 4/16/2021 at 4:11 AM, MoleUK said:

Try:

landscape filtering blur

FXAA 2x

turn sharpen off

I don't have any issue with shimmer on trees or landscape or city

Below ULTRA main settings the clouds will shimmer in the distance on super cloudy days.

At UTRA main settings with clouds set to high even the cloud shimmer is gone.

I get 45fps average on super cloudy day on ULTRA with high clouds and everything looks awesome in HP Reverb G2 running at 52% which is still way higher res than last gen headset.  Blows away the visuals of my old Samsung Odyssey Plus.  Quest 2 also looks almost as good.

Dutch2

For some strange reason 1C can not solve shimmer problems and still having difficulties in eliminating jaggies.

In my expedition to reducing shimmer, I did try all different shimmering solutions I could search here at this forum, while nothing did help. For me the only method that did show directly visible results, is to set the down sampling  in SteamVR to a very high %. As a result you have to use DRS (0,8 or 0,9), reprojection to 45FPS and shift-down most of the ingame adjustments, otherwise the game will be unplayable, when the game pulls lots of graphic performance. 

Be aware it could be on your rig different.

Dutch2

@BH_Adabadoo_VR  nice testing, the forum results are a bit difficult to read, but the spreadsheet download is better to understand. Its also for me clear to see that its all depending on hardware you using when comparing the results from my tests and the others.  In my case the graphic settings in Nvidia CP like Ambient Occlusion, MSAA & Aniosotropic filtering does not do anything so I did set this to application controlled. Gives me something to re-check if its helps at my rig and if so think I’m going to retry Nvidia inspector. 

BH_Adabadoo_VR
1 hour ago, Dutch2 said:

@BH_Adabadoo_VR  nice testing, the forum results are a bit difficult to read, but the spreadsheet download is better to understand. Its also for me clear to see that its all depending on hardware you using when comparing the results from my tests and the others.  In my case the graphic settings in Nvidia CP like Ambient Occlusion, MSAA & Aniosotropic filtering does not do anything so I did set this to application controlled. Gives me something to re-check if its helps at my rig and if so think I’m going to retry Nvidia inspector. 

I don't think many of the settings in NVIDIA controls do anything in IL2 either.

The Aniosotropic filtering in IL2 seems to be landscape blur or sharpen.  I like blur as it looks more natural to me.  Off shimmers like crazy. Sharp looks pretty good too but looks unnaturally sharp like there is no atmosphere.  They all seem to have negligible effect on performance. I'm redoing the charts now to make them more linear from baseline.  I learned alot doing my first run through.  I don't get the shimmering your discussing.  The link to spreadsheet is constantly being updated.  When I get new computer in a few weeks I'll update with that hardware too.

• SCG_Fenris_Wolf changed the title to Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, Vive Pro 2, Reverb G2, etc.
SCG_Fenris_Wolf

- 10.06.2021 Update

- Added Vive Pro 2 Setup, Vive Console, Settings for SteamVR/IL-2

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

- 10.06.2021 Update

- Added Vive Pro 2 Setup, Vive Console, Settings for SteamVR/IL-2

👍

Good timing for me, much appreciated!

BH_Adabadoo_VR
On 6/6/2021 at 12:43 AM, Dutch2 said:

For some strange reason 1C can not solve shimmer problems and still having difficulties in eliminating jaggies.

In my expedition to reducing shimmer, I did try all different shimmering solutions I could search here at this forum, while nothing did help. For me the only method that did show directly visible results, is to set the down sampling  in SteamVR to a very high %. As a result you have to use DRS (0,8 or 0,9), reprojection to 45FPS and shift-down most of the ingame adjustments, otherwise the game will be unplayable, when the game pulls lots of graphic performance. 

Be aware it could be on your rig different.

So after a bunch of benchmark testing I started testing with lots of clouds.

I saw shimmering in distance with clouds no matter the setting until I set ULTRA as the main setting and clouds to high.

BALACED vs ULTRA main settings effect pretty much everything and they have a huge effect on quality of clouds in distance but they defiantly cause a hit to fps.

Going from Balanced to Ultra takes me from 60 to 46 fps avg with lots of clouds.  Without clouds it still goes up to about 60fps at times.

For me it's worth the hit.  Everything looks amazing.

Sorry for the mic during game.  It's hard to hear what I'm saying but it's basically the first part is balanced and the clouds in distance don't look great and shimmer but I get 60+fps.  Second part clouds look great but I get 46 fps.

• Thanks 1

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

- 12.06.2021 Update

- Adjusted SteamVR section, adjusted Vive Pro 2 Vive Console (Motion Smoothing)

P.S. 100% SS is a floating value for the Pro2, so only take absolute resolutions  to compare with others please. Also, HTC has declared that Motion Compensation in the VC is just a setting to set Valve's Motion Smoothing to On/Off. Upon closer inspection no difference can be made out between the two and it seems to be just a trigger to it indeed. Do not listen to the parroting influencers on YouTube, even roadtovr, they are wrong.

Source: HTC's response visible at Babeltechreviews.com "3070ti review, performance test page 5", and yours truly.